• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat "Hotswap" mechanic - Brilliant and very lonely

Hey all,

I'd like to have your attention on what is, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant game features ever: "hotswap". I've been introduced to this mechanic by Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, a console spinoff of PC's Battlefield 2.

On the PC, Battlefield 2 is one of the most popular shooters ever, mainly due to the player number and battles of its online component. The multiplayer matches in Battlefield 2 resembled a battlefield: Tanks, aircrafts, transports and infantry. You guys probably know that.
Modern Combat was DICE's first console BF effort and the game launched on PS2, Xbox and it later got a port to Xbox 360. Multiplayer only titles weren't that popular on consoles back in the day so DICE had to include a single player component. Their latest single player efforts are the Bad Company series and Battlefield 3. Both came out way after Modern Combat and were pretty traditional single player games.
So what's the difference between the two SP designs? Simple. Modern Combat lives up to the "Battlefield" name. The key beeing hotswap. Hotswap is a game mechanic that lets you control almost any allied soldier or vehicle within a certain radius or field of view. You can imagine the potential. Pinned down by a squad? Can't get a decent shot on your shooters? Like in a battlefield, you're probably supported by snipers or other squads in the area. With hotswap, you can swap between soldiers in real-time and basically clear "yourself" of enemy fire. The best way to introduce you to this is obviously a video:

(These videos are from the challenge game mode, there is much swapping going on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_tBcTsXnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxKmj-NaLAM

This mechanic has the potential to open closed doors, singleplayer wise. Doors that desperately need to be opened in my opinion. For example:
- in almost every singe player, you come across an area where you're pinned down and you're covered by allied snipers
- in almost every single player, you need to paint a target or have some sort of air support.

How awesome would it be to walk around, shoot some guys, call if for air support, hotswap to the yet, fly around some, swap back to infatry, swap to tank etc. etc.

I really want more dev's to utilise this type of mechanic and I wonder why DICE abondonned this. I imagine that with next-gen graphics, the animation of switching from one character to another will be amazing, visually.

Have you guys played BF2: Modern Combat? If so, what did you think of it? If not, what do you think of this hotswap mechanic?

RoKKeR

But that's not cinematic.

This mechanic, as great as it is, will never see the light of day in the BF franchise again. Damn EA.

Disguises

Unless I misunderstood, I'm pretty sure Black Ops 2 does this in certain single player missions ("Strike" missions?). You can skip from infantry to vehicle and even control all units from a birdseye map manually.

It worked pretty well I think, it broke up the single player nice and was a welcome change.

Xander51

I agree that this was a really fun mechanic. This and the first Bad Company are perhaps my favorite Battlefield games.

Ahh i have fond memories of modern combat...so much fun.

I look forward to seeing the concept in GTAV though...that should open up some gameplay possibilities.

teokrazia

Was a nice feature.
If my memory doesn't joke me, Kaos Studios implemented something similar in Frontlines: Fuel of War.

Too bad that in the following future the greedy of EA and THQ forced both studios to make ugly CoD-clones with zero ideas. Do the involution.

It was fun but it also added tremendeous scale to the maps. Swapping from one side of the map to the other was really pleasing. Imagine the (good) chaos when you're playing something like this in co-op :O

Is this marketing or something?

Yes, I'm marketing a game from 2006.

More games need hotswap - Driver SF was the best driving game i've played in years because of it. The amount of sandbox-esque tactics it opens up is immense.

Exactly. It's a big plus for the sandbox and a big plus for replayability. Epescially the sandbox angle is a breath of fresh air compared to todays linear, scripted-expoision fests.

Good idea, in concert with wide open environments these kind of games can be a lot more fun. Certainly more fun than controlling one guy going down a corridor, rinsing and repeating for 6 hours.

branny

I liked it in The 3rd Birthday.

edit:
Does The 3rd Birthday count?
You're not controlling different characters, you just take control of their bodies.

edit: dammit, branny
Haha, yeah, it's not quite the same, but it was fun for getting out of danger, trying out other tactics, and/or just managing your "resources" in general. Controlling different types of characters is worth noting as a major difference to the OP's example, but I think the idea of swapping is still relevant, even if only for it being one of the few redeeming things about The 3rd Birthday.

Does The 3rd Birthday count?
You're not controlling different characters, you just take control of their bodies.

edit: dammit, branny

edit2:
Yeah, it's not quite the same, but it was fun for getting out of danger, trying out other tactics, and/or managing your "resources" in general. Being able to control different types of characters is worth noting as a major difference, but I think the idea of swapping still works. It was definitely one of the only redeeming things about that game.
That really is a good feature, but people always start talking about the supposedly shitty story and forget the gameplay. I played it for 10 minutes and loved it.

Bread

Banned
BF2: Modern Combat was amazing, kind of wish they would revisit that style of Battlefield eventually.
Yup, as a console only gamer at that point, it was my first go at an online Battlefield game, and it was great. I had so much fun with the multiplayer, and it had one of the best demos I've ever played.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Yay, another person who recognizes the genius that was Hotswap.

Out of all Battlefield titles, BF2:MC's campaign can claim to most closely resemble the multiplayer experience thanks to this mechanic.

Top Bottom