• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best arcade racer this gen Ridge Racer V or Outrun 2?

Miburou

How the heck is RRV "rushed"? It's not buggy, it has no glitches, it doesn't crash. It also has a lot of unlockable stuff, and the content is more or less in line with that of the rest of the series.

dark10x said:
Yes, but it is a futuristic racing game like Wipeout or something. I just don't consider them to be in the same category as games like Ridger Racer or Daytona. They play very differently...

Well I consider F-Zero to play a hell of a lot more like Daytona than Outrun. No game this generation reminds me more of Daytona/Scud Racer than F-Zero. Seeing the Scud Racer/Daytona tracks bastardized with Outrun's outdated, powerslide your way around everything and remove all skill gameplay makes me wanna shed a tear.

Shompola

Banned
RR V is such an overrated game. I recently played it for the first time and was thinking this is what people on GAF allways talk about? lol....

Miburou

Shompola said:
RR V is such an overrated game. I recently played it for the first time and was thinking this is what people on GAF allways talk about? lol....

I can say the same about 3/4 of the games people here rave about.

FortNinety said:
R4 > RR V all the way baby.

If you don't like a challenge, sure.

BeOnEdge

Banned
R4 is definately better than RRV by miles but RRV is damn good too. ridge city is just beautiful in r5. its so full of "life".

ourumov

R4 is definately better than RRV by miles but RRV is damn good too. ridge city is just beautiful in r5. its so full of "life".
LOL

Ridge Racer V is the best arcade racer this gen by a long shot. It offfers an awesome gameplay with a perfect learning curve, awesome environments that no game has surpassed so far, a technish soundtrack mixed by master Mijk Van Dijk and graphics that still look awesome.
That said I can't understand how anyone would prefer RRT4 to it. RRT4 has crap gameplay when it comes to the drifting system. Sure the game is stylish as hell but when your gameplay sucks and you are an arcade racer...something fails.

In my mind only one game can top RRV and this is F-Zero GX. Awesome job done there but RRV wins because of its infamous gameplay again.
There is no other racing game that has hooked me so much as RRV has done during the last 2 years.

BeOnEdge

Banned
ourumov said:
LOL

Ridge Racer V is the best arcade racer this gen by a long shot. It offfers an awesome gameplay with a perfect learning curve, awesome environments that no game has surpassed so far, a technish soundtrack mixed by master Mijk Van Dijk and graphics that still look awesome.
That said I can't understand how anyone would prefer RRT4 to it. RRT4 has crap gameplay when it comes to the drifting system. Sure the game is stylish as hell but when your gameplay sucks and you are an arcade racer...something fails.

In my mind only one game can top RRV and this is F-Zero GX. Awesome job done there but RRV wins because of its infamous gameplay again.
There is no other racing game that has hooked me so much as RRV has done during the last 2 years.

r4 is more outrunish if that makes sense. it has a more relaxed pace, more relaxed play, music, surreal looking enviroment. its almost a dreamlike experience playing r4. then they added stories to complete the package. R4 was definately a fluke but a damn good one.

ourumov

I know RRT4 has a better feeling of game. I won't deny the music was certainly A-W-E-S-O-M-E (seems like an OST made by St. Germain !), the presentation was superb and the cars and environments looked good and there were enough different "samples".

But when I am at the controller, running the second lap of a race in RRT4 in first place...I feel I am not playing a Ridge Racer. I feel I am playing some nice racing game but that's all. The drifting feeling that both Ridge Racer/Revolution/Rave Racer offered isn't present !
That's a thing also happened to me with Rage Racer...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Rage > RR5 > R1/2 >>>>> R4

How can anyone possibly debate this ranking?

I really dug F-zero GX even if a good fraction of the track layouts were pretty lacking. I'd most easilly rank it ahead of Burnout 3. The bump and grind as well as the cornering actually requires graceful consideration.

Outrun 2 could be some really silly fun, but it would truly have to impress to make it the gen leader.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shompola said:

Well, if you only play for a short while and go in with the intention of proving people wrong...you probably won't like it. :p It's like that for a lot of games...

When Ridge Racer XII and Burnout 174 are on the shelves, I'll still be going back to Outrun 2. Heck, I still play Outrun 1 from time to time.

Playing Outrun 2 is as good as making sex to Sega and a Ferrari at the same time. Therefore Outrun 2 wins.

Superbone

Wow, I had no idea RRV was so vaunted around these parts. I was only able to give it a superficial run after it came out. I'll have to go back and check it out.

nitewulf

when is outrun 2 coming out anyway? all of the anti-outrun 2 bitching is now making me wait till it drops to 20. i should pick up a copy of RR V as well i suppose.
how come no one mentioned a Need For Speed game? the way they sell, i'd think thats a popular series.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Superbone said:
Wow, I had no idea RRV was so vaunted around these parts. I was only able to give it a superficial run after it came out. I'll have to go back and check it out.

please dont ever use the word vaunted again.

callous

nitewulf said:
when is outrun 2 coming out anyway? all of the anti-outrun 2 bitching is now making me wait till it drops to 20. i should pick up a copy of RR V as well i suppose.
how come no one mentioned a Need For Speed game? the way they sell, i'd think thats a popular series.

Because ...

"Which is better, Ridge Racer series or Need For Speed series?"

Like, no.

BeOnEdge

Banned
rage racer sucks IMO. its the most un ridge racer like game of the whole series. i hated the whole european countryside theme.

Ranger X

I just played the Outrun 2 demo today and i'm not all that impressed.
I mean the game is very well converted but having a streering wheel and sit on it's arcade cabinet was part of the experience i guess. The drift and turning is less precise with the controller.

Brandon F said:
Rage > RR5 > R1/2 >>>>> R4

IAWTP

I still play RR5 every week or so (trying to remove CPU time trial records entirely from the game) because the core racing experience is just so fun. Every time I try R4 or RR64, the power sliding feels broken by comparison (and it nearly does too in Rage Racer, but that game at least has enough awesome break-drive cars to make up for it)

Miburou

I don't get BeOnEdge. His opinion on racers, at least, seems so spot on, but then he ruins it by naming R4 as his favorite RR game.

And Rage Racer was great in its day, but RRV is so much more refined.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
IMO Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer 2, and Rave Racer (for their time) were very much up there, but it started going downhill with Rage Racer. Mind you, Rage and R4 are awesome racers, but by that time, the Sega racers had just gotten that much better, and Namco's "on rails drifting" game play remains in their games even today.

I notice posts about RRV's music and "style." That's what it is about a lot of Namco games; there's a lot of flash and more style over substance, and because of it, their arcade games don't last as long as some of the competitions. I still see people going back and playing Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA. The same thing can't be said about Tekken 2 and Ridge Racer 2.

Don't think I'm hating on Ridge Racer though; I love the series and own every home version of the game that's been released, even RR64 (if you want to count that). But the Sega racers have the better game play and last far longer overall.

ourumov

I still see people going back and playing Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA. The same thing can't be said about Tekken 2 and Ridge Racer 2.
Barcelona, NEw Park Arcade Center, 2004:

There are only 4 machines that resist the years (talking about racing games). They are:

-Ridge Racer 1 (with the 1:1 Miata)
-Daytona USA
-Daytona USA 2
-SEGA RALLY 2

All the others are either removed or empty. F Zero GX only lasted 1 month and Outrun 2 is always empty. And so I could go on on tons of games like Initial D, Thrill Drive...
Ok, you were right and deffinitelly SEGA has a formula when it comes to racing games. But Ridge Racer is still there, people doesn't forget it and still pay for it despite being the most expensive game on the saloon and being more than 10 years old.

Burnout 3 is the best arcade racer this gen.

RR5 and Outrun 2 fail to eclipse Burnout 2, let alone get anywhere near the masterpiece that is Burnout 3.

Trojan X

Banned
Burnout 3 is an "Action Car" game.

In my opinion out of the two RRV and Outrun2 then I have to say Outrun 2 but not by a landslide. If I have to say out of all the Arcade racing then without a doubt it has to be:

vortal_pic_18382.jpg

XS+

Banned
Cazy Taxi doesn't qualify as a racer, does it? Still a better game than O2 or RRV imo.

This gen has been pretty weak for arcade racing (especially compared to Sega and Namco's godly run in the genre during the 90s), so I'll vote for RRV, then F-Zero.

Top Bottom