• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Arucardo

KingOfKong said:
anybody know if we are going to be able to change our name in retail or are we stuck with our Origin names?
There was a screenshot of battlelog floating around before the beta started that showed the option for multiple soldier ID's/names, so there's that option at least. Unless they decided to take it out :F .

Jas

SapientWolf said:
Yes, and yes. A-10s have two seats. The 360 pad works just fine for everyone except me :(

My Madcatz 360 controller doesn't work in the game. I installed the motionjoy drivers and use my PS3 controller to fly jets.

desu

Dakota47 said:
God I hope so.

The question is, how useful will that be?

I wouldnt be surprised if all origin account names are reserved as player names, which would mean that most likely all not so shitty names are already taken :s. Well lets hope not.

Arucardo said:
There was a screenshot of battlelog floating around before the beta started that showed the option for multiple soldier ID's/names, so there's that option at least. Unless they decided to take it out :F .

k i will keep my fingers crossed then

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jas said:
My Madcatz 360 controller doesn't work in the game. I installed the motionjoy drivers and use my PS3 controller to fly jets.
Hmm... And I was using a third party Razer Onza TE 360 gamepad. Maybe you have to use the official MS one, which would be bizarre.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Jas said:

My madcatz 360 controller works perfectly. 64-bit Windows 7 Pro.

Windows 7 installed the driver automatically as soon as I plugged it in, didn't have to do anything else.

Driver Info from Device Manager:

Xbox 360 Controller for Windows
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 4/8/2009
Driver Version: 2.1.0.1349

I'd remove any other software related to gamepads and make sure you're using this driver if you want it to work in BF3.

gillFTR

Unlocking heatseeking missiles is beyond retarded rofl, I'm practically untouchable against others jets talk about shooting fish in a barrel. Stingers are overpowered and retarded.

Kyaw

gillFTR said:
unlocking heatseeking missiles is beyond retarded rofl, I'm practically untouchable against others jets. Stingers are overpowered and retarded.

Not so much if you are up against good pilots.
They can shake you off because lock time is quite long and flares.

gillFTR

Kyaw said:

Flare is no problem rofl, I usually wait out the flares with a lock or shoot one to get it em to use it if they are smart.

edit : Let's also remember I have unlimited missiles, so theres no penalty for just firing them. Unlike bf2 where you had to actually resupply.

Makoto

We still don't know how they're going to nerf the UMP, do we?

For all we know, it could be just a slight increase in bullet spread.

Kyaw said:

I have never, EVER been shaken off. Nor have I ever been able to shake someone else off if they're good. Jets are just too easy to maneuver to be able to do that.

Only hope is that you have a competent wing man and he realizes someone is on your tail.

gillFTR said:
Flare is no problem rofl, I usually wait out the flares with a lock or shoot one to get it em to use it if they are smart.
I just use the machine gun lol.

Here's how my air battles go now:

See jet plane and where he's going
Calculate good trajectory to get behind him without him seeing me
Lock on
fire 2 missiles
Hit him with a couple of machine gun rounds before even the first missile hits
When the second missile hits he's dead with no time to bail out

Works every time.

gillFTR

Metalmurphy said:
I have never, EVER been shaken off. Nor have I ever been able to shake someone else off if they're good. Jets are just too easy to maneuver to be able to do that.

Only hope is that you have a competent wing man and he realizes someone is on your tail.

Yup, I usually fly super high and drop down behind the cliffs behind the US base.

Shadybiz

On the subject of 360 controllers on PC: has anyone figured out how to adjust the look/aim sensitivity while in a vehicle? It's perfectly fine on foot, but then becomes super fast while in a tank, etc. Haven't tried in a jet yet, so I'm not sure about that one.

Kyaw

gillFTR said:

Yeah, in the time to get the lock, i could have already killed the guy with the cannon.

Metalmurphy said:

I've shaken off many pilots with pretty simple manoeuvres.
Oh man, i so want a competent wing man...

gillFTR

I mean I know they want to add unlocks atleast add flares first with missiles second or those should come with the jets. At this points it's almost unfair for these pilots I go up against with no unlocks.

edit : its like infantry has to unlock guns and they start off with knifes, so people who unlock the guns first are killing people with knifes lol.

Kyaw

I saw someone post on here that DICE has confirmed that the first unlock is Flares?

MNC said:
I can't manouvre the jet for shit. WASD + mouse, how the fuck does it work. I turn very slow as well.

Use a 360 pad or PS3 pad with motionjoy 360 emulation.

Or WASD+Arrow keys!

mikeGFG

Banned
longdi said:
who is getting bored of even caspian border? Find that there is not enough tension to attack or defend a point. every battle moment for a point seems to zip past routine-like. need to have better objectives these days.

Its a boring map. I could have told you that on day one.

There is no interesting combat at any of the flags. And youre likely to be one-shot by anyone camping the bushes on any of the roads. Honestly, alot of the terrain and the vegetation in between the Caspian flags reminds me of BC2 Vietnam maps-- some of the most poorly designed shooter maps ever fucking made.

Manager

MNC said:
I can't manouvre the jet for shit. WASD + mouse, how the fuck does it work. I turn very slow as well.

I think I read somewhere in here that it's easier to use WASD+arrows, but I haven't tried it myself (joystick).

gillFTR said:
I mean I know they want to add unlocks atleast add flares first with missiles second or those should come with the jets. At this points it's almost unfair for these pilots I go up against with no unlocks.

Flares are first. But they shouldn't even be an unlock imo.

gillFTR said:
edit : its like infantry has to unlock guns and they start off with knifes, so people who unlock the guns first are killing people with knifes lol.

Yup.

Mike G.E.D. said:
Its a boring map. I could have told you that on day one.

There is no interesting combat at any of the flags. And youre likely to be one-shot by anyone camping the bushes on any of the roads. Honestly, alot of the terrain and the vegetation in between the Caspian flags reminds me of BC2 Vietnam maps-- some of the most poorly designed shooter maps ever fucking made.

Lawl. I've had plenty of memorable battles at Hilltop and Gas Station.

Complistic

longdi said:
who is getting bored of even caspian border? Find that there is not enough tension to attack or defend a point. every battle moment for a point seems to zip past routine-like. need to have better objectives these days.

Caspian border is what you make it. If you want to zip around capping flags do that, if you don't stay put and guard a flag. If you want to soley be AA, get in the AA tank or focus on taking down jets with your stinger. You can only ever get bored if you keep playing the same way.

gillFTR

Metalmurphy said:
WSAD + mouse is impossible for me. I use WASD + arrows, been that way since 1942.
my friend told me to use that, but I haven't tried it out. Actually havent even played caspian since they took them down. My internet has been down and Im waiting for the guy to come to today as we speak.

It's also retarded that we have no bombs, was I the only one who loved to fight for air supremacy in BF2 so you could have 2 mins of ground bombing runs on flags? It feels like we are literally only fighting other jets, your guns take out helicopers easy, yet do no damage to tanks it feels like.

Jas

Woo-Fu said:
My madcatz 360 controller works perfectly. 64-bit Windows 7 Pro.

Windows 7 installed the driver automatically as soon as I plugged it in, didn't have to do anything else.

Driver Info from Device Manager:

Xbox 360 Controller for Windows
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 4/8/2009
Driver Version: 2.1.0.1349

I'd remove any other software related to gamepads and make sure you're using this driver if you want it to work in BF3.

Cool, I'll try that later today, thanks.

Pachinko

Well I tried out this map, seems more like the battlefield that I know and love but as it IS a beta there's still some kinks. It's been a long damn time since I played a BF game last and I can't for the life of me remember how to chat , also how come the F keys don't change my viewpoint in a vehicle anymore? I like to see the thing I'm driving rather then a targeting reticule thanks.

Other than that , beta server issues I noticed included a pretty big one- 64 player servers flat out didn't work. 30-40 players the game ran very smoothly but as soon as it started to climb in user count from there it got noticeably laggier with each new player. Heck 1 server I played must have had ping fluctuating from 50 to 2000ms. It IS a beta but it really makes me want to sit out the first couple months of this games release.

MNC

I still would've liked a full on dropship/troop transport for atleast 10 soldiers :((((( Seeing the vehicle upgrade screen and not seeing any transport on there makes me sad.

Played first game.....and I didn't even know what the hell I was doing lol. 1 kill, 6 deaths, and 1 defuse. Took me a while to know the control functions since I was using the keyboard.

But it felt so good. I think I'll stick with the 360 controller since I'm use to that

Makoto

MNC said:
I still would've liked a full on dropship/troop transport for atleast 10 soldiers :((((( Seeing the vehicle upgrade screen and not seeing any transport on there makes me sad.
Transport helicopters are especially needed for Caspian. Assholes just drive off with the jeeps without waiting for people at the deployment.

Zeppelin

I've been playing a couple of hours on Caspian now and the game definitely feels better than Metro. Still I don't think the game is for me. Which isn't very surprising since Battlefield never really did it for me for more than a couple of hours.

Woo-Fu

Banned
vidal said:
Transport helicopters are especially needed for Caspian. Assholes just drive off with the jeeps without waiting for people at the deployment.

You'd be a fool to set foot in a transport helicopter on Caspian Border. Engineers can get lock on with stinger/igla before you're 10m off of the pad. You could probably do a low run behind the tree towards antenna, as long as there weren't any enemy engineers on that side of the map just yet. You'd still be a sitting duck for both enemy fighters.

The cereal bowl design of that map is about the worst terrain possible for helicopters. :) I'll definitely be looking for a map with rolling hills/mountains in the middle to get my copter unlocks come release, places where I can hide behind/beneath terrain features to get to/from most of the important points on the map.

Menelaus

Banned
tneqT.png

Manager

The scores for Rush objectives are ridiculous btw, I guess this have been discussed before. I only get 100p to disarm a bomb? I freakin' risk my life with 16 enemies going for one site, and I get 100p? I'd earn more if I just camped next to it and shot arriving enemies.

What are the points for arming etc, I forgot.

.nimrod

Manager said:
The scores for Rush objectives are ridiculous btw, I guess this have been discussed before. I only get 100p to disarm a bomb? I freakin' risk my life with 16 enemies going for one site, and I get 100p? I'd earn more if I just camped next to it and shot arriving enemies.

What are the points for arming etc, I forgot.

200 for arming the mcom.
And yeah, it should be more like 500-1000 points for arming/disarming

Makoto

Woo-Fu said:
You'd be a fool to set foot in a transport helicopter on Caspian Border. Engineers can get lock on with stinger/igla before you're 10m off of the pad. You could probably do a low run behind the tree towards antenna, as long as there weren't any enemy engineers on that side of the map just yet. You'd still be a sitting duck for both enemy fighters.

The cereal bowl design of that map is about the worst terrain possible for helicopters. :) I'll definitely be looking for a map with rolling hills/mountains in the middle to get my copter unlocks come release, places where I can hide behind/beneath terrain features to get to/from most of the important points on the map.
And this is why flares need to be available from the get-go. It's way too easy to shoot down choppers in Caspian, you're right but I'd rather take the chance of flying in transport chopper than spending minutes running from the deployment to the nearest contested capture point.

desu

.nimrod said:
200 for arming the mcom.
And yeah, it should be more like 500-1000 points for arming/disarming

Not going to happen, but it would be interesting to see if/how it changes the game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If they up mcom values people will just exploit it. Make it 500 and it is worth putting a buddy on the other team and swapping arm/disarm to farm points.

You need what, 8 people to start a match? Any clan/gaming community would be able to do that on an empty server and just sit there quickly and efficiently farming unlocks.

Just something to consider.

Top Bottom