• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

- Ratings
The launch of FX’s genre-defying Atlanta, starring its creator, Donald Glover, got off to a strong start, early ratings indicate, generating nearly 1.1M viewers at 10 PM Tuesday, after which a second episode logged 960K viewers. Among 18-49 year olds, the new series set in the world of local hip-hop copped a crowd of 680K and 618K.

These are Live + Same Day stats, which FX dismisses as showing only a sliver of a show’s audience in today’s TV universe.

That said, the initial stats bode well compared to the network’s January premiere of Baskets, co-created by and starring Zach Galifianakis, logged Live + Same Day 1.04M viewers and 252K in the demo – both of which Atlanta outlapped.
L+3 and L+7 are what they're most interested in, ratings-wise, and those should be available next week.

Geist-

Holy fuck this show. The scene with the mentally ill guy getting beaten by the cops, actually, pretty much the entire time in the jail, too fucking real.

Great show.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
what a fantastic start for the show, I had high hopes and these two episodes were even better than I expected. absolutely loved it.

Rewatching the first episode and there is definitely more to that opening scene than meets the eye, even beyond the "deja vu". We see right before Al supposedly shoots the other dude, Earn sees something and says "Wait" and the camera pans to the dog as lights pass by.

Earn took the gun from the glove compartment and shot the guy.

I have a friend that is from Atlanta. Can rap every verse to every three 6 mafia song. Whitest guy I know and is an amazing UI designer. He loves Atlanta and talks about growing up there. I randomly text him "I got hooked up with that Lemon Pepper Wet" and he responded "where you did get it? Tell me where?" hahaha.

Dereck

I have a friend that is from Atlanta. Can rap every verse to every three 6 mafia song. Whitest guy I know and is an amazing UI designer. He loves Atlanta and talks about growing up there. I randomly text him "I got hooked up with that Lemon Pepper Wet" and he responded "where you did get it? Tell me where?" hahaha.
lmao

Geist-

Haha, amazing.

vypek

Earn took the gun from the glove compartment and shot the guy.

Thats what I suggested but someone else said you can clearly see Al shoot the guy.
The light displayed from the gun fire definitely looks like Al shot it to me. I can't remember if Earn was even holding his gun up when the shot is fired. Will watch it a few times later but it really does look like Al shot to me

Alpende

I watched the second episode yesterday and all the stuff in the police station had me dying. Paper Boi's face when the cop took the picture, the whole interaction with the guy and the tranny girlfriend and all the other guys commentating on it. So good. The scene with the mentally ill guy hit hard though, that was well done.

LionPride

Banned
I watched the second episode yesterday and all the stuff in the police station had me dying. Paper Boi's face when the cop took the picture, the whole interaction with the guy and the tranny girlfriend and all the other guys commentating on it. So good. The scene with the mentally ill guy hit hard though, that was well done.
Words you shouldn't say anymore for $1000

I get the "Twin peaks with rappers" description now.
ujwusnO.jpg

X6kS31Q.jpg

Not that it doesn't stand on its own, but I love the surreal elements.

Can someone tell me what "Lemon Pepper Wet" is? I've been thinking about it since I saw it...

Have you ever had lemon pepper wings? Most of the time, they're dry rub lemon pepper wings. It's basically what the name implies. "Wet" lemon pepper wings but with that extra sauce.

big ander

Enjoyed this a ton and while I'm not 100% sold yet—need to see where it's going plot-wise and want to see the surreal elements incorporated a lot better (nutella guy was awful)—I'm in for at least the season. and down to watch the ramblings of Darius forever. "can I measure your tree?" Hope he gets some side adventures

Is the first episode censored?

I was watching it again on YouTube and when the guy at the beginning tells him to fuck off, it jumps forward like a second instead of him saying anything

Im not from ATL, but I could understand just about every accent in the show because I came of age to ATL rap niggas. Shit is weird.
Anyway, this show is the Boondocks but in real life. And Paperboi looks like a spitting image of that nigga Taxstone.

Not

Banned
Holy CRAP this show is good

Never would've expected it from ol' Donglover. Guess screenwriting is his strength

Im not from ATL, but I could understand just about every accent in the show because I came of age to ATL rap niggas. Shit is weird.
Anyway, this show is the Boondocks but in real life. And Paperboi looks like a spitting image of that nigga Taxstone.

Didn't even notice that accents. I've been here too long...

Ivan 3414

I've noticed people who saw the transgender scene saw it as just another funny moment, but if you watch closely, there was a significant point about sexuality made

Actually the commentary was pretty salient and it shouldn't have been to hard to miss

Your description makes it seem like Dave was using the n-word maliciously. It's more that Dave knows he shouldn't say it to the wrong black dude. He and Earn apparently have prior history and he likely thinks Earn is one of the "cool" ones.

Edit: it was explained a lot better above
He was. That "I'm gonna sneak a 'nigga' in on this dude" Is always malicious.

DominoKid

there's accents? /southerner

tmdorsey

Watched my recordings last night. Loving this so far. I think it's a good balance of humor and seriousness, like real life.

Darius is the MVP for me right now. Damn near every line out his mouth had me laughing. Now I'm just anticipating what he's gonna say next.

T-Matt

Show hooked me and the wife instantly. So far seems balanced with comedy and drama. Looking forward to where it goes in the season.

Top Bottom