• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Cover Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, so after seeing the video for SR-71's cover of "In Your Eyes", it was just so awesome that I had to make a thread about it. Mitch is the man. The video itself rules too, because I'm sure we've all had something like that happen to us before, but that's for another thread entirely.

Check out the video here.

Anyway, share some of your favorite covers.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Jimi Hendrix's version of Along the Watch Tower

David Bowie's cover of the Pixies' "Cactus"

The Pixies cover of The Jesus and Mary Chain's "Head On"

Apocalypse Hoboken's cover of Prince's "Darling Nikki" (only good Prince cover I've ever heard)

Marilyn Manson's cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkin's "I Put a Spell On You" and The Doors' "Five to One"

Nine Inch Nails' cover of Adam Ant's "Physical"

godhead's cover of The Beatles' Eleanor Rigby (the one off 2000 Years of Human Error, not the old inferior version)

Dilbert

Bob Dylan's cover of "House of the Rising Sun" is about a million times better than the vastly overrated cover by The Animals.

I'm fairly partial to the Jeff Buckley cover of "Hallelujah," though his cover of "Satisfied Mind" might be even better.

Christopher O'Riley's instrumental versions of Radiohead songs are awesome, and "Let Down" is every bit the equal of the original -- haunting, with a strong contrapuntal feel.

Finally, something which isn't quite a "cover," but is damn cool: Erlend Øye sings lyrics (new and covers) over tracks from other people on his new DJ mix album. One of the coolest is his cover of "There Is A Light Which Never Goes Out" by The Smiths, sung over the Silicone Soul Dub remix of Röyskopp's "Poor Leno" -- an interesting contrast between a driving house track and his cool, reserved vocals.

- Basically any Me First And The Gimme Gimmes track
- Thrice's cover of Zeromancer's "Send Me An Angel"
- Foo Fighter's cover of Prince's "Darling Nikki"
- The Vandals cover of Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now"

CaptainABAB said:
Guns n Roses cover of any song

except Sympathy for the Devil

anyway, the obvious answer is Limp Bizkit's cover of The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes".

NOE 1 NOES WUD ITZ LIKE 2 BE TEH SAD MAN!

Error Macro said:
Thrice's cover of Zeromancer's "Send Me An Angel"

It's actually a track by Real Life from the 80s. Zeromancer covered it on Eurotrash, obviously.

Some other random bands covered the song too, since it's been around awhile. It'd be kind of strange if they all knew of Zeromancer heh. Awesome group, though.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
-jinx- said:
Christopher O'Riley's instrumental versions of Radiohead songs are awesome, and "Let Down" is every bit the equal of the original -- haunting, with a strong contrapuntal feel.
I like Brad Mehldau's covers of the radiohead stuff.

I think Johnny Cash's cover of "In My Life" shits on the Beatles original, and his version of Hurt is pretty interesting.

Semjaza Azazel said:
It's actually a track by Real Life from the 80s. Zeromancer covered it on Eurotrash, obviously.

Some other random bands covered the song too, since it's been around awhile. It'd be kind of strange if they all knew of Zeromancer heh. Awesome group, though.

You're right. Damn, I always get that confused.

All I know is that RAD! is a damn fine movie :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss

Them's cover of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (that one kicks ass!)

B00009MGQ4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ALSO:

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World
Ben Harper - Sexual Healing
No Doubt - It's My Life
Save Ferris - Come On Eileen
Urge Overkill - Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon
Sleeper - Atomic
Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die
Fugees - Killing Me Softly
UB40 - Red Red Wine
Lost Weekend said:
Pearl Jam's cover of Yellow Ledbetter
Pearl Jam wrote that song. ;)

nitewulf

i heard it through the grapevine - CCR
i put a spell on you - CCR/Nina Simone
she's not there - santana
painted in black - the tea party
i shot the sheriff - eric clapton
all along the watchtower - jimi hendrix

i didnt know last kiss was a cover? who sang it originally?

nitewulf

one of the worst covers i have ever heard is while shopping in H&M, some trasy trance version of dont you want me. it was disgraceful.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
311's cover of "Love Song" is awesome. It's better than the original. =D

White Man

Sonic Youth rocks the cover songs:

Within You Without You
Nic Fit
Addicted to Love
Into the Groove(y)
I wanna be yr dog
Moist Vagina
Superstar (best cover ever. Ever)

Probably forgetting some, too.

White Man

Woah, according to the Sonic Youth Information Database, they allegedly recorded I Know There's an Answer (sort of aka Hang On to your Ego) by the Beach Boys during the Goo sessions. I hope that turns up on the upcoming Goo special edition.

AlphaSnake

-jinx- said:
Ummmm...no.

Yeah, it is. It's not like I'm saying Tatu's cover of "How Soon is Now" is better than The Smiths' version. Because both The Cure and 311 are both insanely overrated bands that play really drab because. So when one overrated band topples the other, it's fair game. Whereas, Tatu (a piece of steaming shit) covered a song by arguably the finest synth-pop band of all time...and if anybody dared to say their cover was better than the original, then they'd deserve death by means of torture.

But that's just me. ;)

Boogie9IGN

Dream Theater's cover of Elton John's 'Funeral For A Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)'

Elton John's cover of The Beatles' 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'

John Lennon's cover of The Temptations' 'Stand By Me'

Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's 'Hurt'

Goldfinger's cover of Nena's '99 Red Balloons'

Dashboard Confessional's cover of Weezer's 'Jamie'

EDIT: Thanks Eminem

atomsk

Party Pooper
Dope's cover of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell", and NWA's "Fuck Tha Police"

A Perfect Circle's cover of (the now defunct) Tapeworm's "Vacant"

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
TV on the Radio's cover of The Pixies "Mr. Grieves"

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
It was NIN's "hurt" not slipknot

anyways...

A Perfect Circle - Ashes to Ashes
Tool - No Quarter
311 - Love Song (yes, it is better than the original. I actually made a topic stating this when i first head the 311 version)
SOAD - Snowblind

atomsk

Party Pooper
tt_deeb said:
I don't think thats a cover...>_>

well if you want to get technical about it, the song wasnt ever officially released by Tapeworm, since the project remained in legal limbo before the plug was pulled, but a Tapeworm version of the song DID exist. since Trent bitched about the song being played before it was "fully realized" or some such thing

AlphaSnake

atomsk said:
Dope's cover of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell", and NWA's "Fuck Tha Police"

A Perfect Circle's cover of (the now defunct) Tapeworm's "Vacant"

HIM's cover of "Rebel Yell" is better.

The Darkness' cover of "Street Spirit" is the shit!

SOAD's cover of Snowblind = rock!

explodet

AlphaSnake said:
It's not like I'm saying Tatu's cover of "How Soon is Now" is better than The Smiths' version.
Is a "How Soon is Now" cover a requirement for a license to play music, or something? I think I've heard like 7 different covers.

Substance

The Kingsmen - Louie Louie (Richard Berry)

This is probably the most important cover song of all time, and everybody seems to forget it when these threads appear :/

Harry Nillson's cover of Badfinger's 'Without You' is also stunning. Like Hendrix's Bob Dylan cover 'All Along the Watchtower', and of course, The Kingsmen cover of 'Louie Louie', it eclipses the original.

Jim Bowie

The entire Grease sountrack by Less Than Jake.

+1000 for Cactus.

Reel Big Fish's cover of Boys Don't Cry.

Hi-Standard's covers of I Can't Help Falling in Love With You and Have You Ever Seen the Rain

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
the pAper chAse's cover of "Go Fishing" by Roger Waters.
Butthole Surfers cover of "American Woman" by The Who.
Xiu Xiu's cover of "Ceremony" by Joy Division/New Order.
"LMLYP" by Ween, a sorta-cover of "Shockadelica" by Prince.
Optiganally Yours's cover of "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell.

nitewulf

Lambtron said:
the pAper chAse's cover of "Go Fishing" by Roger Waters.
Butthole Surfers cover of "American Woman" by The Who.
Xiu Xiu's cover of "Ceremony" by Joy Division/New Order.
"LMLYP" by Ween, a sorta-cover of "Shockadelica" by Prince.
Optiganally Yours's cover of "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell.

american woman, by "the guess who" im assuming, not the same as "the who". if its indeed the same song covered by lenny kravitz a few years ago and not some other song.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Metallica can pretty much do no wrong when it comes to covers, though I'd be hard pressed to single one out.

Memles

The aforementioned "Hurt" is truly stunning, and "It's my Life" from No Doubt is definitely an awesome one...which was already said.

I have nothing original to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom