• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEWARE THE LATEST GTA SAN ANDREAS STEAM UPDATE !!!11!!

Yagharek

Same, I don't have it installed at the minute since I got my new PC, I guess I'll never be able to play the full version again :/

Surely there are still millions of disc versions out in the wild on other systems? Worst case scenario, grab the PS2 version and emulate it.

Disgusting that this has happened of course, but just pointing out there are recourses for people who have been burnt by this.

StayDead

Surely there are still millions of disc versions out in the wild on other systems? Worst case scenario, grab the PS2 version and emulate it.

Disgusting that this has happened of course, but just pointing out there are recourses for people who have been burnt by this.

I don't want to have to go buy a game again that I already fully paid for, I don't really care how cheap it is, it''s the principle of it. Removing things like this in any form of media always really annoys me.

Nzyme32

Make your opinions known

http://www.rockstargames.com/#/?lb=/mouthoff

I think this might be the last straw for me. I simply don't want to spend money on products that will be broken like this, while those on other platforms that digitally own the game have none of their functionality removed.

I'm perfectly understanding of the licencing issues but for someone who bought it in 2007... and then removing things like 1920x1080 - something they got working in a previous update.. and all the unresolved issues with other games

Later rockstar

injurai

Banned
As far as I know it is. Plenty of songs get removed for new sales of games, but not of games already sold.

I'm guessing new sales of the game just can't have those songs, but because steam has no way to differentiate when the game was bought when pushing out updates, everyone is getting screwed over.

Seems like this is a problem valve absolutely needs to address.

Yeah, I bought a product and now it's being pulled away from under my feet. The licensing certainly was from a time when the game was being sold physically. How could my licensed ownership of the game now mean less all of a sudden?

Shengar

It's not just Rockstar at fault, but the clusterfuck music copyright as well assuming that the digital version of San Andreas is still affected by it. Yeah you can added it again with mod but what matters to me is on the principle level.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's not just Rockstar at fault, but the clusterfuck music copyright as well assuming that the digital version of San Andreas is still affected by it. Yeah you can added it again with mod but what matters to me is on the principle level.

No, it's Rockstar's and/or Valve's fault.

There have been tons and tons of licences falling away across any number of games, and it has never affected users who already bought the game, just users buying the games new.

These things are game sales, not game rentals, and every contract in the history of forever has not forced the removal of stuff in already sold games. It'd be close to being downright illegal if there's no small print anywhere letting you know that the songs you are paying for are good for a limited time only.

I'm willing to bet this thing is more Rockstar not wanting to have to deal working with two different versions of the game, when they can just force everyone onto the new version that they have to sell now with Valve getting some of the blame for not allowing games to fork into allowing two different versions of the game go to two different people for situation like this, depending on the sales date.

Yagharek

I don't want to have to go buy a game again that I already fully paid for, I don't really care how cheap it is, it''s the principle of it. Removing things like this in any form of media always really annoys me.

I agree with you on principle, you shouldn't have to buy another copy. Please don't take my comment as being a flippant dismissal of the problem, because I would be ropable if it happened to a game I own.

dose

Not a nice way of saying it but sadly its true.

We have a licence to use the game and there are enough caveats on that licence they can revoke pretty much what they want. Need to read those EULAs.
EULAs don't mean shit in European countries, so they can't use that as an argument.

dose

Why are people trying to spin this into some kind of anti-digital shit? This is just Rockstar fucking up
It seems like you haven't read any of the thread. Valve have also disabled the abailty for you to stop updates in Steam games, so people are forced to download and apply these changes. Shitty practice.

Soodanim

How is San Andreas on PCSX2? I still have my launch PS2 (PAL) copy. I can't help but think it's the better way to go if I want to play this again.

bud23

Valve have also disabled the abailty for you to stop updates in Steam games, so people are forced to download and apply these changes. Shitty practice.

Exactly, it's all Valve fault, but don't you dare criticise uncle Gabe!!

Fucking Rockstar man, I hate them.

Shengar

No, it's Rockstar's and/or Valve's fault.

There have been tons and tons of licences falling away across any number of games, and it has never affected users who already bought the game, just users buying the games new.

These things are game sales, not game rentals, and every contract in the history of forever has not forced the removal of stuff in already sold games. It'd be close to being downright illegal if there's no small print anywhere letting you know that the songs you are paying for are good for a limited time only.

I'm willing to bet this thing is more Rockstar not wanting to have to deal working with two different versions of the game, when they can just force everyone onto the new version that they have to sell now with Valve getting some of the blame for not allowing games to fork into allowing two different versions of the game go to two different people for situation like this, depending on the sales date.
I see, thanks for the clarification and correcting my incorrect assumption.
So yeah, either Valve or Rockstar or both are at fault.

jimi_dini

I'm perfectly understanding of the licencing issues

Then they should have just removed the ability to purchase the original version from Steam store and put another version up for purchase.

It's not acceptable that they remove stuff from owners, who bought it years ago. That's like Nintendo removing Donkey Kong Country 1-3 from Wii shop and they would remove it from everyone's Wii as well just because they weren't allowed to sell it anymore.

Fuck digital distribution. I'm waiting for the day where PSN will push out "updates" to remove songs as well. That's not acceptable.

2. Valve changing the way updates work is some bullshit. Why can't I just never update a game if that's the way I want to go? Why is that option gone?

Wouldn't that help much? Can you backup all the games from your PC, so you can keep some special version even when your computer breaks down? If not, then you would get the new version as soon as you get a new computer.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
How is San Andreas on PCSX2? I still have my launch PS2 (PAL) copy. I can't help but think it's the better way to go if I want to play this again.

There's a weird ass reflection that covers half the screen on pcsx2 1.2.1 on the US version

The listed workaround on the wiki is
Workaround: Set Skip Draw to 3 under HW Hacks to remove the effect. Causes a couple minor rendering issues but fixes the larger problem. For the PAL version use Shadeboost to set the Brightness to ~85.

UnrealEck

I don't even have this game on PC but I have it on PS2 and I still have a pretty immaculate PS2 to play it on. In SD. With crap framerate. And 4:3 ratio.

Gaogaogao

so can you put the songs back in and fix the resolution?

its like you cant play a gta game without modding it.

if they patched vice city today, would they really need to take out music because of a lapsed license?

FFP2

That's not so bad. The song licenses probably expired and Xinput support is more than worth it. Does it have the same problem that the 360 has where the audio during cutscenes keeps cutting out?

Honestly, I don't even care what the songs are. What a shitty precedent. Definitely makes me think twice about supporting Rockstar, especially digitally. They're basically saying there's no limit to how much they're willing to alter their games after you paid for them. Really gross and bad for consumers.

Hey thanks for picking my pocket Rockstar! I'll remember that the next time you are hawking some broken port.

What a garbage-tier pub they have turned into.

This doesn't sound very legal to me... Especially since this update is forced on owners without their consent in a non-online title. This isn't removing an over powered ability from a multiplayer game, this is removing features from a single player game.

Nzyme32

Then they should have just removed the ability to purchase the original version from Steam store and put another version up for purchase.

It's not acceptable that they remove stuff from owners, who bought it years ago. That's like Nintendo removing Donkey Kong Country 1-3 from Wii shop and they would remove it from everyone's Wii as well just because they weren't allowed to sell it anymore.

Fuck digital distribution. I'm waiting for the day where PSN will push out "updates" to remove songs as well. That's not acceptable.

I didn't say it was acceptable and it should be pretty clear from my post that that is what I imply. They can very easily do as stated but haven't done despite actually doing it right in vice city.

And no, let's not "fuck digital distribution" due to the obtuse workings of the smallest minority of developers / publishers

anddo0

So controller support? Sweet!

Have you seen what's the trade for this?

Seriously, Rockstar, that's shameless. With all the money they're making with the damn franchise they could at least just buy the rights to continue to put these songs in the game instead of just cutting everything,

It has real controller support now ? Kinda makes me wanna play it now.

The trade off sucks. But, I can live with it.. Controller support is welcome.

I hate the fact that R* is removing content. But digital gaming is finicky to begin with, so this is all par for the course.

A downgrade update? How can they get away with this? The game was purchased with said content they can't just remove it.

rockstar to consumers:

VqNCCXF.gif

Oni Jazar

R* should have delisted the old game from steam and added a version for new buyers. This right here is bullshit.

I hope modders can bring it all back including the songs.

jimi_dini

And no, let's not "fuck digital distribution" due to the obtuse workings of the smallest minority of developers / publishers

Still Rockstar is not some tiny developer. They could have done it properly (keep old version, release new version for customers who purchase it from now on), I think they should be able to afford it, but they just don't give a shit about their customers. Valve could stop it as well, but they also don't give a shit. Valve for example could have stopped companies from doing something like this via contracts, they could also allow customers to get a specific version and stop updates from happening. Digital distribution would allow something like that, but they don't, because they don't give a shit. They even force customers to get that "update".

And the only way to stop all of them from doing what they are currently doing is simply not buying digitally at all. Noone can remove the songs from my physical copy of PS2 GTA:SA.

The problem with all of this is also: other developers/publlishers will learn from it. "Rockstar removed all sorts of songs via "update" and just a tiny minority of customers complained, some didn't find it that bad because modders could be able to reinsert the content, some even defended it and they keep on buying digitally, we should do this as well, will save us money". Fuck this digital "future".

btw. for example amazon deleted the digital book "1984" from their customer's Kindles as well.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html This is not the first time that digital distribution is abused by some major company.

I'll bet that GTA 5 PC has just lost a lot of sales.

The people planning on buying it will still be playing it on PC though, don't worry about that...

Nzyme32

Still Rockstar is not some tiny developer. They could have done it properly (keep old version, release new version for customers who purchase it from now on), I think they should be able to afford it, but they just don't give a shit about their customers. Valve could stop it as well, but they also don't give a shit. Valve for example could have stopped companies from doing something like this via contracts, they could also allow customers to get a specific version and stop updates from happening. Digital distribution would allow something like that, but they don't, because they don't give a shit. They even force customers to get that "update".

And the only way to stop all of them from doing what they are currently doing is simply not buying digitally at all. Noone can remove the songs from my physical copy of PS2 GTA:SA.

The problem with all of this is also: other developers/publlishers will learn from it. "Rockstar removed all sorts of songs via "update" and just a tiny minority of customers complained, some didn't find it that bad because modders could be able to reinsert the content, some even defended it and they keep on buying digitally, we should do this as well, will save us money". Fuck this digital "future".

btw. for example amazon deleted the digital book "1984" from their customer's Kindles as well.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html This is not the first time that digital distribution is abused by some major company.

Why is the perceived "size" of a developer or publisher even relevant to this conversation? They still represent a very small minority of publishers and developers that have done something like this. There countless advantages that have been demonstrated and used by a multitude of pubs and devs particularly via steam and other platforms. Rockstar are only one of thousands releasing content, why should there decisions be more defining of digital distribution than the thousands of others using it positively? And of course I'm aware it has happened before on Steam and other services, it is still most assuredly a minority. The fear mongering of the supposed weight of rockstar meaning this will become common place has no evidence to support it as this is not an growing phenomenon at this time.

And the retail argument is even more preposterous. I've lost countless of my old games on consoles from og xbox, wii, ps3, etc thanks to withdrawal of service, and lack of server or content control. Day one patches exist for every platform and if you take the decision to stay "vanilla" and stop updates to play your retail copy offline only and not have any content changed, also denies you the additional content that is to come, updates, patches, community etc. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

The only cases where retail makes sense is non-online conected games that are now only older console titles. This ownership of content debate is void from the start now, whether retail or digital. Its all a matter of trust in your platform provider and the pub/devs. Currently from a Steam user perspective going on 10 years soon, I have lost 0 games despite then licencing issues that result in games being removed from sale and this is the first game that I own to have essentially removed longstanding content. Compared to the other services and platforms I have used in my life time, that is fairly significant.

Edit: and let's not forget at least via PC and Steam, users can have backup copies of this now lost content, and a fix is already available for all the issues thanks to the community support for it. Obviously not the ideal solution, but one that consistently remains possible for the majority of games

If you haven't updated yet, you should be able to backup the following files and then restore them after the update in order to keep the songs.

http://www.gtagaming.com/news/comments.php?i=2344

Some of the songs they removed are some of the best in the game. Glad I have to retail release. :/

Are you sure this works? Because I copy-pasted the audio folder from a backup I did a week ago, and so far (about an hour in) I haven't heard any of the songs that has been removed. :(

fokkusu

Are you sure this works? Because I copy-pasted the audio folder from a backup I did a week ago, and so far (about an hour in) I haven't heard any of the songs that has been removed. :(

I tried to copy & paste those files from the retail disc and haven't heard yet the missing tracks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well I guess since I don't have it installed on this computer since I recently formatted... that I'm completely SOL. What a bunch of bs.
Same here, I had bought the franchise pack but only have Vice City installed right now. Looks like I won't be able to prevent those songs from disappearing :/

Good job Rockstar. First the GTA V DRM and now this...

Damn this is some major screwiing over of PC gamers by Rockstar. Just looked now and the butchered broken PC version of GTA SA is £9.99 on Steam yet the updated Xbox 360 version is still available for £2.99 on Xbox Live.

At this point all I can think is that Rockstar are carrying out some sort of social experiment to discover how much they can truly fuck PC gamers over. I used to be a huge GTA fan but the sheer contempt Rockstar has shown for my preferred platform killed that.

But don't forget guys GTA 5 on the PC is gonna be wonderful and fantastic, it is totally going to be optimised and blah de bloody blah.

Rapstah

So why is it 400 MBs large? Is there some way to break down what the update actually contains instead of what it does?

rocK`

Banned
I don't understand. If I pay for a game with X content, I get X things. If I want more, the industry charges me more called DLC. But the gaming companies are free to reduce X without reimbursing me? Does not seem like fair trade. I don't own X, seems like I'm simply borrowing it.

Sentenza

Unlikable move, but in the end the resolution support is the only genuinely annoying step back, considering how you can manually add whatever song you want to the radio on PC.

Lime

I think there's a moral justification for obtaining an old copy through the Internet at this point.

Unlikable move, but in the end the resolution support is the only genuinely annoying step back, considering how you can manually add whatever song you want to the radio on PC.

I disagree, I would like to have the stuff working out of the box, and not having to fiddle around with which vanilla songs are unavailable, putting them into the correct radio station, etc.

So i spent £55(!) on the PSN version of the remastered GTAV and in a few years (if licences have expired) they could remove content from the game?

Fuck!

Top Bottom