• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

When jobs reach the production limit or run out of mats, do the workers act as labourers until they're needed or do they just kind of fuck around? How much should I be micromanaging that stuff?

I used to micro-manage it. Now I don't bother. I watched a herbalist for a while after she gathered her quota. She essentially turned into a laberer.

Jintor

Do labourers transport goods to building sites or do only builders do that?

Wish I could figure out why these jackass builders keep going to the forests to get their material instead of the stockpile a block away.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Hit a wall. Didn't build houses early to allow for the population to grow, now my first generation has died off and I'm left with 20 people :(

Wish I could figure out why these jackass builders keep going to the forests to get their material instead of the stockpile a block away.

Was just having the same issue. Builders were in middle of forest getting wood/iron instead of going to the stockpile like I assume they would.

Jintor

I assume it's got to do with the way jobs are generated and that citizens won't cancel jobs... once made... except this stockpile has plenty of resources to go around.

Wild stuff should generate seeds :( I shouldn't have to wait until a trader comes around to plant tomatos or potatos or onions! :( Year 3 and I've ploughed no fields as of yet. Hard mode is hard.

addik

I think it's both? I saw some of my builders grab some resources from a nearby stockpile.

I'm not sure about the latter though, it's either you previously sent some of your laborers to remove resources there, or the trees/stones/iron is in the way of completing the building, in which case they cut them and use those as resources.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Builders will act as laborers if there is nothing to build, and laborers do the transporting. So yeah, the builders will act as laborers transporting materials until there is enough materials to start building, then they begin acting as builders.

For your second question, the way I've seen it work is this: if a builder has nothing to build and thusly goes performing laborer stuff like chopping trees, they finish all of there "laborer" activity before checking to see if a builder job is opened up. So if they cut down a slew of trees and then left all the logs laying about the wilds, they will continue to walk back and forth cleaning all of that up until they are done, even if a builder job opens up in the meantime. And they won't actually start building until their laborer jobs are done.

I've taken to queuing up small jobs at a time for laborers for this reason. If they have a huge field to clear then once started they will finish it all the way, but if they have a bunch of little sections to clear they will do them one at a time but stop to build if they can. It seems to be working well so far.

Jintor

But this builder is dropping off resources at the construction site with abandon, but then wandering deep into the forests to plug at one vein of iron, then getting hungry, getting cold, wandering back to the vein of ore... when there's like 50 iron in the stockpile right next to him.

I did some test and here's what I'm fairly confident is how the AI works:

Laborers:
Highest Priority - Gather resources designated for clearing
Medium Priority - Clear construction sites and bring construction resources
Low Priority - Transport finished goods to their respective storage areas

Builders:
Highest Priority - Roads
Medium Priority - Clear construction sites, bring construction resources, and build.
Low Priority - Act as laborers

Workers with Area of Influence (Hunters, etc):
Highest Priority - Gather resources designated for clearing inside AOI
Medium Priority when Quota Unmet: Focus on job.
Medium Priority when Quota Met: Act as Laborer.

Everyone Else:
When Quota Unmet: Focus on job.
When Quota Met: Act as Laborer

addik

But this builder is dropping off resources at the construction site with abandon, but then wandering deep into the forests to plug at one vein of iron, then getting hungry, getting cold, wandering back to the vein of ore... when there's like 50 iron in the stockpile right next to him.

Hmm... that is strange. I haven't seen builders gather their own resources unless you tell them to and unless there really is no resources. Maybe the iron was recently delivered to the stockpile and you already previously had them queued for gathering?

Anyway, it is strange to me. I guess this is why Luke would hopefully add an option to see which tasks are queued up per each worker.

I can't tell if stuff is being stockpiled at a job-producing location (eg gatherer's hut) or not. I think it is, and then labourers come to take it back to the stockpile or not, but that doesn't seem true for some things, e.g. quarries. Anyone got any ideas?

Logs, stone, coal and iron needs yards. Food, clothes, firewood etc needs barns. Marketplace can do both roles.

Jintor

Just observed labourers hauling material to a building site without being designated builders. Excellent.

If only there were a way to keep builders ONLY hauling from stockpile --> site instead of gallivanting off into the wilds for materials...

Also, hunters really suck. Hilariously ineffective.

Flunkie

Banned
This game sounds like what I've wanted forever - the addictive gameplay of the resource gathering smartphone games without the bullshit F2P paywalls and timers.

Jintor

I think this town is going to starve to death momentarily. Don't build schools to early, the 5 years they suck from the workforce is murder early-game.

mus6677

Protip: use the priority area tool selection. I always queue up large area for laborers to collect resources, but when i needed to build something, use the priority tool and select the area the new building queue. Than all of my laborer/builder will focus on getting the building done (clear area/send materials/building)

I think this town is going to starve to death momentarily. Don't build schools to early, the 5 years they suck from the workforce is murder early-game.

I had a great exp with building a school early. I suffered years of low food and other resources and stagnant population. But after it gets running, my 100% educated population produce wonders. With just 30 adults i have like 10K+ food in stock.

Educated > Uneducated population

Ah. And hunting is a good source of early leather before you have cows.

Jintor

I don't know what I did, but by prioritising a gatherer's facility miles out of town and only realising i forgot to build houses in late autumn, every single one of my builders flipped their shit when winter hit and started freaking out between moving resources and dropping them where they stood (I think they do this when they're cold?), and all froze to death after getting caught in an endless loop

It doesn't seem possible that one guy could make this.

Imagine what 3 guys could make.......
3 guys could make half life 3

I know I'm bad when I had a mass starvation on Easy. But it lead to me finally having a surplus once I made a market as I had some greedy ass people having 200 venison and 300+ berries while their neighbor starved

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Loving the game. Failing on hard a bunch of times made medium feel like I had all the resources and time in the world, which is exactly what I intended.

The game could use a Tropico-style scenario mode, though.

I'm all for open-ended gameplay (I love Dwarf Fortress), but once you get to a Pop of ~50 in Banished you've done it all. The only thing left is to build the same structures you already have 2X, then 3X, etc.

Jintor

You know, a simple way to ensure that all your farmers/builders etc aren't out hauling shit on the other side of the map instead of harvesting/building would be for profession jobs to override labourer jobs - they'd stop what they're doing IMMEDIATELY and go do whatever needs to be done.

I think.

Loving the game. Failing on hard a bunch of times made medium feel like I had all the resources and time in the world, which is exactly what I intended.

I'm all for open-ended gameplay (I love Dwarf Fortress), but once you get to a Pop of ~50 in Banished you've done it all. The only thing left is to build the same structures you already have 2X, then 3X, etc.

yep, needs more stuff.

Fires and Tornadoes are the only things so far that have kept me on my toes. I think it needs a Uni and some research upgrades.

Once you figure out how to survive the first few years, the game isn't a challenge. Just hunter/gather and you win.

I also like how you need a balanced diet or your population will slowly die.

For the people complaining about their population getting old, build a town hall. You get nomads that come around that want to join you.

Managing population is so tricky. I just want old people to die off or something. They're killing the village by taking up the houses for the younger generation.

addik

I love the game, but I have to agree though. The mechanics are polished and well-balanced, but I hoped there would be much more content. I am currently around ~70 pop and although I haven't had any dramatic population drops so far, I can definitely see myself getting bored after some time.

I am patiently waiting for the mod kit though! Hopefully we'll have some excellent modders out there!

Jintor

Fucking hell, the trade post doesn't generate a new job for a trader if a merchant is already there, so my idiot trader is stuck on labourer duty and I can't actually exchange goods for these goddamn SHEEP

FUCKING GET IN THE TRADING POST, YOU DUMBSHIT

Fucking hell, the trade post doesn't generate a new job for a trader if a merchant is already there, so my idiot trader is stuck on labourer duty and I can't actually exchange goods for these goddamn SHEEP

FUCKING GET IN THE TRADING POST, YOU DUMBSHIT

It also seems to break if you build a bridge on the river.

Cerity

On my 3rd city now and loving it.
d3xU0et.jpg

year 13 at the moment and trying to get my food production back in the green, it's wildly moving between 500 and near 0. Once I get that done, more houses for the quarry and fishing areas so productivity and growth can increase. Once that gets done, time to actually make a proper start on the city. Built a school way too early on (20~ adults iirc) so it was blocking up my workforce, also built the trading post too early, I'm not producing any valuable goods and don't have other surplus items yet.

not sure if you need trading staff to trade anymore. Turns out some merchants just won't take certain items.

I think the traders are there just to get stuff to the post and move stuff out when you want to use it.

Cerity

I was producing quite a lot of extra food in the first few years (always at least 4k) which allowed me to expand quite a bit. The bubble did burst though, those fishing docks towards the bottom right performed terribly, each only doing 100~ per season. Because of that, I've just had a mass starvation event, lost 60 of a population of 130. It seems to have stabilised now that I've put an extra gathers hut and hunting lodge accross the river. I had originally planned that to be a farm land once I got my hands on seeds but that will now have to wait quite a bit. I'll have to go back, probably start producing iron tools until I have enough to trade for seeds.

PriitV

The bubble did burst though, those fishing docks towards the bottom right performed terribly, each only doing 100~ per season.

Their fishing areas overlap quite a bit, try to avoid it next time. Having 2 areas overlap pretty much halves their production per season.

Cerity

Yeah, for some reason I didn't take notice of their area and proceeded to build them side by side like that. For the next time I guess.

I've got it back in the green now however I'll probably abandon it, I've got a load of old people living by themselves and no young couples making kids as they've all died off. I'll be bottlenecked for the next few years at least. That and I'm too keen to start a village fresh and try another strategy.

I know some people are getting bored with it but I feel like even once you get your initial problems under control expanding is still challenging.

Still having fun, just have some minor playability nags like needing to give a secondary job to farmers so that I don't have to keep shifting them every winter to more useful jobs.

Kadin

I thought I'd read that this game was supposed to be somewhat of a casual and relaxing type of sim. After reading some of the posts in here, either I heard wrong or took it the wrong way. I know you can do stuff while paused but how would you measure your stress meter so far playing this? Did you come into the game with one expectation and get something vastly different?

I'm thinking about buying it but I'm gonna give it another day or two to get a few more impressions. Watched some YT vids and I like what I see though it seems to be a bit more difficult than I might enjoy.

Jintor

how the eff on hard could you bring in such a large haul? I don't have the manpower to spare on harvesting/fishing without decimating my resource-gathering/building population, and hunting is unreliable

I thought I'd read that this game was supposed to be somewhat of a casual and relaxing type of sim. After reading some of the posts in here, either I heard wrong or took it the wrong way. I know you can do stuff while paused but how would you measure your stress meter so far playing this? Did you come into the game with one expectation and get something vastly different?

I'm thinking about buying it but I'm gonna give it another day or two to get a few more impressions. Watched some YT vids and I like what I see though it seems to be a bit more difficult than I might enjoy.

I feel like if you are willing to grow really slow and steady it can be pretty relaxing--where it gets hard is when you try to push your growth just that bit too much. That's what I think the really interesting part is, how far to push growing before your resources break, and reallocating resources when you need to.

And honestly, even when I've gone into a death spiral I haven't really gotten frustrated with it that much.

Cerity

Gatherers, hunters and foresters are a good way to start imo. Once the foresters do their job and get trees going in their area, you should be able to keep constant stock of 3k~ food if you still have the original 5 houses. If you're near a river, even better as you have fishing docks that will have minimal effect on the area that the gatherers and hunters can work.

Farms I'll always be leaving until later, not being able to expand during winter\early spring sucks. You just don't know how much people will eat.

it just depends on how fast you want to go.

Krakle

I thought I was doing OK until I realised that my aging population had no children.

Back to the drawing board I go :(

Jintor

Urgh, was just clinging on managing the slow-onset aging population, then for some reason I hit a starvation spiral I couldn't find my way out of :<

Thought I had a pretty good setup, too. Back to the drawing board... man, expensive-ass seeds are EXPENSIVE, wa-hey.

Wish I could build an old folk's home or some condos or something. Get outta those homes, old fellas! Young'uns gotta breed or this town is gonna die!

a3den

No agriculture before 100 pop imo, or very small crop fields/orchards in the beginning. Surface is quite important to how many farmers you'll need. Avoid 15x15 fields at the start.

Few things I noticed :

- No growth or too much growth are both VERY dangerous. Buy a few houses every x minutes and try to make sure your overall pop keeps growing steadily.

- Road and building-removal priorities are VERY low. If your roads never get done, just overpopulate the builder job for a while.

once you get to a Pop of ~50 in Banished you've done it all

It's much more challenging once your first quarry and mines run out. Until then it's quite easy if you place your buildings well. After that, your population is all over the map and unfortunate errors happen rather quickly.

Kitty

Banned
Yepp, I will pick up this game.
Been watching vids by SplatterCat on youtube and this seems right up my alley.

Cerity

New town, up to year 15 now. pop at about 180. On the edge of starvation and going through a tools shortage, should be able to get out of it though. Stone quarry setup and seems to be going well. Thankfully I had built a school earlier, I had a increase of about 30 adults in a single year, the school should slow it down so I'll actually have jobs for people once they get out. Once I get fend off this situation, stone roads and a mine is next on the list.

It's an interesting situation once I get past 100 population, my growth is rather unsustainable. In this scenario I went from 5k food, down to 3k down to 1k and now hovering at 300-500. Next time I might introduce the school at 100 pop~. When I'm at that stage my only risk is growth.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, for some reason I didn't take notice of their area and proceeded to build them side by side like that. For the next time I guess.

I've got it back in the green now however I'll probably abandon it, I've got a load of old people living by themselves and no young couples making kids as they've all died off. I'll be bottlenecked for the next few years at least. That and I'm too keen to start a village fresh and try another strategy.

You could fix it now by just tearing down the middle two fishing piers and keeping the outer two but fully manning them. That would take less people to operate but yet most likely yield more fish right now.

I love the game, but I have to agree though. The mechanics are polished and well-balanced, but I hoped there would be much more content. I am currently around ~70 pop and although I haven't had any dramatic population drops so far, I can definitely see myself getting bored after some time.

I am patiently waiting for the mod kit though! Hopefully we'll have some excellent modders out there!

Agreed.

This game currently feels like Tropico 3/4 in free mode with rebels turned off. Personally I was hoping for more of a Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria feel. I knew from the beginning that there wasn't going to be any enemies, but I didn't factor in how empty late game would feel without them.

I don't even know how combat would work in this. On the harder difficulties I can't imagine throwing in enemies in the early or even mid-game. Considering all the supply chains that would need to go into fighting them off, it'd be like adding 5 extra balls to a 6-ball juggle.

Jintor

Maybe something more akin to crime, than combat. Invading armies might be a bit tricky, but dealing with cutthroats, vagabonds and smugglers might be interesting.

Have you tried getting past 200? 500?

Would you recommend this game to someone (my gf) who doesn't play a lot of games but likes these type of sim games?
Is she patient? The game can be slow if you don't balance the resources carefully and it's easy to make fatal mistakes that will force you to start over from scratch.

The interface is straightforward and easy to use.

Top Bottom