• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate |OT| Batvania

Yanikun

Banned
From the other thread:

az1oBEY7eMbbWDakIXDL4X3TEhr1is0M.jpg

hcv0uKZECd9glagK0dtXHbZFxoV-gplY.jpg

dXDMowq_qqQDt5B3z0ROFEDlbmgtssGI.jpg

U0nxnkgmtJHxStq7fiXNh-AqTdkVa74P.jpg

0CAN8_h0txF1QGAjFPwKO4C0T3Xaq_J_.jpg

2ExLL_qp49UX6i2md8YvJ_psLDprk-2y.jpg

Looks great in my opinion.

Very interested to see how this sells on each platform. I feel like it's going to sell better on Vita initially and then the 3DS version will catch up. Batman has a wide appeal.

Looking good.

Can't wait until Friday to pick up the game for Vita.

I'm also highly considering picking it up for 3DS also....look perfect for the 3D effect.

Kind of wouldn't mind supporting Armature; need more western handheld games for both systems. If the game is good - I'll send a message with my dollars, hopefully publishers notice good western games can sell on handhelds.

Slixshot

Banned
Looking good.

Can't wait until Friday to pick up the game for Vita.

I'm also highly considering picking it up for 3DS also....look perfect for the 3D effect.

Kind of wouldn't mind supporting Armature; need more western handheld games for both systems. If the game is good - I'll send a message with my dollars, hopefully publishers notice good western games can sell on handhelds.

you can buy the game for me, if you'd like :3

Yanikun

Banned
Very interested to see how this sells on each platform. I feel like it's going to sell better on Vita initially and then the 3DS version will catch up. Batman has a wide appeal.

The Vita version will get a two-week head-start in Europe, so it will literally sell better on Vita initially.

Letep

I have the 3DS version preordered, but I'm sort of torn on which version to spend my time with. The Vita screens look amazing and crisp; and judging by Armature's work with the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, it's sure to be great. But I spend more time with my 3DS. Argh.

Wait a second, Armature didn't do the 3DS version, did they?

Maiar_m

aww, the Batvania tagline makes me wish it were so, but I'm really not seeing it. Form what we could see of the Catwoman chase demo, it more or less looks like a beat'em all with little to no free-roaming. I may be wrong, but this feels more like an handheld Bat of War than anything.

I'll wait for the review on this. Oh and PSV version for me, if it turns out to be good - I don't want to have invested in the system for nothing.

Skilletor

aww, the Batvania tagline makes me wish it were so, but I'm really not seeing it. Form what we could see of the Catwoman chase demo, it more or less looks like a beat'em all with little to no free-roaming. I may be wrong, but this feels more like an handheld Bat of War than anything.

I'll wait for the review on this. Oh and PSV version for me, if it turns out to be good - I don't want to have invested in the system for nothing.

When the makers of Metroid Prime say they're making a metroid type game, I believe them. We haven't seen more than 10 minutes of footage to let us know the structure of the game.

Definitely pretty excited for this.

Too many games. Fuck.

Maiar_m

When the makers of Metroid Prime say they're making a metroid type game, I believe them. We haven't seen more than 10 minutes of footage to let us know the structure of the game.

Too many games. Fuck.
Oh, well, I didn't like what I've played of Metroid Prime, so it's not all that reassuring :p You're absolutely right that we haven't seen much . I'm just not feeling it quite yet (which is good, as you've said: too many games).

Ridley327

The Catwoman bit is the intro of the game. You're not even in Blackgate at that point.

Too many games. Fuck.

words dont mean anything until its been shown! And whats been shown so far just seems like arkham games slapped into 2d plane with mixed results.

Skilletor

Oh, well, I didn't like what I've played of Metroid Prime, so it's not all that reassuring :p You're absolutely right that we haven't seen much . I'm just not feeling it quite yet (which is good, as you've said: too many games).

That's fine. I'm not disputing the quality of the game. I'm just saying that the people who made metroid games are saying this is structured similarly. We've seen 6 minutes of the game. Judging this game from the footage we've seen would be akin to judging SotN based on the first 5 rooms of the castle before Death takes Alucard's weapons.

Yanikun

Banned
3DS has a much larger install base. And I can see a lot of kids, who own a 3DS, wanting to get it b/c it's a Batman game.

By initially, I meant that at least in Europe, the 3DS version will have catching up to do, and that sucks. I don't understand why the games are ready to go but the Wii U and 3DS Batman games are delayed by two weeks. The 3DS version of Rayman Origins sold like shit because it was an incredibly-late port. Now the Vita got Legends and not 3DS.

Also you have to remember that while the 3DS has a higher install base, people going into a shop looking for a 3DS game to play are likely to go with bigger stuff like Pokemon, Animal Crossing or at least one of the many Mario games. Batman doesn't have as much competition on the Vita, it's a big home console brand, so it should stand out more.

Anyway, I wish it to sell great on both. I'd love to see more big publishers show such interest in traditional handhelds, and I wouldn't want one version to do well and one to flop either. Both could use more support.

Maiar_m

That's fine. I'm not disputing the quality of the game. I'm just saying that the people who made metroid games are saying this is structured similarly. We've seen 6 minutes of the game. Judging this game from the footage we've seen would be akin to judging SotN based on the first 5 rooms of the castle before Death takes Alucard's weapons.

And your point is valid. Reviews will tell.

Skilletor

Hmm...Amazon is giving 10 dollars credit for preordering this even for Vita.

And 10 dollars credit for preordering Naruto.

That'd be 20 bucks off of a ps4 game HRMMMMMMMMMM.

Zornica

Banned
really bad timing...
releasing this between pokemon, AA5 and zelda (and bravely default), isn't going to do them any good.
I might buy it next year though.

Yanikun

Banned
'Sup. I was going to wait for a price drop, but eh, might as well give my Persona 4 Player some use until Tearaway. With any luck it's good too.

Awaiting your impressions. You wouldn't have played Castlevania Mirror of Fate by any chance? I'm curious how it compares.

Peff

Awaiting your impressions. You wouldn't have played Castlevania Mirror of Fate by any chance? I'm curious how it compares.

I did! I had fun with it too, even if it wasn't the best Castlevania. Great atmosphere and variety, but iffy bosses.

EDIT: Hm, the game is not dubbed. Either they were concerned about 3DS space limitations or that's not a good sign budget-wise.

I did! I had fun with it too, even if it wasn't the best Castlevania. Great atmosphere and variety, but iffy bosses.

EDIT: Hm, the game is not dubbed. Either they were concerned about 3DS space limitations or that's not a good sign budget-wise.

weird, i swear there was mention the console VA were representing their roles here.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
http://i.imgur.com/CdmVqOu.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WggXS54.jpg[
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YyIHUTf.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/al9Eot2.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Zn2mEnh.jpg[
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QGwmEzG.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ntVVVMH.jpg[

[url]http://www.armature.com/2013/10/22/8-blackgate-screenshots/[/url][/QUOTE]

did the Joker stole the AA? It's good that it's native res but still.

[quote="Rei no Otaku, post: 87013708"]In every thread about a DC game you bring up Cassandra Cain. Look, I loved her series too. I think she was one of the best things to happen to the Bat Family in a long time, but DC apparently disagrees A LOT. She's not coming back. [B]It's time to let her go[/B].[/QUOTE]

Never. and Stephanie Brown is officially back to the new 52, Cass will be next I can feel it.

Peff

weird, i swear there was mention the console VA were representing their roles here.

Haha, I meant European dubs, sorry. Yeah, it does have voices. The cutscenes are comic style, though, like the PSP Metal Gears.

The game looks GORGEOUS, btw. I'll take some pics now, but the odd low-res texture aside it's clean and crisp.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Haha, I meant European dubs, sorry. Yeah, it does have voices. The cutscenes are comic style, though, like the PSP Metal Gears.

It might be because of Vita space limit not 3DS (3DS game cards are bigger) and maybe they decided to just not bother or add other languages to the 3DS version.

comic style will work fine I guess because it's Batman. but is the art by a pro/well known comic artist or random no name dude from Armature?

Peff

Okiedokie, quick impressions:

- The game starts with a 10-15 minute linear tutorial where you chase Catwoman through the city while platforming, fighting cops and sneaking around. Basic stuff, but it sure looks pretty.
- The actual game takes place two weeks later. Batman enters Blackgate to rescue some hostages, but as it so happens the Joker, the Penguin and Black Mask are battling for control of Blackgate (for those worried about spoilers for the HD game, it seems to tip-toe around decently, other than "Batman wins", obviously). Each of the three has control of a key area, and Batman has to visit all three in other to save the hostages. You are free to choose where to start, but I'm not sure if they're connected or if you have to fast travel from one to another yet.
- The battle system seems to have translated rather decently to one less dimension. Batman's movement is locked in 2D, but enemies can move inside and outside ala Little Big Planet to go behind your back. Controls are really responsive, in fact, they might be a little too responsive, as the window for the counter is positively huge. There's no way to choose difficulty as far as I can tell either.
- This might not hold true as you get more gadgets and the game gets more complex, but the impression I'm getting is that Armature went for more of an Asylum approach instead of trying to emulate City/Origins. This doesn't just go for the setting, but for the combat and stealth too. Double takedowns for instance are gone, as is the option to choke someone quickly while making more noise, and perhaps because of the 2D perspective, it looks like all takedowns expose you for the duration now.
- No experience system so far, which seems odd. There are upgrades, though, since gear gating is present almost right from the beginning.
- They really put effort into making area transitions smooth and taking advantage of the 3D environment. You're often grappling into the background, and while the game is entirely 2D, there is a lot of camera pans and different angles.
- Hacking is actually not too shabby. You have to guess a three-digit combination using one of them to highlight possible combinations in a wall of numbers. It's gyro controlled, but it doesn't require moving much..
- Not sure who the cutscene artist is, but they look nice for the most part.

I'll post more stuff when I can sink my teeth into it properly later.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Okiedokie, quick impressions:

I'll post more stuff when I can sink my teeth into it properly later.

woooha, thanks a lot for your first 30 min or so impressions.

- The battle system seems to have translated rather decently to one less dimension. Batman's movement is locked in 2D, but enemies can move inside and outside ala Little Big Planet to go behind your back. Controls are really responsive, in fact, they might be a little too responsive, as the window for the counter is positively huge. There's no way to choose difficulty as far as I can tell either.

good to hear that combat work,but I'm still worried about the 2.5 freeflow I think it can be very problematic if Batman got many enemies later on like what happen in the consoles batman games.

- This might not hold true as you get more gadgets and the game gets more complex, but the impression I'm getting is that Armature went for more of an Asylum approach instead of trying to emulate City/Origins. This doesn't just go for the setting, but for the combat and stealth too. Double takedowns for instance are gone, as is the option to choke someone quickly while making more noise, and perhaps because of the 2D

good, very good.

- No experience system so far, which seems odd. There are upgrades, though, since gear gating is present almost right from the beginning.

weird, but I guess they replaced that with the unlocking gadgets system.

bryanee

Oh man, wish my copy had arrived today. First time a game hasn't arrived the day after shipping from 2game.

Top Bottom