• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Runs at 30fps on Xbox Series X and S, Obsidian Confirms

MikeM

Gold Member
It’s the Starfield nonsense all over again. This is just the same kind of BS as “30fps is a creative decision”. I’d almost be willing to bet that, just like Starfield, a few months after launch they will magically find the resources or ability to add a 60fps mode toggle.
Not sure what engine its using but its probably super single threaded. Only time will tell.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It could be a good idea. I’m kinda over PC gaming so if ms can release a powerful $1000 box i will go with that.

Hopefully they are behind the scenes working with Valve so that Steam OS runs right out of the box seamlessly. Microsoft Store and Steam is all they need. Support for GOG and Epic can come later.

Nydius

I feel like we see this a lot now. 30fps now and it’ll be patched later with a 60fps option. I’m not too worried about it

Which, honestly, I’m perfectly fine with. But they need to stop with ridiculous spin like this. Just be honest and say: It’s launching at 30fps because we want to get the game out to players and we have plans to add a 60fps mode at a later date.

They’d still get raked over the coals but people would be far less harsh than they are after devs say dumb things like you don’t need 60fps in a single player first person game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Funny thing is MY 3700x/1080ti OC PC isnt much better than a XSX and i will be able to run the game at 60fps.
The difference is i'll be playing at 1080p. I dont know why devs on console always think console gamers prefer higher resolution over framerate.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Judging by the game's looks you'll assume this should have no problem running at 60 frames on modern consoles, or at least the Series X.

Which engine is the game using?

Bojji

thats because immortals was targeting 60 fps with no 30 fps mode because the director/studio head was a 60 fps nutjob who mandated 60 fps on the team from the start. Had they targeted 30 fps, it wouldve looked like avowed at worst and wukong at best.

so basically if you want 60 fps you should expect avowed to look like shit like immortals did.

im all for 40 fps modes, its a fuck up, but 60 fps on consoles has too many sacrifices. You and I both know its not just the GPU at that point, but also a CPU bottleneck and recently from the DF interview with Ninja Theory we found out that nanite has a memory bottleneck on consoles too. We have no open world UE5 game running at 60 fps on consoles. Robocop is linear. black myth needs framegen to convert 40 to 60 fps. Remnant 2 didnt use Lumen, only nanite. And Lords of the Fallen is straight up broken in its 60 fps mode on consoles almost never hitting 60 fps despite turning down a whole slew of settings and resolution that completely rob the game of its look. Avowed is technically the first open world game and its an RPG with different systems that hit cpu and memory differently compared to action adventure open world games like horizon FW and Spiderman 2. Both of which might look better in youtube comparisons but i promise you Avowed will have its own strengths thanks to the lumen and nanite implementation.

Just wait and see it on your screen. You can have GOW running on the other HDMI port and switch band and forth. As good as GOW looks, i can promise you Avowed will be doing several things better. I can already see way better quality assets, light bounce, and sheer density packed in each area.

Immortals of Aveum is just as heavy on PC as other UE5 games, targeting 60fps on consoles isn't the reason why it's not graphical showcase, it also was running in 720p at launch.

Framerate is a choice and I don't get why (in clearly GPU limited games) some devs don't want to give players options, for example Hellblade 2 could run in 60fps on Series X, just in low enough resolution (or series S mode) - why not give players options?

If Avowed is CPU limited in some places (it could be) this is no reason to lock entire game to 30fps, just like Starfield is 60 in most areas but drops in two bigger "cities". Players can handle this shit (like they did in BG3). With dynamic resolutions in place there is no reason NOT to give players multiple options.

I don't get why you are against it.

Judging by the game's looks you'll assume this should have no problem running at 60 frames on modern consoles, or at least the Series X.

Which engine is the game using?

It's UE5 with lumen, nanite etc. Game is super heavy despite not looking that great.

StereoVsn

It’s the Starfield nonsense all over again. This is just the same kind of BS as “30fps is a creative decision”. I’d almost be willing to bet that, just like Starfield, a few months after launch they will magically find the resources or ability to add a 60fps mode toggle.
Which is why people should really stop buying games at release for the most part until this shit stops.

Well, unless you got GamePass because it doesn’t cost extra to do it a quick run through to see the situation.

StereoVsn

Immortals of Aveum is just as heavy on PC as other UE5 games, targeting 60fps on consoles isn't the reason why it's not graphical showcase, it also was running in 720p at launch.

Framerate is a choice and I don't get why (in clearly GPU limited games) some devs don't want to give players options, for example Hellblade 2 could run in 60fps on Series X, just in low enough resolution (or series S mode) - why not give players options?

If Avowed is CPU limited in some places (it could be) this is no reason to lock entire game to 30fps, just like Starfield is 60 in most areas but drops in two bigger "cities". Players can handle this shit (like they did in BG3). With dynamic resolutions in place there is no reason NOT to give players multiple options.

I don't get why you are against it.

It's UE5 with lumen, nanite etc. Game is super heavy despite not looking that great.
UE5 is just not well suited for current gen consoles without heavy optimization. Devs using it as the new default is plain inefficient.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Last edited:
It's just come off as not being modern dev imo, like 90% of all games this gen, including recent ones have some kind of performance mode/unlocked framerate, you are also making sure your game will benefit when new hardware is available.

If the gameplay is good this game will be amazing regardless of other aspects. If not bo6 mp will fill the void.

An important question for rpg developers that I have never heard is who is the target audience in relation to genre experience? The rpg enthusiasts who want to be wowed by a unique story and good gameplay, casuals for a Skyrim esq experience or a AAA generic safe experience based on recycling the demographics ( gens/alpha aka easier to please due to lack of genre experience).

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This type of game doesn't have to be at a high frame rate as long as it doesn't dip below.

But saying that.... I won't be playing that slide show BS on console ,but at least 60 fps on pc. 🤫

Are we really supposed to believe that within six months of release there won’t be a 60fps patch for this?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Avowed also got a free moon buggy dlc at this point.

To imply that 30fps is "smooth" would be akin to sliding a box on a horizontal plane. The more accurate description that it is visually drag-free as it's meets the bare minimum momentum without going to jittery territory. Calling it smooth is pushing it. It's like saying the pencil smooth like a ballpoint BIC pen when writing.

60FPS is what happens when said box has wheels. You can see the momentum and the visual rush. 120fps is when that box is transformed into a marble ball. The difference is highly noticable especially when visual effects like wind, debris. Not to mention the experience of going from exterior to interior, it's like your eyes are pulling the screen to you.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They are using sklghtly re-written amd rebranded GameBryo that is so outdated it doesn't even support any form of content-streaming. I dread the moment when we see TES6 on this engine.
I saw lots of “content” being streamed about why having lots of loading screens was good in Starfield and how having the planets broken into sections each with their own seed (so lifting off and going into a neighbouring sections may feel jarring/non as contiguous as expected) :D.

Last edited:

octos

Neo Member
My guess is that they certainly wanted 60fps, but the code is just incredibly poorly optimized that they just decided to go for 30 now, and of course giving a bunch of excuses to claim it was an early decision.

Top Bottom