• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which combat mechanic would you like to see come back?

cireza

Gold Member
Man, I want to play Valkyria chronicles again
Did you play 4 ? It is a very good improvement on the mechanics.

I'd like to see more traditional square based TRPG with a character by character turn base and transitions to super pretty animations for the attacks/spells (Shining Force).

Last edited:
I've been waiting for whip mechanics as good as the ones in Super Castlevania IV but I'm not holding my breath anymore. I can't believe more games haven't copied that and what's even more mind-boggling is that no Castlevania game has implemented them since.

To me that's still the best and most "true" Castlevania game and experience, still today.

Sorry, bro, but yeah, I don't see that one coming back. For what it's worth, it actually has been copied. It was used in the very next game (Castlevania Bloodlines). Except in that game, the weapon was a spear, but functionally, it operated like the SCIV whip. I'm sure you know why the SCIV whip was basically shelved, though. It was game-breakingly effective. A big component of the Castlevania games is the reliance on sub-weapons and/or magic and the SCIV whip was so effective that it made the sub-weapons mostly useless. Also, the platforming segments that relied on the whip were.... gimmicky. Whip traversal has been tried a few times. It's never been implemented all that well.

I'm guessing you played SCIV at a pivotal time, cause otherwise it's strange to see it as the most true Castlevania since it's core gameplay deviates so significantly from the rest of the series.

Dr. Suchong

Did you play 4 ? It is a very good improvement on the mechanics.

I'd like to see more traditional square based TRPG with a character by character turn base and transitions to super pretty animations for the attacks/spells (Shining Force).
Haven't finished the first tbh.. 😅
I have the 4th, still in cellophane, waiting...
I wish I had more time 🙁

Sorry, bro, but yeah, I don't see that one coming back. For what it's worth, it actually has been copied. It was used in the very next game (Castlevania Bloodlines). Except in that game, the weapon was a spear, but functionally, it operated like the SCIV whip. I'm sure you know why the SCIV whip was basically shelved, though. It was game-breakingly effective. A big component of the Castlevania games is the reliance on sub-weapons and/or magic and the SCIV whip was so effective that it made the sub-weapons mostly useless. Also, the platforming segments that relied on the whip were.... gimmicky. Whip traversal has been tried a few times. It's never been implemented all that well.

I'm guessing you played SCIV at a pivotal time, cause otherwise it's strange to see it as the most true Castlevania since it's core gameplay deviates so significantly from the rest of the series.
Yeah I played Bloodlines but it never clicked for me. The whip mechanics are nowhere near the ones in SCIV. And believe me, I've realized that it's not coming back.

And to answer your question, well yeah? I grew up with the NES games and when the SNES game came out it blew my mind. It was like the original, only better.

Sure, there are some great Castlevania games made after that one but because of that they don't feel as true to me. Just my opinion. To me it doesn't feel gimmicky, only super satisfying. The controls are really 100%, mmmm.

Other platformers should have learned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom