• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

tokkun said:
RE: Snobbery

Honestly, I would rather take a Miller Lite over Pliny the Elder or a Sapporo over Ruination 9 times out of 10. I think people tend to get a bit too self-congratulatory over their ability to adapt to acquired tastes. If people want to subscribe to the west-coast hop-bomb mentality, that's OK, but I think it's pretty silly to take on airs as if that's the be-all end-all of beer consumption. I mean, I like to drink black coffee, but that doesn't mean that I think that people drinking cafe au lait are unenlightened plebes.

I certainly think it's good for all beer drinkers to try broadening their horizons, but I'm not going to bag on someone if their favorite beer is a "mainstream craft" beer like Blue Moon, Sam Adams, or Buddweiser American Ale. Hell, if you have taken the time to sample a few types of beer and find that you prefer the Adjunct Rice Lager style, then more power to you.

At first I wanted to write your post of as stupid, but I sat down and looked at what you were really saying and it's something I agree with and have said in previous beer threads. People would probably classify me as a beer snob, but the thing is that I cannot stand hoppy/bitter beers. As far as I am concerned they typically either taste like you're biting into a grapefruit, or sometimes chewing on pine needles. Regardless of whether they are using floral hops, piney hops, or citrusy hops, the penchant nowadays is to go way too far overboard with them. Any beer with an IBU of 50 has so much hop in it that it ruins your palate and actively prevents you from tasting any depth of flavor in a beer unless you sit there and hold it in your mouth. They taste flat, overly bitter, and unpleasant to me.

That said, when I tell other beer enthusiasts about this they often immediately stop taking me seriously. You say they feel their palate is "refined" whereas mine is not, or that I probably don't know what I'm talking about or just haven't experienced enough beers. They're just flat out wrong and I absolutely hate their mind sets. I can literally sit there and explain to them a multitude of reasons as to why I feel hoppy beers are inferior (and probably would be to them too, if they stopped buying into the hivemind) and that it is typically not because their palate is refined at all. In general I feel that people should drink the beer that they enjoy. I don't like IPAs or some Imperial Stouts, but more power to them if they do.

On the other hand there is another place I draw the line, and that is when people recommend a poorer example of a variety rather than pointing to a good example of a variety. It stems more from the fact that I would rather someone not waste their time/money on the poorer variety when they can get much better. It also bothers me when people hold up inferior varieties over superior ones. Happens a lot with hipsters and PBR. I suppose there is only so far a person who considers himself to be a beer snob will go.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
At first I wanted to write your post of as stupid, but I sat down and looked at what you were really saying and it's something I agree with and have said in previous beer threads. People would probably classify me as a beer snob, but the thing is that I cannot stand hoppy/bitter beers. As far as I am concerned they typically either taste like you're biting into a grapefruit, or sometimes chewing on pine needles. Regardless of whether they are using floral hops, piney hops, or citrusy hops, the penchant nowadays is to go way too far overboard with them. Any beer with an IBU of 50 has so much hop in it that it ruins your palate and actively prevents you from tasting any depth of flavor in a beer unless you sit there and hold it in your mouth. They taste flat, overly bitter, and unpleasant to me.

That said, when I tell other beer enthusiasts about this they often immediately stop taking me seriously. You say they feel their palate is "refined" whereas mine is not, or that I probably don't know what I'm talking about or just haven't experienced enough beers. They're just flat out wrong and I absolutely hate their mind sets. I can literally sit there and explain to them a multitude of reasons as to why hoppy beers are inferior (and probably would be to them too, if they stopped buying into the hivemind) and that it is typically not because their palate is refined at all. In general I feel that people should drink the beer that they enjoy. I don't like IPAs or some Imperial Stouts, but more power to them if they do.

On the other hand there is another place I draw the line, and that is when people recommend a poorer example of a variety rather than pointing to a good example of a variety. It stems more from the fact that I would rather someone not waste their time/money on the poorer variety when they can get much better. It also bothers me when people hold up inferior varieties over superior ones. Happens a lot with hipsters and PBR. I suppose there is only so far a person who considers himself to be a beer snob will go.

How do you say the bold when you spend the majority of your post saying that anyone who doesn't agree with you is "buying into the hivemind"?

HiResDes

Zefah said:
How do you say the bold when you spend the majority of your post saying that anyone who doesn't agree with you is "buying into the hivemind"?
I guess he's taking it all back...I mean he jumped on me for suggesting Blue Moon to a newbie. :lol

Zefah said:

I stealth edited you on that one for some more clarity, but anyway...

It's because often people will cease taking you seriously when you say you don't enjoy their variety. To them it's not actually about the flavor, it's about what they think is better. That's a hivemind of snobbery, rather than doing something for the enjoyment. It's putting on airs. If they simply enjoyed the beer for the beer, rather than for the prestige they feel it gives them, they wouldn't see it that way.

And no, I'm not taking it back. If you want to drink Blue Moon, go for it, but it's a waste of time/money compared to a nice Allagash White. My tolerance only goes so far as to extend to the varieties of beer you like, all bets are off when two beers are the same variety.

Edit:
A good way to describe it is like this. I like hamburgers, but I don't like fish sandwiches. If you like fish sandwiches and not hamburgers, that's cool too. But if you like hamburgers, and then try to tell someone a McDonalds cheeseburger is better than a Five Guys cheeseburger, I'm just going to call you out on the bullshit. Unless you have some twisted, terrible palate/preference, you're just wrong. If someone asks you for a recommendation on a good place to get a burger, and you tell them to go get a $1 McDonalds burger, you're doing them a disservice.

Zeke

Picked up a six pack warsteiner premium dunkel its ok its not as flavorful as I would like.
gjYbs.jpg

HiResDes

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

It's because often people will cease taking you seriously when you say you don't enjoy their variety. To them it's not actually about the flavor, it's about what they think is better. That's a hivemind of snobbery, rather than doing something for the enjoyment. It's putting on airs. If they simply enjoyed the beer for the beer, rather than for the prestige they feel it gives them, they wouldn't see it that way.

And no, I'm not taking it back. If you want to drink Blue Moon, go for it, but it's a waste of time/money compared to a nice Allagash White. My tolerance only goes so far as to extend to the varieties of beer you like, all bets are off when two beers are the same variety.

Edit:
A good way to describe it is like this. I like hamburgers, but I don't like fish sandwiches. If you like fish sandwiches and not hamburgers, that's cool too. But if you like hamburgers, and then try to tell someone a McDonalds cheeseburger is better than a Five Guys cheeseburger, I'm just going to call you out on the bullshit. Unless you have some twisted, terrible palate/preference, you're just wrong. If someone asks you for a recommendation on a good place to get a burger, and you tell them to go get a $1 McDonalds burger, you're doing them a disservice.

Five Guys isn't available everywhere, McDonalds is...Also Blue Moon on tap is pretty damn refreshing.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

Edit:

I don't really get what you're trying to say.

So on one hand... people should drink what they like.
On another hand... people who drink really hoppy beers are just buying into the hive mind.
And on a mutant third hand... people who prefer mainstream mass-appeal mass-marketed beers are ignorant and flat out wrong.
But remember, people should just drink what they like.

I think you're a little confused.
Anyway, your experience with other beer enthusiasts doesn't line up with mine at all. A lot of people, myself included, just genuinely like a good hop overload. I find it delicious and extremely refreshing. But I'm not gonna look down on someone who doesn't like that kind of flavor, and you're right, I don't go for a DIPA if I'm looking for depth and complexity. (though I might argue that some do pull it off remarkably)

Zefah said:
Try some of the Japanese lagers like the standard versions of Asahi, Kirin, or Sapporo. I don't drink them often, but I think they go pretty well with Sushi.

i think sushi pretty much justifies the existence of asahi super dry, actually. it is quite literally super-dry, and the palate is basically neutral (which is good considering the variety of stuff you'll be eating at any sushi place)

Zinga

Banned
tooheys%20extra%20dry.JPG

Toohey's Extra Dry Platinum - My favourite at the moment :) very smooth when cold, and has a bit of a kick to it as well.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Drank a fair few Coronas last night, alright on its own, but with a lime, ahhh :D

LM4sure

Banned
What a great idea for a thread! How come this was never thought of before??? Or maybe I just completely missed it.

Either way, I heart beer. I actually just got back from the Great American Beer Fest in Denver this past weekend. An amazing time as usual! This was actually my second time going and I think I'll keep up the annual tradition.

I tried so many great craft brews over the past week and I wish more of those I tried are available in Boston. Lets see. We went to the New Belgium brewery which is apparently extremely popular. Great atmosphere at the bar, but the beers were lacking. Nothing really stood out to me. Perhaps the sahti ale, but Dogfish Head has a much better one.

Another brewery in Fort Collins we went to was Equinox. A relatively new brewery I believe, but it was pretty damn good. I cannot recall specifically what I liked there, but I know it was good!

Left Hand is amazing. There is a bar in Boston that has the milk stout, and it is fantastic. BUT I never knew there was a milk stout nitro! UNBELIEVABLE!!! Ahhh...we spent several hours here partaking in the goodness.

The Great Divide is another great Colorado brewery we encountered. Belgica I recall as being pretty damn good. The Titan IPA was awesome as well. I'm a big IPA fan. The hoppier, the better.

And then there was the beer fest. Wow. The problem with beer fests is that it is hard to appreciate any individual beer. And the GABF is HUGE, so you could only try a fraction of the beers anyway. You really need to go to at least 2 sessions.

Now the plan is to find bars in Boston that carry some of these beers I tried. Unfortunately for the most part craft beers are regionalized. I cannot even get Yuengling in Boston (great inexpensive beer) and I thought that was hugely popular (at least in Tampa anyway).

glasses

What should I look in to? I generally always drink out of the bottle, but I keep hearing people say glasses are where it's at. The only place I drink out of a glass is at a bar.

So, are there specific types and shapes of glasses that I should look in to?

I mostly drink different wheat beers.

Breckenridge is another good brewery in Colorado. I just tried their Autumn Ale for the first time recently- it's really good, not the standard hoppy autumn/harvest ale- it's darker, like halfway between a brown ale and a porter. They also make a good Vanilla Porter.

JodyAnthony said:
glasses

What should I look in to? I generally always drink out of the bottle, but I keep hearing people say glasses are where it's at. The only place I drink out of a glass is at a bar.

I will say that one of the only "snobby" things I do with beer is I always drink out of a glass. And often if I see a friend drinking out of a bottle I'll grab them an appropriate glass and make them drink out of it. :lol

It's just easier to appreciate beer in a glass, especially when we are talking aroma. My wife bought me this beer glass set for christmas a year or so ago and I love it. I have a ton of specialized beer glasses as well (pilsner, tulip, chalices, etc), but this set will give you what you need for the most part. Nice pint glasses are a must, and the ones in this set are English style ones, which I prefer.

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-12-Piece-International-Beer-Glasses/dp/B000VVWONE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1285245358&sr=8-1-spell

JodyAnthony said:
glasses

Find a local brewpub that has a pint night where you show up, pay a little extra for the beer and get to keep the glass. Repeat until you have a full set. Worked for me!

I find a standard pint glass is pretty all purpose and gets the job done. The biggest advantage to drinking out of a glass is, like mentioned above, you can smell your beer as you drink it. Not absolutely necessary, but I think its worth it.

This thread is awesome. Surprised not to see more love for Great Lakes Brewing Company; almost everything they do is magic.

I'm planning on doing my first home brew this weekend. The ingredient kit I picked out is a nut brown ale that's supposed to be fairly forgiving and appeal to a wide variety of beer drinkers (basically I want to impress my family and friends). I only had the budget to buy equipment for a single-stage fermentation, but I did make sure to pick up a bottle of star san to make sanitizing as easy as possible. For you guys that have experience, what are your tips for a newbie?

Edit: I would also like to point out that reading this thread at 9am is dangerous. I'm so close to grabbing a Sly Fox Pikeland Pils out of my fridge.

JodyAnthony said:
glasses

For a good all-around glass look into one of these:
s5kzsw.jpg

Plenty of size and works well with a number of styles.

lljride

sharkmuncher said:
Find a local brewpub that has a pint night where you show up, pay a little extra for the beer and get to keep the glass. Repeat until you have a full set. Worked for me!

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to break down and go this route. For some reason I can't ever find a reasonably priced tulip set anywhere around me. I did find a site online that sells the Unibroue branded tulips for around $5 a piece, but I was stubborn and wanted to buy them in a store.

I'm almost positive my local pub has a glass night also, so I'll look into it.

HappyBivouac said:
I don't really get what you're trying to say.

So on one hand... people should drink what they like.
On another hand... people who drink really hoppy beers are just buying into the hive mind.
And on a mutant third hand... people who prefer mainstream mass-appeal mass-marketed beers are ignorant and flat out wrong.
But remember, people should just drink what they like.

I think you're a little confused.
Anyway, your experience with other beer enthusiasts doesn't line up with mine at all. A lot of people, myself included, just genuinely like a good hop overload. I find it delicious and extremely refreshing. But I'm not gonna look down on someone who doesn't like that kind of flavor, and you're right, I don't go for a DIPA if I'm looking for depth and complexity. (though I might argue that some do pull it off remarkably)

First let's take a look at what I actually said

That said, when I tell other beer enthusiasts about this they often immediately stop taking me seriously. You say they feel their palate is "refined" whereas mine is not, or that I probably don't know what I'm talking about or just haven't experienced enough beers. They're just flat out wrong and I absolutely hate their mind sets. I can literally sit there and explain to them a multitude of reasons as to why I feel hoppy beers are inferior (and probably would be to them too, if they stopped buying into the hivemind) and that it is typically not because their palate is refined at all. In general I feel that people should drink the beer that they enjoy. I don't like IPAs or some Imperial Stouts, but more power to them if they do.

There are TWO qualifiers in this statement that you have missed. First is that I am explaining MY FEELINGS about hoppy beers to them, and the second is the class of people I am talking about; those who immediately dismiss me as having any knowledge or taste in beer as soon as they learn I don't like hoppy beers. In the second case, I am forced to draw the conclusion that they have bought into a hivemind of preference because you will commonly see people who have do the same thing--if you're not with us, you're not worth our time (you see it on the Gaming side all the time). I will happily explain to them why I think they are wrong, and if they push back, which they often do (because they must be correct in their snobbery), I just have to chalk it up to ignorance. The difference here is that my statements are statements of opinion, whereas they escalate to the point of claiming their opinions are fact, because if you don't agree with them then you know nothing. It's the definition of snobbery. That's what I take issue with. If they said "That's cool, it's not my palate, but I can relate" they're not snobs, but unfortunately I encounter less of that type of person than the other way around.

And I've already sufficiently explained why I feel the way I feel about mass-market beers.

JodyAnthony said:
glasses

I got two sets of these:

Mikasa Brewmasters Collection

As for Pint glasses, I get plenty of those just from buying beers when reps are around or when they are on special.

Right now I need some lambic glasses, chalices, and steins/mugs in order to finish off my glassware collection.

CrankyJay

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Plenty of love for SN in this thread. Celebration is one of my favorite beers of all time.
Fuck! I love Celebration. Every time my friends and I have one we do the Dave Chapelle "it's a celebration bitches."

deadbeef

Picked up some Sierra Nevada Tumbler (autumnn brown ale) and some Sam Adams Octoberfest tonight. Looking forward to trying them both

Cuu

Evlar said:
Drinking my 16-month-old Dogfish Head 120 Minute right now. It's like gargling fermented raisins.

Mmmm. I never aged one before...

I definitely did appreciate feeling pretty buzzed after that one 10oz beer though.

I actually liked the flavor more than the 90min IPA. It felt less bitter.

Evlar

Banned
Cuu said:
Mmmm. I never aged one before...

I definitely did appreciate feeling pretty buzzed after that one 10oz beer though.

I actually liked the flavor more than the 90min IPA. It felt less bitter.
This is the first I've had either way. I'd like to try it non-aged, now. After 16 months it was only moderately hoppy but very, very sweet. Almost maple syrup sweet.

Calantus

i've never had a beer before, only liquor, but i'll most likely be having some at a party Saturday. I always hated the smell of beer :lol

at least it wont be as bad as liquor the first time.

Cuu

Evlar said:
This is the first I've had either way. I'd like to try it non-aged, now. After 16 months it was only moderately hoppy but very, very sweet. Almost maple syrup sweet.

That was similar to my tasting of it. Tasted like a mellow-er and sweeter 90min. Had a really nice slight alcohol warming to it from what I remember. Fantastic in small sips.

If it wasn't $10/bottle, I'd drink it more often.

