• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

PBY

Banned
Grilled some ribeye and burgers last night, thinking about my next bbq adventure.

I've done a few butts already, might try some ribs next time.

Tips for the ribeye? Can never get a good crust.

Always seems like its grey --> black to the point that it seems burnt?

Chris R

Depending on the thickness, you might not be able to get the doneness you want on a grill. I had to get it as hot as I could, and then sear/rotate between two clean bits then flip and sear/rotate again. After that it was into a foil pouch for 5 minutes and then rested for 10. Nice and medium rare, but if the steak was thinner it could have been med-well or well done. It's a eye thing I guess.

phanphare

Banned

I'm partial to high heat searing in a cast iron skillet and then finishing in the oven but have also had success with 2-zone grilling

actually one time I got all my coals heated in a chimney starter and then I put a grate on top of it and seared each steak individually on top of the chimney starter. then I poured the coals in the grill and finished the steaks on the grill. the crust on those steaks was epic.

make sure the surface of your steak is as dry as possible, that'll help

It isn't the exact same but it's very similar.

Ok but similar isn't the same.

You can use two types of liquid smoke. Also at smoking temperature the fat dripping is not going to smoke. As for the rest of your paragraph it seems you attribute it to a certain je ne sais pas, which I obviously can't argue. Once again, I agree the process is different but my argument is that the end result is a product similar enough that it should be considered within the same genre of food.

If the process isn't the same then it's not the same food. I mean there are laws all over the world over this very thing. It can not be Kobe beef unless it comes from Kobe prefecture. It can't be Iberico Ham unless it comes from Spain and made with black Iberian pigs. Even if you took American pigs, and treated them the same way, processed the same way, it's not Iberico Ham.

If you're Sous Viding something it's not BBQing it, it's Sous Viding it.

Let's say I opened a BBQ restaurant and served pulled pork, brisket, and ribs, with a homemade rub and BBQ sauce. Like in most restaurants you don't see me cook it, only what comes out to the table. Is that BBQ? If you later learn that I used sous vide, an oven, a blowtorch and other tools but never a smoker, is it no longer BBQ? What would you call it?

It is no longer BBQ, and in fact South Carolina passed a "truth in BBQ law". Where places are REQUIRED by law to disclose to customers if their BBQ is smoked with wood or gas, violators face fines and Jail time. In fact there's a shit ton of people pushing for the same law in Texas.

I am all for authenticity, but it has a time and a place. If a new method to cook a food comes out that is either superior or more convenient I don't think it should be shunned. I know there are differences between sous vide and traditional smoking. I'm not arguing that there aren't. I'm arguing that it is similar enough that the method shouldn't be shunned and the two are so similar that they should fall within the "BBQ" umbrella.

For good measure here's a video of meathead working on indoor ribs.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/amazing-ribs-with-meathead-part-ii-exploring-indoor-barbecue

I never shunned your Sous vide, infact I said specifically "I don't think there's anything wrong with cooking ribs that way and I bet they're tasty as hell, but it's not BBQ." That's not shunning it. That's just saying its not BBQ. You can simulate BBQ flavors and the effects of it, but its not BBQ.

People, specially when it comes to food and how the process used to get to the final product are very specific. You can age a steak a couple of ways, and each one is called something specific and places are very specific on their method used. You can say they're similar enough to just call it aging, but people don't agree with that. Dry aging is one thing and wet aging another.

Barbecue means something particular, and while Sous Viding may get you very similar results, it is not the same thing.

Look go to any BBQ competition and pull out the Sous Vide, see if you get disqualified or if they agree with you.

PBY

Banned
Depending on the thickness, you might not be able to get the doneness you want on a grill. I had to get it as hot as I could, and then sear/rotate between two clean bits then flip and sear/rotate again. After that it was into a foil pouch for 5 minutes and then rested for 10. Nice and medium rare, but if the steak was thinner it could have been med-well or well done. It's a eye thing I guess.

I'm partial to high heat searing in a cast iron skillet and then finishing in the oven but have also had success with 2-zone grilling

actually one time I got all my coals heated in a chimney starter and then I put a grate on top of it and seared each steak individually on top of the chimney starter. then I poured the coals in the grill and finished the steaks on the grill. the crust on those steaks was epic.

make sure the surface of your steak is as dry as possible, that'll help
Awesome, thanks.

the way I'd been doing it was on the pit barrel cooker actually. Might sear first, then throw it on the cooker.

ColdPizza

Banned
It is no longer BBQ, and in fact South Carolina passed a "truth in BBQ law". Where places are REQUIRED by law to disclose to customers if their BBQ is smoked with wood or gas, violators face fines and Jail time. In fact there's a shit ton of people pushing for the same law in Texas.

Yeah, you don't mess with a Carolinian's bbq

2 things I can think of right off the bat. Salt your steak HARD, make it look like it snowed big time on the steak, and let that sit (I personally let it sit on the counter) for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This gives the salt time to pull protein rich moisture to the surface of the steak, where it deposits those proteins, and then for the moisture to return into the steak with the salt. As your steak sits, you'll see it'll get really moist on the surface, it'll look wet like it just got rained on, but then it'll dry again. (also pad your steak dry before salting it) It's those proteins that when they get blazed with the high heat that form a good crust on your steak and give that amazing flavor.

Don't move your steaks a lot either. If say you're cooking your ribeye for 3 minutes a side, let it sit there and not move for that 3 minutes.

ColdPizza

Banned
2 things I can think of right off the bat. Salt your steak HARD, make it look like it snowed big time on the steak, and let that sit (I personally let it sit on the counter) for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This gives the salt time to pull protein rich moisture to the surface of the steak, where it deposits those proteins, and then for the moisture to return into the steak with the salt. As your steak sits, you'll see it'll get really moist on the surface, it'll look wet like it just got rained on, but then it'll dry again. (also pad your steak dry before salting it) It's those proteins that when they get blazed with the high heat that form a good crust on your steak and give that amazing flavor.

Don't move your steaks a lot either. If say you're cooking your ribeye for 3 minutes a side, let it sit there and not move for that 3 minutes.

I disagree with the last sentence...Kenji alt has debunked this. In fact, he'll actually argue that flipping a steak more frequently will produce a more even cook.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/...urgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/...-salting-charcoal-technique-resting-tips.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

AmazingRibs.com also has an article on frequent flipping: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, you don't mess with a Carolinian's bbq

giphy.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I got your steak heresy right here:

I have a Philips air fryer, and wouldn't you know, it will sear and perfectly cook a ribeye, medium rare, in 10 minutes, no truning, no mess.

You just have to remove it from the basket to rest, or it will keep cooking.

Weirdly it ends up with the same sort of melty-tender you get with sous vide, but the flavor and carbonization of a grill.

zbarron

I go with a thick steak, cooked slowly and reverse seared. Drying the outside is a must. For the searing method a very high heat like a charcoal chimney is great. I also like using a cast iron skillet and a torch.
Ok but similar isn't the same.

If the process isn't the same then it's not the same food. I mean there are laws all over the world over this very thing. It can not be Kobe beef unless it comes from Kobe prefecture. It can't be Iberico Ham unless it comes from Spain and made with black Iberian pigs. Even if you took American pigs, and treated them the same way, processed the same way, it's not Iberico Ham.

If you're Sous Viding something it's not BBQing it, it's Sous Viding it.

I never shunned your Sous vide, infact I said specifically "I don't think there's anything wrong with cooking ribs that way and I bet they're tasty as hell, but it's not BBQ." That's not shunning it. That's just saying its not BBQ. You can simulate BBQ flavors and the effects of it, but its not BBQ.

People, specially when it comes to food and how the process used to get to the final product are very specific. You can age a steak a couple of ways, and each one is called something specific and places are very specific on their method used. You can say they're similar enough to just call it aging, but people don't agree with that. Dry aging is one thing and wet aging another.

Barbecue means something particular, and while Sous Viding may get you very similar results, it is not the same thing.

Look go to any BBQ competition and pull out the Sous Vide, see if you get disqualified or if they agree with you.
I agree. I mispoke when I said the same.

As for the examples you are changing the main ingredient.

That's a cool fact about SC. I didn't know that. It reminds me of Germany's beer purity laws, which I understand but am against overall, since while it keeps the beer styles pure and authentic, there is a lot less room for experimentation.

By shunning I meant not considering it BBQ. Which is what BBQ competitions do I agree, and I understand why but by their rules or at least the KCBS' it states under causes for disqualification"h. Use of gas or other auxiliary heat sources inside the cooking device." So by their standards if you're using gas it's not BBQ. I prefer a more open definition. We'll agree to disagree. It's cool. There's room for multiple opinions.

Bottom line is I feel it deserves a place in the discussion. The cooking method is only one part of it. The meat, the rub, the sauce, and the serving can all be done the same, and everyone can benefit from the discussion.

zbarron

I just bought a pork butt tonight, I removed the fat cap and it's coated in salt and Memphis Dust and I'm going to try to smoke it tomorrow. The only problem is the weather says it will be between 31-42 degrees during the time I am planning.

I will be using my Weber Kettle and I would prefer to use the snake/fuse method but I wanted to know from anyone here with experience if they think that won't get hot enough. I plan on using Stubbs briquettes either in 2x2x1 or 2x2x2 formation started with 12 fully lit with 4 fist size chunks of cherry wood on top. I know pork butt is forgiving so I am less concerned about the grill getting too hot and more concerned with it not getting hot enough.

GiJoccin

anyone have experience smoking lamb sirloin roasts?

the butcher near me had them last time as a smaller like 3 pound lamb portion, and i roasted it with good result, figured i'd try smoking it

ColdPizza

Banned
I just bought a pork butt tonight, I removed the fat cap and it's coated in salt and Memphis Dust and I'm going to try to smoke it tomorrow. The only problem is the weather says it will be between 31-42 degrees during the time I am planning.

I will be using my Weber Kettle and I would prefer to use the snake/fuse method but I wanted to know from anyone here with experience if they think that won't get hot enough. I plan on using Stubbs briquettes either in 2x2x1 or 2x2x2 formation started with 12 fully lit with 4 fist size chunks of cherry wood on top. I know pork butt is forgiving so I am less concerned about the grill getting too hot and more concerned with it not getting hot enough.

It will most likely get hot enough, but your fuel will burn faster. Contingency plan is to keep adding more fuel or pull after 3-4 hours and finish in oven

zbarron

It will most likely get hot enough, but your fuel will burn faster. Contingency plan is to keep adding more fuel or pull after 3-4 hours and finish in oven

Thanks. The pork is on the weber now. The thermometer on the grill says it's about 250*F, but it's still using the initially lit charcoals and has barely worked it's way into the snake so I'll have to see if it stays like this.

Edit: still going steady at 250 and we have thin blue smoke. It's strong though. I can almost taste the smoke in my mouth.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. The pork is on the weber now. The thermometer on the grill says it's about 250*F, but it's still using the initially lit charcoals and has barely worked it's way into the snake so I'll have to see if it stays like this.

Edit: still going steady at 250 and we have thin blue smoke. It's strong though. I can almost taste the smoke in my mouth.

How did you end up setting your top and bottom vents?

Sorry GAF.

Just put a joint of pork in a pressure cooker with some liquid smoke after a night in the fridge with my dry rub.

It will be ready in 90 minutes and I'll pull it apart with blunt spoons

Rowena

Neo Member
Anyone have any recommendations on a Smoker? I figure I'd spend my summer trying to perfect a nice smoked brisket as a new hobby. I know my way around a grill but smokers not so much ( I'm sure I can learn quickly) I have a 800$ budget. Anyone can recommend a quality smoker?

zbarron

How did you end up setting your top and bottom vents?
Right now both the top vents and bottom vents are about 3/4 open. The grate level temperature is 225*F and the initial coals are mostly done. It's working it's way along the snake right now and has consumed one of my 4 wood chunks. I set the snake in a 2x2 formation and it is a little over a half circle long. Before starting I moved the grill to the lower level entrance which is under the deck and surrounded by stone and earth. It's not getting sun but it's protected from the wind.
No bark tho. Enjoy anyway.
For the sake of bark I'm going to try letting it stall and not wrapping it. I hope it's ready in time for dinner. Mine is a small butt at about four and a half pounds.

zbarron

I'm starting to fear I didn't put enough rub on. The meat has been on for about 3 hours, and it's a somewhat shiny red. I know it will darken more with time but I fear with such a smooth surface it won't form a good bark. Am I worrying over nothing? If there anything that can be done at this late stage?

Here's my thermometer setup.
26217645982_cab69d8209_b.jpg

I had a leftover thermometer from my last smoker and when setup like this it gives me grate level temps. The only bad thing is I need to lift the lid to check it. Luckily with the snake method it's stable enough where I can get away with checking every hour or more.

Here's a better view of the surface.
25707338603_1114fa3b29_b.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
I've been through this. It's not the amount of rub. Sadly for smaller cuts bark won't form unless you're willing to go higher heat.

zbarron

I've been through this. It's not the amount of rub. Sadly for smaller cuts bark won't form unless you're willing to go higher heat.
That sucks. The color is definitely looking darker now but it is still smooth and not rough. Then again that's how some prefer it. I'll see tonight how it turns out.

You were right when you said I'd go through my fuel faster than normal. I ran out a little bit ago and now it's in the oven on the rack with foil on the rack beneath it to catch drips. Currently it's in the stall.

Thanks for the help. I'm so excited to taste it, and now it's filling the house with it's smell.

It's all in the reverse sear. I also dry brine it for a couple hours in the fridge.

And try mashing some whole black peppercorn and using that with kosher salt as the rub.

I'd buy a Slow n Sear if they didn't cost $90... I know it's quality steel, just seems overly expensive for what it actually is.
It's soooo worth it if you don't have a dedicated smoker. Actually I don't know what your alternative would be for smoking.

ColdPizza

Banned
That sucks. The color is definitely looking darker now but it is still smooth and not rough. Then again that's how some prefer it. I'll see tonight how it turns out.

You were right when you said I'd go through my fuel faster than normal. I ran out a little bit ago and now it's in the oven on the rack with foil on the rack beneath it to catch drips. Currently it's in the stall.

Thanks for the help. I'm so excited to taste it, and now it's filling the house with it's smell.

No problem. Happy to help. I've done my share of smoking in cold temps.

zbarron

Well it's done and it looks a lot better now. Now that the stall is over the surface isn't wet and looks right.
25708568854_7c0b787ea5_b.jpg

This is what it looked like at slicing temperature. I wanted to take it to pulling temperature so I kept cooking it until I could remove the bone easily and twist a fork in it with little resistance.
Now it's resting and I'll shred it right before dinner.

I'll edit with pulled pictures.
Edit:
25710047584_7ff92f7988_b.jpg

It had a great smoke ring and a flavorful bark.

26042042140_c2b62c4a69_z.jpg
26248666861_68c631f696_z.jpg

I also made a corn bread and a quick pickled red onion.

zbarron

Mind sharing the recipe for that cornbread? Looks really good!

1 large egg
1/3 cup milk (I used whole)
1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix (lol)

The secret is using preheated cast iron. My iron was already hot since I had it in the oven with the pork to help regulate the temperature and then left it in while it preheated to 400*F. I also mixed the 3 ingredients 5-10 minutes before throwing it in the skillet, which I've heard helps and has always given me great results but I've never done side by side comparisons.

My wife bought me a Chargriller Smokin Champ for my birthday!

Going to smoke my first set of ribs tomorrow. Been looking at a lot of tutorials online and think I got the process down okay.

Rub, wrap, refrigerate, get the smoker to 250, mop it every hour, wrap it in foil after 3, finish it with sauce.

Also smoking a few fatties too, wrapped in bacon. I'm so fucking excited. Tomorrow is my birthday too.

MRSA

Banned
Thinking of building a Weber Smokey Mountain Mini with one of the Smokey Joes I have laying around. Gotta find a pot and the will to build.

MRSA

Banned

Lump charcoal for anything high heat, like said earlier, if you have a small grill grate you can throw that over your charcoal chimney or shit, even grill the steaks directly on the coals.

If not just make sure the surface of the steak is as dry as possible, I use my Weber Q1200 for grilling steaks, by the time my chimney is ready my steaks are halfway done on my Q. I guess that's the benefit of having a gas grill.

JaY P.

Just wanted to give a heads up to BBQGAF. Kingsford blue on sale this weekend at Home Depot. 2-18 lbs bags for $10. I got myself 12 bags which should last me the year. My Webber smokey mountain will be busy this summer.

Ka01Nyo.jpg

Irobot82

Hey guys, I bought one of those Ivation's thermometers from Skymall, it came in the other day and I am using it right now to smoke my brisket. First time on the brisket. I've only ever done ribs, pulled pork and sausages.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk (I used whole)
1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix (lol)

The secret is using preheated cast iron. My iron was already hot since I had it in the oven with the pork to help regulate the temperature and then left it in while it preheated to 400*F. I also mixed the 3 ingredients 5-10 minutes before throwing it in the skillet, which I've heard helps and has always given me great results but I've never done side by side comparisons.

Thanks, looks easy enough!

zbarron

Did this outside in the 30 degree weather today. Finished in the oven at 225 for a bit at the end because it started snowing.

Nice. What setup did you use with charcoal and vents? Also how did your bark come out? Mine had good flavor but the natural hardness from it seemed almost out of place mixed in with the soft juicy pork.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. What setup did you use with charcoal and vents? Also how did your bark come out? Mine had good flavor but the natural hardness from it seemed almost out of place mixed in with the soft juicy pork.

It was ~ 3lbs boneless. 2x2 fuse method, covering a little more than half of the 22" grill, and a couple large piles of wood chips at about the 1/3 and 2/3 marks of the fuse.

Struggled getting up to temp at the beginning, because I started with only 6 lit coals like I do during the summer. Lit some more shortly after and then from that point on held at around 250 the entire time. Bottom and top vents were about 1/2 open once I got up to temp.

I had the same situation with the bark. Ended up collecting the bark pieces and giving them a finer chop, and then mixed them back in.

Looks good.
Thanks. Used zbarron's information from the previous day as the basis for making it work in the cold. Might cause me to do more cooking in that 20-30 degree weather next fall/winter. Helped that I beat the snow last night.

Top Bottom