• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

oDCwYAM.jpg

Got my Election Night beers all sorted and in the fridge. Looking forward to that 2010 Pappy's very much.

I just have some regular stuff for today. Did think about pulling out some Abyss, but going to wait.

Did get a nice big bottle of bourbon though. Right now just enjoying a Born Yesterday

riotous

Banned
If you have the Cacao nibs with Coconut in it, it's infected :(

Opened mine a month ago and was so disappointed. I heard they refund you though if you bring in the bottle, empty or not. Might just do it if they're still honoring that.

It's the regular; and I'm 1500 odd miles from the brewery so no bottle refund for me.

LOL, might crack it tonight actually.

Although I think I have at least one 2008 beer in my stash; in honor of Obama might drink those.

What would be a good starter beer for someone who hates bud/natty/miller?
What's your baseline? No real beer experience outside of macros? In that case, try a hefeweizen. They're a little fuller bodied and usually drink pretty smooth. Low bitterness and typically have notes of banana and clove. A substantial departure from a basic American lager, but still pretty inoffensive.

I stopped drinking a while ago. Just doesn't sound fun.

Fuck this. I am not leaving my country that I love, but I'm ashamed of it at the same time.

Lotto

I stopped drinking a while ago. Just doesn't sound fun.

Fuck this. I am not leaving my country that I love, but I'm ashamed of it at the same time.

:(

I opened something I usually wouldn't. It's delicious but i'm sick to my stomach of the events that unfolded tonight.

Mitch

Banned
I couldn't drink last night. Wouldn't enjoy any of it.

Going to pick up some Java The Stout tomorrow if I can find any. I'll enjoy that.

Since I don't feel like throwing up tonight, busting out some of the Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2013. Only when I want to spoil myself, and I need spoiling tonight to feel better.

Since I don't feel like throwing up tonight, busting out some of the Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2013. Only when I want to spoil myself, and I need spoiling tonight to feel better.

My birthday is Saturday and I'll be going into the cellar to celebrate. Was thinking of the Cellar Reserves from '09, '11 & 13. BA Jackie O's and some other barrel-aged goodness. Not sure we'll be able to get through it all. Will be firing up the smoker but not sure what I'm putting on it yet.

Paging Des...

My birthday is Saturday and I'll be going into the cellar to celebrate. Was thinking of the Cellar Reserves from '09, '11 & 13. BA Jackie O's and some other barrel-aged goodness. Not sure we'll be able to get through it all. Will be firing up the smoker but not sure what I'm putting on it yet.

Paging Des...

I only started putting stuff in a closet (apartment and all) last year. The Old Stock Cellar Reserve I stocked up on since one local shop marked them down to $6.50 a bottle by accident. Figured it was a good time to bust one of them out.

And it was worth it. I needed that tonight.

riotous

Banned
Had a 2013 Pelican Mother of All Storms last night; incredible beer. It put me under though; although that might have had to do with the fact I started with Spiece Wars and Coffee KDS, a 120 minute IPA and some Stone W00tstout.

Had a 2013 Pelican Mother of All Storms last night; incredible beer. It put me under though; although that might have had to do with the fact I started with Spiece Wars and Coffee KDS, a 120 minute IPA and some Stone W00tstout.

And I thought I went over-the-top on Election Night. Sounds delicious, though!

Putzweg

Bought and drank the follow NZ beers from Garage Project:

Hapi Daze
Pernicious Weed
Hops on Pointe
Hakituri Pilsner

Conclusion: high quality, predictable, boring and sleepy.

Heading to Kauai next month for Xmas. Other than Kauai Island Brewery and Kauai Beer Company, is there anywhere else worth checking out on the island for good beer?

Looks like there are also a couple of wine shops around with solid beer and cigar selections, too.

Heading to Kauai next month for Xmas. Other than Kauai Island Brewery and Kauai Beer Company, is there anywhere else worth checking out on the island for good beer?

Looks like there are also a couple of wine shops around with solid beer and cigar selections, too.

Those are the only breweries. Kauai Beer Company is much better, but hit up both. There's Nani Moon Meadery in Kapa'a which is good. Kauai Juice Company does awesome kombucha, too.

The Princeville Foodland and the wine store in the same shipping complex have the best bottle selections. You won't see much stuff tat you don't get back in Oregon. Just the Hawaii Nui, Big Island Brewhaus and Lanikai bottles. Maui and Oahu have better distribution and see more stuff than Kauai.

Kauai is a wasteland for beer bars. The only one with a somewhat decent list is a fancy burger place in Kapa'a.

Also, make reservations for dinner at Kauai Ono. Amazing meal outside. It's BYOB so bring a couple fancy beers from home with you. When we went this past April I brought Ale Apothecary and de Garde stuff with.

gwailo

Banned
Those are the only breweries. Kauai Beer Company is much better, but hit up both. There's Nani Moon Meadery in Kapa'a which is good. Kauai Juice Company does awesome kombucha, too.

The Princeville Foodland and the wine store in the same shipping complex have the best bottle selections. You won't see much stuff tat you don't get back in Oregon. Just the Hawaii Nui, Big Island Brewhaus and Lanikai bottles. Maui and Oahu have better distribution and see more stuff than Kauai.

Kauai is a wasteland for beer bars. The only one with a somewhat decent list is a fancy burger place in Kapa'a.

Also, make reservations for dinner at Kauai Ono. Amazing meal outside. It's BYOB so bring a couple fancy beers from home with you. When we went this past April I brought Ale Apothecary and de Garde stuff with.

Any recommendations for Oahu? Going there in January. Last time I was there about 2 1/2 years ago there didn't seem to much (if any) beer/brewery scene. A lot of cool bars but they just had the standard macros on tap.

Thanks! That jives with a lot of what I've read here on GAF and elsewhere.

Kauai Ono sounds incredible but pricey. Will definitely consider, though, as we'll be right there in Princeville. I lived there from 2000-2001, and it looks like the entire island has changed quite a bit since then.

Thanks! That jives with a lot of what I've read here on GAF and elsewhere.

Kauai Ono sounds incredible but pricey. Will definitely consider, though, as we'll be right there in Princeville. I lived there from 2000-2001, and it looks like the entire island has changed quite a bit since then.

Kauai Ono is an absolute steal for the price. It's the best food we had on the island and worth every penny. It would cost twice as much in Seattle.

Any recommendations for Oahu? Going there in January. Last time I was there about 2 1/2 years ago there didn't seem to much (if any) beer/brewery scene. A lot of cool bars but they just had the standard macros on tap.

I haven't been to Oahu since 2010, but I like the stuff I've had from Lanikai Brewing. They're in Kailua. And Real A Gastropub is a crazy rock solid beer bar. They're partially owned by Shelton Brothers so they have stuff no one else in the islands ever gets (Cantillon, Jester King, etc.).

At Avenue Pub in NOLA. Maybe a third beer was a mistake. I feel the 1.5 mile walk back to the hotel will be long.

For perspective, the tame beer was an Enjoy By at 9.4% . Ended with Bruery Mash. At least the walk will help me sober up some.

Give me credit. I avoided bottles of barrel aged St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2014. Those were pricey, but tempting.

Drinking a Surly Black Furious. This is yet another example of the brutal curve this style has and yet another beer that doesn't cut it. Maybe it's a palate thing, but roast bitterness + hop bitterness very quickly turns into an unpleasant combo. I'm glad this style was only big for a few months, because it is something very few brewers, even good ones, can make an acceptable example of, let alone an enjoyable one.

Off to Omaha Tuesday evening for Thanksgiving. Have to make trips out to Lincoln and Seward, so hopefully able to check out Boiler Brewing in Lincoln, and I'm sure I'll stop at Bottle Rocket while we're down in Seward for the Santa Parade.

riotous

Banned
Off to Omaha Tuesday evening for Thanksgiving. Have to make trips out to Lincoln and Seward, so hopefully able to check out Boiler Brewing in Lincoln, and I'm sure I'll stop at Bottle Rocket while we're down in Seward for the Santa Parade.

Gonna miss BBomb day dude, blasphemy!

I found a beer I enjoy. Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower. While it does taste like all beer, (then again all soda taste the same to me) it's sweet and a bit sour and goes down easier then a soda. Really good.

I found a beer I enjoy. Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower. While it does taste like all beer, (then again all soda taste the same to me) it's sweet and a bit sour and goes down easier then a soda. Really good.

It's a Kolsch. German style beer that's a bit of an ale/lager hybrid.

Tried Ancient One at FoBAB. It was pretty glorious.

Which Ancient One? Bbomb? KDS? The original Ancient One? The Bbomb and KDS variants released this year are really good, but my palate isn't good enough to discern between them and regular.

Which Ancient One? Bbomb? KDS? The original Ancient One? The Bbomb and KDS variants released this year are really good, but my palate isn't good enough to discern between them and regular.
BBomb. Guess I didn't realize there were multiple varieties. Don't have much access to Freemont in my neck of the woods.

BBomb. Guess I didn't realize there were multiple varieties. Don't have much access to Freemont in my neck of the woods.

The original Ancient One was released at a small ticketed event at Fremont's facility in 2015 called Heron Hunter Club. It was basically Bbomb aged in 35 year old Heaven Hills barrels. For $75 you got access to the party, one bottle of Ancient One, all the Fremont beers you could drink and a bunch of food from a local well known chef who personally catered the event. They did HHC again this year and they did Smoking Jacket bottles for attendees to take home.

Fremont felt like making Ancient One again, and did Bbomb and KDS versions this year, which is now the $35 retail 375ml bottle trade bait shitshow monster in trade circles.

The original Ancient One was released at a small ticketed event at Fremont's facility in 2015 called Heron Hunter Club. It was basically Bbomb aged in 35 year old Heaven Hills barrels. For $75 you got access to the party, one bottle of Ancient One, all the Fremont beers you could drink and a bunch of food from a local well known chef who personally catered the event. They did HHC again this year and they did Smoking Jacket bottles for attendees to take home.

Fremont felt like making Ancient One again, and did Bbomb and KDS versions this year, which is now the $35 retail 375ml bottle trade bait shitshow monster in trade circles.
Wugh. Guess I should feel pretty alright for sliding into FoBAB on a guest pass and getting a couple of pours. It was pretty outstanding, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay $35 for a bottle if I saw it on the shelf.

Top Bottom