• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Monocle

pixel monkey said:
For someone who cares so little for Bayonetta, you certainly seem to be experiencing an inordinate amount of ass-chaffing over my distaste for the title.

Move along, sparky.
So basically, "LALALALA U MAD!" Why are you here again?

danmaku said:
I'd say 99% of videogames have B-movie (or worst) stories. And LOL @ GoW as an example of good storytelling. GoW story is pure bullshit, and the fact that takes itself so seriously, like I really had to feel sorry for Kratos and his most excellent and lamentable tragedy, just makes it more stupid.

Ah, but it's Greek tragedy. :lol

Say what you will about Kratos and his world, but at least it's based in mythology.

Bayonetta's world seems to be based in stereotyping each and every character and caricature imaginable, all while enveloping it all in the most saccharin J-Pop imaginable. Seriously, what in the hell is that music about? My ears have cavities after playing this.

pixel monkey said:
For those who can enjoy it based solely on the gameplay, congratulations. That's good to hear.

For me, living in the post-Uncharted 2, Batman: AA, and (within the exact same genre) God of War world, action games can and have become so much more.

Story and characters weigh heavy on my purchase decisions, but I suppose that if you view Bayonetta through a nostalgic action lens, it could be a decent enough time on that level.

See, you're free to spout your opinions, but your undermining everyone elses, or as this thread shows, the majority. This is why no one will like you.

Example A: So, I played game X, and the characters are quite generic, the story was naff and made no sense, and I didn't enjoy the gameplay, pretty disappointed. Guess the game, like Blue Cheese, just wasn't to my taste.

Example B: So I played Game X, and I just don't get why people like this game, I mean it's typical american shit with their shiny bald heads and FUCK YEAH and all that shit. You guys must be typical americans to like this shit, waving your flags outside your windows.

Dabookerman said:
See, you're free to spout your opinions, but your undermining everyone elses, or as this thread shows, the majority. This is why no one will like you.

Example A: So, I played game X, and the characters are quite generic, the story was naff and made no sense, and I didn't enjoy the gameplay, pretty disappointed. Guess the game, like Blue Cheese, just wasn't to my taste.

Example B: So I played Game X, and I just don't get why people like this game, I mean it's typical american shit with their shiny bald heads and FUCK YEAH and all that shit. You guys must be typical americans to like this shit, waving your flags outside your windows.

Wow. Go to extremes much?

Raxus

pixel monkey said:

Say what you will about Kratos and his world, but at least it's based in mythology.

Bayonetta's world seems to be based in stereotyping each and every character and caricature imaginable, all while enveloping it all in the most saccharin J-Pop imaginable. Seriously, what in the hell is that music about? My ears have cavities after playing this.
After God of War one it just seems God of War 2 and 3 are just phoning in the plot.

That isn't even poking at the flaws in 1's plot in that why does Kratos, an established killer and ass, care so much for a family we never realized existed until the last few hours of the story.

All it boils down to is _______ crossed you, kill them. Kill them dead. /actiongameplot

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
pixel monkey said:
I didn't buy the game solely for the story, but is it too much to ask to have interesting characters and some sense of an intelligible plot?

Apparently, yes. Yes it is.
Did you really buy the game? Because it doesn't sound at all like you've played anything more than the demo.

As easy as it is to hate on the story in Bayonetta it actually has themes that it doesn't beat you over the head with. It's dumb fun most of the time, but there's actually some substance there if you're willing to read into it.

The story in Bayonetta at the end of the day is engaging, and it's presentation of information actively reveals information in a way that sets up plot twists that will take almost all players by surprise.

The game has style, which is more than most games can say in a time where every action hero is some masturbatory fantasy for self-projecting players.

Raxus said:
After God of War one it just seems God of War 2 and 3 are just phoning in the plot.

That isn't even poking at the flaws in 1's plot in that why does Kratos, an established killer and ass, care so much for a family we never realized existed until the last few hours of the story.

All it boils down to is _______ crossed you, kill them. Kill them dead. /actiongameplot

But we identify with Kratos specifically because he's such an anti-hero, because he's just so pissed off that you can't help but to love the big lug!

How about in the GoW III demo when he hucks the innocent bystander off the cliff because he doesn't have time for the whining? You've got to love that! :lol

Raxus

pixel monkey said:
But we identify with Kratos specifically because he's such an anti-hero, because he's just so pissed off that you can't help but to love the big lug!

How about in the GoW III demo when he hucks the innocent bystander off the cliff because he doesn't have time for the whining? You've got to love that! :lol
You just described most action heroes.

As mentioned before Kratos is always on kill everything mode it becomes sadly comical. I don't sympathize with him in any way or form and the story doesn't play off that way with me. I mean he kills innocents for health most of the time or just because they are in his way. Badass? Sure. Any way to build a story. Hell no.

danmaku

pixel monkey said:

And so what? does the fact that it butchers greek mythology into a series of boss fights makes it somehow better than Bayonetta's story?

I just don't understand why you are so concerned with the story and the characters in Bayonetta while at the same time you praise a game that has exactly the same problems. In this genre, this isn't important at all. Just go on and kill the bad guys, GoW's atrocious story doesn't make it a bad game, and the same goes for Bayonetta.

hulot

pixel monkey said:
For someone who cares so little for Bayonetta, you certainly seem to be experiencing an inordinate amount of ass-chaffing over my distaste for the title.

Move along, sparky.
Isn't this your schtick? Why don't you tell your wife and kids just how superior you are because some guys on an online forum like something you don't instead of spending your valuable time here arguing with strangers?

pixel monkey said:
What's that saying about a fool and his money?

I've got not only a career, but also a wife and two kids to compete with my gaming time, so yeah.
Wait, what is that saying about a fool and his money? Buying games to justify your whining...

george_us

Dear Hideki Kamiya and Team Little Angels,

Do not listen to pixel monkey's non-sensical ramblings.

Love always,
george_us

P.S. Bayonetta's story is awesome in a non-sensical way.

ITT: Pixel Monkey showing us that he is better than us Lonely Otakus who slap pictures of Bayonetta's head on the back of mannequins and bathe it with pearly white goodness.

Raxus said:
You just described most action heroes.

As mentioned before Kratos is always on kill everything mode it becomes sadly comical. I don't sympathize with him in any way or form and the story doesn't play off that way with me. I mean he kills innocents for health most of the time or just because they are in his way. Badass? Sure. Any way to build a story. Hell no.

Sympathize with him? Not at all, but much like every GTA "protagonist" we enjoy him because he allows us to release our inner anger in a way that is socially acceptable.

The fact that the original God of War elevated the genre to another level certainly helps set Kratos apart from his competition as well.

It's the music, the mood, the mythology, the supremely tight gameplay, and yes, the character of Kratos that elevates him to godlike (pun intended) levels.

Bayonetta didn't have any of this for me, but I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

hulot said:
Isn't this your schtick? Why don't you tell your wife and kids just how superior you are because some guys on an online forum like something you don't instead of spending your valuable time here arguing with strangers?

Wait, what is that saying about a fool and his money? Buying games to justify your whining...

Damn son, how big is that chip you're carrying around on your shoulder that you'd pull a quote from another thread entirely to try and unburden yourself of it?

Sit back, relax. They're only video games.

Raxus

pixel monkey said:
Sympathize with him? Not at all, but much like every GTA "protagonist" we enjoy him because he allows us to release our inner anger in a way that is socially acceptable.

The fact that the original God of War elevated the genre to another level certainly helps set Kratos apart from his competition as well.

It's the music, the mood, the mythology, the supremely tight gameplay, and yes, the character of Kratos that elevates him to godlike (pun intended) levels.

Bayonetta didn't have any of this for me, but I'm glad you're enjoying the game.
Which is a shame because I feel God of War always had poor gameplay. It is just his main chains the whole way through the game with the occasional magic attack. Bayonetta at least had a nice array of weapons to mix/match/swap to create new combos against different enemies. I think we discussed th story enough but I just wanted to say that personally it may play towards you and getting that satisfying filling of really killing something (something god of war really does nail into your skull figuratively and sometimes quite literally speaking) but for me it just loses it's spark in a array of QTE's instead of me actually controlling the weapon to smash the enemy to bits.

Too bad you didn't enjoy Bayonetta but hey there is always some new game on the horizon. Now I am going back to Dragon Age.

george_us

pixel monkey said:

And what genre would that be?

Edit: And Kratos is a shitty character. He's basically pissed off that he was stupid and bloodthirsty enough to kill his own family. The only thing Ares did was make it foggy.

Raxus said:
Too bad you didn't enjoy Bayonetta but hey there is always some new game on the horizon. Now I am going back to Dragon Age.

Bioware brilliance now, and speaking of horizons, a month from now. Can. Not. Wait. :D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
pixel monkey said:
I really bought it. And now I'm really returning it.

To each his own, mate.
Not to sound like a pissant, but what retailer on the face of the Earth is in the habit of taking back opened video games? Are you going to give them back an opened U2 album while you're at it?

Good luck with "returning" Bayonetta because you didn't like the story, have fun with that.

TheFallen

I'm surprised more people haven't put pixel monkey on their ignore list. I fondly remember him in the Prototype OT preaching about how shitty the game was for several pages. It's just his thing. :lol

Back on topic: Finally played the Bayonetta demo earlier today. Was incredibly surprised how strong the gameplay was. Could button-mash that shit and come up with amazing combos :lol (that's a good thing) It's a bit deeper than I expected and I'm curious how much more is gained through the game? I assume more moves are unlockable with the rings? Sorry for the belated question, but the OT isn't exactly informative.

abq

pixel monkey said:
GoW dumbed the combat down to make it more accessible and is generally a more cinematic game. I enjoyed both GoW games, but they lack the replay value that DMC and Bayonetta, thanks to their combat systems, have.

Dance In My Blood said:
Not to sound like a pissant, but what retailer on the face of the Earth is in the habit of taking back opened video games? Are you going to give them back an opened U2 album while you're at it?

Good luck with "returning" Bayonetta because you didn't like the story, have fun with that.

You do realize that GameStop, the biggest video game retailer on the planet, takes back opened titles, right? Not that I would support them.

I've been shopping at the same indie Colorado game shop for years, they know me and I know them. On the rare occasion that I return a game, they're more than happy to give me store credit. I'm sorry to hear that your local shop is not so kind.

And as far as returning U2 albums go...wouldn't I have to buy some of that dreck in order to return it?

andymcc

Banned
had the game at target, drove about an hour and a half to it, got it to register and they refused sake because of street date.... awesome

Volcynika

TheFallen said:
I'm surprised more people haven't put pixel monkey on their ignore list. I fondly remember him in the Prototype OT preaching about how shitty the game was for several pages. It's just his thing. :lol

Back on topic: Finally played the Bayonetta demo earlier today. Was incredibly surprised how strong the gameplay was. Could button-mash that shit and come up with amazing combos :lol (that's a good thing) It's a bit deeper than I expected and I'm curious how much more is gained through the game? I assume more moves are unlockable with the rings? Sorry for the belated question, but the OT isn't exactly informative.

Halos are used to purchase moves, accessories, items, and etc.

andymcc said:
had the game at target, drove about an hour and a half to it, got it to register and they refused sake because of street date.... awesome

And they had it on display? That's unbelievably horrible customer service. Did you ask to speak to a manager, to hold them to their error?

Yet another reason to support the mom and pop shops.

abq said:
They are either selling used games as new or have a really poor business plan.

That's an interesting way to look at customer service, I suppose. Maybe some giant corporation can buy their store and force them to adhere to a better business plan.

Thankfully, every store can't be Wal-Mart.

sam27368

Banned
I'm sure this has been mentioned numerous times and I'm sorry for not looking, but the whole PS3vs360 debate on this.

I own a PS3 only (I'm not a fanboy and that's the reason I like this forum, all 3 consoles are awesome with brilliant offerings). But all the reviews are slating the PS3 version for longer loading times and for crappier graphics, but at the end of the day the game sounds awesomely fun to play and that's all I care about because that's all I'll be concentrating on.

So is it worth buying on the PS3? Is the gameplay just as fun and addictive (as the reviews say) on the PS3 as it is the 360?

Raxus

sam27368 said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned numerous times and I'm sorry for not looking, but the whole PS3vs360 debate on this.

I own a PS3 only (I'm not a fanboy and that's the reason I like this forum, all 3 consoles are awesome with brilliant offerings). But all the reviews are slating the PS3 version for longer loading times and for crappier graphics, but at the end of the day the game sounds awesomely fun to play and that's all I care about because that's all I'll be concentrating on.

So is it worth buying on the PS3? Is the gameplay just as fun and addictive (as the reviews say) on the PS3 as it is the 360?
Looks and load times being minor inconveniences out the window the only thing I would suggest you look into is frame rate. Apparently it does chug at a few points in the game when the action picks up which may make your experience unpleasant.

Aske

sam27368 said:

Yes. If you don't have a 360, buy it on PS3. But play the demo first and check the game out for yourself - no sense gambling on the technical issues when you can see if they bug you before committing to a purchase.

pixel monkey said:
That's an interesting way to look at customer service, I suppose. Maybe some giant corporation can buy their store and force them to adhere to a better business plan.

Thankfully, every store can't be Wal-Mart.
Since you didn't say that they don't, it seems then that they sell opened used games as new to other customers, so no, that's not good customer service.

hulot

pixel monkey said:
Damn son, how big is that chip you're carrying around on your shoulder that you'd pull a quote from another thread entirely to try and unburden yourself of it?

Damn son, how big is that chip you're carrying around on your shoulder that you'd contradict yourself in another thread I was reading and try to make a mountain out of a copy/paste?

Tokubetsu

Has this comic been posted yet? Kinda NSFW:

2lo2i6x.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
pixel monkey said:
You do realize that GameStop, the biggest video game retailer on the planet, takes back opened titles, right? Not that I would support them.

I've been shopping at the same indie Colorado game shop for years, they know me and I know them. On the rare occasion that I return a game, they're more than happy to give me store credit. I'm sorry to hear that your local shop is not so kind.

And as far as returning U2 albums go...wouldn't I have to buy some of that dreck in order to return it?

Wait, Colorado indie game shop? Please don't tell me you mean Game Force Boulder...because that means you live near me D:

Also, while you are indeed allowed to have your opinion, what do you hope to accomplish by coming into the thread, and trashing the game? I can't think of any discernable reason, other than to get your jollies out of pissing people off.

Curufinwe

pixel monkey said:

Gamestop do not take back open games that were bought new.

Opened new games may only be exchanged for the identical item.

ShogunX

pixel monkey said:

:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
why quote him? just ignore him and he stops posting. damn.

Top Bottom