• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aunt loses lawsuit against 8-year-old nephew who jumped into her arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone in the other thread made the observation that she may have been going after some of the inheritance money; the boy's mother had recently died. Then she filed suit for something that happened 4 years prior.

Wow. Hope she eventually finds a path that isn't being a total bitch.

e: still, she needs to not be a total beeyatch.

Someone in the other thread made the observation that she may have been going after some of the inheritance money; the boy's mother had recently died. Then she filed suit for something that happened 4 years prior.

That's what it sounds like. She sued her 12 year old nephew to get a piece of her dead sister's money (at least sister-in law). I would love to hear the conversation his father had with her. Never speaking to her again would be the nicest thing they can do.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Utter utter cunt. Glad she got fuck all squared.

Jeremy

Auntie Jen, you just officially ruined your own life by alienating your friends, family and anyone who recognizes your name from here on out. What's next?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Okay, this is utterly false.

Time-line of events:
1. Accident (March 18, 2011)
2. Lawsuit Filed (March 19, 2011 - March 18, 2013)
3. Mother dies (2014)

Oh nice, now she gets to spend the rest of her life in solitude because her family disowned her for being a heartless cunt. Good for you Auntie Jen!

majik13

wasnt it also pointed out that there is some 2 year period, where you cant sue for something more than 2 years ago. So she probably sued before his mom died, and the case just took time to go to trial. But I doubt this info will stop this rumor/speculation from spreading.

mre

Was the mom her sister?
It doesn't matter. The lawsuit was filed before the mother died. This isn't about the boy's legendary inheritance.

This thread is going to turn into the same circle-jerk as the other one, with people not paying attention to any of the actual facts.

And, for the record, while I think the lawsuit was fine, I probably would have sided with the jury and held that a reasonable 8 year old would not have been aware that he could hurt his aunt with an overly boisterous hug.

flkraven

Okay, this is utterly false.

Time-line of events:
1. Accident (March 18, 2011)
2. Lawsuit Filed (March 19, 2011 - March 18, 2013)
3. Mother dies (2014)

Depending on how the mother died, they could have easily known she was going to die in 2013 or 2012

onken

It doesn't matter. The lawsuit was filed before the mother died. This isn't about the boy's legendary inheritance.

This thread is going to turn into the same circle-jerk as the other one, with people not paying attention to any of the actual facts.

And, for the record, while I think the lawsuit was fine, I probably would have sidied with the jury and held that a reasonable 8 year old would not have been aware that he could hurt his aunt with an overly boisterous hug.

What kind of broken brain person do you have to be to think suing ANYONE over this is an acceptable course of action, least of all your own family? Shit happens. Yes, it's unfortunate, no you do not deserve money. Get the fuck over it.

Radec

And, for the record, while I think the lawsuit was fine, I probably would have sided with the jury and held that a reasonable 8 year old would not have been aware that he could hurt his aunt with an overly boisterous hug.

How is the lawsuit "fine"?

Holy shit.

mre

What kind of broken brain person do you have to be to think suing ANYONE over this is an acceptable course of action, least of all your own family? Shit happens. Yes, it's unfortunate, no you do not deserve money. Get the fuck over it.
How is the lawsuit "fine"?

Holy shit.
Blame our insurance system. See posts like this in other threads, discussing situations where people have had to to sue their own family for accidents that occurred on their family member's property in order to get their medical expenses covered by the home owner's insurance. You're suing your family member on paper, but in reality, you're suing their insurance company to pay on the policy.

So, to the extent that she had actual injuries that required medical treatment, the lawsuit to recoup those costs was fine. Asking for money to compensate her because she can no longer hold an hors d'oeuvres plate was just ridiculous.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member

Poor kid. Hopefully he has loving and caring family members with him. Losing a mother and then this. Damn.

An umbrella policy is an excess policy that kicks in when your underlying policy has exhausted the limits.

In the scenario it would have been a general liability policy that would have covered the accident

Astral Dog

so she lost her lawsuit against her 8 year old nephew? what a surprise.
who knows if i knew i could win i would had sued against my brother that broked my arm intentionally. :p

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Blame our insurance system. See posts like this in other threads, discussing situations where people have had to to sue their own family for accidents that occurred on their family member's property in order to get their medical expenses covered by the home owner's insurance. You're suing your family member on paper, but in reality, you're suing their insurance company to pay on the policy.

So, to the extent that she had actual injuries that required medical treatment, the lawsuit to recoup those costs was fine. Asking for money to compensate her because she can no longer hold an hors d'oeuvres plate was just ridiculous.

God damn 'Murica, you fucked.

She filed the suit in 2012 before his mother died.

Ganhyun

She filed the suit in 2012 before his mother died.

Don't expect people to know the facts man. Or to even bother reading through and seeing the facts posted.

The fact that its a mod you quoted doing it is worrisome, but, Ghaleon likely came in to give a fact he thought was relevant, unaware it wasn't applicable here.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
And now her entire family hates her.

Things are a real mess if you have to sue family to get your medical costs covered by the insurance. What a situation to be in, damn.

TheMan

playing devil's advocate, it could be that the aunt had no way to afford medical costs. Went to the kids parents, they refused to pay. Aunt's lawyer thinks there's no way to prove that parents were negligent, but by suing the kid they'd have the best chance of getting bills covered because the parents would have to pay anyway if the kid lost. I mean, it's still fucked up that she had to sue, but perhaps she felt she had no other choice because more reasonable alternatives were already exhausted.

or maybe she's a cunt, i dunno.

zeemumu

I'm fairly sure that she was going after the homeowners insurance policy.

She sues her nephew, nephew can't pay, homeowners insurance kicks in to cover her medical bills.

Thought it was gonna be something about inheritance received from his mom who passed away about a year prior to this.

My roommate fucked up my knee at a party on accident, and I never once thought I should sue him. I would never sue a niece or nephew.

Raiden

Banned
I read all these silly things and find them hard to believe all the time. Like i my mind cant comprehend people like this exist outside of fictional tellings. But they do and i would love to actually see these people do the things they do.

FreezeSSC

Wouldn't they have opened a claim with the insurance company, and if they denied then sue the insurance company? Why would the father lawyer up if they wanted to lose?

Sucks that she had gotten injured from an overzealous hug.... and sucks that she has to wear medical bills......................

But taking it out on the nephew to pay for it is.... very terrible way of dealing with it.

Wouldn't they have opened a claim with the insurance company, and if they denied then sue the insurance company? Why would the father lawyer up if they wanted to lose?

I think if the father loses and can't pay then the insurance company has to pay and the aunt's medical costs are covered. I'm not American but that's what i understand, if that is the case here anyway.

diaspora

playing devil's advocate, it could be that the aunt had no way to afford medical costs. Went to the kids parents, they refused to pay. Aunt's lawyer thinks there's no way to prove that parents were negligent, but by suing the kid they'd have the best chance of getting bills covered because the parents would have to pay anyway if the kid lost. I mean, it's still fucked up that she had to sue, but perhaps she felt she had no other choice because more reasonable alternatives were already exhausted.

or maybe she's a cunt, i dunno.

“I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate,” she told jurors.

Probably the latter yo

mre

I'm sure a claim was made on the insurance company, which was denied. However, even if the insurance company denied her claim, the aunt has no standing to sue the insurance company, which essentially means the insurance company has no obligations towards her; their obligations are only towards their insured, the nephew (and his family). Because she has no standing to sue the insurance company, she has to sue a covered person, the nephew, and said lawsuit triggers the insurance company's responsibility to (1) defend the insured and, if they lose the lawsuit, to (2) indemnify the insured up to the policy limits.

Once sued, the father notified the insurance company of the lawsuit, and the insurance company paid the boy's attorney(s).
I think if the father loses and can't pay then the insurance company has to pay and the aunt's medical costs are covered. I'm not American but that's what i understand, if that is the case here anyway.
Had the aunt prevailed, then the insurance company would have paid up to the policy limits, regardless of the family's - well, really the son's - ability to pay.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Good luck repairing relations with that part of the family

lednerg

Holy shit. Kid's mom dies, then his aunt pulls this shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom