• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best arcade racer this gen Ridge Racer V or Outrun 2?

Even though I loved RR5. I'm gonna have to go with Outrun 2.
I like how you have to weave your way through trafic while your racing even while your car is sideways and in the middle of a powerslide.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, I have not played enough Outrun 2 yet, so I can't judge. From what I have played, I think I still prefer Ridge Racer V for a variety of reasons...but I must wait until I have the XBOX release in my hands and have played it for a while before making that call.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There's no question that Outrun 2 is a far better game than RRV in pretty much every aspect. Namco clearly rushed out RRV to make the PS2 launch; the game could have been so much better. I would love to see a new Ridge Racer game on the PS2/Xbox/GC from Namco, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

IMO all the AM2-made Sega arcade racers are the best though. You can't beat Daytona, Daytona 2, Super GT, etc. Even F355 Challenge is a better game compared to Namco's R: Racing Evolution.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Out of those two? RRV. There are several reasons why I feel this way but the biggest ones are that OR2 is too easy and that in RRV you actually race against other cars instead of against the clock. I say this based on my time with the arcade version of OR2. I have no idea if these problems were addressed in the home version.

dark10x

Lyte Edge said:
There's no question that Outrun 2 is a far better game than RRV in pretty much every aspect. Namco clearly rushed out RRV to make the PS2 launch; the game could have been so much better. I would love to see a new Ridge Racer game on the PS2/Xbox/GC from Namco, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

IMO all the AM2-made Sega arcade racers are the best though. You can't beat Daytona, Daytona 2, Super GT, etc. Even F355 Challenge is a better game compared to Namco's R: Racing Evolution.

For a rushed launch title, the level of polish applied to the game absolutely stomps 95% of the other racers out there.

JC10001 said:
Out of those two? RRV. There are several reasons why I feel this way but the biggest ones are that OR2 is too easy and that in RRV you actually race against other cars instead of against the clock. .

Yeah that's one big advantage for RRV. It's a great game.
I haven't played OR2 enough to know if it's too easy. It hasn't been that easy for me so far. Even though it's easy to go into a powerslide it takes seconds of your time so you should only use it at last resort. Not like RRV where you almost have to use it for each turn.

ElyrionX

The thread title says "Best arcade racer this gen" and does not even mention Burnout 3...................................................

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Haven't played either enough to judge. But I will anyway.

R4 = awesome :: RV = awesome
Outrun 2 has traffic :: Outrun 2 is not as awesome

And Burnout 3 is hardly the pure racer that Ridge Racer is.

man I might have to change my vote to RRV.

Just thinking about that "The race is about to begin..." and I remember in some of the later levels my palms getting sweaty as I try to make all the perfect lines during the race.

Miburou

Having played BO3 recently, I'd say that game is way overrated (here and in the media).

Anyway, I love, love, love RRV. I played it again last month, and for a 4 year old launch (and supposedly rushed) game, it held up pretty damn well.

jarrod

Banned
BurnOut 3 wasn't released in arcades... it's up to...

-18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-Boat Race: Ocean Hearts (Sega)
-F1 World Grand Prix (Video System/Visco)
-F335 Challenge (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-F355 Challenge Twin (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-F355 Challenge 2: International Course Edition (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-F355 Challenge 2: International Course Edition Twin (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-Wave Runner GP (Sega/Wow Entertainment)
-NASCAR Arcade (Sega/Sega Rosso)
-Star Wars Racer Arcade (Sega/Sega Rosso)
-Alpine Racer 3 (Namco)
-Battle Gear 3 (Taito)
-Battle Gear 3 Tuned (Taito)
-Ridge Racer V: Arcade Battle (Namco)
-Samurai Surf X (Namco)
-Wangan Midnight (Namco/Genki)
-Wangan Midnight: Maxi Boost (Namco/Genki)
-Wangan Midnight R (Namco/Genki)
-Club Kart: European Session (Sega/Hitmaker!)
-Club Kart Prize (Sega/Hitmaker!)
-Cycraft Initial D (Sega/Hitmaker!)
-Initial D : Arcade Stage (Sega/Sega Rosso)
-Initial D : Arcade Stage Ver 2 (Sega/Sega Rosso)
-Initial D : Arcade Stage Ver 3 (Sega/Hitmaker!)
-Soul Surfer (Sega/Sega Rosso)
-The King Of Route 66 (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-Wild Riders (Sega/Wow Entertainment)
-F-Zero AX (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-F-Zero AX: Monster Ride (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Outrun 2 (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-Outrun 2SP: Outrun 2 Special Tours (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-Faster than Speed (Sammy)
-Maximum Speed (Sammy)
-R.P.M. Red: Tuned Car Championship (Konami)
-Need for Speed GT (Global VR/EA)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
burnout 3 isn't really a racing game: there's little incentive to make the turns, and the rubberband ai makes going fast counterproductive. it isn't particularly arcadey either; i wouldn't define "arcade" simply as "the absence of realism." i'd file burnout 3 under XTREME SPORTS or something.

can't answer the question posed by the topic until i've actually played outrun 2. but ridge racer v fucking rocks.

Brofist

-Alpine Racer 3 (Namco)
-Battle Gear 3 (Taito)
-Samurai Surf X (Namco)
-Maximum Speed (Sammy)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You can race against up to seven other opponents in Outrun 2, WITH the traffic (or without it!) on top of that. And let's not forget that OR2 has online play for up to eight players as well. RRV's 2P mode blew.

Both games are definitely quite overrated (as is everything else) on this board, but the RRV love in particular is pretty puzzling to me. Namco dropped the ball with Ridge Racer this generation.

dark10x

Lyte Edge said:
You can race against up to seven other opponents in Outrun 2, WITH the traffic (or without it!) on top of that. And let's not forget that OR2 has online play for up to eight players as well. RRV's 2P mode blew.

Both games are definitely quite overrated (as is everything else) on this board, but the RRV love in particular is pretty puzzling to me. Namco dropped the ball with Ridge Racer this generation.

I love Outrun 2, but I actually DO dislike racing with traffic.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
drohne said:
burnout 3 isn't really a racing game: there's little incentive to make the turns, and the rubberband ai makes going fast counterproductive. it isn't particularly arcadey either; i wouldn't define "arcade" simply as "the absence of realism." i'd file burnout 3 under XTREME SPORTS or something.

A winner is Burnout 1!!!!

Elios83

Ridge Racer, the series. The sense of competition, the challenge to actually *win* that this series provides is unmatched imho.

Ranger X

Within your 2 choices, Outrun 2 wins. Both are quite old school arcade racers but Outrun 2 levels are better and more diverse. I also personnaly prefer the exagerated way of drifting in Outrun 2.

almokla said:
MARIOOOOOOOOOO KAAAAAAAAARRRTTTTTTT :p

I'm assuming this is a sarcastic joke. That said, how there can be any thread about the best racer of this generation and not any mention F-Zero shows a huge anti-Nintendo bias.

dark10x

ravingloon said:
I'm assuming this is a sarcastic joke. That said, how there can be any thread about the best racer of this generation and not any mention F-Zero shows a huge anti-Nintendo bias.

F-Zero is not the same type of racer...

dark10x said:
F-Zero is not the same type of racer...
Agreed, but it does fall under the broad catagory of arcade racer, so does Burnout, for that matter.

What this thread is actually asking is what is the best arcade racer that is so tight that it could be (or is) an actual arcade game. And for that question RRV and OutRun 2 are of course excellent canidates. I wonder if PGR is close enough to be considered...

dark10x

MarkRyan said:
But F-Zero is an actual arcade game.

Yes, but it is a futuristic racing game like Wipeout or something. I just don't consider them to be in the same category as games like Ridger Racer or Daytona. They play very differently...

jarrod said:
BurnOut 3 wasn't released in arcades... it's up to...

-Alpine Racer 3 (Namco)
-Battle Gear 3 (Taito)
-Samurai Surf X (Namco)
-Maximum Speed (Sammy)

Well if thats the case....

F-Zero AX: Monster Ride (Sega/Amusement Vision)

dark10x said:
Yes, but it is a futuristic racing game like Wipeout or something. I just don't consider them to be in the same category as games like Ridger Racer or Daytona. They play very differently...
yeah....for me a racer must have wheels, made from rubber... and cars must have real engines that sound like engines... not some "stupid" spaceboy stuff..

Best arcade racer this gen is a three-way tie:

Sega Rally 2
Ridge Racer V
Outrun 2

And the runner-up: Rush 2049

Please keep Burnout 3 out of this thread, it's not even a racing game, let alone an arcade racing game. And Initial D is single stupidest racing game Sega has ever made.

Top Bottom