• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August most violent month in Chicago in nearly 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what my uncle tell me (from the plush side of the city) he said that I lot of the violence has to do with the housing towers being knocked down, and now there's a lot of "displaced" gangs in the city.

Kill3r7

I think it's funny that Chicago gets this terrible rap without being in the top 30 US cities for murder per capita, and isn't in the top 20 for even violent crime per capita. Bad things happen here, but if Chicago is a failed city there are many other cities in the US that are failed as well.

Well when you are comparing Chicago to Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, Washington DC (murder rate jumped by 50% last year), Camden, Newark etc yes you have failed. Considering that Chicago is the third largest city in the US, your violent crime and murder rate is frighteningly high when compared to NY or LA (see https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/crime-2015-final-analysis).

Fuchsdh

This is nuts.

Where does this anger come from? How do you hate someone so much that you decide to kill them without thinking of the consequences? Taking away guns will help, but the anger will still be there.

When you've got nothing, you'll fight about anything.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I think it's funny that Chicago gets this terrible rap without being in the top 30 US cities for murder per capita, and isn't in the top 20 for even violent crime per capita. Bad things happen here, but if Chicago is a failed city there are many other cities in the US that are failed as well.
Well, there are a lot of people living in Chicago and most places are relatively safe

Then you have pockets where the homicide rate skyrockets.

2013_Chicago_Homicide_Map.png

Abounder

Banned
And this is the city that Obama and Co. wanted the Olympics at, what a disgrace indeed. I know the violence is more or less segregated but goddamn at those optics, makes you think what kind of NYC-inspired secret police work would go down.

Anyway there's basically zero hope for stopping the vicious cycle of revenge killing. Especially since all businesses are going to be scared away and just can't compete with thug life's money - kids make more money one week in the streets than a year working for the man.

Real-life Gotham City ya'll, and there's no Batman

Cocaloch

Well when you are comparing Chicago to Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, Washington DC (murder rate jumped by 50% last year), Camden, Newark etc yes you have failed. Considering that Chicago is the third largest city in the US, your violent crime and murder rate is frighteningly high when compared to NY or LA (see https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/crime-2015-final-analysis).

Fair enough, but the focus always seems to be on Chicago, which is odd since it's not even close to the worst. Especially when it comes to murder rate instead of violent crime.

Well, there are a lot of people living in Chicago and most places are relatively safe

Then you have pockets where the homicide rate skyrockets.

I know; I lived in one of the Red areas on that map.

Police everywhere won't help.

It's a bigger deterrence than them not being there. And I'm not implying it's a cure-all, either. What I am saying is that it speaks to a larger problem - police in Chicago are all too willing to sit in safe areas over smaller shit than protecting citizens in down-trotted places. It's politics and all that.

The exact phrase he used was that 'police are everywhere', which indicates a general deterrence. That works in Lakeview, it doesn't work in some of these other areas.

Actually, the exact phrasing I used was "police are all over the place". Sure, a few police officers in Lakeview helps, but you'd be wrong in thinking that we need seven of them almost every other block and not using them in areas with higher crime.

Again, this isn't speaking of the myriad of problems Chicago faces, including police corruption, but it would help more than not having any cops.

norm9

Thought this article on The Undefeated about the death of baseball in the black community is pretty interesting. Many things have contributed to the situation in Chicago; I never would have thought AAU basketball and the aura Michael Jordan could be contributing factors.

http://theundefeated.com/features/death-of-baseball-hurts-heart-soul-of-black-community/

It was where mentoring black men could mold a battalion of young black boys toward adulthood, teaching respect for your teammates, for your elders, to respect women, to respect your peers and respect for the game itself.

Where else can you put 18 to 30 guys together and teach them such nuances as the batting order, leadoff man, cleanup hitter, hitting the cutoff man, the sacrifice bunt, the sacrifice fly, fielder’s choice, rotating the outfielders and the infielders … ?

It was about practice, commitment, teamwork, and it was good, clean fun.

It didn’t matter who your father was or who your mamma was.

Teammates was teammates. It was as simple as that.

And then … It all fell apart, and none of us saw it coming.

What if we partner with and fund programs at black churches and urban black elementary schools – which attract weekly and daily gatherings of black youths and often already have playing fields or the land to build a Field of Dreams!

It’s time to bring baseball – unity, teamwork, commitment to each other – back home.

Kill3r7

Fair enough, but the focus always seems to be on Chicago, which is odd since it's not even close to the worst. Especially when it comes to murder rate instead of violent crime.

Agreed but keep in mind that Chicago has more money to budget for policing then most cities. Chicago had more homicides than any other city in 2015. The fact that the murder rate has gone up each of the last 3 years is also a bit of a problem.

jstripes

Banned
Thought this article on The Undefeated about the death of baseball in the black community is pretty interesting. Many things have contributed to the situation in Chicago; I never would have thought AAU basketball and the aura Michael Jordan could be contributing factors.

http://theundefeated.com/features/death-of-baseball-hurts-heart-soul-of-black-community/
But baseball is boring because you don't get non-stop action and 100 point games. /s

That aside, baseball doesn't work in a dense, urban environment. With basketball, you just need a small low-maintenance paved lot with two hoops, and all the equipment you need is one ball.

It would be nice if they could set up baseball diamonds, but you have to attract the youth to it somehow.

I expect an influx in violent crimes as global temperatures rise.
We had an extremely mild winter in Toronto this summer, and much more violence than usual. When it's cold outside, no one wants to go out and mess with each other.

My husband was taking our daughter to a doctor's appointment in the west side, and he said that in the middle of the day he felt scared. He's not a small guy either. Plus, we both went to school in Newark, and he never felt threatened in Newark. I think we need to find a different pediatrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom