• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Everytime I used launch control on my M235i it never worked properly and yes I followed the rights steps, same with my friends M4. Flooring the car had better results, I even beat a GLA45 in a drag race by just flooring it meanwhile with launch I couldn't overtake him.

1. Drive car 6 miles
2. Warm day with warm tires
3. Put car in Sport+
4. D.SC. Off
5. Put car in S3 transmission setting
6. Foot on brake and other on gas and go.

It works. If it doesn't for you, you must have done it wrong.

The first one is very important and many people seem to forget.

I've launched my car successfully a few times on warm days. If the tires aren't sticky though you'll be doing a long burnout.

One last thing. It's also important to be on flat ground. Launch on a gradient messes with the computer.

SliChillax

1. Drive car 6 miles
2. Warm day with warm tires
3. Put car in Sport+
4. D.SC. Off
5. Put car in S3 transmission setting
6. Foot on brake and other on gas and go.

It works. If it doesn't for you, you must have done it wrong.

The first one is very important and many people seem to forget.

I've launched my car successfully a few times on warm days. If the tires aren't sticky though you'll be doing a long burnout.

One last thing. It's also important to be on flat ground. Launch on a gradient messes with the computer.

DSC off gives me wheel spin and the M235i doesn't have transmission settings. One time I actually got it to display launch control active and the car simply didn't take off, it was very slow as if I wasn't giving it any gas.

Just hoping that like with the X5, it diminishes that sub 1250-1500rpm momentary turbo/transmission lag you sometimes feel when flooring it from a complete standstill or very low speed. Do you ever get that with your M235i at all?

Not at all or at least I don't feel it.

TylerD

Pretty sure I found the culprit for my front left suspension clunk. Sway bar end link is shot. Just got the new ones and new sway bar bushings in the mail to swap out over the weekend.

QiOMso9.jpg

also vacuum leak, upper intake boot after the MAF trying to split in half lol. I feel bad for my poor engine breathing dust and shit for the last week. Pretty sure it has never been replaced and I received the new one yesterday. I had ordered one before I saw the split to replace it anyway. Good call on my part. My short term fuel trims on bank 1 and 2 were hitting +28%

yf7AGOQ.jpg

Will also be replacing the thermostat and water pump + pulley.

matmanx1

Pretty sure I found the culprit for my front left suspension clunk. Sway bar end link is shot. Just got the new ones and new sway bar bushings in the mail to swap out over the weekend.

QiOMso9.jpg

also vacuum leak, upper intake boot after the MAF trying to split in half lol. I feel bad for my poor engine breathing dust and shit for the last week. Pretty sure it has never been replaced and I received the new one yesterday. I had ordered one before I saw the split to replace it anyway. Good call on my part. My short term fuel trims on bank 1 and 2 were hitting +28%

yf7AGOQ.jpg

Will also be replacing the thermostat and water pump + pulley.

Sounds like you have your hands full! I'm pretty sure that if I decide to keep my 128i long term I am going to have to do something similar. The front suspension is pretty much the same as the 3 series E9x cars and those were known for wearing out certain components prematurely. Even now I have a slight clunk sound when I go over a steep speed bump.

TylerD

Sounds like you have your hands full! I'm pretty sure that if I decide to keep my 128i long term I am going to have to do something similar. The front suspension is pretty much the same as the 3 series E9x cars and those were known for wearing out certain components prematurely. Even now I have a slight clunk sound when I go over a steep speed bump.

Nah, not too bad yet! What year is your's again? Mine will be 11 in July (2006 model year with 2005 build date) with 89k miles on it right now. I had a little clunk in the rear that was a missing bolt from the rear sway bar in 2013. You could just have something a little loose or a missing bolt.

Evo X

Wow I can't believe how nice that motor sounds for what it is.

Damn, you're right. That sounds really good. Seems to be a huge improvement over the current Evora as well in terms of driving feel, excitement, and quality too. Would love to take one out and see how it compares to the GT4.

Not feeling the spoiler and front bumper, the normal R version looks much nicer. Also, AWD only = meh

I like the more aggressive front end, and think the new fixed spoiler looks far better than the ugly flap that comes up at an angle on the current car. AWD is also pretty much a necessity in this car. I couldn't keep the back end in line on the RWD version no matter how hard I tried.

I found this dreadlocks guy under a bridge in LA. I think he owns a couple of old Porsches.

Awesome! Was this an event or did you just randomly run into him?

Hi, CarGAF! I don't know if it's already been covered, so I apologize if it has, but I just got a "new" (used by the dealer as a loaner) X3 with around 7,500 miles on it already, and I wonder if I should change do an oil change. BMW suggests 15,000 miles between oil changes, but that just seems really, really high to me. A while back, I had a car that suggested 10k between changes, and after following that, my transmission sludged up after 88k, so I'm super paranoid about this. Then, on top of that, I have no idea how my car was driven during its break-in period (I suspect not all that well).

What do you guys think? Should I just pay to do an oil change?

Hi, CarGAF! I don't know if it's already been covered, so I apologize if it has, but I just got a "new" (used by the dealer as a loaner) X3 with around 7,500 miles on it already, and I wonder if I should change do an oil change. BMW suggests 15,000 miles between oil changes, but that just seems really, really high to me. A while back, I had a car that suggested 10k between changes, and after following that, my transmission sludged up after 88k, so I'm super paranoid about this. Then, on top of that, I have no idea how my car was driven during its break-in period (I suspect not all that well).

Engine oil changes have nothing to do with your transmission sludging up. Some cars have a separate recommendation for transmission fluid changes, did you ever follow that on your old car? (Even for when the OEM says "lifetime", 60k or so is usually suggested.)

As far as your engine oil changes, I would say do it based on your usage. If you have lots of shorter trips, in-city driving with stop go traffic or for driving a lot in cold weather, move to a 10k interval. Otherwise stick to the recommended interval.

Won't really hurt to do one at 7.5k considering it is a loaner car, just for your peace of mind.

FStop7

Banned
Awesome! Was this an event or did you just randomly run into him?

Magnus called out for people to join him for a meet to say farewell to the 6th street bridge. He was super friendly and took so much time for photos and handshakes. Amazingly cool guy.

Engine oil changes have nothing to do with your transmission sludging up. Some cars have a separate recommendation for transmission fluid changes, did you ever follow that on your old car? (Even for when the OEM says "lifetime", 60k or so is usually suggested.)

As far as your engine oil changes, I would say do it based on your usage. If you have lots of shorter trips, in-city driving with stop go traffic or for driving a lot in cold weather, move to a 10k interval. Otherwise stick to the recommended interval.

Won't really hurt to do one at 7.5k considering it is a loaner car, just for your peace of mind.
Thanks. I'm definitely leaning toward just doing one now because of that, and then I guess I'll try out the 15k interval.

With that other car, I did follow the recommendations on transmission fluid, but it was a Daimler-Chrysler era C230 Kompressor, so I think it was destined to live fast and die young (engine valve burnt out at 55k, too).

DSC off gives me wheel spin and the M235i doesn't have transmission settings. One time I actually got it to display launch control active and the car simply didn't take off, it was very slow as if I wasn't giving it any gas.

Not at all or at least I don't feel it.

So you only got it to display launch control active once?

Do you know the procedures necessary for that to happen in the M235i?

SliChillax

So you only got it to display launch control active once?

Do you know the procedures necessary for that to happen in the M235i?

Foot on the brake, steering wheel straight, press the traction control button once to put the traction control on medium not off, put the gear lever into sport (slide it left), accelerate and count to three then release the brakes. I've done this but it has not always worked, sometimes I got too much wheel spin, sometimes I took off really slowly. Like other people have mentioned I think you also have to drive 6 miles before you launch it but I don't remember if I've done enough miles before the launch. Most reliable way to launch is to just mash the pedal to the floor on Sport plus.

Edit: Many BMW's like the M5, M4 etc achieve their best 0 to 60 without launch control.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Do NOT follow BMW's service intervals. They were created because those are the intervals at which BMW's warranty will cover the maintenance. 15K is a crazy long amount of time. Change your oil every 5K miles.

As far as your transmission fluid, BMW will tell you it is a non-serviceable "sealed" transmission. Bullshit. Don't listen to them. They'd rather the trans fail so you can have them work on it and get you a new one. ZF (the manufacturer) recommends a transmission fluid service every 30-40K miles on their units. So do a transmission service at around 35K. As far as how it's serviced: the drain plug also acts as the filler. They will have to drain the fluid out, and then through the plug pump fluid back in.

matmanx1

Nah, not too bad yet! What year is your's again? Mine will be 11 in July (2006 model year with 2005 build date) with 89k miles on it right now. I had a little clunk in the rear that was a missing bolt from the rear sway bar in 2013. You could just have something a little loose or a missing bolt.

2009 with a September 2008 build date. I can't tell any difference in the way the car steers or drives so I'm not worried about it at this point. Next oil change I will have the shop mechanic take a look and see if they can see anything.

My independent shop recommends 7,500 miles on the BMW's. The oil is probably fine but after a while the filter looses some of its ability to filter properly, especially in dusty conditions. Hopefully you have a good independent shop that you can trust for your oil changes; mine charges $50 for 4 cyl, $60 for 6 cyl and $70 for 8cyl full synthetic oil and filter changes and they use only BMW OEM stuff.

As far as your transmission fluid, BMW will tell you it is a non-serviceable "sealed" transmission. Bullshit. Don't listen to them. They'd rather the trans fail so you can have them work on it and get you a new one. ZF (the manufacturer) recommends a transmission fluid service every 30-40K miles on their units. So do a transmission service at around 35K. As far as how it's serviced: the drain plug also acts as the filler. They will have to drain the fluid out, and then through the plug pump fluid back in.

What do they do for that, toss the old transmission drain plug then install a new one with a valved port?

Laws00

I bought my first car yesterday finally

A white 2016 Honda Civic EX

I'm happy with it.

I did the responsible thing now comes the part that after buying the car....whats my next car going to be after this. lol

I plan to keep this car for 10 years or till it dies

I'm happy with it.

I did the responsible thing now comes the part that after buying the car....whats my next car going to be after this. lol

Post pics

matmanx1

I'm happy with it.

Nice! Good luck with it. I always say things like "I'm going to keep this one "X" years and drive it til it dies" but I haven't had much success following through on it. Maybe you will do better.

Sorry, just one pic as of now

You tease! j/k. Looks tough.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What do they do for that, toss the old transmission drain plug then install a new one with a valved port?

No no. I should've been more clear. It's just a regular drain plug they unscrew, let the fluid out, and then pump new fluid back in, and screw the plug back in. What makes the job a little difficult is that the drain plug isn't on the bottom of the trans. It's usually on the side, half-way up or in SOME cases on the top corner, which requires a full pump out and in.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Lovely, the RS honeycomb grill is my favorite. I considered putting that one on my S5 but I don't want to make the car look like something it's not even though the fog lights would instantly give it away.

Yea, dat honeycomb grill is sick, I was thinking of getting the blackout one, but the silver meshes really well with the black. I might powercoat my wheels though.

Beautiful, enjoy it!

I will!

You tease! j/k. Looks tough.

I'll get more tomorrow whne I'm at work since I can get better angles in my lot then in my garage at my apartment.

No no. I should've been more clear. It's just a regular drain plug they unscrew, let the fluid out, and then pump new fluid back in, and screw the plug back in. What makes the job a little difficult is that the drain plug isn't on the bottom of the trans. It's usually on the side, half-way up or in SOME cases on the top corner, which requires a full pump out and in.

Why

What was so horrible about having a drain plug and a fill plug that they had to complicate it like that?

Making things more difficult to maintain adds value at the dealership!

Azzurri

Gold Member
Congrats! I really like the RS5 when I had a test drive of it a while back. What's the mileage on yours?
And more pics kthx

11.9k, it was owned by foreign exchange student from China I believe, his parents just wired him the money to buy it. All he did was drive it around Purdue University

SliChillax

Lovely, the RS honeycomb grill is my favorite. I considered putting that one on my S5 but I don't want to make the car look like something it's not even though the fog lights would instantly give it away.

Fog lights, different bumper design, huge fender flares, different rear bumper, exhaust lol. The grille is not the only thing different about the RS5.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sorry, just one pic as of now

I saw one of these racing a Bentley the other day and realized that it outclassed the Bentley in every objective measure including arguably cockpit if you included price.

Edit. (RS7 I should clarify, versus Flying Spur)

Anion

11.9k, it was owned by foreign exchange student from China I believe, his parents just wired him the money to buy it. All he did was drive it around Purdue University

Lmao, I should ask the foreign student for his cabriolet haha

Great car, love it

I'm happy with it.

I haven't seen the 2016 model on the streets here yet. Definitely post pics when you get a chance.

Azzurri

Gold Member
I saw one of these racing a Bentley the other day and realized that it outclassed the Bentley in every objective measure including arguably cockpit if you included price.

Edit. (RS7 I should clarify, versus Flying Spur)

Yea, I love the look of the 7's, when I'm done with my RS5 and can afford one I think that's my next car, but that's a BIG if, lol.

Lmao, I should ask the foreign student for his cabriolet haha

Great car, love it
Lol, it's crazy, even here in Columbus if you go down to Ohio State campus all the nicest cars are owned by Chinese kids or kids from the UAE.

burgerdog

Fog lights, different bumper design, huge fender flares, different rear bumper, exhaust lol. The grille is not the only thing different about the RS5.

I know that, but the grill is the most recognizable feature of the RS models! If you spot that, you look at the other things on the list to see if it's a real RS, lol

Azzurri
RS7 performance - DO IT.

Do NOT follow BMW's service intervals. They were created because those are the intervals at which BMW's warranty will cover the maintenance. 15K is a crazy long amount of time. Change your oil every 5K miles.

2009 with a September 2008 build date. I can't tell any difference in the way the car steers or drives so I'm not worried about it at this point. Next oil change I will have the shop mechanic take a look and see if they can see anything.

My independent shop recommends 7,500 miles on the BMW's. The oil is probably fine but after a while the filter looses some of its ability to filter properly, especially in dusty conditions. Hopefully you have a good independent shop that you can trust for your oil changes; mine charges $50 for 4 cyl, $60 for 6 cyl and $70 for 8cyl full synthetic oil and filter changes and they use only BMW OEM stuff.
Thanks, as well. So it definitely does sound like the consensus is at least that 15k is outrageous. My cousin is a mechanic and says the same thing, as well, so it's looking like 5k is a solid target for me.

I'm happy with it.

Congrats! I actually just sold my '08 Accord Coupe, which had 142k miles on it and still ran like new. I'm sure your Civic will have no trouble making it 10+ years.

Hell, I still see Integras around once in a while, and those have to be hovering around 20 now.

Also, here's a pic:
dc67a0ef-ad79-4633-8b72-d4e0c05396f1.jpg

FStop7

Banned
He's also an asshole and can't drive

makes sense he would be under a bridge in LA

Why is he an asshole? He was nothing but nice when I saw him. Seriously, there were 500 people there all wanting to meet him and he took the time to take photos with everyone who asked. As far as driving goes, I'm pretty sure he's been a trackday instructor w/ the Porsche Owner's Club since before he became well known. Is there some backstory with him? I'd be interested to hear it.

SliChillax

Why is he an asshole? He was nothing but nice when I saw him. Seriously, there were 500 people there all wanting to meet him and he took the time to take photos with everyone who asked. As far as driving goes, I'm pretty sure he's been a trackday instructor w/ the Porsche Owner's Club since before he became well known. Is there some backstory with him? I'd be interested to hear it.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/he...-douchebag-and-racing-a-civic-on-the-highway/

Probably talking about this. Also to be honest, his "custom" Porsches with random colors splashed on different body panels are just ugly imo.

TylerD

Who is he? Honest question.

I guessed Rob Zombie from the pics then searched "Rob Zombie Porsche" and Magnus Walker popped up. Looks like an interesting guy.

---
Eventful weekend in auto repair: water pump and pulley, thermostat, sway bar end links, hydraulic tensioner pulley, oil filter housing gasket, upper intake boot and F connector, steering coupler (guibo).

Car idles super smooth and runs like a top, the suspension pop is gone, and the steering feels really great after the new coupler. The old one didn't seem all that worn but I had a clicking and a bit of play in the steering wheel. Feels super nice now. Satisfaction +1000

Here's the bone pile.

gvCET67.jpg

Top Bottom