• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Belgium-GAF |OT| De rest is parking

Dawg

belgium-map-card.jpg

Hello.

Welcome to Belgium, the strangest country in the world. Some people don't even know we exist. Can you really blame them though? Our neighbours (France, Germany, UK and... the Netherlands) are probably more
interesting anyway... I guess. Too bad we don't give a fuck. Located in Western Europe, Belgium is a founding member of the European Union. We also host the EU's headquarters so you better don't mess with us,
brah. We even have the NATO HQ and shit. Unfortunately, we are not perfect. With a population of 11 million people and two main languages, our culture is divided. About 59% speak Dutch (mostly Flemish) and we have
to deal... ehm live in harmony with 41% French-speakers. They are also called Walloons. The word 'Walloons' sounds funny by the way. We also have a small group of German-speakers but nobody really knows those guys.

regionsnps2x.png

Our territory is divided into three seperate Regions. Two of them, Flanders and Wallonia, are also subdivided into a couple of provinces. The final Region, Brussels, is neither province nor a part of a province. Do you think that sounds complicated? YOU KNOW NOTHING.

Now let's forget about the boring stuff.

THE COOL STUFF OF BELGIUM!!!

This is our flag

450px-Flag_of_Belgium.svg.png

We also have a pretty sweet coat of arms

490px-Great_Coat_of_Arms_of_Belgium.svg.png

People in our country enjoy getting food from these things

frituur_overname_over_te_nemen_boem_petat_6.jpg

Especially this

Frieten_gent4.JPG

Together with this

mayonaise.jpg

We also like to meet in this place

cafe-trefpunt-antwerpen-0x380.jpg

to drink a couple of these

duvel-267x300.jpg

Drink too much and these guys will find you

media_xll_4544874.jpg

People also like our waffles btw

ee2d17_belgian_waffle_lg.jpg

And our chocolate as well

belgium-chocolate-tours.jpg

We also have a pwetty gewd football team at the moment

belgium_national_team3iumw.jpg

Gotta love this guy:

media_xl_5178964.jpg

Apparently, this guy lives in our country too
lol

hqdefault.jpg

Jean-Claude is Belgian too

1045.jpg

We also had the creator of this series:

tintin.jpg

and this grill was born in our country

Audrey-audrey-hepburn-7952544-968-1280.jpg

We have some famour art too:

Rene%20Magritte%20The_son_of_man%20detail.jpg

We also have many (read: too much) politicians, but I cba to name them all so here is a funny picture from one of them:

bart-de-wever-dans-le-role-de-letrangleur.jpg

En laten we ook niet onze goede vriend Hercule Poirot vergeten!

OchXtjV.jpg

Enjoy this thread

Metrotab

Banned
A comfy country, wonderfully surrealist. An unbelievable amount of history folded in its city streets.

En de beste frieten ter wereld!

Prez

One of the most individualistic people in the world. I don't feel much at home here tbh. Thank god we have such great beer.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Liegebeest was bizarre as fuck. As for comedy, the guys of Neveneffecten seem to be the doing the best work on that front at the moment.

Phthisis

Drove through Belgium last summer with a friend. We went from Stuttgart Germany to Brussels, and then onward to Bruges for a couples days, and finally stopped in Knokke-Heist on the way to Amsterdam.

Great country. I loved Bruges and Knokke Heist. Amazingly clean, amazing beer. Belgium doesn't get enough love, IMO. It's way better than France, that's for sure.

A+++++ would go back

One of the most individualistic people in the world. I don't feel much at home here tbh. Thank god we have such great beer.

Neither do I, my friend, neither do I. Just be happy that we have a community like GAF to unite all the great people.

Vitten

De échte delicatesse van ons landje:

bxhrcy1r.jpg

Sooooooo goooodd.....

Mm.. ik weet nog altijd niet wat ik moet denken van onze New Rode Duivels 2.0.
Veel individueel talent maar iets teveel prima donnas en te weinig smeerlapkes.. Ik zie ze niet ver geraken tegen een goed georganiseerd blok

Ik ben Nederlander, maar heb wel een enorme zwakte voor Belgie. Ben vaak in Antwerpen en Brussel te vinden voor een lekker bolleke. Jullie zijn perfect!

Divius

^Ben slechts 1 keer in Antwerpen geweest voor een kroegentocht, maar wil zeker nog een keer terug. Mooie stad ook!

sohois

I really want a Mitraillette.

That is all. Well also some St. Bernardus. And perhaps some Moules Frites. And a Gueze(sp?).

soepje

Leuke OP!
^Ben slechts 1 keer in Antwerpen geweest voor een kroegentocht, maar wil zeker nog een keer terug. Mooie stad ook!
Groenplaats! Echt mooi en gezellig, vooral in de zomer. Moet binnenkort maar weer eens een weekendje boeken.

Irish guy who worked in Brussels for a couple of years dropping by to say that Frites + Andalouse (am i spelling that right?) > Frites + Mayo.

Yea, I said it.

(Love your country btw)

AllenShrz

I LOVE Belgium to no end, fantastic county and people.

I miss Ghent with all my heart.

The beer, the best world wide, except for Duvel, Jupiler and similars.

okdakor

Love Belgium, a really welcoming country

This is Belgium by Radio Soulwax

There was a brief period between 1987 and 1989 where Belgium, of all places, was pushing the envelope in electronic music. It preceded England's 'second summer of love' and was probably our equivalent of it, in that a whole generation's lives quite rapidly became based around taking ecstasy, dressing up, going clubbing and dancing to an odd, slowed down hypnotic mix of New Wave, Acid, EBM and everything else that sounded good. New Beat became a real craze that would attract thousands of ravers from all over Europe to Belgium's newly thriving club scene every weekend and inspired hundreds of releases that stormed the Belgian charts, regardless of it being completely ignored by the media and radio because it was not seen as "real" music. It was counterculture of the cheapest kind and due to its massive success, it quickly became very cheesy and novelty based, but there was an amazing side to New Beat that was dark and messed up and our mix is based on those releases, with a few hits thrown in for good measure.

Top Bottom