• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bear drinks 36 cans of beer at Washington state park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.bakersfield.com/24hour/nation/story/1581416p-9185950c.html

BAKER LAKE, Wash. (AP) - Rain-eeeeer .... Bear?
When state Fish and Wildlife agents recently found a black bear passed out on the lawn of Baker Lake Resort, there were some clues scattered nearby - dozens of empty cans of Rainier Beer.

The bear apparently got into campers' coolers and used his claws and teeth to puncture the cans. And not just any cans.

"He drank the Rainier and wouldn't drink the Busch beer," said Lisa Broxson, bookkeeper at the campground and cabins resort east of Mount Baker.

Fish and Wildlife enforcement Sgt. Bill Heinck said the bear did try one can of Busch, but ignored the rest.

"He didn't like that (Busch) and consumed, as near as we can tell, about 36 cans of Rainier."

A wildlife agent tried to chase the bear from the campground but the animal just climbed a tree to sleep it off for another four hours. Agents finally herded the bear away, but it returned the next morning.

Agents then used a large, humane trap to capture it for relocation, baiting the trap with the usual: doughnuts, honey and, in this case, two open cans of Rainier. That did the trick.

"This is a new one on me," Heinck said. "I've known them to get into cans, but nothing like this. And it definitely had a preference."

aoi tsuki

Bears climb trees?! Fuck, i was in the woods a couple weeks ago, drinking and taking pictures, and i saw a bear in the distance. i always figured i could just climb a tree if i couldn't safely get away. Glad i found this out now.

yoshifumi

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
Bears climb trees?! Fuck, i was in the woods a couple weeks ago, drinking and taking pictures, and i saw a bear in the distance. i always figured i could just climb a tree if i couldn't safely get away. Glad i found this out now.

i almost walked into a bear last week. luckily i was with a bunch of people so we scared it.

i took a picture but it was kind of blurry

cal03.jpg

Ripclawe

Banned
aoi tsuki said:

they can also run for short distances(meaning longer than you can) at 35 mph.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That's fine. If you stick a twig in an enraged bear's nostril, it'll be your friend forever and not murder/death/kill you.

Brannon

It's okay, bears are mostly soft. As long as you can ignore the slashing claws against your flesh and the gnawing, scraping teeth against your skull, you can hug a bear all day long...

Cuz bears need huggin' too.

Loki

Count of Concision
Ripclawe said:
they can also run for short distances(meaning longer than you can) at 35 mph.

Yeah-- if you come upon a bear and it gives chase, you're supposed to run downhill, because a bear's front legs are shorter than its hind legs, and as a result it has to turn sideways to run downhill (I'm drawing upon my vast repository of bear trivia gleaned from too much Discovery channel when I was younger :p). If there IS NO downhill where you are, well, either create a downhill (dig a hole really fast ;)), or, well...it was nice knowing you. :D

bjork

I played Oregon Trail 3 the other day at my grandmother's house... the bear mauled the black guy in my wagon party. :(

bjork

Boogie9IGN said:
Hahahaha

Hunting in that game was fun as Hell

This little video clip came up and he was like, "AINT GOT NO MEAT", all pissed off. Then he goes, "Better load up the shotgun."

So I figured, "hell, if I kill this bear, that'll be a lot of meat."

He got pissed off and started clawing at the screen, and it said J-Bo or whatever his name was, got mauled. Then he died shortly after. :(

Boogie9IGN

bjork said:
This little video clip came up and he was like, "AINT GOT NO MEAT", all pissed off. Then he goes, "Better load up the shotgun."

So I figured, "hell, if I kill this bear, that'll be a lot of meat."

He got pissed off and started clawing at the screen, and it said J-Bo or whatever his name was, got mauled. Then he died shortly after. :(

I didn't know J-Bo was a popular name back in the 1800s

way more

"He drank the Rainier and wouldn't drink the Busch beer," said Lisa Broxson, bookkeeper at the campground and cabins resort east of Mount Baker.
That sounds like my kind of bear.
Around where I live there was a story of a women who was attacked by a bear but kept him at bay by kicking it's head after she climbed a treee. Or maybe it was a couger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom