• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome japanese game everyone should play

Pachinko

Ok, there is an anime most of you anime nerds don't even watch called shinkon gattai goddaner. It's like a 90's attempt at 70's giant robot anime filled with fan service. Anyway a game got released based on the anime and although a tad shallow it's a somewhat fun fighting game.

You basically duke it out with giant robots and 3D graphics while throwing street fighter style dragon punches at each other. There are multiple story modes to unlock and it even includes a dvd with a few episodes of the anime on it!

I think it's more fun then say budokai or other anime liscensed fighters I've played recently. It also has the bonus ferrio sponsered material(not actually sponsered by ferrio but he would if he saw it) - when you finish the game one of the girls who are all spectacularly over endowed is in the corner of the credits and you can make them dance , zoom in on them etc put them in poses. It's all very perverted in a japan only sort of way. I don't think pics of the game are easy to come by but you can check out the anime's official website for atleast a couple. www.godanner.com .

The game just came out in the last little while and can be found in ureyasu's used-too shops for about 5000 yen. For those importing that are interested, perhaps check their sites or pop off an e-mail.

EDIT- I checked the website over a bit, there is an official game website up as well
http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/godannar/index.html

Ever heard of Geppy X? It's a great PSone shooter which is basically a parody of big robot anime. It even has fake commercials.

kiryogi

Banned
Pachinko said:
Ok, there is an anime most of you anime nerds don't even watch called shinkon gattai goddaner. It's like a 90's attempt at 70's giant robot anime filled with fan service. Anyway a game got released based on the anime and although a tad shallow it's a somewhat fun fighting game.

You basically duke it out with giant robots and 3D graphics while throwing street fighter style dragon punches at each other. There are multiple story modes to unlock and it even includes a dvd with a few episodes of the anime on it!

I think it's more fun then say budokai or other anime liscensed fighters I've played recently. It also has the bonus ferrio sponsered material(not actually sponsered by ferrio but he would if he saw it) - when you finish the game one of the girls who are all spectacularly over endowed is in the corner of the credits and you can make them dance , zoom in on them etc put them in poses. It's all very perverted in a japan only sort of way. I don't think pics of the game are easy to come by but you can check out the anime's official website for atleast a couple. www.godanner.com .

The game just came out in the last little while and can be found in ureyasu's used-too shops for about 5000 yen. For those importing that are interested, perhaps check their sites or pop off an e-mail.

EDIT- I checked the website over a bit, there is an official game website up as well
http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/godannar/index.html

Its been mentioned before actually. It's like it should be Tech Romancer 2.. Anyway, I have it too, but don't really play it much, it's pretty kickass though. I need to figure out how to do moves :/

Pachinko

The moves are in the instructions for the 4 story characters actually. Its all hadoken or reverse hadoken moves and an attack button for most of the characters. You can also do a 180 downward roll plus attack for other moves. Apparently stuff can be picked up in the environment but I've never really tried to do that yet.

kiryogi

Banned
Pachinko said:
The moves are in the instructions for the 4 story characters actually. Its all hadoken or reverse hadoken moves and an attack button for most of the characters. You can also do a 180 downward roll plus attack for other moves. Apparently stuff can be picked up in the environment but I've never really tried to do that yet.

If its anything, I mashed my way through the first story mode and the little girls story mode. XD

Pachinko

yeah it's pretty simple , especially with Godanner to button mash, lots of punch punch kick kick style combos. I died twice in the story mode but I put it on easy. :p On hard mode or with a couple friends I can see this game being pretty fun.

"Shinkon Gattai Goddaner" :lol You know it's hardcore when the name only gives you 2 websites in a Google search. I like the style though. Kinda like Mazinger Z or Dai Guard with a little bit of Gundam.

kiryogi

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
"Shinkon Gattai Goddaner" :lol You know it's hardcore when the name only gives you 2 websites in a Google search. I like the style though. Kinda like Mazinger Z or Dai Guard with a little bit of Gundam.

One of the things about giant robo anime that I cant get into despite old fun is the animation style. But Goddannar on the other hand uses modern animation :D So I actually like it a bit despite the excessive fanservice.

FortNinety said:
Ever heard of Geppy X? It's a great PSone shooter which is basically a parody of big robot anime. It even has fake commercials.
Geppy X has the funniest soundtrack of all time. I think. It IS the game with the guy going like "BAH BAH BAH BAH! Bah! Bah!" right? And then he sings/barks in Japanese for a bit before going BAH BAH! a little more. And it is just totally awesome and crazed. Right? I hope I'm not thinking of something else. I only played it once but this song is burned into my mind.

I kinda wish I'd ripped the music before I sold it now...Why hadn't I thought of it before! The commercials are great, too. But the game....ehhh. I can't get into shooters with lifebars.

Did the guys who developed it do anything else? The thought of a company releasing nothing other than a 4 disc FMV loaded parody shooter cracks me up, but I have a feeling it's probably not close to the truth.

(Sorry for the hijack, Pachinko.)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
aku:jiki said:
I'm confused. The topic says "awesome", but the actual post says "somewhat fun". Which one is it?

I think he means the game-play is "somewhat fun", but the whole package is "awesome"

Rummy Bunnz said:
Geppy X has the funniest soundtrack of all time. I think. It IS the game with the guy going like "BAH BAH BAH BAH! Bah! Bah!" right? And then he sings/barks in Japanese for a bit before going BAH BAH! a little more. And it is just totally awesome and crazed. Right? I hope I'm not thinking of something else. I only played it once but this song is burned into my mind.

I kinda wish I'd ripped the music before I sold it now...Why hadn't I thought of it before! The commercials are great, too. But the game....ehhh. I can't get into shooters with lifebars.

Did the guys who developed it do anything else? The thought of a company releasing nothing other than a 4 disc FMV loaded parody shooter cracks me up, but I have a feeling it's probably not close to the truth.

(Sorry for the hijack, Pachinko.)

Yup, it indeed is the same game. The actual shooting is not bad, at least to myself. And I don't mind lifebars since I ususally suck at shooters. :p

But the whole game is "made" by the total package, including the awesome soundtrack. hell, I'd love to rip the music, but I don't know how and I use a Mac, which has no utlilities for such thing.

Gantz said:
Where can I get Geppy X?

Don't know. It's pretty old and fairly obscure. I got my copy years ago from the ... cough... cough... "scene".

Pachinko

It's awesome becuase the word gathers more attention then just saying sort of fun. Mostly though it's an obscure game based on an obscure anime series that just about no one over here watches and by fluke it happens to be pretty good, and yeah the package itself is really good for the price.

kiryogi

Banned
Pachinko said:
It's awesome becuase the word gathers more attention then just saying sort of fun. Mostly though it's an obscure game based on an obscure anime series that just about no one over here watches and by fluke it happens to be pretty good, and yeah the package itself is really good for the price.

Indeed, especially if youve never seen it, that bonus OVA of the first season(complete 90 min recap of all the eps of first season!) is a very nice addition.

Top Bottom