• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo-Kazooie decompilation project is now 80% complete, which could lead to a PC port

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The latest in a series of N64 decompilation projects, one of which lead to an unofficial PC port of Nintendo 64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the team behind the Banjo-Kazooie project now say that their efforts are almost complete.

Officially, Banjo-Kazooie is playable on PC via Xbox‘s cloud streaming. However, a native PC port could allow for high resolutions and modding for new graphics and modern effects such as ray-tracing.

The Banjo-Kazooie project is being worked on by a team of fan decompliers. While the GitHub page doesn’t issue the team with an official name, users MittenzHugg, Mr-Wiseguy, Ryan-Myers, ThatCowGuy, Kaimeister, RageCage64, Wedarobi, eEarthcrafterman, Isotarge and Mkst are all listed as contributors.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
"ThatCowGuy"

I've heard of him. People say he's the best decompiler they've ever seen. It's like he's more machine than man ... or cow.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Holy shit thatcowguy is behind this all?

damn goty we used to tell stories about him during campfires

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
austin powers balloon GIF

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's really worth it?

I mean, you could do mods and shit, but there's better [already opened] games out there

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Neat I guess, though the xbla port is already perfect
1. you need an xbox to play it so PC and switch users are kind of fucked
2. it's locked at 720p 30fps
3. this will get graphical enhancements like the Mario 64 decomp did

Banjo's cool but i want a Mario Kart 64 decomp next

1. you need an xbox to play it so PC and switch users are kind of fucked
2. it's locked at 720p 30fps
3. this will get graphical enhancements like the Mario 64 decomp did

Banjo's cool but i want a Mario Kart 64 decomp next
You're a philistine for wanting to ruin all old art with rt

2. Banjo doesn't need more than 720p, and the draw distance was extended to infinite on xbla

3. 60fps means less on 64 games with less frames of animation and actually could make it look worse

Jinzo Prime

Damn near finished with OpenGOAL Jak and Daxter, working through Mario 64 SM64pc, waiting on stable SoH Ocarina of Time, now this?! PC out here cruisin' :)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You're a philistine for wanting to ruin all old art with rt

2. Banjo doesn't need more than 720p, and the draw distance was extended to infinite on xbla

3. 60fps means less on 64 games with less frames of animation and actually could make it look worse
i never said anything about wanting RT in banjo, when i said graphical enhancements i meant moreso like Render96 where they redo the models and environments to look better, although Mario 64 needs it more since it aged far worse visually than banjo
if you're fine with 720p you're fine with it, doesn't mean we all are though. that last statement is fucking stupid because Mario 64 translated to 60fps perfectly with 0 issues and it's my perferred way of playing the game

i never said anything about wanting RT in banjo, when i said graphical enhancements i meant moreso like Render96 where they redo the models and environments to look better, although Mario 64 needs it more since it aged far worse visually than banjo
if you're fine with 720p you're fine with it, doesn't mean we all are though. that last statement is fucking stupid because Mario 64 translated to 60fps perfectly with 0 issues and it's my perferred way of playing the game
Philistine

You like those disgusting fan made texture packs I'm sure

Begone!

Banned

render96 looks disgusting...
the better way to improve mario 64's graphics would be to simply use the a mix of original and Mario 64 DS assets and clean them up here and there.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Gp1

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You like those disgusting fan made texture packs I'm sure
no? most of the mario 64 texture packs are awful based on the fact that low poly assets do not work with high res textures, they look awkward and ugly. Remaking the assets from the ground up pretty much gives more potential for the game to look better than a simple texture pack
graphics aside, there's still a reason to decompile the game as it's not just graphical enhancements that come but gameplay enhancements as well. SM64 co op would never have happened if it weren't for the game getting decompiled
stop being such a dick

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Tried playing it again last year. If this could lead to a more pulled back camera and less loading then it will improve the experience greatly.

The Xbox version on Series X is 4k and is really good. Only problem is that it runs at 30. Would be amazing to play at 60 but it could break it. Would be nice to have the option though.

The Xbox version on Series X is 4k and is really good. Only problem is that it runs at 30. Would be amazing to play at 60 but it could break it. Would be nice to have the option though.
Banjo kazooie is the game that made me realize emulators can’t just run n64 games at native 60

Comandr

It's true though. Mario 64 was incredible for what it was, there's no denying that. That said, it's a very sterile game. I've gotten all the stars, and have no desire to go back and play it. BK on the other hand, has so much wit, humor, and goofy joy to it, it's always good to come back to and play again.

Davevil

It's true though. Mario 64 was incredible for what it was, there's no denying that. That said, it's a very sterile game. I've gotten all the stars, and have no desire to go back and play it. BK on the other hand, has so much wit, humor, and goofy joy to it, it's always good to come back to and play again.
without Mario 64 , there was no BK.

grvg

Neo Member
Decomps are the most exciting things that happens in gaming for me nowadays. Is there any reason it's always n64 and not ps1 games from that era that get decomped?

I guess legend of dragoon got a decomp, but that's the only one I'm aware of

nkarafo

Mm. Speculation at best. 3D platformers existed before Mario 64. And I'm not saying Mario 64 is bad or shouldn't exist. It's just not better than Banjo Kazooie.
It's better in some aspects. Mario is much more enjoyable to control. Mario's moves are tighter and more responsive while Banjo has a different, more lose feeling. Mario's move list is also just better in general, making platforming better.

Exploration wise though, Banjo wins. It has richer, bigger, better looking environments and more interesting level design. The visuals are vastly better without sacrificing performance too much, though still not as stable as Mario 64. Banjo's music is also better IMO, with a much bigger/richer soundtrack.

Comandr

It's better in some aspects. Mario is much more enjoyable to control. Mario's moves are tighter and more responsive while Banjo has a different, more lose feeling. Mario's move list is also just better in general, making platforming better.
This is a curious case isn't it? Banjo moves like a cartoon bear with a bird in a backpack. Their moves and traversal make sense.

Did Miyamoto ever explain why his plumber is able to side somersault, triple jump flip and wall jump?

Comandr

I suppose they don't call him Super Mario for no reason.
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.... It's been explained that Mario becomes Super Mario when he gets/uses/eats/buttchugs a Super Mushroom. Implying that little Mario is actually his natural state, and only becoming the big Mario we are all familiar with the use of the mushroom. That is the only reason for his "Super" moniker. So that's why they call him Super Mario.

Last edited:

Axelon

Neo Member
Better than mario 64
Why do we have to choose which is better? I probably played both games equally, which is like 5+ times each. I freakin love them both.

Temping to replay it on the Deck, will look goood on the OLED.

Nice, hopefully it doesn't get taken down.
Can't (well "shouldn't" I should say). Code is 100% their own and you have to provide the N64 file. It's way less than even an emulator because it doesn't have to get past the games copy protection, it just uses the assets from the file.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I think Mario is a better platformer while Banjo is a better adventure game.

Top Bottom