• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Totally not shitposting. Not trying to be cool. Not trying to do anything other than say what's on my mind.

But.

I thought Hop Slam was really middle of the road. Too malty. And for playing up the whole "made with honey" thing I didn't get any honey.

I'd had it in the past (back when the hype around it was craaaaazy) and i think my feelings back then were pretty similar.

[shrug]

MadSexual

Totally not shitposting. Not trying to be cool. Not trying to do anything other than say what's on my mind.

But.

I thought Hop Slam was really middle of the road. Too malty. And for playing up the whole "made with honey" thing I didn't get any honey.

I'd had it in the past (back when the hype around it was craaaaazy) and i think my feelings back then were pretty similar.

[shrug]
It was well above average in my opinion, but not anywhere close to the hype. Obviously. Nothing ever is.

I don't find it too malty, but I do think the booziness (in this case, a sharp vodka-like note) does a lot to mute the aromatics of the honey, which is disappointing. It's such a delicate flavor (if you are expecting a sweet flavor like eating honey, it doesn't come out that way post fermentation). I do, however, enjoy the tart, lemony hops. That isn't the most common color for a DIPA in my experience.

But it is still massively over hyped. Six packs were $20 here in NC and dried up in days. A friend drove down from Michigan this week and brought a pack with him. Said they were everywhere and going for $12. Scarcity breeds demand, as always. The last time I'd had it was at a normal bar in Pittsburgh where it was just another quality tap on the wall. I don't get the sensationalism.

Ron Mexico

But.

[shrug]

It's a perfectly solid yet unspectacular beer. I've never really picked out any honey either but just chalked that up to my particular palate.

The only beer that really did live up to the hype for me was fresh Zombie Dust-- but even that was while I was on vacation and the additional enjoyment easily could have been just the outside circumstances.

While we're at the overhyped bit, I don't get the hype for the "jooooce" trend. It's totally possible that it's just me but a mediocre hazy beer is still a mediocre beer. Maybe I'm just old.

Hop Slam just tastes like any other DIPA to me, but not nearly as hoppy. Give me Hop Venom and I'm a happy man.

And I get the honey thing, it's just another sugar source, but if you're gonna play it up I dunno. Structures' Long Bright Dark IPA uses coffee blossom honey and it's still detectable.

I never had the 02.02.02 release originally, but the Vertical Epics were always meant to be cellared.

Yeah, good point. I should have grabbed another. I live in Canada, though, and our store just randomly got some bottles of that imported along with a few other Stone beers. I bought one each to try them all. That was literally the first time I had seen or heard anything about the Vertical Epic series.

thabiz

Yeah, good point. I should have grabbed another. I live in Canada, though, and our store just randomly got some bottles of that imported along with a few other Stone beers. I bought one each to try them all. That was literally the first time I had seen or heard anything about the Vertical Epic series.

Don't buy American beer at the lcbo. Its vastly overpriced, and Stone is usually the worst at it.

In recent memory old rasputin has been the only sensibly priced one. Spend that 8-10 bucks on local breweries and get a beer just as good or better.

Jarnet87

I only got one can of Hop Slam, it's a decent DIPA, but nowhere near the $23 for a six pack they want at retailers down here.

HiResDes

I think Bellwoods ales are vastly underrated, Jutsu gotta be in my top five favorite Pales, would definitely like to go back and grab some stouts though too next time.

thabiz

Bellwoods is vastly overrated round these parts. All their pales and IPAs taste the same now. Good sours but there's about 4 brewery's id hit in the area before Bellwoods.

But.

[shrug]

That's a shame. There's a local bar with HopSlam on tap so I was going to drop by. Sounds like it's not really worth it.

Speaking of honey, when I visited Stockholm I went to some traditional pub (located in an underground stone cellar), and they served really old school mead that they made themselves. Much better than I expected it to be.

It looks like there is one to me; the photo res makes it hard to make it out clearly, but there's definitely a squiggle above the n. On a sidenote, I had no idea that Spanish uses the umlaut in words (pingüina).

Linguistics aside, I can't say I've ever liked the Clown Shoes beers I've tried.

Yea I've found everything I've had from Clown Shoes to be awful

HiiiLife

CO resident here and still relatively new to the craft beer scene. Have some Apricot Blonde from Dry Dock for the Super Bowl tho.

Block 15 with its Bourbon month is killing me with its taplist.

KRIEK, A THREE SUMMERS CUVÉE 2017
Sour Brown Ale, Matured in Bourbon Barrels w/ Cherries - 7.5%

SUPER NEBULA 2017
Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, Conditioned on Cocoa Nibs - 11.25%

SUPER NEBULA, BREAKFAST WITH WOODFORD 2017
Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, Brewed w/ Maple Syrup & Conditioned on Coffee Beans - 10.5%

SUPER NEBULA, DOUBLE CHOCOLATE VANILLA BEAN 2017
Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, Conditioned on Cocoa Nibs & Vanilla Beans - 10.5%

Gotta try those today before they run out.

Block 15 with its Bourbon month is killing me with its taplist.

Gotta try those today before they run out.

My buddy went down for the bottle release brunch this past weekend, I'll probably snag a bottle or two off of him.

He said they were pouring the first batch of Super Nebula (2009) at the brunch.

HiResDes

I feel bad that the reviews of that Graeter's Ice Cream beer aren't so hot since I sent your friend two 4-packs of it, but hopefully she appreciates it for its novelty.

I feel bad that the reviews of that Graeter's Ice Cream beer aren't so hot since I sent your friend two 4-packs of it, but hopefully she appreciates it for its novelty.

It's her sister-in-law's favorite ice cream, so I'm sure she'll be excited.

edit: She's cool with it, said the novelty if nothing else is worth the swap.

riotous

Banned
Modern Times going to be at Beer Junction later this month; the event notice makes it kind of sound like they are going to distribute here? Know anything @distantmantra

Modern Times going to be at Beer Junction later this month; the event notice makes it kind of sound like they are going to distribute here? Know anything @distantmantra

Yep. There was a Facebook post from Modern Times looking for regional sales reps back in December. WA and OR will be seeing the full distributed (does not include brewery only stuff) lineup of MT beers in bottle/can and on draft. We'll also see Accumulated Knowledge at Trader Joes.

This is one of the few outside the region (WA/OR) breweries I'm genuinely excited about and will buy regularly.

Yep. There was a Facebook post from Modern Times looking for regional sales reps back in December. WA and OR will be seeing the full distributed (does not include brewery only stuff) lineup of MT beers in bottle/can and on draft. We'll also see Accumulated Knowledge at Trader Joes.

This is one of the few outside the region (WA/OR) breweries I'm genuinely excited about and will buy regularly.

Wish there were a TJs closer to me so I could try Accumulated Knowledge more often. A lot of other places near me don't really restock the year-round cans very often so it's harder to find fresh Fortunate Islands than I'd like. Of course the new (hazy) Orderville is amazing and I can't even imagine how many cans of Fruitlands w/passionfruit and guava I'm going to buy when they start releasing those.

Wish there were a TJs closer to me so I could try Accumulated Knowledge more often. A lot of other places near me don't really restock the year-round cans very often so it's harder to find fresh Fortunate Islands than I'd like. Of course the new (hazy) Orderville is amazing and I can't even imagine how many cans of Fruitlands w/passionfruit and guava I'm going to buy when they start releasing those.

Canned P&G Fruitlands? Oh fuck yes. I loved the one bottle I had last year.

Modern Times has to have one of the most generic label designs I've seen. I just think it's such a weird thing to do as a craft brewery, and makes me think they want to expand as widely as possible (as Golden Road did, who also have very safe designs). So yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they start distribution up there.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Anyone ever try this?

19a482da0830bb8612ac0127ee31e16a.jpg

Tried some of it yesterday with some friends, and this stuff is amazing. Had a great aftertaste of cake and sprinkles.

Anyone ever try this?

Tried some of it yesterday with some friends, and this stuff is amazing. Had a great aftertaste of cake and sprinkles.

I missed it in town the other week. Store only got one case and it disappeared quickly. I don't want a six pack, but really want to try it at some point.

Honestly the MT label design was what attracted me to them in the first place. It's pretty simple but their cans/bottles/tap handles are pretty recognizable and the color stripes are pretty clever. Golden Road's can design is a mess (much like most of their beer).

Lotto

Modern Times has to have one of the most generic label designs I've seen. I just think it's such a weird thing to do as a craft brewery, and makes me think they want to expand as widely as possible (as Golden Road did, who also have very safe designs). So yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they start distribution up there.

They have one of the more distinct labels imo. Very consistent and easily recognizable, makes it pretty eye-catching when I'm in a store with tons of craft beer everywhere.

I really need to try the new Orderville, I keep forgetting.

Anyone ever try this?

Tried this at the Home Brew Mart tasting room when I went to pick up my grains and hops. It's interesting and somehow doesn't come off as super artificial even though the color gives off that kind of illusion.

They have one of the more distinct labels imo. Very consistent and easily recognizable, makes it pretty eye-catching when I'm in a store with tons of craft beer everywhere.

Yes, that's kinda what I meant. It's designed for display at Whole Foods, not craft stores.

Though I don't think you have to design a label like that to be noticed. Ballast Point have cool labels and I always immediately recognize them.

I really don't understand the point you're trying to make. So are Modern Times' labels too cool or not cool enough?

My point was the label seems designed for mass market, like a Budweiser can. I'm a big fan of beer and wines that express the personality of their brand through the label. Modern Times has a well-designed label from a graphic design POV, but it doesn't say anything about who they are. Mikkeller for instance has well-designed labels, but they also make a statement about their personality.

That's great news! I've never had a single beer from Modern Times.

ShinAmano

Pretty stoked...next Friday the newest triple crossing dipa in the Halo (Lockout) series drops...Sanctuary.

People love veil but triple crossing is killing it in the ipa space.

riotous

Banned
My point was the label seems designed for mass market, like a Budweiser can. I'm a big fan of beer and wines that express the personality of their brand through the label. Modern Times has a well-designed label from a graphic design POV, but it doesn't say anything about who they are. Mikkeller for instance has well-designed labels, but they also make a statement about their personality.

I like the variety of clean styles vs. gaudy art vs. fine art vs. whatever they feel like doing.

I think Modern Times cans / bottles have their own personality too; I think the design aesthetic they are going for is to look like a baseball uniform. The font, the simple color coded lines, the MT logo looking like something you'd see on a baseball hat, etc. It does look a bit "mass market" but it is a craft beer, their aesthetic just happens to be homey.

There's styles I like that also annoy me, like Omnipollo's completely useless bottles lol. Have to look up on the internet and find the bottle style to see what kind of beer it is half the time as the info is sparse or sometimes not there at all.

It's funny, I've never thought of MT as having a mass market design aesthetic. They always seemed really cool and retro (late 70s/early 80s) to me.

I like the variety of clean styles vs. gaudy art vs. fine art vs. whatever they feel like doing.

I think Modern Times cans / bottles have their own personality too; I think the design aesthetic they are going for is to look like a baseball uniform. The font, the simple color coded lines, the MT logo looking like something you'd see on a baseball hat, etc. It does look a bit "mass market" but it is a craft beer, their aesthetic just happens to be homey.

There's styles I like that also annoy me, like Omnipollo's completely useless bottles lol. Have to look up on the internet and find the bottle style to see what kind of beer it is half the time as the info is sparse or sometimes not there at all.

Hm I never thought about the baseball aspect, but you're right, there is that aesthetic there. Yeah Omnipollo's are a bit silly, but now you've made me remember that my local used to get some distribution of them, but haven't seen any in a couple years. :( On the other end of the spectrum are Clown Shoes whose labels are terrible and amateur hour.

I think the market is also getting to a point that "craft brewery" is starting to lose some of its meaning. I don't worry about the "industry" much, but are breweries that get regional or national distribution still craft? Is it more about the attitude and the intent? For instance, Stone has gotta be the biggest "craft" brewery there is, but they still seem a bit daring. A brewery like Golden Road on the other hand seemed designed from the start to go big. Their labels are clean, well-designed, and inoffensive, and I could easily imagine Golden Road commercials on TV. They have some great beers, and I've met the owner a few times and she's rad, but the vibe of the brewery seems more mainstream focused.

On a sidenote, I'm seeing Founders here now even in chain grocery stores. Never even seen them here before last year. Did they get bought out or get a national distribution deal?

Lotto

Saint Archer is the very definition of a "craft" brewery that was designed to be sold. Opened in 2013 and heavily associated itself with skateboarding culture. Sold out to MillerCoors by 2015. Fine with me since I don't particularly feel like their beers are all that great. Their Mosaic DIPA is probably their best thing.

Modern Times' founder is pretty vocal about how much he hates the big guys: http://moderntimesbeer.com/blog/what-selling-out

Nothing new this week but 3 Floyds stuff. Got Behemoth, Confidentiality and Disclosure IPA, and LaserSnake IPA. The label on LaserSnake is metal as fuck.

THREE-FLOYDS-20160804-LAZERSNAKE.jpg

Top Bottom