• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

You would think so. Palmer wants his amendments in there. I just wonder if Abbott will actually be able to negotiate, so far he has been incapable of doing that.

He will, on this one at least. He cares about this one too much to be "oh well, we tried, blame the other guys".

Fredescu

True, but I think he actually wants it too, and it sounds like a minor disagreement.

edit:

BsJr8BKCUAELxuQ.jpg

Shandy

Why is the Senate failing to represent the people and completely disrespecting the LNP's mandate?

Tony Abbott’s government appears to have lost control of Senate

What a tragedy. It's almost as if the Senate doesn't exist solely to shuttle through whatever legislation the ruling party of the lower house desires. As if not having an absolute majority means that you never had control in the first place...

Yrael

Yeah, it's quite odd that Clive Palmer of all people suddenly feels like our only hope. I still mostly know him for his fixation on building Titanic replicas and dinosaur parks.

Shaneus

So is Clive Palmer the opposition leader now? That's how this works right?
Either him or Penny Wong. Would be a better alternative than their current leader.

Yep!

http://www.spectator.co.uk/australia/australia-leading-article/9260971/hip-hip-hooray-2/

"Barring any more sudden Ricky Muir-like surprises, it looks as if the Senate will repeal the carbon tax; so allow us a little gloating."
Wow at the date. Holy shit! Saving offline copy now.

senahorse

Clive Palmer is a real oddity. You never assume you can believe what he says until he does it. I still have nfi what his agenda is.

I think Clive lives by two agendas and two agendas only. 1.) Political Clive does what is good for Personal Clive 2.) Look at me Look at me Look at me.

hidys

DEEP discussion

Also Palmer says that his senators won't be passing the repeal bill today because their amendment didn't get in. This senate is so much fun.

Will be interesting to see what happens when people discover that the savings from the repeal will be minimal at best.

hidys

"Where's my $550 Abbott?!"

*clive palmer laughing in the background*

Maybe that is the ransom that Palmer expects. Every company affected MUST give their customers $550.

Also it is still totally crazy that they intend to repeal the tax and keep all the compensation schemes, including the income tax cuts.

Budget Emergency...

Yagharek

Thank god for the mining baron that somehow managed to buy himself into Parliament!

I'm not sure that it's fair to throw that accusation at him alone. Especially with the ICAC revelations at the major parties.

Clive is a businessman so his use of his own wealth is not quite so deceptive in theory.

Dead Man

I'm not sure that it's fair to throw that accusation at him alone. Especially with the ICAC revelations at the major parties.

Clive is a businessman so his use of his own wealth is not quite so deceptive in theory.

Doesn't have to be deceptive to be disapproved of.

Yagharek

True. I think at this stage though we can only judge Clive on his actions rather than his rhetoric, since the latter is completely unreliable as a gauge of intent.

Dead Man

True. I think at this stage though we can only judge Clive on his actions rather than his rhetoric, since the latter is completely unreliable as a gauge of intent.

Yeah, but I can judge the system for allowing someone to buy their way in. Publicly funded election campaigns would be my preference. It will never happen, but influence being bought, open or otherwise, legally or otherwise, is at the heart of many of the problems we are facing.

Yagharek

Yeah, but I can judge the system for allowing someone to buy their way in. Publicly funded election campaigns would be my preference. It will never happen, but influence being bought, open or otherwise, legally or otherwise, is at the heart of many of the problems we are facing.

To be honest I think both systems can be corrupted. That's not to say they are, just that the risk is equal.

I think the problem is more fundamental than who funds it. The problem lies in the entire concept of rule by popular opinion rather than qualified understanding deciding who gets to force through legislation.

If the only outcome is a monolithic Party claiming MANDATE then who gives a toss where the money comes from.

Which isn't to say I dont appreciate your argument. I just think it's a distraction.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The former's not a great gauge either. I'm not sure that anyone can say with confidence that they know what PUP is going to do from one week to the next, not even Clive.

I think Clive lives by two agendas and two agendas only. 1.) Political Clive does what is good for Personal Clive 2.) Look at me Look at me Look at me.

3.) Fuck the Queenland branch of the LNP. In fact I think that might be his overriding principle.

I suspect at some point his party will fall apart completely, The Brick and The Wang will probably join the government and Lambie will troll from the fringe.

Yagharek

Apparently Clive walked out on a 730 report interview tonight. Love being able to get advance warning of when it's worth watching in WA timezones.

mjontrix

I can imagine all big business sending their lobbiests and reps to palmer and Abbott - trying to circumvent handing out the full $550 or whatever it is.

The penalties are probably what scares them the most.

Myansie

So much irony. The party of personal responsibility pointing the finger at the by product of the inequality they espouse.

You can easily replace Palmer with Rhinehart or Murdoch and the story reads exactly the same. Come to think of it, no it doesn't, it's more insidious because their tendrils are in the Liberal party. Palmer in an incredibly true sense of irony is the Aussie billionaire battler against the major billionaire players.

Yagharek

So much irony. The party of personal responsibility pointing the finger at the by product of the inequality they espouse.

You can easily replace Palmer with Rhinehart or Murdoch and the story reads exactly the same. Come to think of it, no it doesn't, it's more insidious because their tendrils are in the Liberal party. Palmer in an incredibly true sense of irony is the Aussie billionaire battler against the major billionaire players.

Yep, nothing is quite so bad as the Murdoch and Rinehart influence. Those two are absolutely dangerous.

Yagharek

@ Dead Man

ABC Drum has an article today on why public funding of elections doesn't prevent corruption.

The idea of having the public fund elections or capping political donations was to prevent corruption in politics - and we know just how successful that's been, writes Mike Steketee.

Public funding for federal elections was introduced by the Hawke government 30 years ago with the noble intention of preventing the corruption of the political system. Or so it was claimed at the time.

In the words of the report of a parliamentary inquiry, getting taxpayers to pick up the tab "removes the necessity or temptation to seek funds that may come with conditions imposed or implied" and "it may relieve parties from the constant round of fundraising so that they can concentrate on policy problems and solutions".

As it turned out, less true words have seldom been spoken. Thanks particularly to the Independent Commission Against Corruption in NSW, where the Wran government was the first to introduce public funding in 1981, we now know just how successfully politics has been cleaned up.

It didn't achieve that goal, either, because Labor politicians, any more than Liberals, could not resist the temptation to stick out their hands for private donations as well. The arms race for private donations has been escalating ever since, these days reaching the unseemly stage of access to prime ministers, premiers and senior ministers being auctioned off to the highest bidders.

There's more, worth a read.

Myansie

It's the private donations that are causing the corruption. The idea is to ban them and run campaigns purely on public campaign funding. Trying to spend so much public campaign funding to dwarf the private sphere's spending is preposterous.

Yagharek

It's the private donations that are causing the corruption. The idea is to ban them and run campaigns purely on public campaign funding. Trying to spend so much public campaign funding to dwarf the private sphere's spending is preposterous.

The idea that either party will ever have "enough money" is what is preposterous. They will always want more - even if public funding is sufficient. Hence private donations. Public funding solves nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom