• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

mdubs

Banned
Don't want to bring this up in the anime thread, but realistically, how far is the anime going in 12 episodes?

They'll get to the Reiner and Bertholdt reveal, and the fight after, and then...that's it?

Also I don't remember shit about dinosaurs in the manga, that part of the OP was so weird.

Probably the part where Eren uses the coordinate for the first time I think? That seems like logical ending to me

What is even going on anymore. It's a completely different manga at this point.

Which is awesome.

In fact it has been changing from the start.

-At the beginning, the horror aspect was stronger, but it diminished to action once Eren transformed.
-Later the part of mystery and thriller increased as it had more focus on the mysteries behind the main plot, with new secrets teased along the way.
-Even later, the series stopped being focused on Armi/Eren/Mikasa and now it feels as it's telling a grander story about the conflict itself, with many other characters like Levi, Historia, Ymir, Reiner, Erwin, Zeke, Hange, etc had more presence, in some chapters the original main characters haven't even appeared.
-There has been also good tragic moments with the origin flashback part.
-And now it surprise us with more military action, an even bigger international conflict where the original character are only a small piece of the puzzle.

And all these changes are not done at random, the main story still feels unified and singular, cohesive. It's just that because he is only following that story, the comic HAS to change as it follows through. If one point in the story needed a civil war to defeat the monarchy and more focus on internal politics, the series stopped being about giant zombies for that arc, because the story said so.

Menthuss

I remember an interview with Isayama where he mentioned wanting to have the manga wrapped up around volume 20. With the recent reveals I feel like it could go on for at least another 10 or 20 volumes.

IKizzLE

What is even going on anymore. It's a completely different manga at this point.

-The Marley are fighting another nation called the Middle East Union.
-On the frontlines are the Elodians, the second class citizens who can turn into titans. They are also using the armored titan, mule titan who has mounted guns and the jaw? titan to fight.
-And since this is a 4 year timeskip, Reiner has 4 more years of his 13 year lifespan, thats why you keep hearing the kids saying they hope their next to inherit the power.
-But since the middle east union did significant damage to the titan shifters because of advanced technology, the Marley are starting to see that just having titan shifters doesn't make you a military superpower anymore.
-Now the Marley want to get the coordinate back to bolster their power, so next up, is to attack the island that Eren and co live on.

That sums up the last couple of chapters.

That chapter was dope.

Assuming this war is real recent compared to the main story. Which is neat, but it's going to be insane if Zeke and co bust out that technology against the weak technology of the people inside the walls. That titan bombing was ridiculous in a good way.

By comparison, the anime is moving so goddamn slow. I wonder if they end the season with Eren getting captured.

IKizzLE

That chapter was dope.

Assuming this war is real recent compared to the main story. Which is neat, but it's going to be insane if Zeke and co bust out that technology against the weak technology of the people inside the walls. That titan bombing was ridiculous in a good way.

By comparison, the anime is moving so goddamn slow. I wonder if they end the season with Eren getting captured.
This war is taking place 4 years after armin became the colossal titan.

Wait...after!? Whoa, not sure how I missed that. I thought it was just continuing the flashback.

It was always a flash forward, not a flashback. I would advise reading the words on the panel, and not only looking at the drawings :p

First, they repeat 3 times the war has been raging for four years in the first pages.

Second, they say
GOTXyxQ.png

AaeXp0P.png

So the war started when the lost two titans, including the colossal one. That happened three chapters ago.

So there has been a jump of four years forward.

Third, Reiner looks much older.

It was always a flash forward, not a flashback. I would advise reading the words on the panel, and only only looking at the drawings :p

First, they repeat 3 times the war has been raging for four years in the first pages.

Second, they say

So the war started when the lost two titans, including the colossal one. That happened three chapters ago.

So there has been a jump of four years forward.

Third, Reiner looks much older.

Yeah, I noticed the 4 years thing, but I just assumed it was four years after the last flashback. That's on me though, lol. The other stuff I guess I just tuned out (like Reiner looking older, thought it was another guy for some reason)

turmoil

Banned
Help refresh my memory please, at this point in the anime the spectator knows that Bertold and Reiner are the titans or it's not revealed yet?

Damn, I didn't know the manga foreshadowed the Beast Titan's ability so early with Connie's village. Completely abandoned but no dead bodies.

Can anybody clarify how it was that Marley began harvesting the titan power in the first place?
What do you mean by harvesting exactly?

They captured 7 of the 9 shifters, and shifter power is passed down only when a normal Titan eats a shifter Titan.

So by constantly performing this ritual, they've kept the shifter Titans in their possession.

What do you mean by harvesting exactly?

They captured 7 of the 9 shifters, and shifter power is passed down only when a normal Titan eats a shifter Titan.

So by constantly performing this ritual, they've kept the shifter Titans in their possession.

I was referring to the serum specifically but you've answered that too as I guess we're to assume they experimented on the Titans they took possession of, which resulted in creating the serum...?

Zoe

wait

how has Eren's half-brother kept his special Titan power for so long

wasn't there a time limit to those powers

Fixed

He's probably on the end of his lifespan now. Probably became one around the same time as Bert and Ernie.

Josue

Its been a while so I'm confused. How did they get the Warriors like RBA onto Paradise without everyone knowing they came from outside?

Zoe

Its been a while so I'm confused. How did they get the Warriors like RBA onto Paradise without everyone knowing they came from outside?

They all claimed to be from the same village on the outskirts, IIRC. It's how Armin figured out the connection.

One more: the king says he has millions of titans in the walls. Even if that's hyperbole there still has to be hundreds of thousands in there if we use Bertold as basis for their size. So why did the king retreat and conceal his remaining people behind the walls?
Surely he could have won the/any war with 500,000 Collosal Titan's at his side and retook his lost territories...?

One more: the king says he has millions of titans in the walls. Even if that's hyperbole there still has to be hundreds of thousands in there if we use Bertold as basis for their size. So why did the king retreat and conceal his remaining people behind the walls?
Surely he could have won the/any war with 500,000 Collosal Titan's at his side and retook his lost territories...?

He didn't want war. The suspicion is that he actually was a good guy and wanted to break the cycle of vengeance and violence between the two nations, though the way he used was flawed.

Erigu

The war didn't start until Grisha brought the Titan Formula through the door.
?
No, there were internal conflicts between the eight families who had inherited the non-progenitor titans for a long time, and they devolved into an actual "titan war" roughly 100 years ago, when the 145th king decided to just up and leave for that island.

kirblar

?
No, there were internal conflicts between the eight families who had inherited the non-progenitor titans for a long time, and they devolved into an actual "titan war" roughly 100 years ago, when the 145th king decided to just up and leave for that island.
Yes, but they didn't assault it until they went to retrieve the powers Grisha stole. Up until that point they weren't bothering w/ trying to get inside the walls, instead just pumping the exterior full of titans.

?

I think the titan war started hundreds of years ago, and only finished 100 years ago.

Erigu

Yes, but they didn't assault it until they went to retrieve the powers Grisha stole. Up until that point they weren't bothering w/ trying to get inside the walls, instead just pumping the exterior full of titans.
They're actually after the progenitor titan, and they already were before Grisha got any kind of titan power. That's why they recruited his son, remember.
Also, the power Grisha later got from Kruger apparently was the other titan Marley had never managed to acquire (they only had 7 titans out of 9). He didn't steal it (although he did steal the progenitor titan from Historia's half-sister years later, sure).

... But with all that being said, I don't think that's the point? Or we're talking about very different things...

Jo Shishido's Cheeks was asking why the 145th king didn't use his power to win the war (that would be the titan war from 100 years ago), as he should have been able to easily prevail, since he could apparently manipulate millions of Bertolt-sized titans.
But as Turin Turambar pointed out, the king left for Paradis precisely because he wanted nothing to do with all that. He's actually made it so his power can no longer be used for war (although it looks like Eren accidentally found a loophole when he punched the Dina titan).

Do we know that they know that Grisha took the titan into the wall?
I don't think we've been told anything about that, no. Although I guess they might have eventually deduced that's how he survived and reached the wall?

I think the titan war started hundreds of years ago, and only finished 100 years ago.
They say that war began when the 145th king inherited the progenitor titan, actually.

Zoe

I don't think we've been told anything about that, no. Although I guess they might have eventually deduced that's how he survived and reached the wall?
Yeah, I don't think they would have known until Bert and Ernie escaped.

He didn't want war. The suspicion is that he actually was a good guy and wanted to break the cycle of vengeance and violence between the two nations, though the way he used was flawed.

Jo Shishido's Cheeks was asking why the 145th king didn't use his power to win the war (that would be the titan war from 100 years ago), as he should have been able to easily prevail, since he could apparently manipulate millions of Bertolt-sized titans.
But as Turin Turambar pointed out, the king left for Paradis precisely because he wanted nothing to do with all that. He's actually made it so his power can no longer be used for war (although it looks like Eren accidentally found a loophole when he punched the Dina titan).

Interesting... hopefully we get to find out more about him.
Thanks a lot for the answers guys :)

Erigu

... Continued from over there.

Current manga spoilers:
I was answering the question literally. We don't see the origins of that specific titan.
But we do? He's right there in the episode I mentioned, transformed by the Marley alongside Ymir.
Not sure if he's supposed to be the priest who took her in or one of her followers (the former seems more important, but considering how the titan talks and his appearance, I'm leaning toward the latter), but we do know why he later behaved like that when he encountered somebody who looked a bit like her.

Zoe

But we do? He's right there in the episode I mentioned, transformed by the Marley alongside Ymir.
Not sure if he's supposed to be the priest who took her in or one of her followers (the former seems more important, but considering how the titan talks and his appearance, I'm leaning toward the latter), but we do know why he later behaved like that when he encountered somebody who looked a bit like her.

Huh, I didn't even notice that--looked too generic. He looks like one of the followers in a previous panel. The priest has his hair combed over.

Erigu

He looks like one of the followers in a previous panel. The priest has his hair combed over.
Although I'm not sure the hair would stay that way after 60 years as a titan, I agree that he's probably one of those followers, yes. A couple of them look really similar.

One thing that's very different about watching this arc now- knowing that the very small titans are kids.

Oh, I forgot about that. When it was revealed'

The last episode had me in stitches with the Reiner warrior/soldier dynamics. I wonder if his soldier persona couldn't read the herring can but his warrior persona could.

Top Bottom