• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I may have gotten Bernadi and Barnaby confused. Oh well, they're both vile scumbags, so it's not like there's much difference.

Really, though, even if Turnbull wins this election, I can't see him winning the next. His government will be effectively paralysed by trying to both appease the right-wing and avoid veering further towards them while the senate will probably still be as 'rabid' as ever (if not moreso due to Coalition electoral losses, two known headaches likely retaining their seats and two usual senate allies probably losing their seats as well, not to mention the no-nonsense Xenophon having more power than ever) and unlikely to give two shits about any 'mandate'. It'll be a death by a thousand cuts, and if the party doesn't self-destruct in a mirror of the Rudd/Gillard days, the electorate will remove them at the second election. Christ, at least while Gillard had a hung parliament she actually got things done with reasonable policies, neither Abbot nor Turnbull have really been able to get anything done period.

Amusingly at this stage losing the election is probably only the second worst outcome for them. The worst outcome would be barely holding the house, getting an actual hostile senate and lacking the numbers to pass the trigger issue in a joint sitting. They'd end up looking idiotic (since they'd be in a worse position than they were) and be in a really difficult position regarding legislation for the entire next sitting.

Shaneus

I'm honestly convinced at this point that Turnbull is just saying things to appease the right-wing and has absolutely no leverage to move any further towards the centre, because we know he doesn't believe in what he's saying on negative gearing, as Four Corners pointed out.

If the polling situation continues to slowly deteriorate for him, I honestly wonder what Turnbull will do, because the strategy he's employing isn't working and that's not gonna change. I wonder if he's disillusioned with the party he's in, being forced to back polices he doesn't believe in and might even think aren't electorally viable while Labor is actually gaining ground with policies that were previously considered electoral poison.

It would be extremely entertaining if the polling situation got desperate enough for Turnbull to snap and just abandon the government altogether to form his own centrist party and take his supporters with him. It would also destroy the Coalition as a viable force federally. Granted, it would be an extremely ballsy and unprecedented move, but continuing with a sinking ship would just end with Turnbull's career on a sour note, whereas doing something like this would immortalize him in Australian political history, and that's assuming the Coalition breaks down further with Barnaby making good on his idea of starting a 'proper conservative' party.
My fiancee has a possible explanation/theory, and that's that Turnbull is deliberately trying to sabotage his party/the election. We're coming up short on reasons *why* he'd do that, but it's the only possible reason he's acting like such a fucking tophat.

Christ, at least while Gillard had a hung parliament she actually got things done with reasonable policies, neither Abbot nor Turnbull have really been able to get anything done period.
Don't forget FTTN.

r1chard

This is pretty amazing from Abbott, especially given the Mirabella pork barrel gaffe a couple of weeks back:
Abbott said:
[getting rid of the mining tax] was a magnificent achievement by the [member] for Groom in his time as minister ... and I hope the sector will acknowledge and demonstrate their gratitude to him in his years of retirement from this place.

There's a followup on the same page referring to Abbott's "ministerial code" which is just so much hot air:
Ministers are required to undertake that, for an eighteen month period after ceasing to be a minister, they will not lobby, advocate or have business meetings with members of the government, parliament, public service or defence force on any matters on which they have had official dealings as minister in their last eighteen months in office.

(hmm, that 18 months limitation on dealings while being minister might be a weasel-out ... the mining tax was killed off earlier than that IIRC)

This is pretty amazing from Abbott, especially given the Mirabella pork barrel gaffe a couple of weeks back:

There's a followup on the same page referring to Abbott's "ministerial code" which is just so much hot air:

(hmm, that 18 months limitation on dealings while being minister might be a weasel-out ... the mining tax was killed off earlier than that IIRC)

He was dumped as a minister when Turnbull took over, that'll shorten his gardening leave until he can have his own mine. Look up the record of past Nationals leaders, Vale and Anderson, when it comes to mines. Both run disastrous mining ventures now.

An interesting dynamic that will come up soon in regards to the debates. Now debates aren't much of a thing in Australia compared to say the USA, but for the first time in as long as I can remember the Liberal candidate will likely outperformed the Labor candidate. Howard lost pretty much every debate, even against Latham, as did Abbott and the others, Turnbull can't possibly lose a debate against Shorten, right?

Dryk

He's a gift that keeps on giving
Chp3fwRVEAAyeRb.jpg:large

He's a gift that keeps on giving

Sometimes I wonder about blind donations ie all donations to politically parties are anonymous to the party but disclosed to an appropriate body and kept anonymous and only disclosed to politicians / party at the same time as to the public.

If Shorten gives a drunk speech with self awareness of zingers, he will walk the debates.

I've seen a few interviews where he admits to being aware of the zingers along with his office!

Bronwyn also gave it to Abbott last night in her valedictorian.

"That came to an end when I was asked to resign to protect Tony Abbott, someone whom I had assisted and worked with and respected for many years," she said.
Bronwyn Bishop delivered her farewell speech to Parliament House on Wednesday.

"There is much more than meets the eye in that saga, but not for now."

Abbott didn't bother showing up.

bomma_man

I've seen a few interviews where he admits to being aware of the zingers along with his office!

Bronwyn also gave it to Abbott last night in her valedictorian.

Abbott didn't bother showing up.

To be fair to abbott (shiver) she was the one that fucked up. What happened to the party of personal responsibility.

yepyepyep

I love that they have actual ideas and things to drip feed to the public before July 2. Pretty sure the LNP has played all their cards... and quite poorly, too.

I think the Liberals have about 1.5 billion reserved for pork barrelling during the election campaign.

I love that they have actual ideas and things to drip feed to the public before July 2. Pretty sure the LNP has played all their cards... and quite poorly, too.

Nah there's extra set aside in the budget for election stuff , they don't have to pin it down until closer to the election. There's a fair few cuts in the same category. Which means you can expect some paired announcements and some whispered cuts to immediately be distracted with election promise announcements.

Arksy

I love budget replies, "WE DISAGREE UTTERLY WITH EVERYTHING"

Then they just vote for the budget anyway. (Most of it).

Dumb budget. Dumb response. My hatred of Auspol continues.

To be fair most of it is relatively non-controversial administrative stuff that's removed from other changes so that the opposition can do that. No one in the Major Parties really wants a repeat of Whitlam.

Arksy

Haven't heard anything about Bob Day's voting reform challenge at the High Court yet, though it was meant to report on budget day or the day after. Might be as late as the 11th now.

Might it be like the 2007 challenge to the voting reforms by Howard in that they'll announce their decision and give reasons six months after? I've been woefully out of the constitutional news reel for the last year or so.

For what it's worth, from what I've read (which isn't much, mainly media sources) I'm going to predict now that they'll be woefully unsuccessful in their bid. The reasoning on the right to vote will be interesting though.

I'm in two minds as to what I think on the law though. As much fun as it was to have average people in the Senate, I would probably prefer it if I could comfortably say they had democratic confidence. It's kind of hard to say it when you get <1% of the primary vote.

Might it be like the 2007 challenge to the voting reforms by Howard in that they'll announce their decision and give reasons six months after? I've been woefully out of the constitutional news reel for the last year or so.

For what it's worth, from what I've read (which isn't much, mainly media sources) I'm going to predict now that they'll be woefully unsuccessful in their bid. The reasoning on the right to vote will be interesting though.

I'm in two minds as to what I think on the law though. As much fun as it was to have average people in the Senate, I would probably prefer it if I could comfortably say they had democratic confidence. It's kind of hard to say it when you get <1% of the primary vote.

I'd be okay with arbitrarily small amounts of the primary vote if it was a natural outcome because the point of Preferences is to pick the best compromise not the most initially popular. But group voting tickets were seldom reflective of normal voter tendencies in broad ideological terms let alone specific party order.

Arksy

We should draw a raffle for the Senate like we do for Jury duty. Every 3 years 76 people are plucked out at random to review legislation, 6 people from each state plus the others or whatever. I think Senator Muir stepping up to the plate and performing fairly well as a Senator shows us that it may not end in total disaster.

r1chard

We should draw a raffle for the Senate like we do for Jury duty. Every 3 years 76 people are plucked out at random to review legislation, 6 people from each state plus the others or whatever. I think Senator Muir stepping up to the plate and performing fairly well as a Senator shows us that it may not end in total disaster.
Given that the folks who end up in the senate aren't necessarily any more qualified to be there (they just happen to have dedicated their life to belonging to a particular club) I think that's a brilliant idea. Probably needs a little fine tuning :)

Edit: So I've just been hit with the clue stick and am reading up on sortition and Athenian democracy now. This stuff was probably mentioned in school, which was 30 years ago and boring as all hell :)

Yagharek

Ive been a fan of this idea for several years now. Maybe ensure enough random selected senate duty people are there to ensure balance of power can never rest with any party.

It won't be perfect but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to serve as a check to ensure some level of mitigation against political party corruption.

Resistance wasn't futile: Tim Nicholls will be the leader of the LNP in Queensland.

So weird. The LNP were likely to succeed at the next election (well maybe due to CPV being restored) and Nicholls would have made the same call as Springborg there (it was tied onto one of their bills which saved 2 and added 2 nominally conservative seats). Knifing a leader who's not basement in the polls is a garbage idea.

There was a guy on Q&A last Monday from http://www.newdemocracy.com.au/ who advocates that very thing though on shorter terms. Some councils are already running with it and I believe the Victorian Government is very interested, not surprising with Andrews in charge. Can we all have a Dan Andrews in charge of our states/territories?

Sounds like a great idea to me though there would have be some level of anonymity for those involved to prevent the onslaught of outside lobbying.

He does seem very unlikely to win but can you issue writs with a slim chance of the voting laws changing? Would the results be null? Though it seems like the writs don't have to be issued until 10 days after the GG dissolves parliament giving them breathing space. I imagine they are taking that into account just in case.

darkace

Banned

Shorten has really been veering into populist territory, and it's worrying. Populism gives you things like Howards final term and Rudd outside the first GFC response. A load of rubbish for not much gain. I think Shorten could be a good PM if he just stayed as Shorten. Be a boring policy wonk for the good of all of us.

Personally, I think that the budget was seriously good. Understandably it's mild given it's both Turnbulls' first budget and an election year budget, but I like the direction it's heading. Company tax cuts are the single best fiscal policy any government could implement, and the income tax cuts are just a re-indexing to fix bracket creep. The subsidised lower wage workers have also had great success in countries that have implemented it (I want to say Sweden?).

yepyepyep

Shorten has really been veering into populist territory, and it's worrying. Populism gives you things like Howards final term and Rudd outside the first GFC response. A load of rubbish for not much gain. I think Shorten could be a good PM if he just stayed as Shorten. Be a boring policy wonk for the good of all of us.

Personally, I think that the budget was seriously good. Understandably it's mild given it's both Turnbulls' first budget and an election year budget, but I like the direction it's heading. Company tax cuts are the single best fiscal policy any government could implement, and the income tax cuts are just a re-indexing to fix bracket creep. The subsidised lower wage workers have also had great success in countries that have implemented it (I want to say Sweden?).

What is populist about Shorten's budget reply?

darkace

Banned
What is populist about Shorten's budget reply?

The way he's framing the budget as being for big business and the wealthy instead of for 'working families'. Howard's battlers, anyone? Not to mention that company taxes are majority paid by workers.

The way he's framing small businesses as being better than big, when no evidence suggests that it's true (although to be fair so is Malcolm, but Shorten has taken it up a notch)

His attacks on the super changes, which are just nonsense. The super changes are equitable and a gain to working families.

I just find his whole framing of the debate off-putting. He's really amping up the class warfare rhetoric, which is awful coming from either party.

I've never really liked Shorten, but I'd like him a whole lot more if he'd stick to policy wonk Shorten that gave us the NDIS rather than Abbott-lite Shorten.

yepyepyep

The way he's framing the budget as being for big business and the wealthy instead of for 'working families'. Howard's battlers, anyone? Not to mention that company taxes are majority paid by workers.

The way he's framing small businesses as being better than big, when no evidence suggests that it's true (although to be fair so is Malcolm, but Shorten has taken it up a notch)

His attacks on the super changes, which are just nonsense. The super changes are equitable and a gain to working families.

I just find his whole framing of the debate off-putting. He's really amping up the class warfare rhetoric, which is awful coming from either party.

I've never really liked Shorten, but I'd like him a whole lot more if he'd stick to policy wonk Shorten that gave us the NDIS rather than Abbott-lite Shorten.

The criticisms against super changes are against their retrospectivity rather the super changes themselves. I think this is fair criticism and not really populist. When you have a Liberal party that has cut funding to health, education and other measures that have disproportionally affected lower income earners, how is pointing out that the Liberal party prioritising negative gearing, which benefits high income earners, and cutting the company tax rate, inciting class warfare?

The Liberals like to pretend that they don't deal with class warfare but ideologically it's all over their priorities. I mean they've spent more than the last Labor government despite all the cuts to health, science, renewable energies, education etc. etc.

For me, Shorten's weakest asset was his PR game. The zingers he was using during the Abbot era were obviously shitty. However, I do think he is underrated in terms of managing his team and developing policy, which at the end of day is the most important part of being a politician. The Turnball budget wasn't a horror show like the infamous Abbot/Hockey budget, but it is obviously a desperate and defensive budget, which can be seen in appropriating Labor measures on superannuation, cigarette tax, multinational tax avoidance, despite them attacking Labor for these measures throughout the year.

Also, I strongly disagree in describing Shorten as Abbot-lite. Abbot was a complete trainwreck who was constantly on attack mode, no matter the occasion. He is also defined by his arrogance and outright lies during the election season., and Shorten hasn't come close to those things. I mean his main weakness is that he appears a bit of a wet noodle and has a bad reputation from being involved in the coups of Rudd/Gillard, rather than being known as the aggressive Labor attack dog.

Company tax cuts are the single best fiscal policy any government could implement, and the income tax cuts are just a re-indexing to fix bracket creep.

So... Cutting a tax rate that companies are already not paying and barely saving the top 25% an amount that they wouldn't even notice in terms of their incomes, while just the former will cost the government well over $50 over the next ten years? Yeah, real good fiscal policy, there.

The budget is practically a shrine to Reagan's voodoo economics, with some sweeteners on the side to desperately try and make the government look like it's being 'fair' on everyone, and those specifically are really just stolen Labor policies. There is literally no evidence to support the notion that tax cuts on businesses and the rich do anything for growth, if anything they actually reduce growth.

darkace

Banned
The criticisms against super changes are against their retrospectivity rather the super changes themselves. I think this is fair criticism and not really populist.

They aren't retrospective. Any more than any other tax changes are.

When you have a Liberal party that has cut funding to health, education and other measures that have disproportionally affected lower income earners, how is pointing out that the Liberal party prioritising negative gearing, which benefits high income earners, and cutting the company tax rate, inciting class warfare?

They cut funding to measures that Labor didn't fund. If they want to fund Gonski and the education increases they're more than welcome to raise the taxes themselves.

And company taxes are paid by the working class. I don't agree with negative gearing but lets not pretend its possible for the LNP to make all the changes at once. They couldn't even fix bracket creep entirely this budget.

The Liberals like to pretend that they don't deal with class warfare but ideologically it's all over their priorities. I mean they've spent more than the last Labor government despite all the cuts to health, science, renewable energies, education etc. etc.

It's a fundamental difference in ideologies. I don't see 'class warfare' from the LNP's changes. The 2014 budget you might have a point, but there is little evidence to suggest Turnbull is as ideologically inclined as his idiot predecessor.

For me, Shorten's weakest asset was his PR game. The zingers he was using during the Abbot era were obviously shitty. However, I do think he is underrated in terms of managing his team and developing policy, which at the end of day is the most important part of being a politician.

I think Shorten is very good as a team manager and a policy developer. He's somewhat like Gillard in this regard. They both have that same lack of charisma.

And as much as I'd like Shorten to have more credit for these things, it's just very difficult to do so. Keating is more known for his acerbic caustic wit than his brilliance as a policy developer.

The Turnball budget wasn't a horror show like the infamous Abbot/Hockey budget, but it is obviously a desperate and defensive budget, which can be seen in appropriating Labor measures on superannuation, cigarette tax, multinational tax avoidance, despite them attacking Labor for these measures throughout the year.

So what? Seriously so what? It's a good budget that is a win for the vast majority of the population.

Also, I strongly disagree in describing Shorten as Abbot-lite. Abbot was a complete trainwreck who was constantly on attack mode, no matter the occasion. He is also defined by his arrogance and outright lies during the election season., and Shorten hasn't come close to those things. I mean his main weakness is that he appears a bit of a wet noodle and has a bad reputation from being involved in the coups of Rudd/Gillard, rather than being known as the aggressive Labor attack dog.

That was a bit hyperbolic, but yea, I'd prefer Shorten stuck to what he was good at. Going on rhetorical attacks isn't it. The man has the ability to make a very good PM. Like a Howard of the centre. Howard going populist was his undoing, I hope Shorten doesn't jump the shark here.

So... Cutting a tax rate that companies are already not paying and barely saving the top 25% an amount that they wouldn't even notice in terms of their incomes, while just the former will cost the government well over $50 over the next ten years? Yeah, real good fiscal policy, there.

Company taxes are paid by the working class.

http://www.treasury.gov.au/~/media/...g Paper 2015 01/Documents/PDF/TWP2015-01.ashx

http://www.treasury.gov.au/Publicat...e-1/The-incidence-of-company-tax-in-Australia

Dropping the company tax rate is a direct reduction in taxation on the working class. It's good policy, especially as it increases long-run wage growth rather than merely increases after-tax disposable income. It's long-term planning.

Also that article is not good. The tax changes have nothing to do with the laffer curve. Company tax has a massive marginal excess burden. Otherwise known as the distortionary effect that the behavioural changes from the implementation of a tax cause. It's a massive drag on Australia's prosperity.

There is literally no evidence to support the notion that tax cuts on businesses and the rich do anything for growth, if anything they actually reduce growth.

Are you serious right now? Have you seen the Treasury modelling for the company tax cut? Extra 1% GDP growth over 10 years. That's massive. Tax cuts increase growth, there is literally nothing else that could happen as a result.

If what you're proposing was true we could hit taxes up to 100% and watch as the economy exploded with growth and we could afford any welfare proposal we ever wanted to implement.

Also, what happened to a more normal bird? It looks like his account got nuked. Did he do something awful?

yepyepyep

They aren't retrospective. Any more than any other tax changes are.

I may have been misinformed on this matter. In that a case a bit of bad politicking by Shorten.

They cut funding to measures that Labor didn't fund. If they want to fund Gonski and the education increases they're more than welcome to raise the taxes themselves.

Well that's a bit rich considering that they entered the last election on a Gonski unity ticket. If they weren't going to fund Gonski long term they should have said so. Labor has announced the savings measures in their budget reply that can help fund Gonski. I would also argue (I guess this my own ideological preference) that education funding is one of the main fundamentals that you should continually strongly invest in, i.e. if there needs to be savings measures, look at education as a last resort.

And company taxes are paid by the working class. I don't agree with negative gearing but lets not pretend its possible for the LNP to make all the changes at once. They couldn't even fix bracket creep entirely this budget.

Cutting company tax rate deprives the government of revenue that they can fund for health, education .etc. Admittedly, this is an ideological difference. I don't mind higher taxes to pay for a social safety net, but I can understand those who prefer lower taxes. Also, there is the hypocrisy of of Liberals complaining about a budget deficit emergency and then giving a tax cut that further reduces government revenue.

It's a fundamental difference in ideologies. I don't see 'class warfare' from the LNP's changes. The 2014 budget you might have a point, but there is little evidence to suggest Turnbull is as ideologically inclined as his idiot predecessor.

Turnbull's leadership seems very fragile and there is repeated occasions where he has demonstrated that he is beholden to the far right of his party (backtracking on climate change, same-sex marriage, previous comments where he has criticised negative gearing). I would argue that there is no evidence to indicate that Turnbull is as centre or even "progressive" as his reputation somehow qualifies. His moderate image seems to be more about things he has said rather than achieved. Honestly, his track record with policy is nothing to write home about. I will also always hate him for ruining the NBN with a similarly expensive but much more shitty product. There is also the endless amount of backtracking and brainfarts he has produced in the last months. GST increase? No GST increase. End federal funding for public schools? No, scratch that.

I think Shorten is very good as a team manager and a policy developer. He's somewhat like Gillard in this regard. They both have that same lack of charisma.

I agree. Gillard was pretty bad at the PR game, but in terms of the actually politicking, was quite skilled in navigating a hung parliament. I kind of wonder how she would have went if she had a 'clean' election campaign rather than gaining prime ministership through a coup. I remember she was almost trying to appear more right/ centre than her reputation but she just ended alienating her base.

So what? Seriously so what? It's a good budget that is a win for the vast majority of the population.

Well there is the fact the Liberals quite literally lied their way into parliament by not revealing their true agenda. If this is a defensive budget where they have desperately incorporated palatable Labor policies (their attacks during question time demonstrate that they have only used these policies because of their declining popularity), how can we trust them to actually incorporate them? What if they pull an Abbot and just do a complete 180? Given the policies backflips and lack of direction, what will they do next budget? Appropriate more popular Labor policies? Also, we're not just re-electing Turnbull, but allowing all the other incompetents in the Liberal party for more shitty decision making.

The people's hero Cory Bernardi has had enough of the budget's super changes!

Morrison claims the new cap at 1.6mil allows for an income of about 4x the age pension, 100k or so? But all this predicated on Australia growing at a crazy optimistic 6% GDP year in year out. I believe the last time Australia grew as fast or faster was 1970. Not even Cory is buying this.

darkace

Banned
Well that's a bit rich considering that they entered the last election on a Gonski unity ticket. If they weren't going to fund Gonski long term they should have said so. Labor has announced the savings measures in their budget reply that can help fund Gonski. I would also argue (I guess this my own ideological preference) that education funding is one of the main fundamentals that you should continually strongly invest in, i.e. if there needs to be savings measures, look at education as a last resort.

LNP promised funding for Gonski over the forward estimates. I.e. four years. I'm fairly sure they stuck to that promise.

Well there is the fact the Liberals quite literally lied their way into parliament by not revealing their true agenda. If this is a defensive budget where they have desperately incorporated palatable Labor policies (their attacks during question time demonstrate that they have only used these policies because of their declining popularity), how can we trust them to actually incorporate them? What if they pull an Abbot and just do a complete 180? Given the policies backflips and lack of direction, what will they do next budget? Appropriate more popular Labor policies? Also, we're not just re-electing Turnbull, but allowing all the other incompetents in the Liberal party for more shitty decision making.

I don't think that they would do that again if they were placed back into power. You have to remember that Abbot was an idiot. He was just a moron.

Turnbull has a turn towards the centre anchored by the far-right lunatics, but I still think he can do a whole heap of good for the country. He's just another Keating or Hewson.

I'm pretty torn on who to vote for in the upcoming election. On the one hand Turnbull is literally me ideologically, and I think him and Morrison would make changes for the better economically, even if the changes would probably be regressive overall. On the other the ALP platform is pretty good and the LNP are anchored by the far-right lunatics.

I've gone Green before, but Di Natale's budget reply was awful, although I do agree with their social policies.

Labor is currently announcing they will reverse the Coalition cuts to paid parental leave. Reminding people of Abbott's abandonment of his PPL policy he went to the election with, and reminding people of the 'double-dipping' comments. A smart Mother's Day morning announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom