• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia plans to ban children from social media

nkarafo

Here's my stupid take.

When you are willingly use social media you kind of giving up a lot of information and privacy anyway. Even if you use each platform's privacy tools to limit what other users can see, you still giving everything to Facebook, Instagram, Tweeter, whatever. You are also not supposed to use fake accounts, which is another problem with social media. IMO, these platforms are not supposed to be anonymous. I mean it's right there in the name. Social. You use them to socialize, not hide and lurk.

So i agree. Give up your id and all the extra information while you are at it. This will solve a lot of issues with these platforms. Not only it will stop kids from using them, but also adult trolls.

It's not like anyone is forcing you to use them. Personally, i stay away from social media anyway, i always believed they are the scourge that ruined the internet. They might as well all have their servers burn in fire for all i care. The only one i use is Facebook's messenger only because that's what all my friends use to hang out. If i want to post opinions for people to see i just use the good old forums.

As for things like Tik-Tok, this one needs be banned altogether. Yeah, i know "people should have the right to use whatever they want for entertainment, no matter how stupid you think it is" and all that jazz but i don't care anymore. Logic and fairness should not apply to things like Tik-Tok. It's simply something that hurts humanity and it should not exist.

daffyduck

Here's my stupid take.

When you are willingly use social media you kind of giving up a lot of information and privacy anyway. Even if you use each platform's privacy tools to limit what other users can see, you still giving everything to Facebook, Instagram, Tweeter, whatever. You are also not supposed to use fake accounts, which is another problem with social media. IMO, these platforms are not supposed to be anonymous. I mean it's right there in the name. Social. You use them to socialize, not hide and lurk.

So i agree. Give up your id and all the extra information while you are at it. This will solve a lot of issues with these platforms. Not only it will stop kids from using them, but also adult trolls.

It's not like anyone is forcing you to use them. Personally, i stay away from social media anyway, i always believed they are the scourge that ruined the internet. They might as well all have their servers burn in fire for all i care. The only one i use is Facebook's messenger only because that's what all my friends use to hang out. If i want to post opinions for people to see i just use the good old forums.

Some companies and orgs will use Facebook, and only Facebook for posting notices etc.

Facebook requires a log in to read some comments, all comments, or even the posts themselves, depending on what they feel like that day.

They do not need Driver’s licence, banking info etc just to read posts from a Company or organization.

Trelane

The legality of VPN was and always is in the air. You can get banned on Steam for using a VPN to access lower region prices of a game for example. There are other cases as well.
I think you are misunderstanding what I’m trying to say. Steam banning a user for trying to get a lower price via VPN is not the same as a government judicial system fining and/or sentencing someone to a prison for it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I think you are misunderstanding what I’m trying to say. Steam banning a user for trying to get a lower price via VPN is not the same as a government judicial system fining and/or sentencing someone to a prison for it.
Same thing can be easily said about piracy. You wont go to jail for it. It also has its legal uses as well, for example, things that are impossible to get in specific countries, or products no longer available at all, among many other things. For example theres no legal way to buy and play No One Lives Forever and many other games.

Trelane

Same thing can be easily said about piracy. You wont go to jail for it. It also has its legal uses as well, for example, things that are impossible to get in specific countries, or products no longer available at all, among many other things. For example theres no legal way to buy and play No One Lives Forever and many other games.
You can be fined for piracy. Individuals who have illegally downloaded music have been punished with fines via court rulings.

Laws enforced by the government are very different than policies regarding an EULA or private policies of a company.

VPNs are not illegal, are used extensively by private individuals, companies, and government agencies all around the world. VPNs allow individuals to work remotely while connected to their company’s internal network. VPNs are not an illegal technology.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You can be fined for piracy. Individuals who have illegally downloaded music have been punished with fines via court rulings.

Laws enforced by the government are very different than policies regarding an EULA or private policies of a company.

VPNs are not illegal, are used extensively by private individuals, companies, and government agencies all around the world. VPNs allow individuals to work remotely while connected to their company’s internal network. VPNs are not an illegal technology.

And you can get killed for using VPN in certain countries lmao and thats a fact. Once corporations around the world start losing money over VPN's which will eventually happen, they'll become illegal as well. Just a matter of time. There is no law protecting VPN's, and their legality was always up for debate but allowed. I've given you facts and examples, you're just too stuck up on VPN's for some reason.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Funny I always thought this was the case when they first launched....how wrong was I 🙄

Trelane

And you can get killed for using VPN in certain countries lmao and thats a fact. Once corporations around the world start losing money over VPN's which will eventually happen, they'll become illegal as well. Just a matter of time. There is no law protecting VPN's, and their legality was always up for debate but allowed. I've given you facts and examples, you're just too stuck up on VPN's for some reason.
I’m just trying to figure out why you think VPNs are illegal in Australia, the whole point of the topic.

Also, did you have a source for the claim that someone was killed for using a VPN?

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
why you think VPNs are illegal in Australia,

I never said that. I was merely stating a fact that they're not fully legal. They never will be and may actually get worse with time, since governments and companies will want more control over consumers.

Also, did you have a source for the claim that someone was killed for using a VPN?

Well it's illegal in NK so you can imagine what happens to someone using it there for starters.

Trelane

I never said that. I was merely stating a fact that they're not fully legal. They never will be and may actually get worse with time, since governments and companies will want more control over consumers.

Well it's illegal in NK so you can imagine what happens to someone using it there for starters.

If you would like a source, Forbes online has a good article about the legality of VPNs:

The only countries that outright ban VPN through government legislation are Belarus, Iraq, North Korea, and Turkmenistan. China, Egypt, Oman, Russia, Turkey, and the UEA allow restricted access to approved VPNs.

I have found absolutely no reports or information regarding anyone being killed for using a VPN. Reporting that VPNs are widely illegal throughout the world and can result in the death penalty is disinformation. I hope you understand that my complaint is the spreading of unverified speculation as fact, not personal, which is why I have continued to argue the point.

Now, that is all I’m going to say on the matter as I’m afraid that my point of opinion in my original post has caused the topic to veer off of the initial purpose as to the topic of government regulation concerning social media. I apologize to Spyxos for the unintended thread derailment.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
If you would like a source, Forbes online has a good article about the legality of VPNs:

The only countries that outright ban VPN through government legislation are Belarus, Iraq, North Korea, and Turkmenistan. China, Egypt, Oman, Russia, Turkey, and the UEA allow restricted access to approved VPNs.

I have found absolutely no reports or information regarding anyone being killed for using a VPN. Reporting that VPNs are widely illegal throughout the world and can result in the death penalty is disinformation. I hope you understand that my complaint is the spreading of unverified speculation as fact, not personal, which is why I have continued to argue the point.

Now, that is all I’m going to say on the matter as I’m afraid that my point of opinion in my original post has caused the topic to veer off of the initial purpose as to the topic of government regulation concerning social media. I apologize to Spyxos for the unintended thread derailment.

Your source states exactly what I stated:

The legality of VPNs has sparked much debate as concerns over online privacy and government surveillance have continued to grow. While the answer seems straightforward in some locations, the truth is that it’s a complex and nuanced issue that varies per country.

It's not fully legal as in, eating an apple. It's more like owning/using a gun.
I have found absolutely no reports or information regarding anyone being killed for using a VPN

You never will. Those countries don't exactly share this kind of information lmao. It's just common sense what would happen to said people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom