• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bimmer is small and though the engine is nifty - but frankly I hear dreadful things about reliability and the changing warranty.

nib95

Banned
Bimmer is small and though the engine is nifty - but frankly I hear dreadful things about reliability and the changing warranty.

The 2016 X1 has a much roomier cabin overall, in terms of headroom, legroom and boot space. In terms of exterior size, it's about the same length as a GLA, and about the same width too. Only it appears less so because the GLA has larger wheel arches (that don't actually add to the cabin space itself), and is shorter in height compared to the X1 too (by about 2 inches).

Reliability is much less of an issue for a brand new car, and even then BMW still comes out above Mercedes and Infiniti in most consumer report reliability tests, notably one's from 2014 and 2015. Also, the changing warranty wouldn't affect you if you bought one in 2016.

CR-Cars-II-Brand-Comparison-Chart-10-15.jpg

2014-CR-Reliablity-Release-2-3.jpg

My advice to you would simply be to go and test drive each of these vehicles before making your mind up, so you get a proper real world understanding of how they are. Perhaps take your wife or family along too, so they can sit in the rear seats and offer impressions on comfort, space etc.

^ Yeah, though tbh we don't have much mechanics here so we'll see what we can do lol.

Allow me to save you some shoe leather and blood pressure.

Lol I'm very familiar with the scheme tbh, hence why I looked at the website and see that it's pretty real:

https://www.towneastford.com/new-in...ry-listing1-facet-anchor-normalTransmission-2

If you were looking for an automatic car, then I'm sure this scheme would work really well, but #StickShiftFoLyfeYo. The chances of them duping somebody like me is pretty low tbh as anybody looking for a stick shift 'stang would know what they're doing.

That said, I'm not really itching for a 'stang anyway. Dodge Challenger R/T's are finally depreciating, I think in about 6 months you'll be able to find a used SRT under $25K and that would be freakin' awesome lol.

After my 2008 BMW 335 XI I will never purchase another BMW. Fun car, yah, but my god did everything brake constantly. Thousands and thousands of dollars in repairs.. I had bought it new too!

Think of a part or a sensor, OK? Well, you can bet it broke.

nib95

Banned
After my 2008 BMW 335 XI I will never purchase another BMW. Fun car, yah, but my god did everything brake constantly. Thousands and thousands of dollars in repairs.. I had bought it new too!

Yea, the E90 was known to be one of the more unreliable BMW 3 Series releases, notably the 2007 and 2008 models. In-fact a lot of BMW's from those few years (3 series, 5 series etc) are among the most unreliable in BMW's history, as they were fitted with a new type of HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) that had unusually high failure rates.

BMW even acknowledged the issue and increased warranties for that specific part to 10 years or 120k miles.

High Pressure Fuel Pump for Turbo vehicles - BMW 335i, 335xi

BMW Technical Bulletin SI B 13 03 09

Date: April 2009

Subject: BMW emissions warranty of the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HDP) has been extended from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Situation:

BMW has become aware of a potential problem that could affect the durability of the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HDP) of certain MY 2007/2008 BMW automobiles equipped with N54 engines. It is estimated that only a small percentage of vehicles will actually develop a problem. Vehicles affected may have the Service Engine Soon lamp illuminated with various low fuel pressure-related faults (e.g., 29DC, 29F1, 29F2 ) stored in the Engine Control Module (DME). Also, the affected vehicles may experience long cranking times or reduced engine performance (engine in failsafe mode) when the HDP malfunctions.
Correction:

In the event that the High Pressure Fuel Pump of an MY 2007/2008 3 Series vehicle (335i/xi Sedan/Coupe/Convertible), MY 2007/2008 5 Series vehicle (535i/xi Sedan/Sports Wagon), or MY 2008 1 Series vehicle (135is Coupe/Convertible) with the N54 engine exhibits the symptoms listed above, it should be replaced with the improved part (P/N 13 51 7 592 881). For HDP diagnostic and replacing instructions, refer to SI B12 55 06 and RA 13 51 017, found in BMW TIS.

The BMW F30 is comparatively faring considerably better reliability wise, in-fact, it's been voted most reliable lease car two years in a row, according to surveys of more than 650,000 cars in the FN50. In the last few years BMW has been on the up in a notable way, in terms of Consumer Reports reliability ratings, going from 19th place in 2012 to 11th in 2015. Evidently their newer cars are writing many wrongs.

Chiester

Holy shit what a day! Drove to Houston last night so I could pick up my gts-t at the port of Galveston this morning. Surprisingly the part that took the longest wasn't going to get a form stamped at customs or getting the keys to the car. It was actually trying to load it up onto the trailer because its so low.

cmxobc5.jpg

xvtcVik.jpg

AGiGwHC.jpg

There were 4 other skylines there. One of which is a GTR that you can see in this pic.
rmzqgzY.jpg

Drove it around Galveston for like 7 minutes and the RHD didn't really bother me, but who knows if that will change when I start driving it more.
pbvkFQ1.jpg

Fa6D3b7.jpg

Finally home! (sorry that the garage looks like shit)
Can't wait to get plates so I can finally see what its like above 3.5k rpm. The car got a lot of attention on the back of the trailer more so than when we had the celica on there. It was actually kinda funny seeing people taking pics of it while driving right beside us.

Stinkles

Holy shit what a day! Drove to Houston last night so I could pick up my gts-t at the port of Galveston this morning. Surprisingly the part that took the longest wasn't going to get a form stamped at customs or getting the keys to the car. It was actually trying to load it up onto the trailer because its so low.

Niiiice

matmanx1

Oh man, so many posts missed yesterday. Crazy day at work and then a night out means I didn't even open up Gaf one time, which is very rare. Hopefully no one minds me replying to several things at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-COBUIBY16U&t=52s

-----------

Parts are on the way. Power steering return hose, water pump and pulley, thermostat, O-Ring for suspected DISA vacuum leak fix and a steering coupler. I've had a check engine light on so long that I forgot about the thermal oil level sensor code and didn't order one before my last oil change.

I pulled codes this morning before I placed the order:
- thermal oil level sensor
- mapped thermostat cooling - mechanical
- misfire cyl 2
- mf cyl 4
- mf on several cylinders
- mixture prep bank 1
- mixture prep bank 2
- mf cyl 5
- mf cyl 3
- mf cyl 6

All those mixture and misfire codes could be cleared by a $13 O-Ring. Exciting stuff.

I miss my old engine and accessories :(

Made appointment to get my driver-side air bag replaced at the dealer (TAKATA) and an appointment to get the front left suspension popping diagnosed. Still haven't been able to figure it out. Didn't have any play in the tie-rods so i'm thinking more along the lines of control arm ball joint. Only the bushings were replaced previously by the PO.

You sir, are far more of a man that I am. I feel like half of my frustration with my current 128i is the fact that I am not currently much of a wrencher. I would like to be but I don't currently have a good place to do it or much in the way of hands on experience. Even now my ride is at my local (and I say local - it's almost an hour from my house) shop getting the thermostat replaced. I'll have a nice $400 repair bill later.

It's so much better if you have the know how and can do it yourself, isnt it?

So a local dealership has the new V6 Mustang for $22k, and an base model Ecobosst for $23k.

I'm fncking tempted right now lol.

It really is a shit show.

I spent a couple of weeks last year working in downtown Dallas and rush hour was such a fncking nightmare. I ended up parking my car at my friend's apartment in Bishop Arts then took an Uber to the nearest DART station then used that to get in the office lol. I'm glad my boss was awesome enough to comp my travel costs that week coz that was some BS.

Back when I used to work at a MLB stadium, they shut the roads for the valet service and emergency traffic, not for pedestrians lol. But they always had alternate routes and the traffic actually was never bad except for when before the game starts and ends.

What they're doing up there sounds dumb.

I think it would be quite a shock to the system to go from a car the size and weight of a Miata to a new Mustang. I want to like them so much but they are so big and heavy. I really don't understand Ford's philosophy on the new Mustangs but I have yet to drive one so maybe a test drive would improve my thinking about them. I do know one thing, despite being a far larger and heavier car the new Mustang has less usable space than my comparatively tiny 128i.

I feel your pain, brother. Go back and read some of my recent posts about my current car (2009 128i). Unless things improve with it this year then it most likely will not be living at my house come 2017.

Question from someone who doesn't know anything about cars:

What should I go for between a Passat, Jetta, or Golf? What are the GTI, GSI, and other designations? I'm looking for something around the same size as a Mazda 3, but can go a tad smaller if it means better quality or saving a good chunk of change.

Also, are VW dealers at a higher incentive to sell post-scandal? I'm planning to lease and use the car for a short commute to work.

Anion

Idk about the GLA, but there are rumors of the next CLA midcycle refresh for 2017 with bumper/light changes to make it more in line with the other Mercs. I assume the GLA will refresh with that.

But in all honesty, go for the 2015 GLA 45 used with 1-5k miles. Should be able to find it around the $50k mark. Make sure you get the command and premium packages. (Oh and that pano roof is sick). The reason is cause the 2016 GLA has a few more HP/TQ with different gear ratios, so a few people on the forums have traded in to get the newer GLA 45

Congrats! Who did you end up importing through? I've seen a few around town so far.

That explains why I saw a Skyline on a trailer yesterday lol. Pretty sure it's not yours since the wheels aren't the same but it kinda made my day yesterday so it was awesome.

Consider me jelly!

I'd love to import one myself but I haven't found a reputable shop who can work on Skylines here in Dallas.

I think it would be quite a shock to the system to go from a car the size and weight of a Miata to a new Mustang. I want to like them so much but they are so big and heavy. I really don't understand Ford's philosophy on the new Mustangs but I have yet to drive one so maybe a test drive would improve my thinking about them. I do know one thing, despite being a far larger and heavier car the new Mustang has less usable space than my comparatively tiny 128i.

That's interesting to know about the space.

But in terms of weight and size, they're certainly not the same but eh. As long as it can corner well I'm fine with it.

I was actually gonna go on a test drive today but it's too fncking cold outside and it's supposed to rain/snow/whatever later in the afternoon so I think I'm gonna pass lol.

matmanx1

Question from someone who doesn't know anything about cars:

What should I go for between a Passat, Jetta, or Golf? What are the GTI, GSI, and other designations? I'm looking for something around the same size as a Mazda 3, but can go a tad smaller if it means better quality or saving a good chunk of change.

Also, are VW dealers at a higher incentive to sell post-scandal? I'm planning to lease and use the car for a short commute to work.

My preference would be the Golf. The new 1.8 turbo Golf gets excellent mileage, is surprisingly quick and agile and is one of the easiest shifting manual transmission cars that I have ever tried. I like the size and the hatchback design (the Jetta and Passat can both be had as a wagon but are otherwise a sedan and they are both larger than the Golf). GTI is the sports car version of the Golf. Same body but different mechanical bits. For a commuter car the base Golf has more than enough power, it would just be up to you to spec the options you want on it.

I came *this* close to buying a launch edition Golf in white this past year on the same day that I bought my used BMW 128i. I was sufficiently impressed with my test drive to seriously consider it but the launch edition cars did not have cruise control and that was one of my must haves.

At any rate, good luck!

Drove the current model for about 2 years. It's really fun to drive, liked that there were little differences to normal Golfs in the GTI, like having the honeycomb pattern on the dashboard, as a background on the screen, the golf-ball like gear knob, etc.

You definitely should spend your moned on the DCC. Without sports mode the sound of the engine is disappointing and it's the standard drivemode is more focussed on comfort, and invest in the performance package for the slip differential (and the look of the red brakes with GTI logo).

MPG was about 31.

What I didn't like is how high you seat, even with the seat completely set to the bottom. I like to sit as low as possible on a sporty car.

But here in germany my GTI cost as much as my current car, a Mustang GT, which is totally more fun to drive and looking not just another Golf with a bodykit - But in my area VW is the biggest employer so 90% of the cars on the streets are Audis and VWs

I am getting a new Mercedes (and since a few months VW and Audis) every year through my employer. At the moment i have an A180, drives very nice and sporty but its a very unpractical car,
You cant see shit. Trunk is small too.

My other options would be an A3 (1.4TSFI, 125hp) or a Golf GTI Performance. The A3 i think looks better and has a nicer interior but i think i should have way more fun in a GTI.

Its very good to know that one can actually drive the GTI with around 7-8 l/100km.

Btw if i could i would pick a Mustang too.

I don't have a MK7 but the only con I can think of is maintenance cost if you aren't doing it yourself. It can be pretty high, in my opinion, for a <$30K car once parts start to go. At 62k miles the thermostat on my MKV is about to go. Because of the engine design you have to move the motor so it's $500+ in labor to replace a $30 part. This seems like a common issue also on newer versions. The DSG transmission is great but the 30-40k maintenance fee is like $800 at the dealer. Synthetic oil and premium gas also.

Every car has different strengths but I love my GTI. A WRX is the only other thing I would compare and the GTI is more refined, comfortable, and efficient while the Subaru seems more fun.

Maintance costs are no problem because i dont need to pay for it.
I would also go for the DSG. Good to know its good.

Quick

Banned

I never thought I wanted a Skyline until recently, when I saw a video of a Skyline getting crushed because it's apparently not road legal either in certain states or in the US in general (doesn't seem to be the case if you were able to import and get plates).

Friend of mine has a black Skyline, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

ascii42

Well, I did it. In 6 to 8 weeks I'll have a Cadillac ATS.

Premium Trim
2L Turbo 6MT
Dark Adriatic Blue Metallic exterior
Kona Brown with Jet Black Accents interior

Stinkles

Well, I did it. In 6 to 8 weeks I'll have a Cadillac ATS.

Premium Trim
2L Turbo 6MT
Dark Adriatic Blue Metallic exterior
Kona Brown with Jet Black Accents interior

Nice. Every have rented one, I've loved it. And that color scheme is my favorite, period, on any car.

ameratsu

I never thought I wanted a Skyline until recently, when I saw a video of a Skyline getting crushed because it's apparently not road legal either in certain states or in the US in general (doesn't seem to be the case if you were able to import and get plates).

That poster's GTS-T is most likely 25 years old by manufacture date so it's legal to import. Basically, anything manufactured in or before December 1990 is currently legal to import. Same idea for Canada, but shave off 10 years.

Chiester

man this is awesome, I debating if I want to save up for a R32 GT-R now that they are legal in the US.

Congrats! Who did you end up importing through? I've seen a few around town so far.

That explains why I saw a Skyline on a trailer yesterday lol. Pretty sure it's not yours since the wheels aren't the same but it kinda made my day yesterday so it was awesome.

Consider me jelly!

I'd love to import one myself but I haven't found a reputable shop who can work on Skylines here in Dallas.
Thanks guys! I used PacificCoastJDM. I was gonna use Rivsu but I wanted to save a bit of money and wanted to experience doing all the work to get it legal. I'll see if I start to regret the headaches that may come with it though when its time to get plates for it.

Yeah that wasn't me since I live in SA, but that's cool that you saw one. From what I've seen there seems to be a lot in Texas. I know of at least 7 here in SA.

As long as it's 25 years old to the month It's fine, so right now only R32s made in January of 1991 are newest you can get.

matmanx1

After I picked up my car from the shop today for the thermostat replacement I drove it home and immediately washed it. We had a rare sunny day in the low 50's here in North Georgia (it's either been rainy or really cold or both since January started) so I took advantage of it.

JQ4oXfS.jpg

One thing I will say for my BMW is that the paint still looks great when the car is clean and that the fit, finish and build quality is very good. Please excuse the iPad picture but with the afternoon sunlight I thought it looked rather nice.

ruxtpin

Banned
Moving from south Atlanta to right outside Philly. Hoping I run into the gang from Always Sunny ... But on a more realistic note I'm thinking about trading in my 2014 GLI for something with AWD. Does anyone here have a 15/16 STI? Or anyone have thoughts after driving one?

I like the look of the Limited model, as it drops the giant wing. I'm not one to spend time doing a bunch of aftermarket stuff, at least that's not the plan.

Yeah that wasn't me since I live in SA, but that's cool that you saw one. From what I've seen there seems to be a lot in Texas. I know of at least 7 here in SA.

Oh yeah there's a lot of Skylines here in Texas, I've seen a couple here at DFW during C&C but for the most part they keep them hidden for some reason.

Let us know with your experience of importing a car here in Texas. I still dream of owning a RX-7 Spirit R Type A, sadly that's about 8 years away so maybe I'll settle for any FD RX-7 within a few years unless I find one locally lol.

Please excuse the iPad picture but with the afternoon sunlight I thought it looked rather nice.

That's from an iPad?

Wtf.

Thanks guys! I used PacificCoastJDM. I was gonna use Rivsu but I wanted to save a bit of money and wanted to experience doing all the work to get it legal. I'll see if I start to regret the headaches that may come with it though when its time to get plates for it.

Enjoy it! My friend is looking to getting one in a year or two, too.

Got a chance to see this beauty the other day.

Ferrari F12 Berlinetta by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Ferrari F12 Berlinetta by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Ferrari F12 Interior by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Ferrari F12 &amp; 458 by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Chiester

Oh yeah there's a lot of Skylines here in Texas, I've seen a couple here at DFW during C&C but for the most part they keep them hidden for some reason.

Let us know with your experience of importing a car here in Texas. I still dream of owning a RX-7 Spirit R Type A, sadly that's about 8 years away so maybe I'll settle for any FD RX-7 within a few years unless I find one locally lol.
I'll post again when I get the temporary plates on it. Got school this week from Tuesday to Friday, so hopefully i can find time to do it by next weekend.

Enjoy it! My friend is looking to getting one in a year or two, too.
Oh I will!

ameratsu

So I have been looking at fr-s/br-z prices over the past little while and only in the past few months have fr-ses especially dipped well below the 20k mark. There's a bunch for sale in Alberta currently so I've been tempted to go have a look at a few.

I guess the massive slump in oil prices means there isn't that much demand for these cars due to Alberta's economy heavy reliance on high oil prices. I'm just afraid the engine is going to feel lethargic and come away unimpressed.

matmanx1

Ha ha you live in North Georgia.

Well, I grew up in Alabama so this is somewhat of an upgrade, I think. It's quiet, it's rural and it's only about an hour to the North Atlanta perimeter which includes lots of good shopping and car dealerships.

So I have been looking at fr-s/br-z prices over the past little while and only in the past few months have fr-ses especially dipped well below the 20k mark. There's a bunch for sale in Alberta currently so I've been tempted to go have a look at a few.

I guess the massive slump in oil prices means there isn't that much demand for these cars due to Alberta's economy heavy reliance on high oil prices. I'm just afraid the engine is going to feel lethargic and come away unimpressed.

You know what to do. Test drive! It sounds like you aren't in the market for a new one but I did notice on the Subaru website that they are doing 0% financing right now on new BRZ's for well qualified customers. Deals don't get much sweeter than that, right?

Awesome congratulations :)

rokkerkory

Seriously, I absolutely love Mazda. Ever since I bought a 2009 Speed3 a few years back I've managed to convert nearly my entire immediate family into Mazda lovers. My mom drives a CX-5 and my dad is seriously considering buying an MX-5. I'm just waiting out for a new Speed3 before I upgrade.

CX-5 getting refeshed in late 2016 though! Wait if u can!

Quick

Banned
Do you guys have any suggestions on cheap-but-good (preferably between the $150-300 range) car stereo head units? Preferably something that runs on Android, as it seems to be pretty customizable, OS-wise.

I saw this on Reddit, but the eBay store doesn't ship to Canada at all.

I've been thinking about getting a Nexus 7 and mounting it with a CD player mount as an alternative. But I figured that if I'm getting a tablet, I might as well explore full-on unit options.

Laekon

you LA folks are nuts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBg9vmKbz0

"STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!1"

As a cyclist this is called the Rock Store climb. I don't understand the popularity as it's a shit show every weekend. Cops get a ton business and yet more people keep coming. Besides the idiots driving and riding, fights can break out in the parking lot for no reason. Nothing like a TV exec and a plastic surgeon trying to act tough. It's its own business though with sites like this http://rockstorephotos.com selling photos.

The crash I'm most familiar with as a cyclist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18

So does this commercial from Liberty Mutual bother anyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpyCSMlYHDU

An Idiot on TV said:
You do all this research on the perfect car: gas mileage, horsepower, torque ratios?

What? What?! What are you even talking about? That's not a thing! I suddenly understand why IT folks hate technobabble in cop shows so much, it's like they made this term up just to bother people who get cars.

You thought you were a Porsche fanatic? This guy built a $500k house designed around his 911!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/b/d7455f3f-9b95-4fa6-b302-8a4e15ab5912

Oh god this man must be totally insufferable. That said, it's a beautiful layout for lighting and design. But you have to deal with that guy's cum stains from him jerking off to his car all over the place.

ascii42

So does this commercial from Liberty Mutual bother anyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpyCSMlYHDU

What? What?! What are you even talking about? That's not a thing! I suddenly understand why IT folks hate technobabble in cop shows so much, it's like they made this term up just to bother people who get cars.
I think until now, my brain was just replacing what she said with something that actually made sense. Now that's going bother me every time I see the commercial. I'm going to go make a GUI interface in Visual Basic to catch the people that did this.

Stinkles

You could look at the Lexus NX since you want reliability

http://www.lexus.com/models/NX

Totally on my list to try this year. HOWEVER it's one of those cars - like a PT Cruiser that ABSOLUTELY attracts stereotypical drivers. I'd be the only dude driving one in th Seattle area, and one of the few non blondes.

However I also kinda don't care about that if the car blows me away. I'm just really into Infiniti design language and engines. Makes me wish Mazda had a premium brand.

Top Bottom