• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget laptop/tablet for on the go?

Mistake

So I'm looking at doing some remote work and a bit of traveling. My main concerns with a new device are being able to type well enough, the weight because I'll be carrying it everywhere, and camera or audio quality for calls. Battery life would be a plus, but I know I can't expect miracles on a budget. Audio quality can be solved with headphones, so that's no big deal. I'll go as high as 850, but obviously I want as much bang for my buck as possible.

My current thinking for tablets, like an ipad, is that I can transfer everything from my phone, but also read books easier when I want. Things would be mostly setup, where as with a pc I'd have to molest it to my liking. My current pc is a windows 10 lenovo, but it's too heavy at 8lbs and a 15.6 screen. Only issue with ipads is that you pay a hefty price just to upgrade the space and ram when compared to a laptop, which I can upgrade myself, and maybe it won't last as long comparatively. But another benefit is being able to install a sim card when I don't have wifi.

Thoughts? Anyone here do business work on the go? What do you use?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For 850, I’d personally get an M2 MacBook Air, so long as you don’t mind macOS. Battery life and performance is insane on those, and they’re very light but with excellent build quality, and a great keyboard and trackpad. You wouldn’t be playing most games on it, though.

Just keep one big thing in mind. You almost always get what you pay for. If there’s a laptop that has suspiciously high specs for a low price, it’s probably because the specs that aren’t listed (build quality, battery lifespan, etc) are probably crappy. I can’t tell you how many budget laptops I’ve bought that essentially broke or lost some significant functionality within the first year or two.

Oh, also don’t get a tablet if you want to do remote work. It’s not worth the hassle of bringing and connecting peripherals. Just get a laptop.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
00303_6hVrYBLeJU0_1320MM_600x450.jpg

“Display: 15.6" 360Hz 1080p
CPU: Ryzen R9 5900HX (8-Core, 20MB Total Cache, up to 4.6GHz Max Boost Clock)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6
RAM: 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Storage: 2TB WD Black SN850X NVMe SSD
Storage: 1TB PC711 SK hynix NVMe SSD
Networking: 2.5Gbps Ethernet - Killer 1650x Wi-Fi 6 - Bluetooth 5.1
Webcam: 1280x720 - Windows Hello Face authentication login

Ports:
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A ports
1 SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port
1 SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port
1 HDMI 2.1 Output
1 Power DC In
1 2.5Gbps RJ-45 Ethernet port
1 Global 3.5mm Headset jack

Original power brick (240w) included - not pictured.

I've recently purchased a more powerful desktop PC and decided I didn't need a gaming laptop as well. I've reset it to a near fresh install of Windows 11 Home - I did install some manufacturer software (Alienware Command Center to turn on/off the RGB LEDs) and drivers but returned it to the Windows Out-of-Box Experience to setup for a new user.“

$750

I don’t know if that answers your question, the 15r3 worked for me well in 2019 and did such a great job of running games like Battlefield V, and Gears 5.

Puscifer

If it's remote work and everything is in the browser you're basically looking for a machine to act as a bootloader for Chrome at that point. Just get anything with good battery life and an SSD and large screen kindle for book reading.

Mistake

00303_6hVrYBLeJU0_1320MM_600x450.jpg

“Display: 15.6" 360Hz 1080p
CPU: Ryzen R9 5900HX (8-Core, 20MB Total Cache, up to 4.6GHz Max Boost Clock)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6
RAM: 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Storage: 2TB WD Black SN850X NVMe SSD
Storage: 1TB PC711 SK hynix NVMe SSD
Networking: 2.5Gbps Ethernet - Killer 1650x Wi-Fi 6 - Bluetooth 5.1
Webcam: 1280x720 - Windows Hello Face authentication login

Ports:
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A ports
1 SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port
1 SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port
1 HDMI 2.1 Output
1 Power DC In
1 2.5Gbps RJ-45 Ethernet port
1 Global 3.5mm Headset jack

Original power brick (240w) included - not pictured.

I've recently purchased a more powerful desktop PC and decided I didn't need a gaming laptop as well. I've reset it to a near fresh install of Windows 11 Home - I did install some manufacturer software (Alienware Command Center to turn on/off the RGB LEDs) and drivers but returned it to the Windows Out-of-Box Experience to setup for a new user.“

$750

I don’t know if that answers your question, the 15r3 worked for me well in 2019 and did such a great job of running games like Battlefield V, and Gears 5.
What is the weight on it? Seems like a better machine than the one I have currently haha. But like I said, I'll be carrying it a lot.
For 850, I’d personally get an M2 MacBook Air, so long as you don’t mind macOS. Battery life and performance is insane on those, and they’re very light but with excellent build quality, and a great keyboard and trackpad. You wouldn’t be playing most games on it, though.

Just keep one big thing in mind. You almost always get what you pay for. If there’s a laptop that has suspiciously high specs for a low price, it’s probably because the specs that aren’t listed (build quality, battery lifespan, etc) are probably crappy. I can’t tell you how many budget laptops I’ve bought that essentially broke or lost some significant functionality within the first year or two.

Oh, also don’t get a tablet if you want to do remote work. It’s not worth the hassle of bringing and connecting peripherals. Just get a laptop.
I found an M1 air with 16GB ram on ebay for $550. Seems like a better buy since it isn't that different from M2

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What is the weight on it? Seems like a better machine than the one I have currently haha. But like I said, I'll be carrying it a lot.

I found an M1 air with 16GB ram on ebay for $550. Seems like a better buy since it isn't that different from M2
Yeah, that’s a great deal.

ReBurn

Gold Member

The M1 is a good chip when paired with 16GB RAM. I ran a M1 MacBook Pro for a while and it was a great laptop.

Top Bottom