• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus - Steam Early Access |OT| Four-players. Twin-sticks. 60 frames

Paz

Crazy that Sony is helping out so much and it's not console exclusive to them. Frame rate is really good for a game like this.

Do you think you could add controller support to the PC version. I'm using a modified DS3 right now on Steam.

I've used a DS3 many times to play the game, are you having trouble? The game should support any XBox-Like controller on PC and most direct input devices.

And yeah it's crazy how generous Sony have been towards us, crazy awesome :) That whole "Don't be jerks" thing is not marketing crap, they really are just passionate gamers.

Shaneus

Oh god, this could be epic as hell:
iH30OIo.png

anddo0

Damn I suck. The whole battery mechanic is literally killing me. I guess there's no ducking for cover in this game. It gives a new meaning to "killing to survive".

Shaneus

Damn I suck. The whole battery mechanic is literally killing me. I guess there's no ducking for cover in this game. It gives a new meaning to "killing to survive".
That's the idea. I think Paz told me at AusPAX (or I saw it on a YT video) that mechanic is specifically designed so you can't just camp and hope to be the last one standing. Great idea to keep the game moving, IMO.

Nabs

Really cool demo. The game is on my wishlist for sure.

The game also runs really well. I was able to stream for friends with no perf. issues.

I've used a DS3 many times to play the game, are you having trouble? The game should support any XBox-Like controller on PC and most direct input devices.

And yeah it's crazy how generous Sony have been towards us, crazy awesome :) That whole "Don't be jerks" thing is not marketing crap, they really are just passionate gamers.

It works with joy motion. I didn't see any in game controller options though.

Deitus

Wow, I had no idea this was coming out already (even if it is only early access at this point). I voted for it on Greenlight months ago when it was first posted, back before I knew a Gaffer was working on it. What a pleasant surprise to see it's now playable, and just a week after the PS4/Vita versions were announced.

Anyway, I just played the demo for about an hour, and I absolutely love it. Such a pretty game, with fantastic music, and those level changing animations are mesmerizing.

And of course it's a ton of fun to play so far. I had to play through the full demo with every character
(including the unlockable character)
. I wasn't expecting that all of the characters would have unique playstyles, but there is definitely a lot of variety there. I finally managed to get an S+ on one level, but I still can't get above a C on the boss with any character. This is definitely a game that will keep me coming back for more.

Still, I think I will hold off on buying this until the game fully releases. I don't say that as any kind of assessment of the current state of the game; if anything it is super polished. I just would prefer to play it as a finished product.

Paz

It works with joy motion. I didn't see any in game controller options though.

One of the options should let you change the input device you are using, or alternatively whatever device you use to progress past the 'start' screen will be set as player 1 (unless you change it in the earlier mentioned options menu).

Thanks for the love everyone :D It's great to see the game in peoples hands. If you have feedback don't shy away from letting me know, that's how we make things better :)

And on a marketing level, tell your friends! haha.

Congrats Paz... i've known you for many years on the internets, I never thought you had it in you.

I'm stoked for you mate, I hope it sells a ton!

wilflare

I can't wait to get home and try out the demo!

(And my Vita is eagerly waiting for the Vita version)

Congrats guys! :D

Btw, if you guys wish, you can give some codes to mod Opiate for the GAF Bingo :D

Paz

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mate :p Thanks though, it means a lot that after all these years to see familiar faces of support.

It has been an interesting day though, our sales tracking isn't working and I think 2 websites in the entire world covered our launch, I wonder what tomorrow will bring!

Edit:

Btw, if you guys wish, you can give some codes to mod Opiate for the GAF Bingo :D

Started organising it few weeks back and already sent him some keys :)

wilflare

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mate :p Thanks though, it means a lot that after all these years to see familiar faces of support.

It has been an interesting day though, our sales tracking isn't working and I think 2 websites in the entire world covered our launch, I wonder what tomorrow will bring!

Edit:

Started organising it few weeks back and already sent him some keys :)

I regret not knowing about this game (and you guys) earlier!

Awesomeeeee! :D hehe hopefully I can get lucky enough to have AndroidCactus as my first GAF Bingo win ever!

I'll definitely be buying the Vita version (Cross-Buy FTW) and PS+ launch discount please!

Shengar

The game looks really great and fun! I wish indie games have graphic much more like this. Don't know if I have to buy this on Steam or just have to wait for Vita version....

No plans for XBone at the moment, last time we heard from Microsoft (E3 time) they didn't want us on their platform.

6 SKU's across with 3 developer's will keep us busy for some time :)

So much for MS going indie friendly.

Also for some reason I thought this was ps4 exclusive, will there be a demo on steam?

edit: I see there is a demo, good!
try before you buy I always say, will definitely check it out.

Paz

Is this your own engine or is it by chance unreal?

Powered by Unity, and we've been pretty conscious about our optimisation so the game runs on just about anything (60fps on decent Intel integrated graphics!).

One guy (Gaf user Sycle) does ALL the graphics & programming!

Powered by Unity, and we've been pretty conscious about our optimisation so the game runs on just about anything (60fps on decent Intel integrated graphics!).

One guy (Gaf user Sycle) does ALL the graphics & programming!

Vita/PS4 versions will be unity too ?
Have they added support for them already in Unity ( i think it was supposed to come out later) ?

iavi

Game is fantastic. Chewed through a bit of the demo with KB/M and it controlled perfectly.

Incredibly frantic, but it doesn't feel cheap in how it kills you.

My only complaint at the moment, and it's a weird one, is the menu design. In game everything from the hud, to the models, to the levels come together in this really arcadey, charming package. But the menus where you select the androids & levels, my goodness.

That's the idea. I think Paz told me at AusPAX (or I saw it on a YT video) that mechanic is specifically designed so you can't just camp and hope to be the last one standing. Great idea to keep the game moving, IMO.

Not sold on it. Camping is the last thing I do when I play arena shooters, yet despite my constant running and weaving I still am getting warning low battery and having to rush to pick it up. Seems a bit forced at this stage. Not sure limiting play style choices is a good bit of design anyway.

Game seems pretty solid despite this questionable choice. Good job guys.

Frodo

By the way, it's coming to Wii U in early 2014 :) I know you wanted that one!

Good news!

Game looks amazing! Those gifs are mindblowing!

Edit: Do I see Linux support on Steam? That's great! Might buy it on Steam then! :D

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Played for a little bit tonight and it was good fun. So far I've only unlocked Starch but the Androids are all pretty neat. So far I find myself gravitating toward Holly and Coral the most. Also, feeling it a lot more with my battery running down going into the batch of levels after the first boss. Very enjoyable game. =)

Paz

Vita/PS4 versions will be unity too ?
Have they added support for them already in Unity ( i think it was supposed to come out later) ?

Not something I can really talk about sorry, but it sounds like you have some solid information. We're targeting early 2014 release for the console platforms and focussing on the PC version this year.

Starch is currently our only unlockable character but we're working on 3 more to be unlocked throughout the campaign, totally open to ideas on what their play style & weapons should be!

iavi - Understood about the menus, I actually kind of dig the character select screen (probably biased since we spent a while on it, and its designed for future features to slot in) but our level select screen is 100% debug. We have a fairly solid plan for how its going to work but it's lower on our list of priorities right now, we want to get leaderboards up and running and finish the campaign/characters ASAP.

Enjoying the hell out of this.

cactus2013-08-2919-24zyswi.png

Tried to capture a run in FRAPS but it can out like a slideshow. What's the best program for that kind of thing? Was planning on doing some gifs of when it gets hectic!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Enjoying the hell out of this.

cactus2013-08-2919-24zyswi.png

Tried to capture a run in FRAPS but it can out like a slideshow. What's the best program for that kind of thing? Was planning on doing some gifs of when it gets hectic!

Fark!

How are you playing? i'm mouse and keyboard.. but on a projector.. can't seem to get my mouse sensitive enough so I keep getting caught out :(

just went through the first 5 or 6 stages swapping androids every time i died or every level.

Some of them are really difficult for solo! (the straight line shooters).

I have to say i'm a fan of.. I forget her name.. but the one with the shot gun. I can see her playing an incredibly strong role in co-op. Already enjoying just luring the enemies down corridors then BAM weapon 2 and charge out with shot gun pew pew pew.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
There you go! =D

*edit*
I hadn't kept up with this thread as I was skimming on my phone earlier to read impressions then just came to the last page on my PC.

Any chance of an official soundtrack release? It is fucking AMAZING! Really well woven into the action too, I needed to turn everything else down a touch though for the full effect. Gets the blood pumping!
Brings to mind the kind of score someone like Yamaoka would bring to a game like this, so good!

Fark!

How are you playing? i'm mouse and keyboard.. but on a projector.. can't seem to get my mouse sensitive enough so I keep getting caught out :(

K/M on my PC, default sensitivity worked fine once I got the hang of it again in the tutorial!

ufo8mycat

Wish this was a launch title for PS4. I can't wait to play it when it releases.

So tempted to download this for PC, but damn I'd rather save this to play on PS4.

Early 2014 release I can wait I guess.

Cannot wait for this game.

Honestly looking forward to it more then Killzone Shadow.

The gameplay in Assault Android looks like so much fun!!!!

wilflare

I completed the demo! this is awesome :D but somehow I feel I would enjoy playing it much more on my Vita!

is there gonna be a dodge button added to this somehow? :p

Shaneus

iavi - Understood about the menus, I actually kind of dig the character select screen (probably biased since we spent a while on it, and its designed for future features to slot in) but our level select screen is 100% debug. We have a fairly solid plan for how its going to work but it's lower on our list of priorities right now, we want to get leaderboards up and running and finish the campaign/characters ASAP.
I know what the first thing I thought of was:
4lIfaG2.jpg

You'll be able to answer this for me (not as the dev but as a gamer): What's the score/ranking screen music reminding me of? I can't work out whether it's a platformer or maybe I'm thinking Virtua Racing menu music? Maybe the end stage music in Outrun 2/C2C? I thought it was an action game though, where things were similarly hectic but at the end it's almost like this sedate "intermission"-type music. (Edit: Maybe it's this I'm thinking of? Almost definitely Sega, at least.)

I think I ran into my first semi-kinda bug too, in one of the levels where gaps in the floor have cubes rise out of them (it also has the changing conveyor belts) one of the big guys was stuck in one of those cubes as it came up for a bit. I guess it should knock him over instead?

Otherwise, loving the hell out of it. Very, very tight. Proud of you guys :)

Paz

Good calls Shaneus :D I think you're bang on with the period/style but I don't know if there was a specific reference, Jeff is just an old school musician who loves that kind of music, he knows some crazy secrets about how to get the best possible music out of the Megadrive! Just listen to his tracks in Skitchin.

It has actually been thrilling to work with Jeff on this more game-y music after knowing him mainly as a soulful Total War composer, I think he's really enjoying the ability to cut lose with some over the top and retro synths.

Top Bottom