• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bash and other Linux command line utiltiies coming to Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaz

It's a Microsoft / Ubuntu partnership then? I don't see what Ubuntu is gaining from that. Microsoft is obviously trying to keep their (tech) userbase from fleeing to a different OS, and Ubuntu is... is what? I feel there will only be one winner in the long term.

mclem

Well, if nothing else, it's a 50:50 chance whether I'll type 'dir' or 'ls' in an arbitrary command prompt, so shifting me one way or the other will save time half the time.

SigSig

Ohhhh! This is really neat, even if only for running *nix cli stuff. Windows builds are so awkward without good packetmanagers, often depend on shit that just straight out doesn't work on windows etc.
While Powershell is a great shell to script for, it's strengths are kinda useless most of the time, since the applications themselves just don't work as well as they do on *nix.
If this will be as good as it sounds, i'll get rid of a lot of headaches soon.
Finally a system with a sane cli and Adobe CC which doesn't require a Macbook.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ahhh, okay. So it's more of a development environment thing? That makes sense. Should be good stuff. I guess it isn't super relevant to my workflow on an all windows network, since I spend a lot of my time remoted into a windows server, working in AD and in powershell. But this makes sense that it'd be a huge get to be able to work with git without installing anything else.

In theory (and what I'm hoping for) you'll be able to use Bash to command-line things similar to *NIX/BSD, and OS X in regards to management and development. Instead of windows-only/command prompt commands you'll be able to learn one "shell"/command-line interface and use it across three OS's with no issues.

That is if MS allows you to use the bash shell to create directories outside the Linux "sandbox" (that isn't a sandbox) since they're allowing you to see C:/ and other letter drives in the Bash shell.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Doubt it'll run much Linux software all that smoothly but it would be awesome to have curl and ls work

(I use GitHub Shell for that currently)

In general: good on MS for chipping away at the walled garden.
can elaborate on this walled garden?

In theory (and what I'm hoping for) you'll be able to use Bash to command-line things similar to *NIX/BSD, and OS X in regards to management and development. Instead of windows-only/command prompt commands you'll be able to learn one "shell"/command-line interface and use it across three OS's with no issues.

That is if MS allows you to use the bash shell to create directories outside the Linux "sandbox" (that isn't a sandbox) since they're allowing you to see C:/ and other letter drives in the Bash shell.
you can do all that with powershell.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
just saw on twitter "third, note that BASH and Linux Tools cannot interact with Windows applications and tools, and vice versa. So you won't be able to run Notepad from BASH, or run Ruby in BASH from PowerShell."

@rlinev

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like Cygwin much anyway.
I believe Codeacious is wrong; this blog post is from an MS employee showing it off:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Devel...ndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx

It's Ubuntu on Windows.

image_2fe8f62c-c4d1-4cba-863c-db5e9c60b4f8.png

image_265b1f35-2e11-4abc-8beb-5909c2345d8a.png

image_fd4d324c-6451-4628-9f6c-ed36628eb759.png

This looks great!

coughlanio

As a software engineer who jumps between Windows, OSX and Linux on a daily basis, this is incredible news. Bash (or other flavors such as Fish or ZSH) are what always bring me back to Linux and OSX.

Apparently it will have apt-get support too, for installing native Ubuntu CLI packages.

Well if it's true that you can't so much as launch notepad from Windows Bash; it's not really a command line / power shell alternative.

It's Ubuntu Bash running on Windows; without the ability to call any windows binaries.

Yeah it's not a full replacement, especially if you're a Windows system administrator and need actual system access from the command line. For a lot of developers, including myself, I'd assume it's as good as a full replacement.
So is it GNU/Windows now?
GNU\Windows

riotous

Banned
Yeah it's not a full replacement, especially if you're a Windows system administrator and need actual system access from the command line. For a lot of developers, including myself, I'd assume it's as good as a full replacement.

Yeah of course; the article linked is talking about batch processes via the windows command prompt; which is really not a development tool or really related to this announcement.

Just thougth it was a strange thing to link to (and a strange article in general) and some of the conversations here in general seem a little off base considering it's not anything a windows system admin could really get much use out of.

Yeah of course; the article linked is talking about batch processes via the windows command prompt; which is really not a development tool or really related to this announcement.

Just thougth it was a strange thing to link to (and a strange article in general) and some of the conversations here in general seem a little off base considering it's not anything a windows system admin could really get much use out of.

Yeah, these are probably the best writeups about this right now:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Devel...ndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

Definitely seems to be aimed at developers more than anything.

GNU\Windows

Ehh... Idk, if all you can do is run gnu command line utilities, it certainly becomes much less useful. If anywhere in yoru script chain needs to shell out to, like, your compiler, the whole thing is shot. Literally all you can use it for is like grep, sed, awk, rsync, curl, wget, etc.

MartyStu

Ehh... Idk, if all you can do is run gnu command line utilities, it certainly becomes much less useful. If anywhere in yoru script chain needs to shell out to, like, your compiler, the whole thing is shot. Literally all you can use it for is like grep, sed, awk, rsync, curl, wget, etc.

They demoed actually compiling a simple c program.

Not that I completely disagree with you.

soco

Now if only they could solve the python headaches with this, but that'd probably require some new devtools.

That's why I didn't say all developers. There's a lot of development that can be done without ever touching a Windows binary. And if you're using an IDE then you don't need to build on the command line and the two never need to interact.

Of course being able to interact with Windows would be awesome, I suspect it'll take a bit more time to reach that point..
They demoed actually compiling a simple c program.

Not that I completely disagree with you.
But that compiled as a Linux binary inside the Linux subsystem. Won't work if you want to compile something for Windows.

We may actually get Wine on Windows now (Wine on Linux on Windows). Not needing to boot a VM / Dual boot to run Win16 games will be nice.

Be interesting to see if GOG follows through on that (there's not a lot of super good Win16 exclusive games but I'd still like to see them preserved for posterity)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Sounds interesting. I wonder if this would be enabled by default, as bash has had some severe vulnerabilities.

About damn time.

Now reverse them slashes in the your path...
Pretty sure you can enter C:/Windows/System32 if you wanted in Explorer or cmd.

Sounds interesting. I wonder if this would be enabled by default, as bash has had some severe vulnerabilities.

Pretty sure you can enter C:/Windows/System32 if you wanted in Explorer or cmd.

Yup, you can.

Obviously they aren't going to stop doing paths their way though, considering how much it'd break.

I've been using git bash on windows for a while now, but an actual Linux subsystem would be really nice for development. Hopefully it's better supported than the old Unix subsystem.

Same love Git Bash. I just hope the secure it down so we don't get a repeat of the Visual Basic Script viruses.

riotous

Banned

You could also use it to avoid windows versions of typically *nix utilities or servers for development purposes.

I think that's pretty damn useful since it gives you an environment more consistent with where you will be deploying bits without having to use a VM.

gaugebozo

Bashed my head against Cygwin until switching to a virtual machine. Could have used this 5 years ago, but I'm glad it's coming.

Reversed

Does that mean I could use htop to take care on processes that are in the "Winbuntu" user space, but I cannot, for instance, kill winword.exe with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom