• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Belgium-GAF |OT| De rest is parking

Doczu

Kijk is, bijna Nederlanders (grap, grap, grap)!
Groeten uit Polen dames en heren, ik mis jullie lekkere bier en patat :(

We also have Brugges: (well maintained) old buildings and canals.
So it's kind of like Venice, except it doesn't smell like an open sewer in Brugge.

Ben ik den enige die verliefd is op Roos van Acker.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Belgium is the best.

Moved here from the Netherlands (via Finland) and the quality of life improved TWO-hundred percent since then.

Beer is best here.
Friet is best here.
Antwerp is one big restaurant.

Edit: So much beer, it is unbelievable.

Goldrusher

Belgian inventions:

world wide web

Robert Cailliau (French: [kajo]; born 26 January 1947) is a Belgian informatics engineer and computer scientist who, together with Tim Berners-Lee, developed the World Wide Web.

movies

Joseph Antoine Ferdinand Plateau (14 October 1801 – 15 September 1883) was a Belgian physicist. He was the first person to demonstrate the illusion of a moving image. To do this he used counter rotating disks with repeating drawn images in small increments of motion on one and regularly spaced slits in the other. He called this device of 1832 the phenakistoscope.

the modern map

The Mercator projection is a cylindrical map projection presented by the Flemish geographer and cartographer Gerardus Mercator in 1569. It became the standard map projection

automobile

Father Ferdinand Verbiest (9 October 1623 – 28 January 1688) was a Flemish Jesuit missionary in China during the Qing dynasty. During the 1670s, Verbiest designed what some claim to be the first ever self-propelled vehicle – many claim this as the world's first automobile, in spite of its small size and the lack of evidence that it was actually built.

combustion engine

Jean Joseph Étienne Lenoir also known as Jean J. Lenoir (12 January 1822 – 4 August 1900) was a Belgian engineer who developed the internal combustion engine in 1858. Prior designs for such engines were patented as early as 1807, but none were commercially successful. Lenoir's engine was commercialized in sufficient quantities to be considered a success, a first for the internal combustion engine.

electric motor

Zénobe Théophile Gramme (4 April 1826, Amay - 20 January 1901) was a Belgian electrical engineer. He invented the Gramme machine, a type of direct current dynamo capable of generating smoother (less AC) and much higher voltages than the dynamos known to that point.[1]
In 1873 he and Hippolyte Fontaine accidentally discovered that the device was reversible and would spin when connected to any DC power supply. The Gramme machine was the first usefully powerful electrical motor that was successful industrially.

electric railway

Charles Joseph Van Depoele (Lichtervelde, 27 April 1846 – 18 March 1892) was an electrical engineer, inventor, and pioneer in electric railway technology, including the first trolley pole.

machine gun

Toussaint-Henry-Joseph Fafchamps, sometimes spelled Fafschamps, was a Belgian Army Captain. In 1851, with the Belgian gunsmith Joseph Montigny and the Fusnot company,[1] he developed what is sometimes considered the first machine gun in history,[2] 10 years before the advent of the Gatling gun.

plastic

Leo Henricus Arthur Baekeland (November 14, 1863 – February 23, 1944) was a Belgium born, American chemist. He invented Velox photographic paper in 1893 and Bakelite in 1907. His invention of Bakelite, an inexpensive, nonflammable, versatile, and popular plastic, marked the beginning of the modern plastics industry.

neoprene (wetsuits)

Reverend Julius Aloysius (Arthur) Nieuwland, CSC, Ph.D., (14 February 1878 – 11 June 1936) was a Belgian-born Holy Cross priest and professor of chemistry and botany at the University of Notre Dame. He is known for his contributions to acetylene research and its use as the basis for one type of synthetic rubber, which eventually led to the invention of neoprene by DuPont.

asphalt

Modern road asphalt was the work of Belgian immigrant Edward de Smedt at Columbia University in New York City. By 1872, De Smedt had engineered a modern, "well-graded," maximum-density asphalt. The first uses of this road asphalt were in Battery Park and on Fifth Avenue in New York City in 1872 and on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C., in 1877.

modern soda production

The Solvay process or ammonia-soda process is the major industrial process for the production of soda ash (valued primarily for its content of sodium carbonate). The ammonia-soda process was developed into its modern form by Ernest Solvay during the 1860s.

modern oil paint

Jan van Eyck (or Johannes de Eyck) (Dutch: [ˈjɑn vɑn ˈɛjk]; before c. 1390 – before c. 9 July 1441) was a Flemish painter active in Bruges and is generally considered one of the most significant Northern European painters of the 15th century. His revolutionary approach to oil was such that a myth, perpetuated by Giorgio Vasari, arose that he had invented oil painting.

foundations of human anatomy

Andreas Vesalius (31 December 1514 – 15 October 1564) was a Brabantian (in modern-day Belgium) anatomist, physician, and author of one of the most influential books on human anatomy, De humani corporis fabrica (On the Fabric of the Human Body). Vesalius is often referred to as the founder of modern human anatomy.

documentation

Paul Marie Ghislain Otlet (/ɒtˈleɪ/; French: [ɔtle]; 23 August 1868 – 10 December 1944) was a Belgian author, entrepreneur, visionary, lawyer and peace activist; he is one of several people who have been considered the father of information science, a field he called "documentation". Otlet created the Universal Decimal Classification, one of the most prominent examples of faceted classification. Otlet was responsible for the widespread adoption in Europe of the standard American 3x5 inch index card used until recently in most library catalogs around the world.

Otlet's writings have sometimes been called prescient of the current World Wide Web. His vision of a great network of knowledge was centered on documents and included the notions of hyperlinks, search engines, remote access, and social networks—although these notions were described by different names.

botox

In 1897, Emile van Ermengem found the producer of the botulin toxin was a bacterium, which he named Clostridium botulinum.

saxophone

Antoine-Joseph "Adolphe" Sax (6 November 1814 – c. 7 February 1894[1]) was a Belgian musical instrument designer and musician who played the flute and clarinet, and is well known for having invented the saxophone.

diamonds

Lodewyk van Berken was a mid- to late-15th century Flemish [1] jeweller and diamond cutter, renowned in the industry for inventing the scaif. The device revolutionized the diamond cutting industry and contributed to increased popularity of diamonds.

roller skates

The first patented roller skate was introduced in 1760 by Belgian inventor John Joseph Merlin. His roller skate wasn't much more than an ice skate with wheels where the blade goes, (a style we would call inlines today). They were hard to steer and hard to stop and as such were not very popular. The initial "test pilot" of the first prototype of the skate was in the city of Huy.

Not too shabby.

Doczu

Historisch gezien zijn we al eens Nederlanders geweest.

Voor 15 jaar, niet? Ik heb wel een stuk van Nederlandse/Vlaamse geschiedenis geleerd tijdens mijn studie. Nog nooit in Belgie geweest, dus de volgende keer als ik met vakantie naar Nederland ga, gaik een stukje meer naar zuiden.
Oh, en hoe is het werkelijk tussen jullie en Nederlanders? Al die grappen nemen jullie toch niet serieus?

Metrotab

Banned
De échte delicatesse van ons landje:

bxhrcy1r.jpg

Sooooooo goooodd.....

Een der beste studentenhaps! Wordt dat zelfs verkocht in het buitenland? Nog nooit ergens anders gezien.

Oh, en hoe is het werkelijk tussen jullie en Nederlanders? Al die grappen nemen jullie toch niet serieus?

Voor zover ik weet heeft niemand echt een probleem met Nederlanders. Wat stereotiepe toogpraat, en een dronken hooligan misschien, maar er is geen historische bloedstrijd ofzo. Je voelt wel dat het toch twee verschillende culturen zijn.

profit

Ik neem aan dat de meesten die niet serieus nemen nee. Hoewel de taal hetzelfde is zijn het gewoon ook twee verschillende culturen.
Elke keer ik in Nederland kom verschiet ik ervan hoe vriendelijk ze zijn in horeca zaken. Zelf in een McDonalds word je met een grote glimlach bediend. Als je dit vergelijkt met in België.... Ik ga de laatste tijd zelf niet graag meer uiteten omdat iedereen daar maar loopt te werken tegen zijn zin.

Mijn vriendin werkt zelf ook tijdelijk in de horeca en zij "klaagt" altijd wel over Nederlanders dat ze gierig zijn :D. Of hun "overdreven" taalgebruik (Leuk! Jaaaaa Lekker, gezellig seg!). Ik doe haar dan wel elke keer aan herinneren wat ze leuker vind, een typische Belg die bij wijze van spreke maar wat gromt, of een persoon die tenminste wat enthousiast doet; en dan geeft ze me telkens wel gelijk.

Doczu

Ik neem aan dat de meesten die niet serieus nemen nee. Hoewel de taal hetzelfde is zijn het gewoon ook twee verschillende culturen.
Elke keer ik in Nederland kom verschiet ik ervan hoe vriendelijk ze zijn in horeca zaken. Zelf in een McDonalds word je met een grote glimlach bediend. Als je dit vergelijkt met in België.... Ik ga de laatste tijd zelf niet graag meer uiteten omdat iedereen daar maar loopt te werken tegen zijn zin.

Mijn vriendin werkt zelf ook tijdelijk in de horeca en zij "klaagt" altijd wel over Nederlanders dat ze gierig zijn :D. Of hun "overdreven" taalgebruik (Leuk! Jaaaaa Lekker, gezellig seg!). Ik doe haar dan wel elke keer aan herinneren wat ze leuker vind, een typische Belg die bij wijze van spreke maar wat gromt, of een persoon die tenminste wat enthousiast doet; en dan geeft ze me telkens wel gelijk.

Met gromende Belgen werk ik elke dag. Ik werk voor een Belgische telekom bedrijf (maar in het buitenland) en soms moet ik naar klanten bellen voor info. Nou, soms lijkt het alsof ze met niemand willen praten. En zelfs als ze willen praten: al die dialecten. Man, wat een hoop problemen :(

Ringo

Voor 15 jaar, niet? Ik heb wel een stuk van Nederlandse/Vlaamse geschiedenis geleerd tijdens mijn studie. Nog nooit in Belgie geweest, dus de volgende keer als ik met vakantie naar Nederland ga, gaik een stukje meer naar zuiden.

We zijn door de eeuwen heen door zowat ieder omliggend land wel al eens ingelijfd geweest (en ooit door Spanje), wat denk ik ervoor zorgt dat de gemiddelde Vlaming 3 talen kent en daarnaast nog wel wat noties heeft van een paar andere talen.

Die grapjes nemen we natuurlijk niet serieus...we lachen namelijk graag met onszelf en zeker als het herkenbare humor is...moet je anders maar eens onze huidige stand-up comedians bekijken (bvb. Xander Derycke).

Duo014

Al 8 jaar een member :/ en heb al vele belgische gaffers ontmoet. Maar godverdomme kheb nu wel honger gekregen van deze thread xD.

Ringo

Al 8 jaar een member :/ en heb al vele belgische gaffers ontmoet. Maar godverdomme kheb nu wel honger gekregen van deze thread xD.

Frieten zijn toch echt wel een deel van onze cultuur...ga naar een restaurant en het eerst dat je gaat vragen is of je frieten kan krijgen bij je gerecht zelfs al is het tagliatelli met zalm.

Goldrusher

You forgot the saxophone...

Alright... added a couple more.

botox

In 1897, Emile van Ermengem found the producer of the botulin toxin was a bacterium, which he named Clostridium botulinum.

saxophone

Antoine-Joseph "Adolphe" Sax (6 November 1814 – c. 7 February 1894[1]) was a Belgian musical instrument designer and musician who played the flute and clarinet, and is well known for having invented the saxophone.

diamonds

Lodewyk van Berken was a mid- to late-15th century Flemish [1] jeweller and diamond cutter, renowned in the industry for inventing the scaif. The device revolutionized the diamond cutting industry and contributed to increased popularity of diamonds.

roller skates

The first patented roller skate was introduced in 1760 by Belgian inventor John Joseph Merlin. His roller skate wasn't much more than an ice skate with wheels where the blade goes, (a style we would call inlines today). They were hard to steer and hard to stop and as such were not very popular. The initial "test pilot" of the first prototype of the skate was in the city of Huy.

Joqu

I never thought we'd get a thread. This is great. ;;

How many Walloons are here by the way? I'd post in dutch like most people seem to be doing but I don't want to scare you guys away. <3

Dawg

How many Walloons are here by the way? I'd post in dutch like most people seem to be doing but I don't want to scare you guys away. <3

Walloons don't have internet

Raiden

Banned
Kitsuné;86923216 said:
This right here man! Best city in the world as far as I'm concerned, and the one I'm glad to call my hometown.

Same here. A 20 minute walk from my place (near the Kinepolis)

Joqu

Walloons don't have internet

I thought they only lacked souls but hey I wouldn't know. I haven't been able to catch my Walloon yet.

Antwerp represent! One of my favorite cities. But Gent is nice too.
Man I can't stand Antwerp. It might just be the crummy neighbourhood I live in, but I want to move out of this place as soon as possible. :/

Chuckie

asphalt

Modern road asphalt was the work of Belgian immigrant Edward de Smedt at Columbia University in New York City. By 1872, De Smedt had engineered a modern, "well-graded," maximum-density asphalt. The first uses of this road asphalt were in Battery Park and on Fifth Avenue in New York City in 1872 and on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C., in 1877.

Too bad they haven't changed it since :(

Apart from the roads I love Belgium!

Denzar

We also have Brugges: (well maintained) old buildings and canals.
So it's kind of like Venice, except it doesn't smell like an open sewer in Brugge.

Ben ik den enige die verliefd is op Roos van Acker.

Roos Van Acker et 'em gern in de ...

Neeje, Bruges is still a total shithole to live in though. Nothing to do as youngster and those fucking tourists man. Only British, American and Australians are awesome.

Dawg

Roos Van Acker et 'em gern in de ...

Neeje, Bruges is still a total shithole to live in though. Nothing to do as youngster and those fucking tourists man. Only British, American and Australians are awesome.

Well, I do like getting everywhere in Bruges with my bike. Can even go to Kinepolis etc, I didn't have that before. (I've lived in Westend and Middelkerke, now that was bad.)

Goldrusher

You're describing a perfect city.
Quiet and peaceful, and millions of tourists to pay the taxes.

If you want to do something, go to London, Paris or Amsterdam.
You live right in the middle. You could wake up early and eat breakfast in London, lunch in Paris, a "vieruurke" in Antwerp, catch a movie in Amsterdam and you might even be back home before midnight.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
yess Smolders, was just t zelfde aan t denken. keun

Eva Daeleman hele tijd in de Slimste Mens, mag er ook wel wezen

Of Joy Anna Thielemans hnngh

Joy-anna-thielemans-1371991898.png

Ringo

BelgiumGaf meet moet zeker kunnen...maar dan best in een café met ruime keuze aan bieren en jenevers, liefst in de omgeving van een goede frituur...dus ik stel de Vrijdagmarkt voor in Gent.

Ik heb 18 jaar van mijn leven gedeeld met Isolde Lasoen van Daan...helaas enkel tijdens schooluren.

Isolde+Lasoen+isoldelasoen250.jpg

alba

Little is the new Big

Over here, we seem to be the minority because this is mainly an English speaking board so that's not really surprising now is it? ;)

Liege ftw! :D

Raiden

Banned
Mijn zus heeft op school gezeten met Erika van Tielen, blijkbaar een verschrikkelijke bitch.

Cute though

Ja hoor ik ook van alle kanten die ze in persoon kennen. Maarja ..still would you know :p

BelgiumGaf meet moet zeker kunnen...maar dan best in een café met ruime keuze aan bieren en jenevers, liefst in de omgeving van een goede frituur...dus ik stel de Vrijdagmarkt voor in Gent.

Dan lijkt de Vlasmarkt mij een betere keuze, leukere bars en paar deftige frituren in de buurt. Plus daar is de Charlatan :)

Ik weet niet meer wie het voorgesteld had, maar een diner in de gekroonde hoofden alvorens te gaan drinken is ook een perfect idee! :p

Ja hoor ik ook van alle kanten die ze in persoon kennen. Maarja ..still would you know :p

Dan lijkt de Vlasmarkt mij een betere keuze, leukere bars en paar deftige frituren in de buurt. Plus daar is de Charlatan :)

we kunnen beginnen op de vrijdagmarkt en dan door naar vlasmarkt é, das vlak bij mijn deur :p (serpentstraat)

een goede frituur...dus ik stel de Vrijdagmarkt

De Jozef is een beest!!

Ik stem voor de dulle griet of het waterhuis aan de bierkant.
Daarna kan nog steeds afgezakt worden naar de Charlatan.

Een westvlaming hier die na zijn studies in Gent is blijven plakken...

Ryan_

Bruges is the best city ever.

I would say Ghent and Bruges.

Also, I'm totally up for a meeting!

And I'll say again what I said in my thread about meeting a weird Scientology lady,

Every GAFer who comes to Free Record Shop Knokke on Sunday has 25% discount!
Just pretend that you're family or a very close friend.

Dawg

I would say Ghent and Bruges.

Also, I'm totally up for a meeting!

And I'll say again what I said in my thread about meeting a weird Scientology lady,

Every GAFer who comes to Free Record Shop Knokke on Sunday has 25% discount!
Just pretend that you're family or a very close friend.

I'm your new best friend.

Top Bottom