• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Was at a bar and there was a bottle share going on in the back. Told my friend to check into a Cable Car on Untappd from that location and see how long it takes for people to come out from the back. Two guys came walking out looking for the bottle not even two minutes later. Just sat there laughing.

That is pretty funny.

I was at Toronado a couple weeks ago with a couple friends and the owner sharing some bottles (Side Project, Apple Brandy Marshall Zhukov, etc.). Probably shouldn't have included the location cause I saw people come into the place looking for us.

That is hilarious.

5Bean Barrel Aged just dropped around here I'll report back with how it is.

I always forget to check for Sixpoint stuff. I will be keeping an eye out for this this week or next.

Hoping Xocoveza finally hits here tomorrow.

And only two more weeks until NOLA and Avenue Pub!

That is hilarious.

I always forget to check for Sixpoint stuff. I will be keeping an eye out for this this week or next.

Hoping Xocoveza finally hits here tomorrow.

And only two more weeks until NOLA and Avenue Pub!

Just had Xocoveza. Was delicious. I also just had heady topper and focal banger (by the alchemist brewing)

Focal banger may be the best IPA I've had. Wow.

Got packs of Lagunitas Born Yesterday, Sixpoint 5 Beans, and Stone Xocoveza today.

5 Beans was really damn good. I had that after having 3 Floyds Broo Doo while making dinner.

Right now having Xocoveza. Damn, I wish this was year round. Well, kind of. It wouldn't feel as special. I hope if the local store sells out they get more through the season. It will be my go to when the cold weather hits.

Badgerst3

img_7051.jpg

Just found some in socal- it's a good day.

Nikodemos

I finally managed to finish a Delirium Tremens (5L) keg. Lasted nearly three days, which is impressive given my beer-consuming habits.

Good stuff, but the alcohol does creep up on you quite quickly.

Back from a great week of beers in Atlanta. Brought back five cans of Creature Comforts' Tropicália in my luggage, and they all survived. Hooray!

Favorite destinations inside Atlanta were:
  • Porter Beer Bar
  • Hop City
  • Tap on Ponce
  • Georgia Beer Garden

Looked at the beers in my closet and realized my bottles of Dogfish Head Fort and Higher Math had passed the year old marker. Having Fort tonight.
Age was good to it. The raspberry is still there, but not as sweet or tart. Basically 120 Minute with a raspberry undertone to it.

Local stores still have tons of this collecting dust. Might grab a few more to age another year or more.

Hopefully time helped Higher Math as I didn't like that one too much on release.

Looked at the beers in my closet and realized my bottles of Dogfish Head Fort and Higher Math had passed the year old marker. Having Fort tonight.
Age was good to it. The raspberry is still there, but not as sweet or tart. Basically 120 Minute with a raspberry undertone to it.

Local stores still have tons of this collecting dust. Might grab a few more to age another year or more.

Hopefully time helped Higher Math as I didn't like that one too much on release.

I would save Higher Math a bit longer. Just had one recently and still wasn't too much into it but feels like it would "mellow" out if left for longer. Got me though.

Got my Trickery and Cassowary from Hardywood this weekend and they seem to be improving the process every time I go. Tickets for the first 400 people in line to guarantee getting both, as well as a more solid line made it seem less disorganized, but they didn't really have a problem with that before anyway. Both beers are pretty good as well. Will be back for the GBS variants in a few weeks.

Patience. I think them releasing it this early means there will be more coming through the season.

And thinking of aging a couple of bottles myself to see how time is to this one.
Oh crap. You just reminded me. I've got a couple bottles from last year stashed away. Never really meant to; it was great fresh and age is just gonna turn down the volume on all of the adjuncts that make that beer what it is. I better drink those up.

Oh crap. You just reminded me. I've got a couple bottles from last year stashed away. Never really meant to; it was great fresh and age is just gonna turn down the volume on all of the adjuncts that make that beer what it is. I better drink those up.

Please, let us know how age was to it. The thing that makes that beer so wonderful is how perfectly balanced all those flavors are. I am curious what age does to it.
I never thought of aging it until I looked that the new bottles.

Please, let us know how age was to it. The thing that makes that beer so wonderful is how perfectly balanced all those flavors are. I am curious what age does to it.
I never thought of aging it until I looked that the new bottles.
Bottled 10/30/15. Kinda fudgey up front. Lingering roasted coffee bitterness. Chili warmth has definitely faded. Just a touch of fruity brightness in the middle. Spices are practically gone.

Still a pretty good beer, honestly. But if you're looking for a spicy mexi-stout, this isn't it, anymore.

Bottled 10/30/15. Kinda fudgey up front. Lingering roasted coffee bitterness. Chili warmth has definitely faded. Just a touch of fruity brightness in the middle. Spices are practically gone.

Still a pretty good beer, honestly, but if you're looking for a spicy mexi-stout. This isn't it, anymore.

Hmmm. Sad to hear. Not a fan of spicy beers, but the bite that this one had was damn near perfect.

Guess I will hold onto some just long enough for Christmas. Thank you for the heads up.

Not surprised that an 8% adjunct laden milk stout didn't hold up well over the last year. I heard the BA versions were a mess, but maybe they got better with age?

Not surprised that an 8% adjunct laden milk stout didn't hold up well over the last year. I heard the BA versions were a mess, but maybe they got better with age?

The Xocoveza Charred versions I had earlier this year were good, but not as good as the base. Definitely not worth the $20 or so for 500ml. I was thankful to try them (thanks to traveling to L.A. in January), but don't feel compelled to get the BA versions of it again.

After the review of a year old version tonight, I feel safe tossing these in the fridge either now or before thanksgiving to have some good stuff for the feast.

The Xocoveza Charred versions I had earlier this year were good, but not as good as the base. Definitely not worth the $20 or so for 500ml. I was thankful to try them (thanks to traveling to L.A. in January), but don't feel compelled to get the BA versions of it again.

After the review of a year old version tonight, I feel safe tossing these in the fridge either now or before thanksgiving to have some good stuff for the feast.

This year's should be fine through the New Year, just don't go waiting until October 2017 to open them.

This year's should be fine through the New Year, just don't go waiting until October 2017 to open them.

Have a few from my initial purchase in the fridge. Have another six pack that I planned on fridging half of, then aging the rest. But now just going to let it sit until closer to Thanksgiving and fridge it then.

If there is more on shelves after that, I will just get it when the mood strikes me.

Again, the feedback on the year old one was nice on this. Saves me some time. Just like I didn't bother saving some 2016 Backwoods Bastard, as time was not as good to that as I wanted.

Might put my 2016 KBS in the fridge now too.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I am on the waiting list for all of my local stores for it, I hope some come in again soon! Sooo good! Aging it sound good too!

I just finished a little video from GABF 2016! The last time I had the delicious Xocoveza!
I keep telling myself, "Maybe next year." I've got relatives out there, and as an AHA member, I get early dibs, so it's super doable for me. I know I'd get such a terrible sour beer belly from hunting down all the meanest sours in the place. Probably worth it, though.

riotous

Banned
I think Prairie Christmas Bomb! is superior in every way from flavor to mouth feel but for such a widely distributed beer Xcoveza is great.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I keep telling myself, "Maybe next year." I've got relatives out there, and as an AHA member, I get early dibs, so it's super doable for me. I know I'd get such a terrible sour beer belly from hunting down all the meanest sours in the place. Probably worth it, though.

Member session is the best! You also get a nice little glass taster instead of the usual plastic. I recommend any beer lover to go at least once, the city is nice too!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I drank two six-packs of Xocoveza already I never have leftovers I drink too much. I'll never have a nice cellar stash.
Im jealous. I just want one six pack damn it!!

I had this beer last night that was amazing if you like maple. Its called Pancakes by Renegade brewing co.

Jarnet87

I was pleasantly surprised with 2016 Lagunitas Born Yesterday Pale Ale. Will be grabbing a sixer if my local store still has it this weekend.

I was pleasantly surprised with 2016 Lagunitas Born Yesterday Pale Ale. Will be grabbing a sixer if my local store still has it this weekend.

Born Yesterday is always a solid fresh hop. Great way to end the season every year.

Was it clear or hazy? Sounds like the beer is different between the Petaluma and Chicago brewed batches. West Coast is clear is day, the Chicago batch is much cloudier.

riotous

Banned
Shipping beer isn't illegal depending on where you ship to.

Doing it without paying the extra fee for the 21 and over ID check is illegal tho.

Beer can be shipped to most States; liquor is more restricted.

Jarnet87

Born Yesterday is always a solid fresh hop. Great way to end the season every year.

Was it clear or hazy? Sounds like the beer is different between the Petaluma and Chicago brewed batches. West Coast is clear is day, the Chicago batch is much cloudier.

On the East Coast so got that hazy goodness. The only other Fresh/Wet hop beer I have tried this year Terrapin's So Fresh So Green which was not very good, especially for the price.

Shipping beer isn't illegal depending on where you ship to.

Doing it without paying the extra fee for the 21 and over ID check is illegal tho.

Beer can be shipped to most States; liquor is more restricted.

Shipping beer is legal via some private carriers if you're properly licensed (i.e. Expensive business license) to do so. Most everyone is just careful/sneaky about it and breaking the law. Might be stupid but it's still illegal. I've done it a few times and never got caught but it's a chance you need to be aware of.

Go on down to FedEx, UPS or the Postal Service and tell them you're mailing beer. Let me know what happens.

riotous

Banned
Shipping beer is legal via some private carriers if you're properly licensed to do so. Most everyone is just careful/sneaky about it. I've done it before.

Go on down to FedEx, UPS or the Postal Service and tell them you're mailing beer. Let me know what happens.

Ah that makes sense; I guess I assumed it was legal because there are companies that ship beer around.

But the license thing makes perfect sense.

Cloudy with a little sediment here in KY.

Top Bottom