• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best BT client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarishBHR

Ive tried Azureus and ABC, as well as some other randoms... my problem is ABC seems to slow and Azu brings down my PC big time (although its mega fast). Why is this the case, and which client should I use?

Chrono

Banned
I don't think there's that much of a difference between the big clients. As long as you're not using the original one. :p

I just got the latest ABC one and it's downloading Future Boy Conan with no problems and pretty fast. My only complain is that it lists total number of seeds/peers as question marks.

Trevelyon

KarishBHR said:
Ive tried Azureus and ABC, as well as some other randoms... my problem is ABC seems to slow and Azu brings down my PC big time (although its mega fast). Why is this the case, and which client should I use?

Are all the necessary BT ports open? check to see if some ports are being blocked by your router, firewall or ICF.

Trevelyon said:
Are all the necessary BT ports open? check to see if some ports are being blocked by your router, firewall or ICF.

I love you. I have always had that yellow connection thing and really slow downloads and didn't think much of it. But I tried forwarding the ports (I dunno why I never did that) and my downloads are all going at full speed and what not. I appreciate it. :p

Sagitario

DarthWufei said:
I love you. I have always had that yellow connection thing and really slow downloads and didn't think much of it. But I tried forwarding the ports (I dunno why I never did that) and my downloads are all going at full speed and what not. I appreciate it. :p

Sorry for my ignorance... but how did you do that? I'm such a newbe when is about firewalls, ports, routers, etc...

Friend

Each client supports different features but I don't think any client is any faster than another. I personally use ABC but there are probably better clients out there.

Farore said:
Sorry for my ignorance... but how did you do that? I'm such a newbe when is about firewalls, ports, routers, etc...

I had to do it within my router, since it was what was blocking my connections. Basically it has an option to to do port forward per IP address. So I just had it forward ports 6881 to 6999. Things work really well now actually. Tomorrow I'll work on fixing them up for multiple PCs. So yeah, if you have a router you should ahve an option to forward ports somewhere in the configuration menu.

If you're behind a firewall, it should have the same options, but I'm not too sure how to do it in ICF or anything. Just Zonealarm sense it's pretty easy as there's an option to let certain ports be open or whatever. You just might have to google it.

Trevelyon

DarthWufei said:
If you're behind a firewall, it should have the same options, but I'm not too sure how to do it in ICF or anything. Just Zonealarm sense it's pretty easy as there's an option to let certain ports be open or whatever. You just might have to google it.

If you have XP you'll have the ICF, which is a weaksauce firewall that comes with XP, all you need to do with that is go into your network connection, select the current connection your using, then click the Advance tab>settings>then 'add' for the port/s you want forwarded & then you're rolling.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Azureus is great feature wise, but its java, and seemingly pretty poorly optimised java, well for me anyway, it just eats memory.

I use shadows experiemental 'cause its simple and gets the job done, getting the ability to change bittorrent ports is the most important thing as ISPs have started trying to cut down peoples BT usage.

KarishBHR

Ive tested them all, and after about 7 clients... I must say that BitComet is the best. You all saw how I loved Bitspirit, well this is pretty much the same thing but with a cleaner interface and less loading time. Go get it now!

Pimpwerx

I use ABC. I can't imagine Azureus being a bigger computer drain than this. It's not CPU time, it's disk access. On a 30GB 4200rpm laptyop drive with less than 10GB free, it takes a few minutes to run hash checks on each file, and it can cripple a lot of other processes if I'm working on like 5 files at a time. I'm really missing the speed and convenience of p2p progs like Kazaa, but then again, BT's content is much more reliable. No one's gonna seed a whole album of fake songs. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom