• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just as likely that the conscience vote exists because Gillard was against it. Now that the leader is supportive of the issue there may be more support in the party room to abolish the conscience vote.

Also there is a pretty loose connection between the factional allegiance of the MP and the seat they hold (I used to live in one of the most progressive seats in the country and it was held by an SDA type) and even if there was a connection they would lose. Most people vote according to party allegiance rather than the MP and there really aren't many votes anymore in appealing to traditional Labor voters who are also against same-sex marriage.

Yeah, true, especially in the safe seats since there's a lot of factional horse trading on that count, though sometimes it does bite them (but given that the actual party room is about 20% to the right of their base its a lot more likely to bite them from the left than the right).

bomma_man

The other thing the government can do is since they're in charge of the contract can easily check at the time of union whether or not either partner is unioned already, mentally fit, debts/child support etc.

Easy to check if you're about to tie yourself into something that you weren't aware of or not.

Forced marriages (Forced unions) will cease to exist, good luck since you'd be going to an office for the signing. And then changing things will become so much easier (multiple partners? Sure). Find marriage outdated but want to be partnered to your partner? Done.

I think you're discounting the symbolic power of the word. Civil union doesn't have the same cultural cache as marriage, even if it's legally indistinguishable. And look, I agree with most of the feminist and queer criticisms on marriage. It's patriarchal as shit, or at least it has been historically. I don't particularly want to get married. But people should have the choice to do so if they want. Much to the chagrine of conservatives it no longer represents oppression or ownership or gendered delegation if roles to most people. It represents mutual love.

We have Sovereign Citizens ? Really ? How the hell did that happen ? I thought that movement started in America as part of the Posse Comitatus movement.

danm999

This is the dumbest argument in circulation on the matter.

It walks a line between non sequitur and utter ignorance with finesse.

Its the equivalent of dumb republicans disproving climate change with snowballs in washington.

It should tell you how bad an argument against marriage equality that actually is when you can replace "same sex" with that old chestnut, "interracial" marriage, and the 'reasoning' (generous use of the term) holds up.

Technically, everybody had the same right to marry only people of their race.

bomma_man

It should tell you how bad an argument against marriage equality that actually is when you can replace "bestial" with that old chestnut, "interracial" marriage, and the 'reasoning' (generous use of the term) holds up.

Technically, everybody had the same right to marry only people of their species.

checkmate

No idea why you guys care, unless your like drugs.

Think how many more lives these drugs end or fuck up, these guys knew what was coming.
Focus your sadness on the nepal thing, a real tragedy. Not two drug dealing thugs.

Only thing they should regret is taking so long to do it. Imagine the outrage if they tried to fuck with our legal process.

If we keep slagging off indonesia if i were them id bomb the fuck out of us , thats really showing their weight, remember they could flatten us if they felt like it.

Omikron

No idea why you guys care, unless your like drugs.

Think how many more lives these drugs end or fuck up, these guys knew what was coming.
Focus your sadness on the nepal thing, a real tragedy. Not two drug dealing thugs.

Only thing they should regret is taking so long to do it. Imagine the outrage if they tried to fuck with our legal process.

If we keep slagging off indonesia if i were them id bomb the fuck out of us , thats really showing their weight, remember they could flatten us if they felt like it.

wow.

Roulette

They're not even opinions, though. It's like someone put a 6 year old in front of a microphone at the end of year assembly and said "so Billy, what do you think about the world" and he replied "it's all those druggies."

Omikron

Oh i get it, you guys fall for the puppy eyed bs of these two "reformed" pricks, its like an echo chamber in here.

Look. I am not really interested in engaging in someone that is so quickly going after a personal attack rather than actually discussing something.

But it's nothing to do with who/what the individuals in question did. They committed a crime and deserve a punishment. But I can't agree with the death penalty, nor can I agree in the manner in which Indonesia played out and carried out that sentence on those people.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm willing to go to war with Indonesia over this. I've been waiting over a decade for that heroin. No I don't care that eight humans have been murdered by authorities in a nation with rampant corruption and populism for an offence that societies with values closer to my own punish with prison time and rehabilitation, which is what those executed had undergone. I just want my horse.

Look. I am not really interested in engaging in someone that is so quickly going after a personal attack rather than actually discussing something.

But it's nothing to do with who/what the individuals in question did. They committed a crime and deserve a punishment. But I can't agree with the death penalty, nor can I agree in the manner in which Indonesia played out and carried out that sentence on those people.

Which part of that is a personal attack? I said they are puppy eyed not you, and gaf is an echo chamber not you in particular.

Oh i get it, you guys fall for the puppy eyed bs of these two "reformed" pricks, its like an echo chamber in here.

1. Being a low-level link in the drug chain isn't a crime worthy of being murdered.

2. The death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent and is generally fucked.

3. You can't say both "think of their victims" and "they knew the consequences." If you want to play the "they knew the consequences" card, everyone hurt by the drugs they were moving knew the consequences when they started taking drugs, too.

1. Being a low-level link in the drug chain isn't a crime worthy of being murdered.

2. The death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent and is generally fucked.

3. You can't say both "think of their victims" and "they knew the consequences." If you want to play the "they knew the consequences" card, everyone hurt by the drugs they were moving knew the consequences when they started taking drugs, too.

Its not really a detterent, but is it meant to be? Its just a way of solving a problem (ie what to do with those deemed un redeemable)

All i can say to you guys, is if you want to change the laws, go to indonesia, get elected, change the laws, other than that, acting outraged on the internet over some fucks you never met and who never did anything constructive for society is a feeble waste of time.

Fredescu

acting outraged on the internet over some fucks you never met and who never did anything constructive for society is a feeble waste of time.

How would you describe acting outraged on the internet about people acting outraged on the internet? You seem pretty worked up about this yourself.

How would you describe acting outraged on the internet about people acting outraged on the internet? You seem pretty worked up about this yourself.

It is pathetic of me yes, but if this once off thing gives you guys a bit of persoective, then its time well spent. You all seem like good guys, just a little misguided is all.

Dryk

Well there you have it guys. Nobody got anything done ever except by being elected, time to pack up and go home.

You have no idea how long it takes to execute someone or why they chose to do it now do you

Considering the way unpleasant fucks like yourself are saying "they shouldn't have been trafficking drugs, they knew the consequences!" I'd say it's meant to act as a deterrent, yes.

Listen here my brother, direct personal attacks are not tolerated on here, cheers son dont do it again and i will let you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom