• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Cover Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, it is. It's not like I'm saying Tatu's cover of "How Soon is Now" is better than The Smiths' version. Because both The Cure and 311 are both insanely overrated bands that play really drab because. So when one overrated band topples the other, it's fair game. Whereas, Tatu (a piece of steaming shit) covered a song by arguably the finest synth-pop band of all time...and if anybody dared to say their cover was better than the original, then they'd deserve death by means of torture.

But that's just me. ;)

are you pissed because everybody gave you a hard time in the curiosa thread?
cure is anything but overrated. to mention them and 311 in the same sentence is a travesty, and i somewhat like 311!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'll jump into the controversy and say 311's "Love Song" as well.

Others:
Johnny Cash - "Hurt"
Pearl Jam - "Last Kiss"
Dave Matthews Band - "All Along the Watchtower"
Nirvana - "The Man Who Sold the World"
David Bowie - "Cactus"
David Bowie - "Took a Trip on a Gemini Spaceship"
White Stripes - "I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself"

atomsk

Party Pooper
AlphaSnake said:
HIM's cover of "Rebel Yell" is better.

The Darkness' cover of "Street Spirit" is the shit!

SOAD's cover of Snowblind = rock!

i'd be honestly suprised you've heard the Dope version. i'm pretty much the only one pimping them around here, and the track only appeared on thier website for a short time, and never made it on any official release (though did appear on a 2 track promo cd when you bought GT off the official site)

nitewulf

Dan said:
I'll jump into the controversy and say 311's "Love Song" as well.

bash_head.gif

nitewulf

seriously, i just heard it...and uh yeah, moving right along.
and by the way, so who sang "last kiss" originally? i didnt know that was a cover.

Yeah, sorry, but I also like 311's version of "Love Song" better than the original. This is coming from someone who likes a lot of The Cure's songs. Speaking of Cure covers, anyone heard The Get Up Kids' cover of "Close To Me"? While I don't think it's better than the original, it's a nice take on it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>i didnt know last kiss was a cover? who sang it originally?<<<

John Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers. Written by Wayne Cochran. EDIT: Brain fart... Wayne Cochran recorded it first, but his version never caught on. The former was the first version to get radio play. It was a #2 single.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Semjaza Azazel said:
Oh, I also like The Blood Brother's cover of Queen and David Bowie's "Under Pressure".

Wow, I didn't even know this existed. Soulseek, here I come!

That said, here are some of my favorite covers:

Sublime - "Hope" (Descendents)
Devo - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (Rolling Stones)
Marilyn Manson - "Down In the Park" (Gary Numan)
Minor Threat - "12XU" (Wire)
Nirvana - "The Man Who Sold the World" (David Bowie)

mattx5

Led Zeppelin's cover of When The Levee Breaks.

And forgive me for being stupid, but I didn't know House Of The Rising Sun and I Heard It Through The Grapevine were covers.

Who did the originals?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
O.K. I'll take the crown now....

1)Dancing Barefoot - U2

2)Purple Haze - The Cure

I win :D

Desperado

mattx5 said:
Led Zeppelin's cover of When The Levee Breaks.

And forgive me for being stupid, but I didn't know House Of The Rising Sun and I Heard It Through The Grapevine were covers.

Who did the originals?

HotR is a traditional.

---

Josh Groban's cover of "You Raise Me Up"

*runs far far away*

nitewulf

HoTRS is an old ballad i believe, not sure by whom originally.
"heard it through the grapevine" was originally performed by marvin gaye.

Ristamar

...Moist Vagina

Sonic Youth covered that song? No shit... *fires up KaZaa*

Some of my picks:

Nirvana - The Man Whole Sold The World (Bowie)
Failure - Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode)
The Replicants - Just What I Needed (The Cars)
Foo Fighters - Baker Street (Rafferty)
No Motiv - Space Age Love Song (Flock Of Seagulls)
Face To Face - Planet Of Sound (Pixies)

The whole cover album Face To Face put together was pretty damn good, actually. Other artists covered on that CD include The Ramones, Fugazi, The Pogues, The Psychedelic Furs, The Smiths, and Jawbreaker, among other stuff.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
nitewulf said:
american woman, by "the guess who" im assuming, not the same as "the who". if its indeed the same song covered by lenny kravitz a few years ago and not some other song.

You're right, my bad. I was in a hurry out the door :>

nitewulf

isamu said:
O.K. I'll take the crown now....

1)Dancing Barefoot - U2

2)Purple Haze - The Cure

I win :D

purple haze by the cure is absolutely brilliant. i heard it for the first time a few months ago in one of the winamp radio stations always listen to.
its called "paradise radio", everybody should add it to their favorites. they play loads of good stuff.

Ecrofirt

To anyone looking for a good laugh, I recommend the Ozzy & Busta Rhymes cover of Iron Man. Horrible, horrible, horrible... ugh.. shudder.

I really like Metallica's cover of Turn The Page.

We need moho1989 in here proclaiming how Limp bizkit's new song 'Behind Blue Eyes' is the best new song of the year.

way more

What I like about the 311 version is that it sounds less synth and more instrumental.

Johnny Cash - I won't back down.

nitewulf

thing with the 311 cover is, they just added a ska riff on the background, like they do. it makes the song very cheesy. robert smith's voice is of course much moodier and somber and just better overall, plus their synth adds an immense amount of ambiance to the song...a strange sense of melancholy, ending with a splash of happiness. but that part just cant be copied by the guitars...so 311 song lacks that feeling. not to mention the whole ska thing just ruins the mood in general.
311 just copied all the guitar leads of the original anyway, they covered the song, yes, but only thing they added was the ska riffs, and pretty much took away all the mood.

Reasons why I like the 311 version better:

- I like the slower tempo. I think it suits the song better
- The bass is much more prounounced, giving better emphasis to that kick ass bassline
- I like the vocal effect of Nick Hexum's voice
- The vocal harmonies add a lot to the chorus, IMO
- The song just sounds more full and atmospheric
- I think the guitars do the leads better than the violins
- The guitar sound is better
- The vocals actually sound moodier to me

Plus, the synth line is still there in the 311 version, it's just mixed into the background more.

Teddman

Robert Palmer's cover of "Pressure Drop"

Izzy Stradlin & the Ju-Ju Hounds' cover of "Take a Look at the Guy"

Alien Ant Farm's cover of "Smooth Criminal"

Sublime's cover of "Stepping Razor"

Steve Ray Vaughan's (instrumental) cover of "Little Wing"

Van Halen's "Pretty Woman"

Dynamite Hack's "Boyz N tha Hood"

Tamanon

Banned
Everclear's "Brown Eyed girl" Just a great rendition that sounds like he really feels the song.

Less Than Jake - "Your Love" - Such a cool song:)

Bad Religion "A Few of my Favorite Things" - Surprising song from one from the KROQ Acoustic Christmases, SO GOOD. When the dog bites, when the bee stings, I don't feel so FUCKING bad!

Good stuff:)

Tamanon said:
Bad Religion "A Few of my Favorite Things" - Surprising song from one from the KROQ Acoustic Christmases, SO GOOD. When the dog bites, when the bee stings, I don't feel so FUCKING bad! Good stuff:)

Have you heard the Me First And The Gimme Gimme's version of that song? I must say, it blows Bad Religion's version out of the freaking water.

signet said:
A Newfound Glory - Fight for Your Honor

They need to make a new Karate Kid with this song.

Actually the song is called "The Glory Of Love". And yeah, I really like that cover as well.

Also, I agree with nitewulf and diablos, the 311 cover of "lovesong" blows anus.

jett

D-Member
A lot of shitty covers have been mentioned in this thread(Alient Ant Farm? WTF? I'm surprised some of you didn't mention puff daddy's asstastic kashmir "cover"), but shit, nobody mentioned the BEST. COVER. EVER. ?

Dream Theater's medley of The Rover, Achilles Last Stand and The Song Remains the Same(all Led Zeppelin songs, for those who don't know), from their album "A Change of Seasons". Best cover ever. FACT.

oh yeah *uberbump*

GodsTyro

And the greatest cover song of all time...

Pearl Jam -- Keep on rockin' (Neil Young)

I see a woman in the night
With a baby in her hand
Under an old street light
Near a garbage can
Now she puts the kid away, and she's gone to get a hit
She hates her life, and what she's done to it
There's one more kid that will never go to school
Never get to fall in love, never get to be cool.

Keep on rockin' in the free world,
Keep on rockin' in the free world
Keep on rockin' in the free world,
Keep on rockin' in the free world.

We got a thousand points of light
For the homeless man
We got a kinder, gentler,
Machine gun hand
We got department stores and toilet paper
Got styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer
Got a man of the people, says keep hope alive
Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive.