• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle of the Next-Generation Formats (article by ign)

Chrono

Banned
It's a pretty good read.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/552/552926p1.html?fromint=1

It says that developing studios working closely with Microsoft say Xenon will almost certainly launch in 2005. Which means it's too early to adapt blu-ray.

And if Nintendo doesn't adapt it either it will single out Sony PS3 as the only console with blu-ray. If I was upgrading to blu-ray I'd definitely notice. But if Nintendo does adapt blu-ray, and it has the time to do it since it's launching at the same time as Sony (or later...), then it's going to be bad for xenon since it will be seen as the only console without blu-ray.

When PS2 was coming out people were upgrading to DVDs. Do you think blu-rays will that popular in 2006? I doubt that. In the end blu-ray I think could end up only being important for consoles in 2008/2009. More then enough time for Nintendo/Microsoft to battle it out without worrying about blu-ray...

BeOnEdge

Banned
blue ray will in no way be as popular as DVD. VHS was the standard for how long? and only the past 2 years has the mass conversion happend. people arent just gonna drop DVD now just because. especially since HDTV isnt standard yet. BluRay in a console is too early. even for 2006 IMO. unless its cheap and it doesnt look to be.

MattCoz

There's no reason to drop DVD, Blu-Ray players will play DVDs too. Blu-Ray(or HD-DVD) is necessary for HDTV, there's no getting around that. They will coexist for a while until HDTV is the widely accepted standard.

BeOnEdge

Banned
MattCoz said:
There's no reason to drop DVD, Blu-Ray players will play DVDs too. Blu-Ray(or HD-DVD) is necessary for HDTV, there's no getting around that. They will coexist for a while until HDTV is the widely accepted standard.

yes but why buy a blue ray player when you already have a DVD player? and no HDTV? its pointless. sony is banking on blue ray being the next DVD because the ps2 helped DVD take off. they want the same success with the ps3 and i think its a huge mistake. blue ray to DVD will be like those high def VHS tapes to normal VHS tapes IMO. Its good for storage i guess but i doubt thats the main reason they are pushing BR.

DSN2K

what would be the point of blue Ray in a European Console for example, HD is good 10 years off in europe as standard, most dont even have digital TV. :|

MattCoz

yes but why buy a blue ray player when you already have a DVD player? and no HDTV? its pointless.
Of course it is, but if you have a HDTV then it is also pointless to have to buy your movies in standard resolution. If I had the option I'd surely want to buy the HD version. Anyway, the whole point is, when HDTV really catches on and demand for HD movies builds, Sony will have a huge install base of Blu-Ray players. So those people who wouldn't have bought a Blu-Ray player will already have one, and their format will win out over HD-DVD. This isn't a ploy to sell PS3s, they really won't need the help, its to sell their format.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
DSN2K said:
what would be the point of blue Ray in a European Console for example, HD is good 10 years off in europe as standard, most dont even have digital TV. :|
It would still give the advantage of larger disc space over DVD. Disc size may not be a major issue any longer, but it still looks nice on paper.

I don't see BRD and the PS3 being positioned for a repeat of DVD/PS2. I doubt the general market will be ready and willing to adobt blu-ray in 2006. It'll be a tough sell; BRD doesn't offer as many benefits over DVD, like DVD did over VHS. Sony used DVD to help push the PS2; this time they look like they're going to try using the PS3 to help push blu-ray.

Top Bottom