I discovered Yuengling while in Pittsburgh a couple years back. It's now my favorite beer. Too bad I live in Texas and it's not distributed here.

deadbeef

Grady Durden said:
I discovered Yuengling while in Pittsburgh a couple years back. It's now my favorite beer. Too bad I live in Texas and it's not distributed here.

But ... but.. Shinerbock!

Xirj

My wonderfully resourceful girlfriend managed to find a bottle of Westvleteren 8 and 12 for us in Amsterdamn. Can't wait to try these out on Saturday. Will be doing a direct comparison to Rochefort 8 and 10, any other recommendations?

JodyAnthony said:
glasses

First suggestion is to always try and drink beer out of a glass. Now if you're watching the game with your buddies and have a round of Killians, obviously bottles are the way to go.

But beer really does have a different flavor when being drank from a glass.

Now, on the other hand, I have heard people claim that different glasses produce different aromatic results, but I don't buy that. The difference between a pour in a pint glass or in a snifter is very minimal, if there is any difference at all.

So with that said, I would recommend just getting a few trusty glasses that you like. Tall hefeweizen glasses, pint glasses, goblets, whatever appeals to you, and enjoy. You can find most different types surprisingly cheap by searching the webs.

deadbeef

I think a pint glass is pretty much the best all-purpose glass to have. And it really makes the beer more enjoyable, for me.

Cuu

zalemale said:
Big beer fan here as well.

For those Chicagoans out there looking to find their favorite beers on tap, take a look at beerbin. It's a site I've been working on with a few friends as a small ongoing side project. It has a database of bars that lets you know where you can find your favorite beer on tap or team being broad casted that you're interested in. It's constantly in development so some things are still kind of rough, but hope it comes in handy some time. Would love to hear any feedback.

cheers

Holy crap, I love you.

I just noticed this, will tell all my beer-loving friends.

edit: my suggestion: say which beers are on tap, not just served!!

ATF487

Grady Durden said:

They need to get some better distribution, I can't get it in MA either

ATF487 said:
They need to get some better distribution, I can't get it in MA either

I have heard many times around the area that Yuengling could expand much further but they have chosen not to because the owner doesn't want to deal with it. I grew up about 30-45 minutes from where they are based out of, so when I was growing up it was pretty much all Yuengling. In eastern PA, we just called it Lager. In fact, on some of their ads they actually say "It's the only beer you don't have to ask for by name" or some such similar slogan. In fact, whenever I travel to NJ/DE and I ask for a Lager the bartenders look at me funny and say "Well which one?"

worldrunover said:
First suggestion is to always try and drink beer out of a glass. Now if you're watching the game with your buddies and have a round of Killians, obviously bottles are the way to go.

Now, on the other hand, I have heard people claim that different glasses produce different aromatic results, but I don't buy that. The difference between a pour in a pint glass or in a snifter is very minimal, if there is any difference at all.

So with that said, I would recommend just getting a few trusty glasses that you like. Tall hefeweizen glasses, pint glasses, goblets, whatever appeals to you, and enjoy. You can find most different types surprisingly cheap by searching the webs.

I am using red wine glasses atm.

UrokeJoe

worldrunover said:

I have glasses and I use them. I agree.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My favorite beer that I have tried recently was a Julius Echter Dunkelweiss. I had it when I was in Fredericksburg, TX recently. So I need to go out and find it in my city.

Boney

Banned
So me and my friends were playing wizard staff this weekend, and when we were dueling this brute hit the staff way too hard, going directly into my face and cutting open my lip.

It was fun stuff.

ilikeme

anchor_bottle.jpg

brand-BroThelo.jpg

These came recommended to me by two friends of mine. They are DELICIOUS.

I also enjoy Hoegaarden. Such an awesome name and the taste lives up to it.

I have this in my fridge, anyone tasted it?
mythique75.jpg

I've tried it before, can't remember though. I think I really liked it which is why I bought a new one.. Might be drinking it in the weekend! :D

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I made some chicken breast with tostones and broccoli last night. Paired it with two bottles of Newcastle brown ale. That's good bier.

Bought a six pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest, it's every bit as good as last years.

forrest

formerly nacire
Today starts the first day of the first ever Louisville Craft Beer Week! I'm stoked as there are crazy events and parties all week long in celebration of craft beer!

Top Bottom