• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BBC] Actors demand action over 'disgusting' explicit video game scenes

Topher

Gold Member
Performers working in the games industry have spoken of their distress at being asked to work on explicit content without notice, including a scene featuring a sexual assault.

Sex scenes are common in modern games - and are often made by filming human actors who are then digitised into game characters.

But performers have told the BBC a culture of secrecy around projects - where scripts are often not shared until the last moment - means they frequently do not know in advance that scenes may involve intimate acts.
They describe feeling "shaken" and "upset" after acting them out.

Performing arts union Equity is demanding action from the industry - it has published guides on minimum pay, and working conditions in games, including on intimate or explicit scenes.

'I just found it disgusting'​

Jessica Jefferies is a professional casting director, who works mainly in video games and enjoys the medium.

Prior to that she was a motion capture performer - part of a small group who worked regularly for studios used by game developers.

Dressed in a skin-tight body suit, covered in markers, motion capture performers act-out the movements of characters in games on a large unfurnished set, where their motions are recorded digitally.

She said performers were often left in the dark about the nature of the game, or the scene, by developers.

"We'd get an email or a call from a studio saying we need you on these days for a shoot," she said.

"That was all the information we'd get."

Ms Jefferies told the BBC she was once asked to act out a scene with a male performer involving a sexual assault with no prior warning.

"I turned up and was told what I would be filming would be a graphic rape scene," she said.

"This act could be watched for as long or as little time as the player wanted through a window, and then a player would be able to shoot this character in the head.

"It was just purely gratuitous in my opinion."

She refused to act out the "disgusting" scene - which was made worse as she was the only female on set.

"There's no nudity involved, but its still an act and there's an intimacy in that act and also a violence in this situation," she said.

"So yes there may be a layer of Lycra between us, but you are still there and still having to truly immerse yourself in this scene."

In the end her concerns were listened to and the scene was not recorded.

Getty Images An actor - not included in the article - wears a motion capture suit

Actors use motion capture suits like this one when performing for video games (Ms Jeffries is not pictured)

But it reinforces her belief that performers should know in advance about explicit scenes so they don't have to "kick up a fuss" on set or feel pressure to do something which makes them feel uncomfortable.

Ms Jefferies was consulted by Equity in the development of their guidance which requires that when recording explicit or intimate scenes:
  • A summary of the story, scene breakdown and scripts should be distributed to all cast members in advance.
  • performers should be able to request a closed set where access is kept to a minimum.
  • a competent intimacy coordinator should be engaged.
She argues giving actors more information will help them deliver better performances and argues "there is an appetite for change".

Ms Jefferies stresses the guidelines are not trying to put boundaries on storytelling. In the ten years since that incident there have also been major improvements, she says - and "these guidelines are just to bring it even more in line with the best practices in the film and TV industry".

She says the studios she now works with are generally very open to being educated on good practices, and agree that treating people well leads to better performances.

'Incredibly uncomfortable'​

One voice actor and Equity member who supports the guidelines, speaking on condition of anonymity, also told the BBC of problems she had encountered.

She "absolutely loves the industry" but argues the limited information shared with actors before a performance needs to change.

"We have to sign NDAs [non-disclosure agreements], we're told almost nothing," she said.

In one recording for a major game she first learned it was explicit only when she turned up for work.

"This was actually a full-on sex scene," she said.

"I had to [vocally] match the scene and through the glass in the booth was the entire team, all male, watching me.

"It was excruciating... at that stage I had been in the games industry a while, and I had never felt so shaken".

She compared the experience to unexpectedly being required to perform for a premium rate phone-sex line.

"What upset me so much about the situation is I was put on the spot, nobody thought to ask me if I was ok with it, and nobody checked to see if I was ok afterwards," she said.

And as a freelancer, she feared being labelled as a troublemaker by refusing.

"Nobody has to justify why they're not hiring you," she said.

Like Ms Jefferies, she wants games to move closer to standards in film and TV.

'Getting it right'​

Rhiannon Bevan of game news site The Gamer has covered the steps last year's gaming blockbuster Baldur's Gate 3 took in dealing with explicit scenes as an example of a modern game "getting it right".

She says games are increasingly taking explicit scenes seriously "and not just using them for titillation".

But it came with the risk that performers may not be comfortable with the work.

Baldur's Gate 3 addressed this by employing intimacy co-ordinators - dedicated members of staff tasked with ensuring the well-being of performers in explicit scenes.

Its developer used one intimacy co-ordinator to look after performers voicing intimate scenes, while another looked after those who were also miming actions to be digitised into the game.

As well as intimate scenes, the Equity guidelines also cover the overuse of NDAs, safety during motion and performance capture, avoiding harmful vocal stress for artists and the protections around the use of artificial intelligence.

AI use is one of the key issues behind a continuing strike by games performers in the US.

UKIE, the trade body for the games industry, did not respond directly to the issue of the treatment of performers working on explicit material, but said in relation to Equity's guidelines that its focus "remains on fostering a supportive environment for all stakeholders in the UK video game sector, ensuring it remains the best place to create, play, and sell video games".

Last edited:

Comandr

But... The actors could refuse to do the part, right? No one has a gun to their heads. So at some point it becomes a question of moral integrity vs paycheck and.. it sounds like every one of these people chose paycheck but then felt like complaining about it later.

I don't feel like you get to have both. I don't agree that the scenes should be kept secret- it does feel like entrapment to an extent- but the actor always has the right to walk away from it.

StereoVsn

But... The actors could refuse to do the part, right? No one has a gun to their heads. So at some point it becomes a question of moral integrity vs paycheck and.. it sounds like every one of these people chose paycheck but then felt like complaining about it later.

I don't feel like you get to have both. I don't agree that the scenes should be kept secret- it does feel like entrapment to an extent- but the actor always has the right to walk away from it.
They have to sign up for the work and have no idea what they are doing till they get to the set.

It’s kind of late to refuse for the most part because there are probably contractual penalties built into the signed agreement.

In short, it’s BS.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Imagine not saying to Sofia Boutella in advance that she need to be completely naked 2 times in a row at almost exact same time in two terrible movies for ~2 min for no reason whatsoever (especially the first time).

WTF is wrong with this industry? This is absolutely immoral and unacceptable:messenger_pouting:

Comandr

They have to sign up for the work and have no idea what they are doing till they get to the set.

It’s kind of late to refuse for the most part because there are probably contractual penalties built into the signed agreement.

In short, it’s BS.
I don't disagree. But at this point it's just conjecture. Until we see the contract that says "The undersigned must do anything and everything requested of them by the director or directorial staff without question, under penalty of blah blah blah" then it's kind of a moot point. At some point, you have to understand - you are an actor. This is your job. You act. It might not be glamorous, it might not be pretty, but you were hired to act. So.. You have to take the good with the bad. You are welcome to not continue to do that if it makes you uncomfortable, but there may be consequences to doing so.

Banjo64

cumsessed

In short, it’s BS.
More likely they just don’t have the backbone to say ‘no thank you I’m not doing that’ or are in desperate need of the money. Contracts have to be enforceable and this wouldn’t be.

I don't disagree. But at this point it's just conjecture. Until we see the contract that says "The undersigned must do anything and everything requested of them by the director or directorial staff without question, under penalty of blah blah blah" then it's kind of a moot point. At some point, you have to understand - you are an actor. This is your job. You act. It might not be glamorous, it might not be pretty, but you were hired to act. So.. You have to take the good with the bad. You are welcome to not continue to do that if it makes you uncomfortable, but there may be consequences to doing so.

It would be human decency to let them know beforehand instead of springing it up on set where pressure on you will be at its highest.

Last edited:

Comandr

It would be human decency to let them know beforehand instead of springing it up on set where pressure on you will be at its highest.
I agree. The secret nature of the scenario is sleezy. That does not change the fact that if I was to be put on the spot like that in a situation I was extremely uncomfortable with, I'd just walk out. Come at me with your contract. I can't wait to see the look on the judge's face when my lawyer explains that I was hired to perform a role, not told about it, and then found out I was going to be an explicit rape victim and walked out when I learned that.

I guarantee the stink this would create surrounding the studio- the cost of litigation, damage to public image, etc- the studio heads would do anything to avoid that - So imagine what all the parties involved would do to avoid a case going to court over something like this.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I think that it would be in everyone's best interests to be upfront about these sort of expectations. The consequences for the studio is potentially having to redo the voice acting work with someone else because the one they had didn't want to voice out sexual acts. The consequences for the voice actor is now potentially having a reputation of leaving a job before it is done. That kind of thing can ruin a career simply by word of mouth.

At the same time, I think the voice actor or their agent should inquire about this sort of thing beforehand and never assume anything.

Comandr

I think that it would be in everyone's best interests to be upfront about these sort of expectations. The consequences for the studio is potentially having to redo the voice acting work with someone else because the one they had didn't want to voice out sexual acts. The consequences for the voice actor is now potentially having a reputation of leaving a job before it is done. That kind of thing can ruin a career simply by word of mouth.

At the same time, I think the voice actor or their agent should inquire about this sort of thing beforehand and never assume anything.
There is no denying that more transparency is better. Maybe it was the developer's fault for not clearly articulating what the actors would be doing. Maybe it was the actor/agent fault for not asking explicit questions regarding the character. If you refuse to tell me exactly what I'm going to be doing - well ... I'm going to be real sketch about taking this job; but that's me. If the studio refused to tell you details about the role you were performing and you were like ah well whatever and signed on anyway - that's on you.

StereoVsn

I agree. The secret nature of the scenario is sleezy. That does not change the fact that if I was to be put on the spot like that in a situation I was extremely uncomfortable with, I'd just walk out. Come at me with your contract. I can't wait to see the look on the judge's face when my lawyer explains that I was hired to perform a role, not told about it, and then found out I was going to be an explicit rape victim and walked out when I learned that.

I guarantee the stink this would create surrounding the studio- the cost of litigation, damage to public image, etc- the studio heads would do anything to avoid that - So imagine what all the parties involved would do to avoid a case going to court over something like this.
The issue is that you can get a stigma that you are “difficult to work with” and have issues finding more jobs.

At the end the problem is that the party hiring needs to be upfront with that shit.

Comandr

The issue is that you can get a stigma that you are “difficult to work with” and have issues finding more jobs.

At the end the problem is that the party hiring needs to be upfront with that shit.
Again, don't disagree. But it is the actor/signing party's responsibility to have a clear understanding of what they are signing up for. If they don't have a clear understanding of it, they either 1) shouldn't do it or 2) not complain that it wasn't clear later on because they didn't ascertain that information beforehand.

If you buy a car and don't read the fine print or ask clarifying questions and then find out your payment is $2000 a month because you have a 16% interest rate - that's your fault for agreeing to it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its not really a studio problem, its a casting/direction problem problem.

Of course the performers aren't allowed to know what the game is. They are typically referred to just by code names internally for obvious reasons.

However.
None of that precludes the casting director knowing the GENERAL NATURE of such scenes and passing them along to the performers. To be honest I'd be very surprised if this wasn't the case in order to cover circumstances where specific skills and training are necessary.
Naturally the actors for non-key roles aren't going to get script pages in advance; how much prep do they really need for a couple of days work?

So, long story short its another case of the legacy media trying to place blame on new media for failings in THEIR infrastructure. This is not a "games" problem, in fact to me it seem more like the BBC throwing shade in the hopes that it distracts people from the latest scandal about noncery in their organization. Cunts.

StereoVsn

Again, don't disagree. But it is the actor/signing party's responsibility to have a clear understanding of what they are signing up for. If they don't have a clear understanding of it, they either 1) shouldn't do it or 2) not complain that it wasn't clear later on because they didn't ascertain that information beforehand.

If you buy a car and don't read the fine print or ask clarifying questions and then find out your payment is $2000 a month because you have a 16% interest rate - that's your fault for agreeing to it.
Well, no. It’s the fault of the scammy dealer primarily. Yes, you should have known better but let’s not victim blame.

Same as here. The issue is complete lack of transparency. Everything else is the result and that’s just not good.

DaGwaphics

Does this particular mocap need to be done by the primary actors? If no, they could just reach into other fields of entertainment to grab some performers that wouldn't take issue with the process. 🤷‍♂️

Without a doubt it seems a little weird for this type of thing to be sprung on actors that weren't expecting it.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
What I mean is that the whole story sounds fake. Of course, the practice, IF TRUE, is lawsuit material, but I'm not buying it. Moreover, being a story by the BBC with a clickbaity headline.

And the "all the men watching me" come on now. No girls in the team? Very believable, indeed.

The cherry on top: a pic with Asian people. I'm just missing some mention to the far right.

Topher

Gold Member
There is no denying that more transparency is better. Maybe it was the developer's fault for not clearly articulating what the actors would be doing. Maybe it was the actor/agent fault for not asking explicit questions regarding the character. If you refuse to tell me exactly what I'm going to be doing - well ... I'm going to be real sketch about taking this job; but that's me. If the studio refused to tell you details about the role you were performing and you were like ah well whatever and signed on anyway - that's on you.

I'm not sure that anyone is really at "fault" here. There should be some protocol for this and clearly there isn't any right now. Isn't this sort of thing why SAG-AFTRA exists?

Last edited:

Comandr

I'm not sure that anyone is really at "fault" here. There should be some protocol for this and clearly there isn't any right now. Isn't this sort of thing why SAG-AFTRA exists?
Isn't there? No fault implies there's no victims, and it sounds like several women felt victimized in this scenario. Someone was at fault for not communicating one way or another, protocol or not.

Stuart360

I feel its wrong not to tell them beforehand (if true), but at the same time some of those testimonies seem a ltitle over the top. Its not like they were making a film or TV show and were told to do an actual nude sex scene or soemthing.
Also the cringy moaning about the motion capture body suits they have to wear, the same body suits that have existed from the start of motion capture, yet they make it sound like they are skin tight suits purposely made for people to drool over them.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

FtHmw_OXsAIJNxS.jpg:large

-

But jokes aside, the secrecy thing is really dumb.

We, as gamers, are able to know the extent of violence of sexual content a game may have months before release via ESRB / BBFC ratings etc.

Why hide from the actors you're paying to perform in the game, what kind of things they may be asked to act out.

If someone walks away from the project for something like this, that just incurs possible delay on the game.

Z O N E

Actors/Actresses should know before hand any scene they will be doing.

"I turned up and was told what I would be filming would be a graphic rape scene," she said.

"This act could be watched for as long or as little time as the player wanted through a window, and then a player would be able to shoot this character in the head.

I highly doubt this is your standard game on Xbox/PS/Nintendo or even PC.

I don't know a single game where a rape scene that you can watch is even in the game or hell, even allowed.

near

Gold Member
Jessica Jefferies - “In the ten years since that incident there have also been major improvements…”

The second anonymous person mentioned in the article is complaining about doing intimate voice actor work and not motion capture.

I feel like the article is hyperbole and not quite reflective of how most game devs tend to operate today.

Baldur's Gate 3 addressed this by employing intimacy co-ordinators - dedicated members of staff tasked with ensuring the well-being of performers in explicit scenes.

Larian Studios be like:

B9cKR5c.jpeg

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ms Jefferies was consulted by Equity in the development of their guidance which requires that when recording explicit or intimate scenes:
  • A summary of the story, scene breakdown and scripts should be distributed to all cast members in advance.
  • performers should be able to request a closed set where access is kept to a minimum.
  • a competent intimacy coordinator should be engaged.

I agree with the first point, but the two other points are bullshit. They're treating an actor/actress doing a voice recording in a studio or doing the motion capture of a rape/sex scene (while being fully dressed) as if this is exactly the same as filming a sex scene while being completely naked in front of the entire movie crew. You're play acting, it's not the real thing.

Performers working in the games industry have spoken of their distress at being asked to work on explicit content without notice, including a scene featuring a sexual assault.

Sex scenes are common in modern games - and are often made by filming human actors who are then digitised into game characters.

But performers have told the BBC a culture of secrecy around projects - where scripts are often not shared until the last moment - means they frequently do not know in advance that scenes may involve intimate acts.
They describe feeling "shaken" and "upset" after acting them out.

of course, i think performers should be informed beforehand. anyone involved in doing anything should know what there getting themselves into...

that said, serious question: how many games have you played that included a scene featuring a sexual assault? or even a sex scene that involved an 'intimate act'? because i know that, aside from maybe tlou2 (which'd be something of a stretch), i personally haven't played any...

arguing for the creation of standards for performers being better informed is fine. but, while 'sex scenes' may be becoming more common in games, 'intimate/explicit' content has yet to even begin to appear, never mind become common, & giving the impression that this's some kind of existing major issue is i'm thinking just a bit of over-exaggeration simply getting tossed in to make for a more convincing case...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Actors/Actresses should know before hand any scene they will be doing.

I highly doubt this is your standard game on Xbox/PS/Nintendo or even PC.

I don't know a single game where a rape scene that you can watch is even in the game or hell, even allowed.

All these interviews are part of a union campaign demanding higher compensation just like they're doing in the US right now. Of course they'll trot out the sob stories.

Top Bottom