• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos with Free CD?

Tritroid

cdilink.gif

:lol :lol

Anyway, if BK does come with a soundtrack, it will be awesome considering how BK has some of the best themes this gen.

ferricide

BobbyRobby said:
Didn't the Japanese Version come with a bonus CD with Tower of Duraga on it?
a gamecube disc, yes. nobody here gives a crap about tower of druaga, however.

the soundtrack really is nice.. one of the highlights of the game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Awesome if it's the OST (or a sample of it). My favorite Sakuraba soundtrack since Valkyrie Profile

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/11/news_6110252.html

Partial details of one such promotion have already been revealed. Toys R Us, through its online store on Amazon.com, have announced that customers who purchase Baten Kaitos at Toys R Us stores or online will receive a free soundtrack CD. Namco confirmed today that the mini-CD will include a selection of tunes from the game, although details on the track list have not yet been announced. The CD will ship alongside the game, and quantities will be limited.

Namco has also confirmed that such offers will be available at other stores, featuring bonus materials exclusive to those retailers. EB Games and Gamestop have been confirmed to be offering different promotional items for purchasers of Baten Kaitos. Details on these promotions have not been announced, but are expected to be revealed next week.

Deg

Banned
Namco has also confirmed that such offers will be available at other stores, featuring bonus materials exclusive to those retailers. EB Games and Gamestop have been confirmed to be offering different promotional items for purchasers of Baten Kaitos. Details on these promotions have not been announced, but are expected to be revealed next week.

I wish i lived in the US sometimes. I would be on a preorder spree.

hobart

I've seen some vids of the game and it looks sweet... but I've never actually played a "card" RPG before (or maybe it is just me looking for a good RPG to play that's new).

Has this game been released in JPN already? If so... thoughts? comments? please?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The whole card thing seems to confuse people. At least from what I've heard from people who have played it, the cards doesn't make the game act like a traditional card game or whatever. They just act as menus. You still have the attack, defend, etc. commands like a normal RPG

hobart

That's what it seemed like in the battle vids I watched. But it was a tad confusing. Seemed like there was a "timed" element to it as well.

I'm gonna hafta read up on it soon when the release date draws a bit closer. But it really does look like a well done game.

radcliff

Nintendo Power said you have normal attacks and weapons, its just that they are represented by cards. Also, as the game goes on, you have a time limit to choose your commands.

hobart

So... is it REALLY a card based RPG? or is it more of a quasi-attempt at being one? Seems like it's more of the latter.

radcliff

Its a normal turn-based RPG, its just that all attacks, weapons, etc. are represented by cards. So instead of choosing a Wooden Sword icon, you choose a Wooden Sword Card.

radcliff

from NP's interview with one of the creators:

Each character has a deck of 30 - 60 cards, Each card represents a different item, spell, or attack. When your turn begins, you play a card to begin an attack. You can then add other attacks on top of the original one (up to 9 attacks depending on your level). Many cards are associated with an element (Fire, water, wind, earth, time, or dark) that can do extra damage if you use it against the proper foe, and all cards have a number in the top-right corner. The number is important; if you play multiple cards and create either a straight or a pair, you'll receive a bonus. As the game progresses, you will obtain cards that bear 2 numbers, then 3, and finally 4.....

Later a timed element will be added, transitioning the battle system from a straight turn based into a sort of turn based/real time hybrid.

hobart

But will I be beat on the river?

I keeed I keeed.

Sounds interesting actually... in some ways... it reminds me of Xenogears.

ferricide

Ryck said:
The FFX influence(art style) is a huge letdown.......
huh? there's no FFX influence. the art director is the same guy from chrono cross, and it looks way more like that. the character designs are much more in the amano FF/SaGa vein.

radcliff said:
Its a normal turn-based RPG, its just that all attacks, weapons, etc. are represented by cards. So instead of choosing a Wooden Sword icon, you choose a Wooden Sword Card.
well, essentially, yes. but there are definite "card" elements to it that differentiate it from a regular RPG setup. basically you have to pay attention to setting up your deck and keeping on top of it, getting better cards. also you have to really pay attention to the elements of the attacks you're using, and then the spirit numbers (to set up pairs or straights ala poker) for damage bonuses.

so it's definitely an RPG/card hybrid that blends elements of both. can't really seperate them. it's a neat battle system.

Apple Jax said:
Sounds interesting actually... in some ways... it reminds me of Xenogears.
well, it's made by monolith soft (who also makes xenosaga) but a different team. it's rather unlike xenosaga/gears IMO, except for maybe a plot element which would be a SPOILAR.

radcliff said:
Later a timed element will be added, transitioning the battle system from a straight turn based into a sort of turn based/real time hybrid.
this is mildly annoying and IMO doesn't add anything to the gameplay whatsoever. it's nothing insurmountable, but it's just ... pointless. would make more sense as a full-on turn based game IMO. i mean, it is, really. it's not active time (ala FF) at all; it's just that your menu will time out if you don't pick anything. dumb.

kiryogi

Banned
ferricide said:
________

this is mildly annoying and IMO doesn't add anything to the gameplay whatsoever. it's nothing insurmountable, but it's just ... pointless. would make more sense as a full-on turn based game IMO. i mean, it is, really. it's not active time (ala FF) at all; it's just that your menu will time out if you don't pick anything. dumb.

Eh, IMO it forces you to think on the fly + moves the battle pace along. Also it only enables as soon as you decide to level up your chars. Fun penalty isn't it?

Top Bottom