• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Would you let your children watch you give birth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Would you let your children watch you give birth?

_90720901_mediaitem90720899.jpg

Daisy Boo (far left) and Poppy Honey (far right) lined up for a family snapshot outside London's Portland Hospital after playing their part in their brother's birth.

Jamie Oliver and his wife Jools announced the birth of their fifth child over social media. But along with the pictures of their new son came the news that the couple's two eldest daughters were there to watch their mum give birth.

The TV chef described the event as "amazing to witness, very very emotional" while his wife told of how the two girls, 14-year-old Poppy Honey and 12-year-old Daisy Boo, cut the cord.

To many people, the idea of inviting children to watch childbirth may sound odd, if not a little extreme. But according to midwives an increasing number of parents want their older offspring to be part of the event.

Parents clearly happy to boost the numbers at the bedside argue that it helps the family to bond, prevents older children becoming jealous of the new baby, and hopefully passes on a positive message about the process of giving birth.

In the US, sibling involvement has been a growing craze, with parenting blogs giving tips on how to make it a joyous occasion and Youtube videos documenting the whole experience.

And the idea is gaining popularity in the UK. Mum Viviene Pettitt told the BBC that her four-year-old daughter Jessica loved being at the birth of her baby brother Luke.

"It was amazing and she was absolutely brilliant. She had a dummy and a 'blankie' with her and she gave up her 'blankie' to help with the birth. She was the first to hold Luke."

Viviene said she prepared Jessica by showing her some online footage so she knew some of what to expect.

"[Luke] was quite a big baby as well. He was 11lbs and there were paramedics everywhere.
"If she [Jessica] doesn't become a midwife I would be surprised."

Other parents are more sceptical. "My birth and the aftermath were definitely not child-friendly!" one mum posted on Twitter.

Child and family psychologist Dr Mair Edwards says it all depends on what kind of delivery it is.

"If the birth is going well and everything is going to plan then it can be a fantastic experience," she says.

"The problem is if it isn't a smooth birth there can be panic and that can be really traumatic. Some fathers say they can be quite traumatised by the sight of their partner in labour.

"As a mum you've also got to be comfortable with people watching you. It's a very personal choice."

It's certainly true that childbirth has become more of a family experience. Jump back a few decades and you would struggle to find an expectant father at the bedside for the birth of their children. Now 90% are there to support their partners, the National Childbirth Trust (NCT) reports.

I'll be honest-I kind of regret being in the room when my child was born. It's pretty traumatic. :/

I'm glad I was there for my wife, but seeing her in that pain was just awful.

Mesoian

Hell naw.

I had a friend who's mother made her watch her little brothers being born. Messed her up for a good long minute.

CoolOff

I think it's actually a fairly innocent concept, and it might even have some good effects on the kids.

Still wouldn't be comfortable with it though.

I believe that a kid doesn't need to see the parent's genital

So have them stay next to their mother then.

DJ_Lae

My oldest was there for the birth of our second, she was almost 3. Wasn't intentional, though, my wife's labour came early and was short so it was a rush to the hospital.

Don't really see an issue with it, although witnessing three I can't say birth is an entirely pleasant process.

I can understand why the husband being there makes sense. It takes two, to grow a baby, even though it can only physically come out of one of them. Kids, are not really a part of that process. Neither are the grandparents, the dogwalker or the next door neighbor.
I think giving birth is a personal thing and not a spectacle. It's not some kodak moment you can frame and think back on as you eat placenta cake and shit.

Tarkus

A kid isn't ready to handle the half liter to liter of blood that is lost with vaginal delivery.

She delivered an 11 pound baby? She probably had significant lacerations. Not something kids should see.

I plan to adopt partly because nothing about pregnancy or childbirth sounds appealing. So no, I wouldn't traumatize my children by having them watch their siblings be born.

Izuna

Banned
I mean... You shouldn't insist, but if they are curious there's nothing wrong I guess... I would rather the mother gets privacy though.

mrkgoo

depends how old i guess. not one for me though.

Those names aren't so bad if you end up just shortening them to Poppy and Daisy.

My Mother in Law was in the room-and she cut the cord. They asked me to do it, but I would have passed out. Shit's gross.

Whole things gross. One of the nurses had to matrix dodge out the way of some explosive... baby... gunk before the head came. If my wife wasn't squeezing my hand so hard I would have lost it lol.

Keri

I'm going to go with no. Even with an epidural I was in a good amount of pain and afterwards I hemorrhaged like crazy. I was surrounded by medical personnel, bleeding profusely and writhing in pain. It was traumatic enough for my husband to watch. I can't imagine a kid seeing their parent in such agony. If it's a smooth natural birth with minimal pain and no complications, I guess I can understand wanting to involve older children, but you never really know for sure how these things will go, so I wouldn't ever risk it.

I like that the question posed is, "would you let your children watch you give birth" instead of the reality of life where the question would be "would you force your children to watch you give birth". Because no child actually wants to see that shit. No adult does either. Gross. Even if they said they wanted to they couldn't be prepared for what they will see.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I watched my two younger sisters be born. Dont regret it for a second, I am grateful my parents let me see that. And then when my wife gave birth, I was happy to be there.

I was 14 and watched my sister give birth to her first son. There's nothing traumatic about it. It's like death, it happens all around us. No need to hide unpleasant facts of life. Plus it was the older girls, who have already gone through puberty. They're not oblivious to womanhood.

Media

I wouldn't want my kids to watch simply because I wouldn't want them to see me in that much pain. And if something went wrong, it would be awful for them.

I was there for both. It's definitely an experience. Don't know how to answer this..seems a little..odd?

I was barely comfortable with even my husband being in there, even the second time.

My kids? Noooooooope.

HA! I was eating pizza watching the finals for my first..had to catch it because the doctor was late coming in and was still putting his gloves on. Best. Day. Ever. Go Rockets..

I have had a love of the most extreme horror and gore films around from an early age, I have watched nearly every war/cartel/insurgent/ISIS/crime videos and yet when my wife gave birth it was a bit stomach turning. Not sure if I'd want my child there to watch that. Not going to judge anybody that chooses it though.

However, dumb ass fucking names are a different story.

finowns

I have had a love of the most extreme horror and gore films around from an early age, I have watched nearly every war/cartel/insurgent/ISIS/crime videos and yet when my wife gave birth it was a bit stomach turning. Not sure if I'd want my child there to watch that. Not going to judge anybody that chooses it though.

However, dumb ass fucking names are a different story.

So she's giving birth and you're like 'this is going to top that beheading I watched last night!' and then you choked.. weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom