• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bakery under fire for refusing to make anti-gay cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camwi

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/01/20/azucar-bakery-anti-gay-words-cake/22061115/

635573562483907232-azucar.jpg

DENVER, Colo. - A Colorado bakery is under investigation for religious discrimination after a baker refused to write anti-gay words on a cake.

In March of 2014, a customer named Bill Jack requested several cakes in the shapes of Bibles from the Azucar Bakery in Denver, Colo., according to the bakery owner, Marjorie Silva.

Silva says Jack pulled out a piece of paper with phrases like "God hates gays" and requested her to write them on his cakes.

He wouldn't let employees make a copy of the paper and would not read the words out loud, Silva claims. The bakery owner also says the customer wanted an image of two men holding hands with an "X" on top.

"After I read it, I was like 'No way,'" Silva said. "'We're not doing this. This is just very discriminatory and hateful.'"

In a statement to 9NEWS Jack said, "I believe I was discriminated against by the bakery based on my creed."

As a result, Jack filed a complaint with the Civil Rights division of the Department of Regulatory Agencies. The bakery is now under investigation for religious discrimination, and if the agency feels discriminatory acts were committed, the case could move forward to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission.

Bake me up some delicious bigotry if old.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is just... stupid. Incredibly stupid.

If they had made the cake, the news headline would be: "Bakery makes anti-gay cake."

They were trapped from the start no matter what they did.

Miles X

Difference here I suppose (other than the obvious ones) is that the bakery did not refuse to serve THEM but rather the cake they wanted. I'm not sure they have a case.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Rightfully so. That baker has no business offending that poor man's religion. He knew that by refusing to make that cake, he would offend not only thepotential customer, but his entire congregation and via media-proxy the entire world of gay-hating religions. When will this blasphemy and discrimination against religions end?

Makes sense. There's no justification for refusing an inter-racial marriage's cake, but plenty for refusing one for the KKK.

You would have to be a fool to think this is analogous to someone wanting a marriage cake that happens to be a gay marriage cake. It's a blatant troll job and soon to be frivolous lawsuit.

There is no harm here, or discrimination.

Camwi

What function was the cake planned for?

A Klan meeting?

All it says in the article is this:

Jack is a founder of Worldview Academy, which is a "non-denominational organization dedicated to helping Christians think and live in accord with a Biblical worldview," according to the organization's website.

I'm in agreement with others that this is a total set-up.

Wasteman

Banned
Jesus Christ.

I really don't hatred of gays? Less competition, more children adopted and non-treataning male friends for your gyal. Even if you are religious no ones trying to turn you gay.

Ourobolus

Banned
There's a difference between one's rights to speech and hate speech. It would be one thing if they refused to make a cake for a straight couple on the virtue of them being straight; it's another to say they didn't want to make it because it's vitriolic hate speech.

Someone thought that this would be a really clever ploy to turn the tables on the "bakery won't make cake celebrating gays" thing and they just failed ... horribly.

kingkitty

religious discrimination? lol I might be sympathetic if the bakery refused to make any cakes because the person was a Christian.

Does America disallow hate speech of this nature? If not, then I suppose the bakery can't refuse for personal moral reasons.

They certainly can refuse. You can personally say hateful things if you and not be in legal trouble, but a private company can refuse to do work like this if it goes against their values.

Miles X

religious discrimination? lol I might be sympathetic if the bakery refused to make the cake because the person was a Christian.

Indeed. They shoulave offered to make them a cake saying "God Bless America" or something just to drive home how idiotic they are.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
religious discrimination? lol I might be sympathetic if the bakery refused to make the cake because the person was a Christian.

But don't you see being Christian and disliking gays are inseperableable! By refusing to make an anti-gay cake they were being anti-Christian!!

Dougald

At this point bakeries should just refuse to put anything other than "congratulations" on their cakes. I think that probably covers most serious
non-erotic
use-cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom