• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aziz Ansari: "Why Trump makes me scared for my family."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balb

Trump is just exploiting a fear that was already there. I don't see how any sane person could become racist because of bullshit that Trump is saying. The constant fear mongering of our media is so much more to blame for the current situation. Trump is just a figurehead. If it wasn't him, sooner or later someone else would have exploited on the fears our media has brainwashed into us during the last decade or two.

True, but knowing this doesn't help the people who are suffering as we speak due to Trump's rhetoric.

Xe4

Banned
Sorry, I must have missed all the hate crimes on weird white kids.

Actually weird kids like that being bullied and assaulted happens more often than you would think. Kids who don't fit in in high school are bullied a lot, and one of the things that is said, behind their backs or not, is that they're gonna shoot up the school. They could be the nicest people, but that doesn't stop others from bullying the shit out of them.

That's not a defense of the person you were responding to, what he said was dumb as fuck. Incinuating that it was ok go stereotype a muslim, or anyone because "that's what people do" was dumb as shit.

Future

True, but knowing this doesn't help the people who are suffering as we speak due to Trump's rhetoric.

Not to mention that trump is a fucking presidential candidate.

Republican complicit behavior regarding trump is 10 times worse than the fabricated Muslim complicit behavior of terrorists. The fact that any republican official, hell, republican nominee can look America in the face and endorse a man like trump is worse than trump himself. We need more people like aziz to speak their mind

xenist

Trump is just exploiting a fear that was already there. I don't see how any sane person could become racist because of bullshit that Trump is saying. The constant fear mongering of our media is so much more to blame for the current situation. Trump is just a figurehead. If it wasn't him, sooner or later someone else would have exploited on the fears our media has brainwashed into us during the last decade or two.

Having people like Trump on the world stage, saying the things they do, legitimizes their way of thinking. Like "If Trump can say it on a debate and get applauded why can't I yell to some Latino in the store to get back to his own country?"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yep. As a brown man, I fear for my parents' safety in America.

Great article. It's so true too, people will diminish it but the profiling happens all the time. I know too many who have experienced some form of it post-911

Having people like Trump on the world stage, saying the things they do, legitimizes their way of thinking. Like "If Trump can say it on a debate and get applauded why can't I yell to some Latino in the store to get back to his own country?"
Yes, but I think the root of the problem is really that this thinking is even present and we should ask ourselves why this is the case. I mean, we can bury our head into the ground and ignore the problem until it spirals out of control (which it would have eventually) but I think we all agree that this is not something we should do. Perhaps it's good that a guy like Trump showed just how much hatred is there. Now would be the time to do something about this.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The majority of Orlando's victims were brown. In these instances the fear is not associated with skin color but religion. As he says its a small proportion of Muslims who pose a threat however the concern is with religion rather than race. If this agitates you consider your willingness to cast all texans as secessionist slime when 200,000 cretins sign on for texit.

Except Sikhs, Hindus, or even Hispanic individuals are getting harassed too, all because some racist asshole can't even identify what they're afraid of beyond "I dunno, Muslims are brown."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom