• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best place to buy a Radeon x800 Pro??

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Just wondering if anyone knows any sites that ship this sucker over night at a reasonable price. Doom III is whispering to me.

O, and CompUsa won't have any high end Radeon/nVidia cards for another month. Damn.

I've heard several Best Buys around the country have been carrying the Pro's for a while now. It really varies by location though. You might want to check out your local ones regardless.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I checked other stores besides CompUsa. Best Buy was one of them. They only had 2 nVidia 6800's (not GT/Ultra).

Basically, I gotsta get my card online.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Cold Shadow said:
Get the phucking 6800GT it ownz the x800pro

Well Ati is 30% faster in Half Life 2. Wait till the new OGL drivers come out before you pronouce them dead in Doom3.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
The new drivers will take care of those probelms for ATi.

Anyway, anyone have a site? I'm going for the X800 over the 6800 regardless.

Ryu

Those new beta drivers REALLY increase performce on ATI's cards for Doom 3. It's really impressive how much of a leap it affords your experience.

Izzy

Banned
Society said:
Well Ati is 30% faster in Half Life 2.

Preliminary Half Life 2 benches:

dx1sf_1024_pure.gif

dx1sf_1280_pure.gif

dx1sf_1600_pure.gif

Izzy

Banned
Ryu said:
Those new beta drivers REALLY increase performce on ATI's cards for Doom 3. It's really impressive how much of a leap it affords your experience.

I don't think so.

DaveBaumann

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFAIK these are the same drivers that Kyle has already used, which mean the driver you have will probably give even suckier performance.

I've just sent an e-mail to various bods at ATI suggesting that releasing a driver in September is pretty shoddy support for current users, as for many it will be far too late. Stopped short of sending it to Dave Orton though!

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14650

Izzy

Banned
nubbe said:
Well, i got about 10FPS more with the 4.9 drivers

I thought 4.9 was due in September.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.computerbase.de/news/treiber/g

ATI used 4.9 drivers during the official Doom 3 benchmarking.

DaveBaumann

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:15 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyle used 8.05 - I've just downloaded a zip file called "8-05-Drivers.zip" that ATI says corresponds to Cat 4.9

Mrbob

Izzy said:
Perhaps, but until somebody posts it, these benchmarks stay the only empirical evidence.

Yeah but their pretty much worthless benchmarks.

Nvidia isn't the only ones who have tricks. 3DC is gonna give ATI x800 cards a big boost and HL2 is supposed to fully support it. 3DC isn't reflected in the beta benches.

Mrbob

Izzy said:
B E T A

Official are due mid September.

Well, I've ben following ATI for the last couple driver releases since buying my 9800PRO and their usually isn't a big difference - if any at all - between beta drivers and official ones.

Izzy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah but their pretty much worthless benchmarks.

Nvidia isn't the only ones who have tricks. 3DC is gonna give ATI x800 cards a big boost and HL2 is supposed to fully support it. 3DC isn't reflected in the beta benches.

3DC improves image quality and saves valuable video card memory. It doesn't improve frame rate.

nubbe

Izzy said:
B E T A

Official are due mid September.
Yup, and I have about 10 more frames thanks to them, it will be interesting to see the boost the official drivers will provide.

Or you maybe think ATI used the final 4.9 drivers during the official benchmark?

Izzy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Well, I've ben following ATI for the last couple driver releases since buying my 9800PRO and their usually isn't a big difference - if any at all - between beta drivers and official ones.

Yeah. The trouble is, 4.9 has already been used for the official D3 benchmark and it's nothing to shout about. ATI should pass it up and move straight onto 5.0.

Izzy

Banned
nubbe said:
Or you maybe think ATI used the final 4.9 drivers during the official benchmark?

They're the same. Read.

DaveBaumann

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:43 pm Post subject:

AFAIK these are the same drivers that Kyle has already used, which mean the driver you have will probably give even suckier performance.

I've just sent an e-mail to various bods at ATI suggesting that releasing a driver in September is pretty shoddy support for current users, as for many it will be far too late. Stopped short of sending it to Dave Orton though!

Mrbob

shpankey said:
newegg.com is the best.

Usually, but they have been gouging the X800.

Badabing is there a reason you want the X800PRO so badly? You want to play Doom 3. The 6800GT will handle Doom 3 much better. Plus its the same price. Actually, that's not true. You can usually find the 6800GT for cheaper. Well, whatever, its your money.

I'd recommend trying to grab an X800PRO from bestbuy.com if you can find it. At least they charge retail price for the X800PRO. Allstarshop is just as reliable as newegg though.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Well, because you are an Izzy Stradlin fan, I will look for some Geforce 6800 GT's... but man, I've never turned my back on ATi :(

I don't have the extra $100 for the XT, by the way.

I will be playing Half Life 2 way more than Doom III.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Wish he joined Velvet Revolver when he had the chance, though. That would have made for some quality music. :(

rastex

Banned
Don't believe his lies!!!

Izzy was exposed in a previous thread for showing very misleading benchmark pictures. His continued incistence on showing these same benchmarks even after being defrauded is very suspect.

I'll bring up the relevant link shortly.

Izzy

Banned
Badabing said:
Wish he joined Velvet Revolver when he had the chance, though. That would have made for some quality music. :(

He was actually in for a while, but when they mentioned touring, he was gone. Too bad.

rastex

Banned
Here's a caution about OCing:

The absolute fastest card we've seen for Doom 3 has been the 6800 Ultra series of cards. Though, after experiencing multiple issues with our eVGA Ultra Extreme part (it won't make it through one benchmark run at GT speeds anymore), we are reminded of John Carmack's comment about Doom 3 taxing graphics cards in ways beyond current games and that this fact may cause problems for those who overclock their cards. Could this cause issues with factory overclocked cards, or is our experience just an unfortunate coincidence? Only time will tell, though Doom 3 will be our new graphics overclocking benchmark just to make sure we aren't pushing our cards too high in future vendor reviews.
From Anandtech's article

Anyway, if the $400 pricerange is what you're looking at then the 6800GT is actually the better buy (by quite a long ways).

Izzy

Banned
GT already performs amazing in Doom 3. No need for overclock there.

3428.png

3429.png

I'll overclock it in HL2, CS2 and F.E.A.R for some Ultra performance style.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Izzy said:
Preliminary or not, they're the only empirical eveidence we've got. Now what happened to that 30% difference?

Nothing happened.

"Minimum system requirements appear to be a 1.2 gigahertz processor with 256 megabytes of RAM and a DirectX 7 video card. Of course, those of you interested in the full experience will want a 2 gigahertz or higher processor, 512 megabytes of RAM and a DirectX 9 video card. Doug specifically stated that the ATI x800 was the card of choice amongst many of the testers, as it ran roughly about 30% faster than Nvidia's best cards."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/535/535268p1.html

Izzy

Banned
tenchir said:
Good god, what idiots buy a $400 videocard based on the performance of a single game(Doom 3 on this case)?

Doom 3 engine games: Doom 3, Quake IV, Return to the Castle Wolfeinstein 2... and many other.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Izzy said:
Doom 3 engine games: Doom 3, Quake IV, Return to the Castle Wolfeinstein... and many other.

Only one of those games is out. By the time the other two come out, if they even do and assuming you mean a new Wolfeinstein game and not the Q3 driven RTCW, the card will be well below $400.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
newegg.com owns any retailer, especially if you live in a state where tax doesn't apply to online sales.

Don't listen to Izzy. He's a rabid Nvidia fanboy. He just posted a thread posting benches, without a linked, and he selected all the benches where Nvidia stomped Ati, and completely ignored the equal amount of tests where Ati beat Nvidia.

Nvidia is faster for Doom 3. But wait to see what the new drivers do. I'm about to test them out.

Izzy

Banned
More Doom 3 games:

Title: Quake IV
Developer: Raven Software
Release Date: TBA
Announced: August 10, 2001
Official Site: None
Known information:
» Basic development started at the beginning of 2001, since Raven has been working on three other games by that time actual development started Q2 2002.
» Single-player focused, will feature basic multiplayer support.
» Continuation of the storyline from Quake 2.
» Same GUI system will be used as in DOOM3.
» Vehicles will probably be included.

Title: TBA
Developer: Human Head
Announced: TBA
Known information:
» All we know is that in April 2003 Human Head have been looking for a level designer to work on their current project using the DOOM3 engine, Could be coincidence but Evil Avatar reported in March 2002 that Human Head started work on Prey which was in development by 3DRealms since 1993 and canceled ~5 years later.

Developer: Nerve Software
Known information:
» Entirely new franchise, not confirmed if it will be using the DOOM3 engine, but we can be sure they are. Quote from their site: "Nerve is currently crafting concepts and ideas in collaboration with Id Software for a future project".

Developer: Gray Matter Studios

Developer: Splash Damage
Known information:
» Splash Damage has been co-developing the multiplayer maps for DOOM3, now they started work on a new full game.

Well, so far we have Quake IV, Call of Duty 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein 2, something from Human Head, something from Splash Damage (maybe RTCW2 but I sure hope not), and something from Nerve. Conveniently all published by Activision, but hey.

Q4 and COD2 are slated for fiscal year 2006 (April 2005 -> March 2006) according to Activision's conference call, and I'd also be very surprised if Raven don't whip out Dark Forces 5 and Soldier of Fortune 3 after they're done on Quake and the X-Men game.

Top Bottom