• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aziz Ansari: "Why Trump makes me scared for my family."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/opinion/sunday/aziz-ansari-why-trump-makes-me-scared-for-my-family.html?_r=0

I am the son of Muslim immigrants. As I sent that text, in the aftermath of the horrible attack in Orlando, Fla., I realized how awful it was to tell an American citizen to be careful about how she worshiped.

Being Muslim American already carries a decent amount of baggage. In our culture, when people think “Muslim,” the picture in their heads is not usually of the Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or the kid who left the boy band One Direction. It’s of a scary terrorist character from “Homeland” or some monster from the news.

There are approximately 3.3 million Muslim Americans. After the attack in Orlando, The Times reported that the F.B.I. is investigating 1,000 potential “homegrown violent extremists,” a majority of whom are most likely connected in some way to the Islamic State. If everyone on that list is Muslim American, that is 0.03 percent of the Muslim American population. If you round that number, it is 0 percent. The overwhelming number of Muslim Americans have as much in common with that monster in Orlando as any white person has with any of the white terrorists who shoot up movie theaters or schools or abortion clinics.

I asked a young friend of mine, a woman in her 20s of Muslim heritage, how she had been feeling after the attack. “I just feel really bad, like people think I have more in common with that idiot psychopath than I do the innocent people being killed,” she said. “I’m really sick of having to explain that I’m not a terrorist every time the shooter is brown.”

I myself am not a religious person, but after these attacks, anyone that even looks like they might be Muslim understands the feelings my friend described. There is a strange feeling that you must almost prove yourself worthy of feeling sad and scared like everyone else.

I used to not be a fan of Ansari's (sorry dude, the voice always put me off) but after watching Master of None and reading this, I can't help but feel he's one of the only public figures I can say I truly relate to. I find myself in a similar position (minus the celebrity status) of feeling this constant guilt every time a brown person shows up on the news, regardless of what feelings we do or do not share, what background similarities we may or may not have.

In short, it fucking sucks, and it leaves me in a constant state of defensiveness whether I'm at home or out on the street. I worry about my family and I worry about others in a similar position as me. This is a state of being I've been in for 15 years and I don't know that I'll ever get to be comfortable in my own skin.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
No lied detected in anything he wrote. Don't really know how to fix it other than correcting people spouting bullshit and being an ally when the community needs one.

Exokell

Banned
People stereotype people. Every weird white kid in school is expected to shoot up the place, well mainly as a joke.

Aziz is a fucking boss, is my age and is brown like myself (I'm puerto rican tho)

so yeah, that's cool and stuff :)

But seriously, more so nowadays, I honestly don't always like going to certain public places when I tend to be the only brown man around (I live in eastern Washington state)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm glad he used his celeb status to say something. I don't entertain people who try to play the blame game in politics. They're always pointing their finger towards "the others" like it's an episode of Lost. The Irish are taking your jobs, Black people are rocking the boat too much asking for basic civil rights, Mexicans are dangerous and destroying our economy, etc. The second a politician starts broadly demonizing a group of people, I automatically write them off. It's bullshit. It's always bullshit. It always will be bullshit. They prey on the disenfranchised and disgruntled. Anger them up and point them towards the voting booth.

We need to stop trying to blame others and cop that we're the problem. We have a problem with mass shooters. It's cultural. Admitting we have problems that can't be blamed on a minority would be a step in the right direction. We're not weaker by saying "Hey. We got some shit we need to figure out."

Even under Presidents who I have disagreed with in terms of policy, I was never really embarrassed about this country. I respect the office of the POTUS immensely. But I'm genuinely embarrassed by Trump being a candidate. This goes beyond Democrat Republican politics. I just can't believe we're this close to letting someone like him represent us abroad. We're so much better than this.

Shaanyboi

Banned
People stereotype people. Every weird white kid in school is expected to shoot up the place, well mainly as a joke.
Not sure what weird white kid is forced to feel incredibly uncomfortable when getting on a plane, or is forced to explain the crimes of radicalized weird white kids when something horrible happens.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Oh those poor white children. So oppressed! So maligned! How on earth will they cope!

User1608

Banned
It really sucks being a target of Trump and his supporters, what a great piece.

Trump's rhetoric really put me down in a depression for a good 10 months before realizing he's a fucking clown who will lose. Now I'm living my life to tell him and his ilk, fuck you!

Am I still scared? Absolutely, but I will not be used as a punching bag. People don't realize how hurtful it is... I certainly felt it. I now know millions upon millions have a seething rage and hatred of immigrants and muslims here. That's why I stand with muslims too.

Unity, not division. I have and never will stereotype/judge an entire group of people on the actions of a few.

watershed

Banned
Yes, this is a terrible time in our country and I can't stand people who say they don't care if Trump is elected. You live a very privileged or ignorant (or both) life if you can afford to not care if Trump is elected or not.

Brinbe

Really respect Aziz and this is a very sad, revealing and honest piece on how the majority are unfairly stereotyped and vilified by the stupid actions of very few people.

Fuck Trump and anyone that supports his stupidity.

Clefargle

Yeah well too bad Aziz, did you know that Clinton is exactly the same and Trump would be better for the democratic party in the long run? Pshhh

JP_

Banned
That must explain why white kids don't get sent to principal as often, don't get arrested as much, get lighter sentencing, and generally get preferential treatment in hiring and basically everywhere else -- everybody is scared they'll shoot the place up!

/s

NandoGip

I'm not Muslim but a brown Latino. I can confirm his views from just looking the part, it's in-your-face crazy how different people treat u. Just looking the part, people who don't know me look and act very anxious. I assume because I walk with a backpack (I'm a student) but how crazy is that?... Is it just me to think its a bit ridiculous?

VeeP

Just accept it right? People gonna be people. Innocent people gonna be attacked. Let the hate roll on. /s

Shaanyboi

Banned
It really sucks being a target of Trump and his supporters, what a great piece.

Trump's rhetoric really put me down in a depression for a good 10 months before realizing he's a fucking clown who will lose. Now I'm living my life to tell him and his ilk, fuck you!

Am I still scared? Absolutely, but I will not be used as a punching bag. People don't realize how hurtful it is... I certainly felt it. I now know millions upon millions have a seething rage and hatred of immigrants and muslims here. That's why I stand with muslims too.

Unity, not division. I have and never will stereotype/judge an entire group of people on the actions of a few.
*hugs*

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm not Muslim but a brown Latino. I can confirm his views from just looking the part, it's in-your-face crazy how different people treat u. Just looking the part, people who don't know me look and act very anxious. I assume because I walk with a backpack (I'm a student) but how crazy is that?... Is it just me to think its a bit ridiculous?
It is absolutely fucking stupid, but bigotry doesn't come from a place of rational thought. Look at the Sikhs or Hindus attacked because some racist doesn't even know what identifies "Muslim" beyond brown skin.

Renekton

In short, it fucking sucks, and it leaves me in a constant state of defensiveness whether I'm at home or out on the street.
Welcome to my world, kinda sorta I guess. I live in a Muslim country (Malaysia) and two State Mufti's just had an exchange about whether us minorities should be categorized as Kafir Harbi.

Great article. I've got a bunch of family in jersey who I worry about a lot. My cousin is in high school and one of the few brown kids in her school. Tells me all about how much shit she hears around her.

MIMIC

Banned
I asked a young friend of mine, a woman in her 20s of Muslim heritage, how she had been feeling after the attack. “I just feel really bad, like people think I have more in common with that idiot psychopath than I do the innocent people being killed,” she said. “I’m really sick of having to explain that I’m not a terrorist every time the shooter is brown.”

I myself am not a religious person, but after these attacks, anyone that even looks like they might be Muslim understands the feelings my friend described. There is a strange feeling that you must almost prove yourself worthy of feeling sad and scared like everyone else.

I hate that after every attack perpetrated by an extremist, the Muslim community is EXPECTED and pressured to get out front and denounce the attack.

The Muslim community doesn't represent terrorists and shouldn't have to explain anything. But people are so close-minded that they think that they are one and the same. Every time a non-Muslim commits a mass murder, that person's race/nationality/religion isn't put on trial and forced -- as a group -- to denounce whatever happened.

IJoel

While I agree with the fundamental point of his article, it really bothers me that he took a tragedy that directly targetted the LGBT community to make his point, and nowhere in his article does he even mention the community that was the actual target of the attack.

While I agree with the fundamental point of his article, it really bothers me that he took a tragedy that directly targetted the LGBT community to make his point, and nowhere in his article does he even mention the community that was the actual target of the attack.

Because he doesn't need to represent that group? I mean cmon, his heart is obviously in the right place. That's kind of a "goes without saying" type of thing at this point that it was a tragedy. I don't think anyone is forgetting the victims anytime soon.

What I find funny is you have people who make a huge deal about Lebron James dropping F bombs on national tv because it teaches children wrong things.

Yet here we are with people who are a country's actual leaders teaching my children hate, and fear of people who are of different color, religiion, race but it's ok for the children to hear that stuff because it's political.

Nah I know what you mean. For some reason I always feel like I have to be on my best behavior whenever I go out in public. If I walk into a store, gotta make sure my hood is down, my hands are out of my jacket pockets, little gestures like that to make sure no one thinks I'm threatening. Not sure when I started to internalize this but it fucking sucks.

Great piece, it's just frustrating because it seems at this point that everyone knows what Trump is about and no amount of pointing out the obvious is going go change their mind. Trump supporters either know they're backing a racist or are quite racist themselves and therefore have a series of excuses for his bigotry. I think calling Trump and his politics racist has done all the damage it can.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Nah I know what you mean. For some reason I always feel like I have to be on my best behavior whenever I go out in public. If I walk into a store, gotta make sure my hood is down, my hands are out of my jacket pockets, little gestures like that to make sure no one thinks I'm threatening. Not sure when I started to internalize this but it fucking sucks.
I feel the need to shave every time I go to the airport. Anything that makes me look even vaguely threatening or intimidating, I feel I need to actively avoid.

Firestorm

I used to not be a fan of Ansari's (sorry dude, the voice always put me off) but after watching Master of None and reading this, I can't help but feel he's one of the only public figures I can say I truly relate to.
This lines sums up my thoughts on Aziz exactly.

giga

Fellow dark skinned dudes: I now always wear a suit when traveling at the airport. Trust me you'll get treated far better. This + tsa pre has saved me so much anxiety.

That privilege sounds nice. Wish I were as lucky.

Fellow dark skinned dudes: I now always wear a suit when traveling at the airport. Trust me you'll get treated far better. This + tsa pre has saved me so much anxiety.

I was thinking this as well, start to wear a suite when visiting America via plan.

What's sad is I'm not even Muslim, I'm Hindu.

Growing up around Muslims and Sikh's I can't help but feel helpless for them. I remember on facebook my friend had a picture of himself in front of his new car he saved up for and some random person comment's "terrorist", again, this is Canada. Just this week I think, a Muslim woman was attacked in London Ontario with her child.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I was thinking this as well, start to wear a suite when visiting America via plan.

What's sad is I'm not even Muslim, I'm Hindu.

Growing up around Muslims and Sikh's I can't help but feel helpless for them. I remember on facebook my friend had a picture of himself in front of his new car he saved up for and some random person comment's "terrorist", again, this is Canada. Just this week I think, a Muslim woman was attacked in London Ontario with her child.

The notion that there isn't still a fuck-ton of racism in Canada is unbearably naive. There's maybe a more vocal pushback against it here or there, but it still exists and is still plenty strong. Whether it be towards the muslim population (or rather anyone brown), or the native population, the east asian communities, etc. It's still plenty strong and it's still incredibly disheartening.

FartOfWar

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/opinion/sunday/aziz-ansari-why-trump-makes-me-scared-for-my-family.html?_r=0

I used to not be a fan of Ansari's (sorry dude, the voice always put me off) but after watching Master of None and reading this, I can't help but feel he's one of the only public figures I can say I truly relate to. I find myself in a similar position (minus the celebrity status) of feeling this constant guilt every time a brown person shows up on the news, regardless of what feelings we do or do not share, what background similarities we may or may not have.

In short, it fucking sucks, and it leaves me in a constant state of defensiveness whether I'm at home or out on the street. I worry about my family and I worry about others in a similar position as me. This is a state of being I've been in for 15 years and I don't know that I'll ever get to be comfortable in my own skin.
The majority of Orlando's victims were brown. In these instances the fear is not associated with skin color but religion. As he says its a small proportion of Muslims who pose a threat however the concern is with religion rather than race. If this agitates you consider your willingness to cast all texans as secessionist slime when 200,000 cretins sign on for texit.

SaganIsGOAT

Man I'm so sorry you have to deal with this :/

kcp12304

Banned
My mother used to tell me to shave before going to the airport so I didn't look like a terrorist.

The majority of Orlando's victims were brown. In these instances the fear is not associated with skin color but religion. As he says its a small proportion of Muslims who pose a threat however the concern is with religion rather than race. If this agitates you consider your willingness to cast all texans as secessionist slime when 200,000 cretins sign on for texit.

Tell that to the 6 Sikhs who were killed in that Wisconsion temple shooting or the non-Muslims who are targeted because they "look" the part.

Trump is just exploiting a fear that was already there. I don't see how any sane person could become racist because of bullshit that Trump is saying. The constant fear mongering of our media is so much more to blame for the current situation. Trump is just a figurehead. If it wasn't him, sooner or later someone else would have exploited on the fears our media has brainwashed into us during the last decade or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom