• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Basic Laws of Fast Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brannon

I've learned long ago that many times, not all the time, but frequently enough, you can get a better deal by ordering fast food items separately instead of in a 'value' combo. You could get a number 4, or you could order a burger, fries and medium drink that are the same as the value meal make-up, and get it for less. Recently at Chik-Fil-A, instead of getting a combo that included a big sandwich, crappy fries and medium drink at $6.18 *before* taxes, I ordered the big sandwich, medium drink, and a lemon pie at $5.98 *after* taxes. It happens a lot at many places. Maybe people like to pay more for the convenience of saying "I'd like a #8 please"?

Also, if the place lets you get a free refill at your discretion, why would you want to get anything other than a small cup? You're getting FREE REFILLS at YOUR fingertip. Why pay more for a larger cup? Even if it's the only drink you're going to get, is it that much effort to get up and fill the small cup a second time? You might even realize that you don't want to drink that much, but would have because that bigger cup was full in front of you. Come on. Free refills demand small, inexpensive cups.

Anybody else have any laws of fast foodery they'd like to share? Tell us, so that we may be all the wiser when we decide to clog our arteries with the Hardee Lo-Carb Breakfast Bowl with a side order of double-large McGriddles.

After reading that, some of you may feel like replacing your intestines. That's normal. Double-large McGriddles* are not. They are Satan in a greasy wrap.

*these do not exist..... yet. Give me time and a genie though...

cvxfreak

DJ Brannon said:
Also, if the place lets you get a free refill at your discretion, why would you want to get anything other than a small cup? You're getting FREE REFILLS at YOUR fingertip. Why pay more for a larger cup? Even if it's the only drink you're going to get, is it that much effort to get up and fill the small cup a second time? You might even realize that you don't want to drink that much, but would have because that bigger cup was full in front of you. Come on. Free refills demand small, inexpensive cups.
Anybody else have any laws of fast foodery they'd like to share? Tell us, so that we may be all the wiser when we decide to clog our arteries with the Hardee Lo-Carb Breakfast Bowl with a side order of double-large McGriddles.

That's exactly what I do.

explodet

Up here (Ontario), any fast food items totalling under $4 before taxes gets charged less tax. It's why most fast food places will keep one combo at $3.99.

Usually I just order a couple of things from the cheap menu instead. Drinks are too overpriced at these places.

LakeEarth

explodet said:
Up here (Ontario), any fast food items totalling under $4 before taxes gets charged less tax. It's why most fast food places will keep one combo at $3.99.

Usually I just order a couple of things from the cheap menu instead. Drinks are too overpriced at these places.

Bingo. Also if you eat at Wendy's and you buy from the $1.39 menu, DON'T order 3 items of them, because that breaks the $4 barrier (ends up at $5, I think). Instead, get 2 $1.39 ones and instead get a small drink/frosty for $1.19. Grand total comes to $4.25, that's almost a buck saved just cause you got a small instead of a medium, and with pop you get free refills anyways.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Get water instead of soda. You spend 1-2 dollars less. :p

Oh, and Chick-Fil-A fries are good, not crappy.

border

DJ Brannon said:
Recently at Chik-Fil-A, instead of getting a combo that included a big sandwich, crappy fries and medium drink at $6.18 *before* taxes, I ordered the big sandwich, medium drink, and a lemon pie at $5.98 *after* taxes. It happens a lot at many places. Maybe people like to pay more for the convenience of saying "I'd like a #8 please"?[/i]
Or maybe they want to spend an extra 20-40 cents on a meal that comes with french fries rather than a lemon pie?

I don't think I've ever seen an instance where separate ordering is a better deal than the combo. Usually the burger + fries is only 50 or 60 cents cheaper than the combo (with a drink), and I have to resist ordering the drink since I'm trying to cut down on soda...

Jim Bowie

Fast Food companies, like any insta-business, are betting on the laziness of the typical consumer. Instead of ordering a combination of the menu items, why not just say "#1, baby. And for twenty cents more, lets gianormasize it!" Same thing goes with the Coke. You don't have to get up to refill it as much; it's tough moving about like that.

My trick is to ask for your sandwich without pickles (mustard, tomatoes, whatever). That way, they can't just give you the stuff in the heat lamp, they have to make it psuedo-fresh.

Jim Bowie said:
Fast Food companies, like any insta-business, are betting on the laziness of the typical consumer. Instead of ordering a combination of the menu items, why not just say "#1, baby. And for twenty cents more, lets gianormasize it!" Same thing goes with the Coke. You don't have to get up to refill it as much; it's tough moving about like that.

My trick is to ask for your sandwich without pickles (mustard, tomatoes, whatever). That way, they can't just give you the stuff in the heat lamp, they have to make it psuedo-fresh.

I always get my food without onions....unless of course I get onion rings

LakeEarth

Need that $3.99 deal... once a restaurant loses that, I usually stop going. Whenever McDonald's stops with their McDeal deal, I'm never going there again.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
When you're half way done with your fries, go back and complain that the fries are cold, and complain for new 'pack' of fries.

Joe

do yourself a favor and get bbq sauce next time you're there and dip a jr. bacon in it. i cant eat one without bbq sauce now.

Matlock

Banned
Chicken nuggets
Sour Cream and Chives Baked Potato
Small Chili
Water

$2.97 before tax! Awesome meal at Wendy's!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DJ Brannon said:
I need to go to a different one then; the fries at the one I go to are dry and tasteless every time.
Speaking of which, I must say that they are inconsistent when it comes to their biscuits. The campus Chick-Fil-A I used to frequent once had biscuits that were well done and sized correctly... and were really good for fastfood, but then I learned at a normal Chick-Fil-A that they usually have undercooked biscuits that are too large for their contents... and even worse, that campus Chick-Fil-A recently started putting out the crappy biscuits. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom