• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August most violent month in Chicago in nearly 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy shit, they playing war down there or something? Chicago gaf?

In the weeks since he was shot in the back, 10-year-old Tavon Tanner has undergone several operations to repair the damage from the bullet that tore through his small body and remains lodged between his shoulder and his chest.

The fifth-grader is still in the hospital and still in pain, according to his mother Mellanie Washington. He doesn't talk as much and cries more often. Sometimes he'll ask if police have arrested the person who shot him.

"I tell him they will soon," Washington said. "They will." No one was in custody as of Monday.

Tavon was among more than 400 people shot in Chicago this month. There have been at least 78 homicides, marking August as the most violent month in the city in almost 20 years, according to data provided by the Chicago Police Department. And there are two more days to go.

The city hasn't seen a deadlier month since October of 1997, when there were 79 homicides. For the whole year, the count was 761, according to department numbers.

Chicago has recorded 487 homicides and more than 2,800 people shot so far this year, compared to 491 homicides and 2,988 people shot all of last year, according to Tribune data.

Chicago has a lower homicide rate than many other U.S. cities that are smaller in population. But this year, the city has recorded more homicides and shooting victims than New York City and Los Angeles combined, even though the two cities are larger than Chicago's population of roughly 2.6 million.

New York, with more than three times the population of Chicago, has recorded 760 shooting victims and logged 222 homicides, according to NYPD crime statistics through Aug. 21. In Los Angeles, a city of about 4 million, 176 people have been slain and 729 people shot, according to LAPD crime data through Aug. 20.

The gun violence in Chicago has been concentrated on the South and West sides that have lost population over the years as other areas have grown.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...violent-shootings-chicago-20160829-story.html

more in the link

Segregation, poverty, neglect, corruption, years of the aforementioned. It's a many faceted problem, and there isn't an easy fix.

Also, it's easy as shit to buy guns all over the rest of Illinois and Indiana. So let's get that out of the way before someone points out Chicago's strict gun laws.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Four or five kids younger than the 10 year old in the story were shot in the month of July as well. I feel awful for anyone who has to raise a family in these parts of Chicago.

Chicago police officials have cited the constant flow of illegal firearms through dangerous neighborhoods and an intractable gang problem – with some disputes beginning on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter – as strong contributors to the city's violence.
This is nuts.

Where does this anger come from? How do you hate someone so much that you decide to kill them without thinking of the consequences? Taking away guns will help, but the anger will still be there.

Sai-kun

Banned
Yep. And it's spread out a bit from the usual neighborhoods you find it in.

Never know what to say in topics like this except it's sad as shit, and I hope that some kind of solution is found in my lifetime. There are so many different angles to view the issue from though, I don't even know where to start.

Segregation, poverty, neglect, corruption, years of the aforementioned. It's a many faceted problem, and there isn't an easy fix.

Also, it's easy as shit to buy guns all over the rest of Illinois and Indiana. So let's get that out of the way before someone points out Chicago's strict gun laws.

You don't mean forced segregation right?

Never know what to say in topics like this except it's sad as shit, and I hope that some kind of solution is found in my lifetime. There are so many different angles to view the issue from though, I don't even know where to start.

When Emperor Trump is elected, it will be fixed in a week. As a resident of Chicago, that might be less than your lifetime though.

Daingurse

Shit just keeps escalating. I feel very concerned for my family still living on the southside. My little cousin has been robbed at gunpoint fucking twice.

They better calm their shit down before Ras Al Ghul comes for them

Seriously, though, this is depressing. I'm glad my brother moved out of Chicago a few years ago.

Skilletor

You don't mean forced segregation right?

Surely you don't think that the issues that come with years and years of forced segregation and the systemic issues that go along with thinking black people should be separated from white went away when integration was made law.

Surely.

glow

Banned
Time to get national guard in there. The city has failed to protect its people.

No, no way. Our city has discussed this before. It will only make things worse.

It is a complicated issue. Everyone saying "drugs, guns and gangs" doesn't know the half of it. This isn't just about war over turf or killing rival gang members.

I wonder if the warm winter had any impact on crime levels across the country this year. I know crime usually spikes in the summer, with all sorts of speculation as to why that's the case (for example, people not hiding indoors because it's cold as fuck.)

Though that wouldn't be a factor in August.

Surely you don't think that the issues that come with years and years of forced segregation and the systemic issues that go along with thinking black people should be separated from white went away when integration was made law.

Surely.

The effects of redlining are probably the most impactful on modern neighborhoods.

There are much poorer people and communities all around the world than Chicago but they are not nearly as violent. It's the gang stuff that needs to be eradicated. Unfortunately the gangs have so much power already and their members are devoutly loyal to it and willing to die. Another thing is recruitment, you have to stop the recruitment of new gang members. People join gangs because they are scared, not because they are poor. You have to give children security from gangs to stop them from being recruited.

ajfoucault

Also, the fact that there's no accountability with the police enforcement officials.

Africanus

A bit of relief that I left Chicago for 6 years in D.C. this month.
Tragic occurence for my home. Everyday the news is filled with those stories.

Keri

Does Chicago have a higher population of gangs than, say, Los Angeles? Is it more gangs or more gang members? It's strange because there are other cities in the U.S. that have reputations of housing gangs, but which have much lower homicide rates and which remain generally pretty safe. Also, it tears at my heart to hear about young children being shot.

platocplx

Summer time + lack of oppertunites and activities to occupy kids time = this.

The biggest gaps in education not shockingly is base on how kids spend their summers, they dont get to travel, go to camps all that stuff so idle minds get into crazy stupid trouble.

attacking how kids and teens spend their summers would probably benefit them a lot, but again no one wants to put budget forth that could say every child in chicago has hours in the day where they are occupied in doing something other than being home.

Does Chicago have a higher population of gangs than, say, Los Angeles? Is it more gangs or more gang members? It's strange because there are other cities in the U.S. that have reputations of housing gangs, but which have much lower homicide rates and which remain generally pretty safe. Also, it tears at my heart to hear about young children being shot.
Chicago has 150k gang members as of 2014, LA has 45k
http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-shocking/the-most-gang-infested-cities-in-america/

Kill3r7

There are much poorer people and communities all around the world than Chicago but they are not nearly as violent. It's the gang stuff that needs to be eradicated. Unfortunately the gangs have so much power already and their members are devoutly loyal to it and willing to die. Another thing is recruitment, you have to stop the recruitment of new gang members. People join gangs because they are scared, not because they are poor. You have to give children security from gangs to stop them from being recruited.

Ultimately what this comes down to is that all the violence is taking place only in certain neighborhoods long forgotten by anyone that matters. Let's just say, if people were getting gunned down in the North Side or Lincoln Park you better believe they would have found a solution to the problem by now.

Ultimately what this comes down to is that all the violence is taking place only in certain neighborhoods long forgotten by anyone that matters. Let's just say, if people were getting gunned down in the North Side or Lincoln Park you better believe they would have found a solution to the problem by now.

That's what's truly maddening. We had a string of holdups a few weeks ago in Lakeview, and now cops are all over the place, despite being the safest neighborhood in the damn city. But you won't see that amount of attention or care in the south or west sides.

78 Homicides is insane for one month and the kids who get caught in the crossfire is just terrible.

Time to get national guard in there. The city has failed to protect its people.

I'm not sure if it would change much really, I currently work in my City's poorest neighborhoods and they'll be homicides not even a block away from the police station. Usually when a gang wants someone killed off they'll kill them regardless of whose in their way. Illegal Drugs are big money unfortunately, which makes the gang violence even worse.

glow

Banned
There is a someone on GAF that lives in K-town, don't remember his username, but it would be interesting to hear his take on violence since he actually lives somewhere that shit goes down.

HawkeyeIC

That's what's truly maddening. We had a string of holdups a few weeks ago in Lakeview, and now cops are all over the place, despite being the safest neighborhood in the damn city. But you won't see that amount of attention or care in the south or west sides.

Police everywhere won't help.

Blader

This is nuts.

Where does this anger come from? How do you hate someone so much that you decide to kill them without thinking of the consequences? Taking away guns will help, but the anger will still be there.

Kids have relatively poor empathy faculties, so it's "easier" to kill someone without thinking it through because that moral/emotional component isn't fully developed yet.

Well not only that, but the gangs are not together as one. You can have a gang somewhere in Chicago, but each block is a different faction with infighting going on.

Kill3r7

Police everywhere won't help.

I think you missed his point. Police still do actual police work if crime occurs in wealthy areas. They have basically given up on bad neighborhoods. Police work in those areas amounts to knocking heads, conducting street sweeps and arresting a few people on the corner. All for show, no actual substance.

HawkeyeIC

I think you missed his point. Police still do actual police work if crime occurs in wealthy areas. They have basically given up on bad neighborhoods. Police work in those areas amounts to knocking heads, conducting street sweeps and arresting a few people on the corner. All for show, no actual substance.

The exact phrase he used was that 'police are everywhere', which indicates a general deterrence. That works in Lakeview, it doesn't work in some of these other areas.

Even though statistically I would probably never be affected by it, it was one of the reasons I picked another country to move to. The whole US on average (let alone the big cities I would need to move to) has a 14 times higher murder rate than my current city (5mio). Just the feeling that pretty much nothing can happen to you at any time is just bliss (other stuff like rape rate is 10 times higher in the US, 28 times more burglaries, 54 more assaults, 7 times more robberies etc.).

Gutek

Think about that: Chicago alone has more homicides in a year than the avg European COUNTRY.

It's on the rise, sure.

But DC had 119 homicides last year.. Chicago had about 80 this month.

I don't think you understand how rates work. Chicago and DC are neck and neck.

Cocaloch

I think it's funny that Chicago gets this terrible rap without being in the top 30 US cities for murder per capita, and isn't in the top 20 for even violent crime per capita. Bad things happen here, but if Chicago is a failed city there are many other cities in the US that are failed as well.

Relative to the area I live in in Chicago, the place I'm living in in DC is safer.

I thought you lived in Hyde Park?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Think about that: Chicago alone has more homicides in a year than the avg European COUNTRY.

I don't think you understand how rates work. Chicago and DC are neck and neck.
There is no way you can say anywhere in DC is worse than some of these neighborhoods in Chicago.

I understand the population of Chicago is more than D.C. but we're talking specifically about the neighborhoods where these murders are happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom