• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

neshcom

Banned
Someone go the the Madeon/Porter Robinson show for me in spirit! ACL has so many good acts coming, but lots of stuff I'm not interested in...

Service industry keeps me away from big ATX festival again! :D

I need to find night spots that don't revolve around alcohol. This is crazy as I live downtown, but I work out almost every day, so I don't really drink anymore.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Probably a long shot, but does anybody need a weekend two acl ticket? I have had a hell of a few months and have been stubbornly holding out hope that I'd be able to make it but today was my fifth day of chemotherapy and it's just not happening.

kgtrep

Probably a long shot, but does anybody need a weekend two acl ticket? I have had a hell of a few months and have been stubbornly holding out hope that I'd be able to make it but today was my fifth day of chemotherapy and it's just not happening.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. As far as "It's cancer and it's chemotherapy" goes, it could have been a lot worse. I still couldn't justify going out even for a few hours walking around and standing in a field though. I was able to sell my ticket at an easier loss to swallow than 100%, but I was really looking forward to this weekend up until about a month ago.

Last weekend was excellent weather for ACL. Looks like this weekend might be even better, though it was toasty earlier today. Much better than the desert wasteland conditions of weekend 2 last year.

Fine Austin gaffers I am traveling soon to the new silicon valley for the F1 USGP in a few weeks. Still trying to figure out where to stay and how to get to the CotA which is seemingly more troublesome than getting airfare and tickets to the event.

I'm gonna have a few days buffering my trip (wed/thurs and monday) and want to know of some places to check out. I was planning already to check out Franklins BBQ but I don't really have any other places in mind.

Anyone else from the area going to the event?

New Korean rice bowl spot opened up on the Drag, called K-Bop. Passed by it the other day and checked it out for supper today, and I enjoyed it. Nothing mind-blowing, but very solid homemade Korean food. If you live downtown close to campus, check it out. The manager is a really nice guy, too.

How the hell do you guys get around this town with no Uber or Lyft? I just made plans and now I've got to figure out how I'm getting around town because of this. Do I need to worry about more drunk drivers because of this?

neshcom

Banned
How the hell do you guys get around this town with no Uber or Lyft? I just made plans and now I've got to figure out how I'm getting around town because of this. Do I need to worry about more drunk drivers because of this?

We've got different apps here. I like Fasten, but there's also Fare and Ride Austin.

Zoe

They said there's been no change in drunk driving compared to last year's ACL.

Timeaisis

Fare and Fasten are fine. I have noticed barely any difference, to be honest. All the Uber/Lyft drivers just switched. Fare is a little more expensive, I guess.

I haven't noticed any more drunk driving.

Zoe

The other services should have been considerably cheaper than Uber last weekend because of no surge pricing.

Great point Zoe! Ride|Austin apparently is using Ubers technology so I'm gonna try them all and see which is best.

I really need a partner in crime to fully enjoy all these amazing options you guys have for food. I've narrowed it down to about a dozen but I'm sure I'll find more before my trip.

I'm gonna be staying near the south congress. I gather that's a hip area?

neshcom

Banned
The other services should have been considerably cheaper than Uber last weekend because of no surge pricing.

Fare has surge pricing. Fasten will let you wait to see if anyone will pick you up at a no-surge price, but when it's surging, it can take a while. Haven't tried Ride Austin yet.

I really need a partner in crime to fully enjoy all these amazing options you guys have for food. I've narrowed it down to about a dozen but I'm sure I'll find more before my trip.
What's your list so far
I'm gonna be staying near the south congress. I gather that's a hip area?
It's also a very tourist-trappy area, the boutiques and shops on South Congress will charge you an arm and a leg. :)

I would totally be that person, if I had a job. I love me some food, and definitely love exploring to places I haven't been to yet.

What's your list so far

It's also a very tourist-trappy area, the boutiques and shops on South Congress will charge you an arm and a leg. :)

I'm used to that as I live near SF and it's crazy here.

As for a list I've got these down for sure:

Franklin's
Torchy's Tacos
Bangers Sausage House and Beer garden
Waffle house

Any suggestions for places I can't miss would be helpful. I thought I had a good list, but most of the places ended up being tourist trap stuff like Rudy's or Stubs which I'm sure might be good, but I'm not really looking for that. I could be totally wrong in my perception of them though.

Something I am interested in is southern style food and more bbq. And any local regional foods that I can ship home so I can share it with the missus.

Any icehouses or breweries that are must see's?

Zoe

Ew, why Waffle House? There also isn't gonna be one anywhere near you.

And Rudy's is definitely not a tourist trap.

Servbot24

Banned
Feel free to let me know if you need someone to hang with at a new restaurant Beardy! I've been here 5 years but have done a pretty shameful job exploring the food.

I would add Hopdoddy's to your list btw, awesome burgers.

24 Diner is a waaaaaaaaaay better option than Waffle House, haha.

Ramen Tatsuya is a spot you want to hit up, too. The south location is way cooler as far as style.

Also, Uchi's "sake social" (aka, happy hour) is not to be missed. It's affordable and lets you try out arguably Austin's most important restaurant as far as cultivating chefs that have gone on to have their own Austin restaurants.

Why, well I thought it was something of a legend that we don't have over here on the west coast. The 24 hour grease pits aren't in high demand, but 24 hour vegan juicebars are.

I will put Rudy's back on the list of places to check out then with your recommendation. So if it's bad I'm gonna blame you. :p

Feel free to let me know if you need someone to hang with at a new restaurant Beardy! I've been here 5 years but have done a pretty shameful job exploring the food.

I would add Hopdoddy's to your list btw, awesome burgers.

I definitely would be up for checking out something from the suggestions if you've not checked one of them out we can explore it together.

I had Hopdoddy's on my initial list so back on it'll go.

24 Diner is a waaaaaaaaaay better option than Waffle House, haha.

Ramen Tatsuya is a spot you want to hit up, too. The south location is way cooler as far as style.

Also, Uchi's "sake social" (aka, happy hour) is not to be missed. It's affordable and lets you try out arguably Austin's most important restaurant as far as cultivating chefs that have gone on to have their own Austin restaurants.

That's the sushi spot I was hearing about that is godly isn't it? Ok that is all gonna happen one way or another.

Thank you guys for the suggestions I think I've got a pretty full list of options for places to go now. Can't wait to get my grub on!

Meier

Waffle House is a classic but it's more a Southern thing than a Texas thing. In the Southeast (Florida, Georgia, etc.), just about every exit from a major Interstate has one. But the food is nothing special or anything.

Zoe

I will put Rudy's back on the list of places to check out then with your recommendation. So if it's bad I'm gonna blame you. :p

Well, calling it a tourist trap is just weird. It's like the opposite of that--it's where the locals go when they just want some barbecue without having to make an event out of it.

If you want to go to an Austin-y 24hr diner, go to the nearest Kerbey Lane.

And when you go to Rudy's they'll ask you if you've been there before. Make sure you say no. This is important. You'll get to sample everything on the menu. Order meats by weight. The menu has everything listed in half-pounds, but you can order in quarter-pounds, .1 pounds, whatever you want. In addition to using the menu terms for brisket, Moist, Lean, and Cutter's Choice, you can tell them exactly how you like your brisket (outside cut aka lots of crispy bark), and they'll get the best cut they can.

I uh...I like Rudy's.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
i swear, people will pull this thread out from under the rubble 100 years from now and go "shit, all these fuckers did was eat!"

That's pretty much one of two goals I ever have when I'm in Austin.

Not to break up the food discussion, but out all the half-dozen or so ridesharing apps around is Fasten the best of them now?

Zoe

Not to break up the food discussion, but out all the half-dozen or so ridesharing apps around is Fasten the best of them now?

There was a discussion going on over at the Austin Reddit sub yesterday that suggests Fare is preferable to Fasten, both from a consumer and driver perspective.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Went to Eberly soft opening last nigh (about 1/2 a block towards the river from Uchi)

Absolutely amazing space. They bought the old bar from the Cedar Tavern in NYC when it closed, and it looks phenomenal.

One of the 3-4 prettiest bar/restaurants in Austin for sure.

Cocktails were so so, but they hired my favorite bar tender from Justine's, so you can get super solid stuff if you get off their drinks menu and go with standards.

I didn't eat there, but there also appears to be a bar at the restaurant that is unique from the back bar.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
There was a discussion going on over at the Austin Reddit sub yesterday that suggests Fare is preferable to Fasten, both from a consumer and driver perspective.

Fasten is really shitting the bed recently.

They seem to have the most drivers, but I routinely have 15+ minute waits, and i live extremely central on South Lamar. During popular hours I've totally failed to be able to get a ride home for North of 30 minutes. I want to be able to go out and not have to worry about if I am going to get a ride home or now. I can walk home from pretty much anywhere but Rainey/East 6th. But still.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Fasten is really shitting the bed recently.

They seem to have the most drivers, but I routinely have 15+ minute waits, and i live extremely central on South Lamar. During popular hours I've totally failed to be able to get a ride home for North of 30 minutes. I want to be able to go out and not have to worry about if I am going to get a ride home or now. I can walk home from pretty much anywhere but Rainey/East 6th. But still.

Yikes. Guess I'll load up Fare when I'm in town next week. Thanks guys.

kgtrep

If you want to go to an Austin-y 24hr diner, go to the nearest Kerbey Lane.

And when you go to Rudy's they'll ask you if you've been there before. Make sure you say no. This is important. You'll get to sample everything on the menu. Order meats by weight. The menu has everything listed in half-pounds, but you can order in quarter-pounds, .1 pounds, whatever you want. In addition to using the menu terms for brisket, Moist, Lean, and Cutter's Choice, you can tell them exactly how you like your brisket (outside cut aka lots of crispy bark), and they'll get the best cut they can.

I uh...I like Rudy's.

Another vote for Rudy's. I like the short waits and the shout-outs they give to newcomers. (Plus, the sticker!) The Magnolia Cafe is good too for a diner experience.

Quite off topic, but is anyone interested in Toastmasters, to work on your communication and leadership skills? I am an officer at one of the clubs, and would be happy to have you over for a visit. Feel free to PM me for more info, thanks.

Well all this talk of Rudy's makes me think you guys need an excuse to go there.

Food aside what other things are worth checking out? I feel stupid I didn't read the OP at first lol what a junior mistake.

Anyone interested in going on a VIP Pit Walk at Cota? It's Thursday next week between 4-6pm. I've got 3 spots available

Evidently an explosion happened at the 3m building near four points and we all lost power. It's back now and I don't think anyone knows what happened.

Top Bottom