• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

ultron87

Played for like two hours.

This game is fucking insane. In the best way possible.

And
the fight with the dragon in the church is actually kind of tough.

a1m

Banned
remz said:
an 8.5 game is unplayable now? Fuck off.
"Bayonetta has a great sense of style, but the constant load times are simply horrendous."
"A good-looking game, but there's a lot of slowdown to be found in the PS3 version."
"Bayonetta has one of the best combat systems I've ever experienced. Too bad the technical issues get in the way of the player's enjoyment."

Sounds awesome.

*BAYONETTA SEEMS TO PLAY SMOOTHER FROM THE DISC THAN FROM A HARDDRIVE INSTALL*

These are my findings from playing the game tonight. I always install my 360 games to my 120GB HDD. I occasionally found the game stuttering at points during levels that were likely loading in large amounts of data (for example: can't remember the chapter number but after you get passed a long hallway of spike traps, you turn a corner and start going up a huge flight of stairs it loads two of the claw guys and gets all choppy). I made sure that the points of slowdown/stuttering was consistent and repeatable. Upon deleting the install I found these points to be totally smooth. I then installed again and sure enough the problem spots returned.

Before I can make a 100% definitive call I need other gaffers to test this out so I can rule out it being just my harddrive. If you play installed and notice a repeatable hiccup point while navigating a level try quitting, deleting the install, and seeing if it runs smoother for you off the disc.

a Master Ninja said:
*BAYONETTA SEEMS TO PLAY SMOOTHER FROM THE DISC THAN FROM A HARDDRIVE INSTALL*

Gahhhh, that sucks if it's true across all 360's. I pretty much install every game before I even play it to avoid all the disc spinning, and RRODing that 360's tend to do.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Rez said:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2la6ihx.jpg

When you have a month and a year with no day, there's no comma. It would be January 2010 and not January, 2010.

Cool OP, otherwise. =)

Fortinbras said:
Played through the installed game three times now and I didn't notice any problems.
Don't get my wrong, you'll have to be really anal about/sensitive to performance issues to notice the hitches I'm talking about. I don't mean to make it sound that playing from the HDD is a game breaker; there are just occasional spots in levels that seem to stream better from the disc than the HDD.

Rad-

New reviews:

PALGN:

Bayonetta is easily among the best action adventure games and features one of the best fighting system we have experienced. Bayonetta not only has immense depth and variety for hardcore gamers but casual gamers will also be able to get into this game very easily and have a fantastic time. Bayonetta is pure unadulterated entertainment at its finest. It is a game that will provide a stylish action experience that makes most other games in the genre feel redundant.

Bayonetta is the new Queen of action games, making other games in the genre feel redundant by comparison. Kratos, Dante and Ryu… eat your heart out because Bayonetta is here.

9.5/10

http://palgn.com.au/xbox-360/15592/bayonetta-review/

Games Master UK:

The first truly "next generation" action game and the standard everyone else has to follow.

9.3/10

(magazine so no link)

GamePro:

But when I finally did claw my way past the finish line and took a long honest look back at my time with the game, I was shocked by how much I had truly enjoyed it. Even after suffering through the grueling battles, the repeated deaths, the campy dialogue and the head-numbingly bad plot, I still had a hell of time thanks to the immensely satisfying combat, the inspired level design and the memorable boss encounters. It really is one of the better games I've played this year, and that's particularly high praise for a title I had initially written off. It just goes to prove that while the first impression might be important, it's the lasting memory that truly matters most and Bayonetta certainly leaves an impact, even if her stage presence and sense of timing need work.

4.5/5

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/213319/bayonetta/

Team Xbox:

Bayonetta is difficult to evaluate critically in ways that only games are: Should I judge it for the hours of fun I had and its frequent brilliance, ignoring the commensurate hours I sat through some of the most self-indulgent pseudo-intellectual mumbling masquerading as a cutscene since Metal Gear Solid 4 (and the fact that the game drags on approximately five hours longer than it should?)? Or should I subtract the minuses from the pluses, and punish the game accordingly? It's a situation where a number is difficult to apply. Rather, I would leave a prospective buyer with this: If character-action games are your thing, then you owe it to yourself to give Bayonetta a try, as it represents some of the best the sub-genre has ever had to offer. However, if Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden have never stirred your interest, Bayonetta may seem at times to be everything you've ever thought was wrong with this type of game.

8/10

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1830/Bayonetta/p1/

remz

a1m said:
"Bayonetta has a great sense of style, but the constant load times are simply horrendous."
"A good-looking game, but there's a lot of slowdown to be found in the PS3 version."
"Bayonetta has one of the best combat systems I've ever experienced. Too bad the technical issues get in the way of the player's enjoyment."

Sounds awesome.
there has been plenty of games with long loadtimes and framerate dips that have still been classics.

Hylian7

Cronox said:
Need more info on which stores are breaking street dates!
My local Toys R Us claims they will have it next Tuesday, which is one week before release. I sure hope that comes true.

a1m said:

Sounds awesome.

Yu-uck!

Just make this 360 exclusive if you can't port it correctly.

A pox on all ye early purchasers. I assume as always the UK's GAME empire would never do such a scandalous thing and break street date. I am very hyped for this. So very very hyped.

daebo

a1m said:
I guess you're called juniors for a reason. Did you even bother to read IGN's comments?

:lol

Yeah, "junior"... I guess all the other "member"s who said it's playable is completely wrong too. Talk about meme's that need to die out.

Fact of the matter is, you speak as if it is broken. It's not. And, we are talking about IGN, right? Yeah, they are completely reputable huh...

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Aw shit. January?! I thought Feb. Don't make no difference tho'. Day 1 regardless. That afterburner theme is the shit btw.

yurinka

Was that "Sega fixing the PS3 port" rumor true?

Has the PAL PS3 release build been improved over the JAP release build? The PAL demo was improved over the JAP demo.

If true, are the fixes included in the JAP/US release build or is going to be included in a patch?

Are the PS3 reviews based on the release US/PAL builds or just non fixed preview / review / release JAP builds?

Enigma777

Banned
I don't get it. I love DMC and I love all things Japanese (anime, sushi, j-pop and even their quirkiness) but this game looks absolutely terrible. The demo was crap. Combat was decent, but everything else made me want to laugh (at it) or pull my eyes out. Don't even get me started on the god-awful music...

I'm surprised so many others are as accepting, because I usually accept weird Japanese things with no problem... but this is just... ugh!

I was thinking of at least renting it and giving it a shot (I DO love DMC...), but the more I watch/read the less I want to. Honestly, I've never been so appalled at a videogame before.

remz

Was that "Sega fixing the PS3 port" rumor true?

Nope

I'm surprised so many others are as accepting, because I usually accept weird Japanese things with no problem... but this is just... ugh!

I was thinking of at least renting it and giving it a shot (I DO love DMC...), but the more I watch/read the less I want to. Honestly, I've never been so appalled at a videogame before.
Japan is not a genre.

Your shitty taste in videogames and music is noted, however.

andymcc

Banned
Enigma777 said:
I don't get it. I love DMC and I love all things Japanese (anime, sushi, j-pop and even their quirkiness) but this game looks absolutely terrible. The demo was crap. Combat was decent, but everything else made me want to laugh (at it) or pull my eyes out. Don't even get me started on the god-awful music...

i don't know why but this post really made me laugh. :lol

Brobzoid said:
You like J-pop but hated the music in the demo? H-What!

Well considering it's Jazz Fusion.. and I suppose he doesn't like Belgian singers as well.

andymcc said:
i don't know why but this post really made me laugh. :lol

It's like me saying, I love all things British: The Queen, Brit Pop and Tea.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Dabookerman said:
Well considering it's Jazz Fusion.. and I suppose he doesn't like Belgian singers as well.
playing the demo again, you're right. I was misremembering what I herd.

Bayonetta is sitting at 93 at Metacritic right now, another Kamiya game tha reaches 90+, will he ever do a game that dosn't reach 90? :lol :lol

Fake edit:actually RE2 have 89, but we all know that is just wrong, so that dosn't count.

Enigma777

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Bayonetta is sitting at 93 at Metacritic right now, another Kamiya game tha reaches 90+, will he ever do a game that dosn't reach 90? :lol :lol

Fake edit:actually RE2 have 89, but we all know that is just wrong, so that dosn't count.
Well... early reviews do score a bit a higher most of the time... I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.

Rez said:
lucky bastard!

this discussion on the discussion thread in the discussion thread discussion isn't something I want to continue to fan flames of, but I have to clarify this: typing out some extra text, or uploading another banner or two wouldn't have taken all that much more effort. So no, it wasn't half-assed. It was a conscious decision.

If anyone has any problems with it, I'd ask that they stop shitting up this thread and either make another thread relating directly to the issue (lol) of what an official thread should be, or PM me directly. I'd advise against both, because they both bore the shit out of me, but hey, I've seen people bitch about less.
You're the one who made it an issue with your posts about it, so enjoy the bed you made. You chose to make the thread about your statement about OT's, not about the game. Congrats, you got the attention you wanted.

remz

Enigma777 said:
Classy...

Anyways, with only 16 reviews, there's plenty of room for it to go down (or up). Especially when some of the smaller sites/publications get their hands on it.
Why would they be any different? If current scores are almost universal acclaim, I find it hard to believe other publications are going to rate it significantly lower, unless of course it's the PS3 version which has shown to be flawed.

What's the main beef with the game so far? That it's strange? Hardly a game breaker, in any review.

remz said:
Why would they be any different? If current scores are almost universal acclaim, I find it hard to believe other publications are going to rate it significantly lower, unless of course it's the PS3 version which has shown to be flawed.

What's the main beef with the game so far? That it's strange? Hardly a game breaker, in any review.

The 93 is for the 360 version, PS3 version is at 91 and that one could probably go down...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ign video review actually convinced me to buy the game. i really needed someone to lay out all the details about the dynamics of the combat, to describe the weapon upgrade system, to show that it wouldn't all be just zoomed out DMC combat, and so on. and they did a nice job of it.

ign: useful.

Ethereal

For those that were considering making the drive to Columbus, OH on a Bayonetta pilgrimage as a few mentioned, the Morse Road Best Buy was where myself and Ultron87 got our copies. He also checked the Taylor Crossing Best Buy and did not find any copies. You might consider calling although with Christmas insanity I doubt someone would go look for you.

I almost wish I had pre-ordered it from Gamestop so I could have walked over there and waved my street date broken copy in their faces as I cancelled my pre-order. Ah that would have been great

rvy

Banned
Bayonetta is the new Queen of action games, making other games in the genre feel redundant by comparison. Kratos, Dante and Ryu… eat your heart out because Bayonetta is here.

Cool?

So just out of curiosity I searched for this on Best Buy's website and every location around me (near Cincinnati) have it "in stock" and ready for pickup. It's really hard to tell if that just means the pre-order is available or the actual game. But it says "Available" and lets me add it to my cart for in-store pickup...

Shurs

Aske said:
The OP of an official thread can still be an great source of info for people who know nothing about a given game simply because they haven't bothered to click any of the pre-release hype threads. Not everyone has an ear to the ground regarding every big game release, and with a niche title like Bayonetta, everything we can do to encourage sales helps. The OP doesn't have to include pictures of the box art for every region, but a bit of info and a few choice screenshots might actually sell a few extra copies of the game.

I like the OP in theory, but on balance, I wish it had more zazz. If not for fans like me, then for potential fans who might finally click a Bayonetta thread and leave an instant later still not knowing what a Bayonetta is or why they should care.

Wow. Are you on Sega's payroll?

If you really want to help, you should start a few twitter accounts as different Bayonetta characters, then send messages from one character to another. It would be a great way for you to help Sega drum up some publicity and get the word out about the game.

Top Bottom