• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

Frologic

got my town to 700 population on hard. more than that and it starts crashing every 5 minutes or so.

Game is fun but it's a shame that the dev doesn't seem very interested in adding features(going by the ama and interviews), he seem eager to move on and treats this as final except from bug fixes from what I can tell. I can understand that but would be a shame with the potential Banished has. So far it's a solid 6.5/10 for me. That's a good game, but lacks variety and depth as well as challenge. The best thing about it is that it has that "one more turn" quality. With polish and more content this really could go so far.

He plans on releasing mod tools and says that the engine is perfectly suitable for it. I think he's passing on the torch to the community.

Cerity

hopefully the modtools are coming soonish. There are quite a few things I'd like to see before diving back into the game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Trying to build a self sufficient town by buying perishable stuff (stone and iron) from traders.

I bought some iron and tools from a trader last night, and this idea occurred to me too. I was actually hoping for some seeds or cattle, but my one mine ran down so I had to build another quickly. During the emergency a trader came in with iron and tools. I had an over abundance of 1200+ firewood and almost 20,000 food, so I figured sure why not. Then it occurred to me: with my crops and orchards, and my forester / woodchopper cells continually producing goods, I mean theoretically they could produce forever. But the mines production is finite, in time they run out. So, trading infinite goods for finite resources honestly makes sense.

And then I had the idea, what if I never depended on mines or quarry's, but instead placed orders for stone, iron, and tools with all merchants, and traded food and firewood whenever I could for those things?

It's an interesting idea.

My hard town is now over 180 people at year 35, I am growing ever so slowly but safely. Orchards are nice for food variety, but man crop fields and gathering huts just seem to produce so much more food. And there is a huge difference between a well placed fishing pier (with lots of water in it's radius) compared to a poorly placed fish pier. I actually tore down two of my crappy fish docks and moved them to better spots, I hate wasting three fishers on a sub par production location. I have almost all my houses upgraded to stone houses now, in fact I'm not placing wood houses at all anymore. It helps so much with the firewood situation, I'm now able to use firewood to buy goods easily.

I'll be playing Banished all weekend, it has it's hooks in me. Already got three achievements, this is one game where I can see myself going for 100% achievements just for the challenge of it.

Arkanius

Guys when should I start investing in farming?
How do I acquire cattle by the way?

Should I have multiple fisheries or just throw more workers at the fishery?

Orlandu84

Guys when should I start investing in farming?
How do I acquire cattle by the way?

Should I have multiple fisheries or just throw more workers at the fishery?

I started investing in farming as soon as I could afford buying seeds from the different merchants that arrive at the trading post. You acquire cattle in the same way - a merchant that sells cattle or chicken or sheep will come to the trading post. The starting cost for seeds and livestock is really high so I wait till I have stockpiled a lot of excess resources for trade.

I am not a big fan of the fisheries as a main source of food. I seem to have better luck with gatherers and hunters. I've not had a fishery on a lake, however, and that strategy might work.

Jintor

Year 8 of my third hard town and no major disasters to speak of just yet. I'm waiting for the food crash to kick in, though with two fully staffed harvest + forestry centres and a fishery worth 1600 p/season, I seem to be doing okay.

Wish there was a way to set 'minimum' levels of a stockpile - immediate resource gatherers would leave their resources at the nearest pile, but then haulers or other labourers not engaged in clearing would drag resources around to meet the minimum. Then I'd always have a priority stockpile of stone/wood back at home to meet local demand instead of builders trekking all across my road network to find stuff.

I am not a big fan of the fisheries as a main source of food. I seem to have better luck with gatherers and hunters. I've not had a fishery on a lake, however, and that strategy might work.

hunting and gathering is still superior even if you produce more fish. Your health goes down if you just eat one thing. You need variety of foods. If you have tons of fish, sell it at the trader for other kinds of food.

Skinpop

He plans on releasing mod tools and says that the engine is perfectly suitable for it. I think he's passing on the torch to the community.

I watched some video that said modding wouldn't allow adding new stuff, but rather just tweaking of whats already there. Don't know if there's any truth to it though.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I just lost my first town to mass psychosis. ~50 people, late Autumn, and suddenly everybody became obsessed with my stockpiles. They'd walk to one, grab something off of it, then set it on the ground nearby. Then they'd grab something else, set it on the ground, maybe grab something and set it back on the pile, and just repeat that indefinitely. They ignored the cold and just cycled stuff in and out of the pile until they froze to death. I was plotting out an expansion a ways away from the central hub of my town when it started and had no idea what was happening until about 5 death notices came in short order. Then I looked down there and saw the madness: milling throngs of citizens with little snowflake warnings above their heads endlessly moving stone, wood, and iron back and forth until they died of exposure.

Didn't even really try to stop it, honestly, since I was planning on starting a new settlement anyhow. But it was kind of an odd way for that one to go out.

I watched some video that said modding wouldn't allow adding new stuff, but rather just tweaking of whats already there. Don't know if there's any truth to it though.

Tweaking and adding new things that aren't hard coded. New professions and the like should be modable iirc.

Mengy

I'd have to search through the dev logs, but I think he just said that new game mechanics wouldn't be easy to mod in. Stuff like war and crime. The mod kit he is making will be more in line for adding new models, graphics, and fleshing out stuff that is already there. Like adding new road types, larger buildings, and cosmetic placeable stuff (statutes, gardens, fountains, etc).

I just lost my first town to mass psychosis. ~50 people, late Autumn, and suddenly everybody became obsessed with my stockpiles. They'd walk to one, grab something off of it, then set it on the ground nearby. Then they'd grab something else, set it on the ground, maybe grab something and set it back on the pile, and just repeat that indefinitely. They ignored the cold and just cycled stuff in and out of the pile until they froze to death. I was plotting out an expansion a ways away from the central hub of my town when it started and had no idea what was happening until about 5 death notices came in short order. Then I looked down there and saw the madness: milling throngs of citizens with little snowflake warnings above their heads endlessly moving stone, wood, and iron back and forth until they died of exposure.

That's something I've not seen yet. Were all of your stockpiles full at 100% capacity? Maybe they were endlessly shuffling stock around in an attempt to make more room even though they couldn't.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
That's something I've not seen yet. Were all of your stockpiles full at 100% capacity? Maybe they were endlessly shuffling stock around in an attempt to make more room even though they couldn't.

Nah, there was quite a bit of empty storage. It was technically two stockpiles, one small and one bigger one that I had laid out alongside it after the original filled up. So they were directly adjacent, but neither was full at the time. That might've had something to do with it, since I think a lot of the stuff was getting cycled back and forth between the two stockpiles. Might also have had something to do with them trying to carry materials to a construction site; I'm not entirely certain when it started since I was looking at a different part of the map, but it must have begun sometime around the time I started issuing construction orders for my new village expansion.

I'm pretty sure I could've gotten them to stop by some combination of job site and stockpile futzing, but I just let it happen because it was a total freshman effort of a town that I was planning on abandoning anyway and letting the place die out because of spontaneous mass OCD seemed like a pretty funny way to say goodbye.

Pyrrhus

Seems like you can make the old folks move in with other families if you disturb their houses by either removing them or upgrading them. And then child-bearing age people seem to take the rebuilt house. So that's one way to make housing slightly more efficient.

Edit: Never mind. They do vacate the home but then they just wander the streets as homeless people. That's kind of a crazy mechanic. Give up the house to young people you aren't even related to and go try to die on the streets of exposure.

Mengy

Seems like you can make the old folks move in with other families if you disturb their houses by either removing them or upgrading them. And then child-bearing age people seem to take the rebuilt house. So that's one way to make housing slightly more efficient.

Edit: Never mind. They do vacate the home but then they just wander the streets as homeless people. That's kind of a crazy mechanic. Give up the house to young people you aren't even related to and go try to die on the streets of exposure.

It's still a valid tactic though. Whenever I have an elderly single person hogging up a whole house I'll either raze it or upgrade just as winter sets in. They wander the streets homeless during winter while the builders tear down / upgrade the house. It usually takes long enough that the elderly single person freezes to death before the house is done, thus when it's completed it's available for a young couple to move in.

And all I've lost is one very old person who was going to die soon anyway, so no biggie.

I'm a horrible person....

Pyrrhus

Does age affect how well a villager does their job? Because you're still down a worker when you let the geries freeze. Grandpa may not breed anymore but he can still chop wood even if he can't get it, you know?

It's still a valid tactic though. Whenever I have an elderly single person hogging up a whole house I'll either raze it or upgrade just as winter sets in. They wander the streets homeless during winter while the builders tear down / upgrade the house. It usually takes long enough that the elderly single person freezes to death before the house is done, thus when it's completed it's available for a young couple to move in.

And all I've lost is one very old person who was going to die soon anyway, so no biggie.

I'm a horrible person....

Can you just build a boarding house so they aren't entirely homeless? That way you still maximize your usage of them until you run them into the ground and they die.

Anyway, I started my second game, this time on Hard, and now that I know what I am doing it's much easier. I'm up to about 80-90 population after around 15-20 years. I have to check when I get home.

Some things I've noticed, having people live close to their work areas, and having stockpiles near work areas is an absolute necessity. A cluster of a handful of houses with a stockpile, barn, forster, gatherer, and hunter clumped together in the middle of a forest is really good for creating food.

For places that aren't in the woods, I create urban areas on riverfronts, but what I have taken to doing is surrounding workplaces with housing directly. For farms this works nicely, you just create the farm like you would a town square and surround it with houses and other work places. Since it's on the riverfront I can put down fisheries and they are producing 1400 food per year with no problem.

I have a surplus of 6-10k food at all time, and really only that low because I am using food to trade with and I bought three different types of seeds. There was a while where I hadn't been expanding rapidly enough and my population was aging and dying off, but luckily I only lost about 8-10 people before my expansion caught up. I have found that basically you should keep an eye on the number of families/houses you have, and try to build two more homes just as they become equal, and you'll get a nice slow but steady expansion.

The only significant disaster I have had is an outbreak of Typhoid. I had a hospital and it was taken care of quickly. My quarry is at about 50% right now, but my mine is still relatively new. I'll have to create another quarry sooner or later.

Anyway, the game is a blast. I am super addicted. It's sort of surprising how well the systems work. You can make urban and rural developments work for you if you do it right. For good urban development you just have to treat farms like you would treat parks in other city building games, and utilize your waterfront heavily. What I really want is to be able to buy some sheep to get wool. I am guessing the trading you'd be able to get with wool would be great.

Edit: Does anyone know how many resources each citizen takes per year? Is there a set amount of food, firewood, tools and clothes they use per year? Or close to it? You could probably calculate exactly how much good producing infrastructure you need per citizen with some leeway and then find the best rate to expand at.

this game is good!

though i killed my guys after the 3rd year. 2nd playthrough, they all died 2nd year. 3rd playthrough and it's still going after 8 years.

i found out that placing 2 forester in one location can really sustain the forest quite well. let 1 forester do both chop and plant and the 2nd one just plant.

Retro

It should be a criminal offense to release any kind of building game without giving players terrain tools. I love everything about this game except when my town's entire layout is stopped because of an anthill that I cannot flatten and cannot build on.

I'm done until terrain tools are modded in. Too bad, it's a great game otherwise.

Jintor

Age doesn't affect the way they do their jobs, an 80 year old is just as good as a 20 year old (or a 10 year old if undeducated).

You can force them outta their homes via destruction/upgrade and from there into boarding houses, actually. It's kind of expensive though.

It should be a criminal offense to release any kind of building game without giving players terrain tools. I love everything about this game except when my town's entire layout is stopped because of an anthill that I cannot flatten and cannot build on.

I'm done until terrain tools are modded in. Too bad, it's a great game otherwise.

The worst is when you can lay roads around it, and it visibly flattens the terrain itself, but it remains inaccessable for your builders. URGH

Retro

The worst is when you can lay roads around it, and it visibly flattens the terrain itself, but it remains inaccessable for your builders. URGH

No, the worst is when you scour a map for a nice flat piece of land, using a large building (I use the market, seems to be the biggest) to 'scan' the terrain to make sure it's buildable. Then you start building, only to find a 3-tile section right in the middle of your town that ruins everything.

Reddit is no help, even their 'large, flat map' seeds are all a fucking mess.

So incredibly disappointing. I get that there's only one guy making this game, but like I said... city builders without terrain editors should be illegal.

Cerity

Tried out the whole date of birth seed thing and I got stuck with an absolute doozy of a map. Within the first year I had 4 people die of freezing and starvation when there was plenty of food and firewood. As soon as I saw the little starvation icon again I followed that person. Turns out they've been going all the way to edge of the map to get around a river and die on the way back. I clicked on the person to see what they were exactly doing and it was "Idling". Expectedly that person also died so I built them a bridge to get over said river, yet they still go all the way to the edge of the map, get around the river, decide it's time to come back and die doing so. The children doing it don't even make it to the edge before dying.

Started a new and they're still doing it.

I bought some iron and tools from a trader last night, and this idea occurred to me too. I was actually hoping for some seeds or cattle, but my one mine ran down so I had to build another quickly. During the emergency a trader came in with iron and tools. I had an over abundance of 1200+ firewood and almost 20,000 food, so I figured sure why not. Then it occurred to me: with my crops and orchards, and my forester / woodchopper cells continually producing goods, I mean theoretically they could produce forever. But the mines production is finite, in time they run out. So, trading infinite goods for finite resources honestly makes sense.

And then I had the idea, what if I never depended on mines or quarry's, but instead placed orders for stone, iron, and tools with all merchants, and traded food and firewood whenever I could for those things?

It's an interesting idea.

My hard town is now over 180 people at year 35, I am growing ever so slowly but safely. Orchards are nice for food variety, but man crop fields and gathering huts just seem to produce so much more food. And there is a huge difference between a well placed fishing pier (with lots of water in it's radius) compared to a poorly placed fish pier. I actually tore down two of my crappy fish docks and moved them to better spots, I hate wasting three fishers on a sub par production location. I have almost all my houses upgraded to stone houses now, in fact I'm not placing wood houses at all anymore. It helps so much with the firewood situation, I'm now able to use firewood to buy goods easily.

I'll be playing Banished all weekend, it has it's hooks in me. Already got three achievements, this is one game where I can see myself going for 100% achievements just for the challenge of it.

Yup, that's why I'm ramping up exportation and trade. With my food reserve never going below 40K, im getting around the stable part but just with 200+ population. Still can't reach 300. I'm afraid of overextention.

I think I'm past 50 years. 8/36 achievements. Yay!

Jintor

Can't believe the town hall doesn't give you an ACTUAL census option so I can see at a glance how many students I have close to graduating, how many unmarried adults are in town etc etc

Early game Banished is a game about breeding 10 year olds :T

Because the way I play I have to rush marketplace otherwise I get death spirals too often

Also I love the uber trader he takes my massive amount of venison for seeds

Jintor

Different kinds of traders, there's resource traders, food traders, livestock traders, seed traders etc. You want the livestock trader

I have 5,000+ food and I just got a notification that the reserve of food was low?

eidt

this game is fun to play drunk.

also i am very conservative and am super obsessive over food. have < 100 people and over 12000 food. I should expand some. I did finally trade for chickens and corn

Erm... I have a grown up woman and a child of the same sex living in the same house. Alone. Without a man. How is that possible? I had no deaths in my village yet.

I have 5,000+ food and I just got a notification that the reserve of food was low?

eidt

this game is fun to play drunk.

also i am very conservative and am super obsessive over food. have < 100 people and over 12000 food. I should expand some. I did finally trade for chickens and corn

pretty sure the AI says your reserves are low if it anticipates a massive drop in storage, usually right before winter starts. I.E. you have 5000 food, at the current rate by the end of winter you'll only have 2000, it'll see the drop and preemptively warn you, I've noticed not long after the warning my stock drops at least half of what it is

Jintor

It sucks that vendors having stuff in their inventory takes them out of storage. They're intermediaries in the network, man, I hate the game triggering like four alerts cos my vendor decided to pick up 500 venison all at once and bring it back to the market

pretty sure the AI says your reserves are low if it anticipates a massive drop in storage, usually right before winter starts. I.E. you have 5000 food, at the current rate by the end of winter you'll only have 2000, it'll see the drop and preemptively warn you, I've noticed not long after the warning my stock drops at least half of what it is

eyah definitly think tht was it cause it stopped after i went over 6000.

oops accidentlally let in 26 nomads with semi low food storage

Cerity

nope, how often the trader visits depends on the map size I think. Playing the game alongside a mate, traders probably came every 5 minutes on a small map, maybe every 15 on a large.

Bedlam

Can bridge prevent traders from coming into town? My trading post is a dead buidling, and I can't figure out why.
I believe you have to put wares in it to incentivize traders to come.

edit: okay, maybe you just have to assign workers to the trading post (the help function says something along the lines of "once you start stocking the trading post with wares..." though)

Top Bottom