• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best PC browser?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since getting a new laptop, I've given Edge a try using InPrivate mode. Seems to work great. No more Google. Didn't even download Chrome.

For those of you using Firefox above, I have no idea how good it is, but maybe it is now. I used it probably like 15 years ago when it was a big deal and Google wasnt widely used yet. Then I noticed FF became super sluggish during that time so I bailed and never looked back going with Chrome.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Im using brave, but im getting annoyed with its search engine.

The results are pretty junky, i find myself going to google to get the expected/ desired results. Part of me wonders if its because im so conditioned to getting certain results from Google though. But like when brave is prompting me with shit from 2021 etc when im looking for recent articles then it makes me think its Braves fault

winjer

Gold Member
Im using brave, but im getting annoyed with its search engine.

The results are pretty junky, i find myself going to google to get the expected/ desired results. Part of me wonders if its because im so conditioned to getting certain results from Google though. But like when brave is prompting me with shit from 2021 etc when im looking for recent articles then it makes me think its Braves fault

Just change the default engine to Google.
You can also try Duck Duck Go.

Sonik

Do NOT use Chrome, it's spyware. Chromium is also a google trojan horse so avoid any browsers using it too. My favorite one is Waterfox that uses Firefox code but is more private and has more features. Unfortunately it was bought by an ad company but remains opensource and the only thing the company seems to care about for now is making certain search engines default to make money from them

Melon Husk

If you like battery efficiency, vertical tabs, and Windows: the answer is unironically Edge
Without preconditions, Firefox wins thanks to the addon selection

Last edited:

Mistake

I am now on librewolf. My second choice is Brave. My extensions work better on librewolf, but Brave sync is good if you bounce between devices. It doesn't require any kind of login

Firefox with ublock origin.

I’ve been testing the DuckDuckGo browser at work, and it’s nice! It blocks all trackers and ads without any extensions installed. It also has a private YouTube player with no ads.

nbcjr

i want to stop using chrome, but I have 100+ open tabs. is there any way to migrate from chrome to brave and keep everything?

nkarafo

I use firefox.

I also use the portable version.

All is saved in it's own folder. Bookmarks, history, passwords, addons, settings, whatever. All you have to do to back it up is copy + paste a few copies of the folder and you are set. You never have to re-install or re-set everything ever again. Heck, i'm using it for years now and i have no idea how to set everything i changed again on a fresh install ,lol. And i changed a lot.

It's not the only browser that has a portable form though. But it was the first i used and i always look for portable versions of any program that i want to use. Far more convenient and easier to backup offline.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

If you are a Firefox user, I recommend something like https://github.com/yokoffing/Betterfox as a source for some tweaks to improve things.

There's also LibreWolf as a variant of Firefox with added protections, but it requires some tweaking to be usable at times so it may be a bit much for a lot of people.

I'm not a fan of Chromium browsers, I don't like how they feel and I despise the font rendering. I'm very much used to Firefox and it hasn't let me down yet. I also have a Vivaldi installation for rare occasions, but I mainly just use it for Prime Video in HD and some permanent tabs that can be stacked nicely. It allows for a quick glance at various pages side by side.
The majority of my web browsing since Firebird switched to Firefox has been done with Firefox. I bought an iMac in 2007 and during those years I've used both Safari and Opera for extended periods of time. Since I built my current PC on 2015 I mainly have stuck with Firefox. My main reason is for wanting to support something other than a big corporation.

One day I learned of Betterbird so I began using that in place of Thunderbird (yes, I use a mail client). No idea if it's better than Thunderbird. I should have known there was a Betterfox.

I heard of Librewolf. At the time I believe it didn't work well with Windows so I passed. Either that or I decided it was too complicated to set up the way I wanted it. Now that I'm on Linux fulltime I should give those a try.

Trilobit

I loved Opera in the past. Mostly been using Firefox on my laptop. Trying out an add-on that enables Opera-like mouse-gestures. Loving it so far.

Top Bottom